365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Garmin Footpod works?

+2
Stephanie
Jerry
6 posters

Go down

How Garmin Footpod works? Empty How Garmin Footpod works?

Post  Jerry Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Brief read online. It seems that the cadence is always right, but stride length has error by design. If the stride length is different than the calibrated one, the pace's accuracy varies too.

So, if I want to use the footpod to a marathon, I should recalibrate with my MP?

Can I activate footpod to record my cadence while use the GPS to pace?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

How Garmin Footpod works? Empty Re: How Garmin Footpod works?

Post  Stephanie Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Jerry wrote:Can I activate footpod to record my cadence while use the GPS to pace?

Yes, that's how I use it. Hopefully someone can help you with your other questions.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Yes, if you want to use the footpod for distance in the marathon calibrate it at MP. The advantage to using the footpod is that the battery lasts a lot longer if you don't use the GPS. The downside is that it isn't as accurate as the GPS. I typically use the GPS for distance and the footpod to monitor cadence.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Yes, if you want to use the footpod for distance in the marathon calibrate it at MP. The advantage to using the footpod is that the battery lasts a lot longer if you don't use the GPS. The downside is that it isn't as accurate as the GPS. I typically use the GPS for distance and the footpod to monitor cadence.

Ha, I always thought the footpod is more accurate than GPS. Basketball affraid
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Jerry wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Yes, if you want to use the footpod for distance in the marathon calibrate it at MP. The advantage to using the footpod is that the battery lasts a lot longer if you don't use the GPS. The downside is that it isn't as accurate as the GPS. I typically use the GPS for distance and the footpod to monitor cadence.

Martin VW would agree with you, but you are both wrong Smile
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

JohnP wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Martin VW would agree with you, but you are both wrong Smile

Haha, never used it and probably got the idea from VW.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:49 pm

The "which is more accurate" debate doesn't have a clear winner. It depends on many factors.

GPS accuracy is based on where the Garmin thinks it is compared to where it really is. These are never the same. The "thinks it is" location is where the Garmin calculated its location based on the satellite signals received. From that spot, if you draw a circle around it using the X ft accuracy as the radius, then the actual location of the Garmin would be within that circle. On short distances, the error range could result in significant differences. The longer the distance traveled, the more these errors tend to cancel each other out, but they never cancel out completely. If you look at a recorded route, the path always seems to zig-zag all over the place. Quality of the signal plays a huge factor. Running in a straight line through a wide-open corn field on a clear day will give you better results than winding through downtown Chicago with the typical mid-west overcast. Running in circles around the track creates problems too because the more you change directions, the more inaccurate the GPS is.

The foot pod's accuracy is not location-based, but stride-based. This means the distance calculated is based on how far the accelerometer thinks it traveled with each stride. Garmin claims that this can be 99% accurate when properly calibrated. If the calculated stride length is 99% of the actual stride length, this 1% error becomes more significant the further you run - 1% of 26.2 miles is significantly more than 1% of 400 meters.

The main issue with the accelerometers is the number of factors that impact the accuracy. If you calibrated the foot pod using the left shoe of an everyday trainer and then run with it on the right shoe of a pair of racing flats, it will not calculate the same. Running speed plays a factor. If your stride length changes with speed, then running at anything other than the calibrated speed will create more errors. Factoring in all the things that impact accuracy, Garmin still claims that it should be within 95% accurate.

So which is better? It depends.

If I were running in Chicago with all the building that mess up the GPS accuracy, I think I'd use the foot pod and accept that it would be 99% accurate (or close to it). In a Nebraska corn field, the GPS would probably be better.

Don't get me started on the accuracy of the Garmin GPS with significant changes in elevation.

Also, some would argue that the GPS is more accurate because airplanes use them and they have to be accurate. Yes, airplane GPS receivers are much more sophisticated than a little strap on running watch. Airplanes also use altometers to calculate altitude based on barometric pressure.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Tim M wrote:
The foot pod's accuracy is not location-based, but stride-based. This means the distance calculated is based on how far the accelerometer thinks it traveled with each stride. Garmin claims that this can be 99% accurate when properly calibrated. If the calculated stride length is 99% of the actual stride length, this 1% error becomes more significant the further you run - 1% of 26.2 miles is significantly more than 1% of 400 meters.

So if we stride different length than the calibrated, Garmin blame on us. Basketball

Thanks for the info, Tim.

Can I assume the cadence is straight forward and always accurate by Garmin?

Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes, the cadence is always accurate.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Yes, the cadence is always accurate.

Cool. I may buy one later. Just curious about my cadence.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Jerry wrote:

Count one foot strike for 30 seconds any time you are running. Its not hard to do. You want the number to be 45. Adjust as needed if it is not. You don't need a footpod to simply count.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Count one foot strike for 30 seconds any time you are running. Its not hard to do. You want the number to be 45. Adjust as needed if it is not. You don't need a footpod to simply count.

Yeah, like you really need the $400 610. scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Jerry wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

The 610 looks cool. I've always though the footpod looks dorky. Not as bad as a fuel belt or a camelback but like those it is another accessory I won't wear despite the fact that something like those things would help me carry fluids.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

The 610 looks cool. I've always though the footpod looks dorky. Not as bad as a fuel belt or a camelback but like those it is another accessory I won't wear despite the fact that something like those things would help me carry fluids.

The newer foot pod is not too bad. Smaller than the older models. I keep meaning to lose mine so I can buy a new small one.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Tim M wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

The newer foot pod is not too bad. Smaller than the older models. I keep meaning to lose mine so I can buy a new small one.

I should do the same. I do a lot of treadmill running so it wouldn't be bad to have one I wore once in awhile. We should have a whole thread on what people think looks cool vs. not cool in running. Certainly there are those who think vibram toe shoes and those compression socks that come up to your knees are wicked awesome looking (maybe even together).
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Chris M wrote:
Tim M wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

I should do the same. I do a lot of treadmill running so it wouldn't be bad to have one I wore once in awhile. We should have a whole thread on what people think looks cool vs. not cool in running. Certainly there are those who think vibram toe shoes and those compression socks that come up to your knees are wicked awesome looking (maybe even together).

Look, if the discussion is just about looking cool, Jerry is out. Jerry is all about serious training.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down