365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hill Workouts

3 posters

Go down

Hill Workouts Empty Hill Workouts

Post  Ben Z Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:26 am

Great article by Pete Magill in Running Times this month about hill workouts.

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=24629&PageNum=2

After being inspired by this article I opted to incorporate some of the key points in to an otherwise boring treadmill run last night. Thought I would share the workout in case anyone wanted to try something similar, and hopefully new next time they are confined to the treadmill. Originally the workout was going to be 12 miles easy/moderate at 1%. The new workout was:

12 miles total in 2 mile segments

1. 2 miles at easy, 1% incline
  2. 2 miles easy, 4% incline (note: I dropped the pace/mph to compensate for the incline but my heart rate was slightly higher than during the first 2 mile segment. I was probably working 5-6 beats/minute harder or 10-15 seconds/mile on flat ground; lowered the treadmill from 7.7mph to 7.0mph)
  3. 2 miles easy, 1% incline
  4. 2 miles easy/moderate, 5% incline (lower the speed by 0.1 mph)
  5. 2 miles easy, 1% incline
  6. 2 miles moderate, 6% incline (lower the speed by 0.1 mph)

It made the run go much faster and I felt like I had to really focus on my form running uphill for that long. It was a nice change of pace - pun intended.

Happy running everyone!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Hill Workouts Empty Re: Hill Workouts

Post  Dave-O Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 am

That actually looks quite challenging. You only slowed by .1 mph going from 2% to 6% incline? Thats impressive.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Dave-O wrote:That actually looks quite challenging. You only slowed by .1 mph going from 2% to 6% incline? Thats impressive.

No, I may have typed it wrong but I slowed 0.1mph from 4-5% and then slowed 0.1mph again from 5-6%. Looking at the pace charts this is only like running 10-15 seconds/mile faster on flat ground. Not that hard at all really.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm

A 2-mile stretch at that pace is what, 16 minutes? Those are some long intervals. I typically cap my muscular endurance intervals at ~8min.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down