365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin 210 or 610?

5 posters

Go down

Garmin 210 or 610? Empty Garmin 210 or 610?

Post  Ben Z Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

My 405 can't hold a charge for more than a few runs these days. That's just not going to cut it. So I'll do what I did with my 205 when it started to malfunction and try to send it back for a new one.

However, if I cannot get the 405 replaced I am in the market for a new GPS watch. I am looking at both the 210 and the 610. I realize they are very different watches so I'm wondering about a few things based on what is most important to me:

1. Accuracy - do they use the same technology for satellite access?
  2. Battery life - Are they comparable or does the 210 last longer since it's not a fancy dancy color screen?
  3. Size - If I could get away with wearing the watch most of the day I would. I believe I could do with this the 210 but what about the 610? Will it fit under a dress shirt? How goofy would that look?
  4. Use when wet? Looks like both will do OK when wet, true?

Price is not that big of a deal to me as I'll likely cash in some Amazon gift cards for all or part of the cost.

Thanks for any input you can provide in advance amigos.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Garmin 210 or 610? Empty Re: Garmin 210 or 610?

Post  Jerry Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Battery life is a good factor. I never anticipated my 405 would only last for 3 hours not that I have any problem to run a sub 3 marathon. lol!

Having not used 210 or 610, I lean towards 210 because I don't use any fancy functions and would assume the few functions, the better reliability?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Hey Ben, you could just replace the battery.

I wear my 405 as a regular watch and only have to charge it a couple times a week.

I thought the 410 was supposed to have a longer battery life for triathlon usage.

Wendy has the 610 and complains about its accuracy.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Others seem to be fine with the accuracy of the 610.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:44 pm

T Miller wrote:Hey Ben, you could just replace the battery.

Send back to Garmin to replace the battery or DIY?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Jerry wrote:

Don't hold me responsible. Seems Garmin charge $70 to replace it. pirat
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Ben Z wrote:My 405 can't hold a charge for more than a few runs these days. That's just not going to cut it. So I'll do what I did with my 205 when it started to malfunction and try to send it back for a new one.

However, if I cannot get the 405 replaced I am in the market for a new GPS watch. I am looking at both the 210 and the 610. I realize they are very different watches so I'm wondering about a few things based on what is most important to me:

1. Accuracy - do they use the same technology for satellite access?
  2. Battery life - Are they comparable or does the 210 last longer since it's not a fancy dancy color screen?
  3. Size - If I could get away with wearing the watch most of the day I would. I believe I could do with this the 210 but what about the 610? Will it fit under a dress shirt? How goofy would that look?
  4. Use when wet? Looks like both will do OK when wet, true?

Price is not that big of a deal to me as I'll likely cash in some Amazon gift cards for all or part of the cost.

Thanks for any input you can provide in advance amigos.

1. Accuracy - do they use the same technology for satellite access? After talking with the guy at the Garmin store here in Chicago all there gps watches 305,210,405 and 610 all use the same satellite technology. The only thing that changes is the bells and whistles of the watches.
  2. Battery life - Are they comparable or does the 210 last longer since it's not a fancy dancy color screen? battery life is comparable but you can save on battery life on the 610 because you can turn it on and off, it also goes into a battery save mode if not in use.
  3. Size - If I could get away with wearing the watch most of the day I would. I believe I could do with this the 210 but what about the 610? Will it fit under a dress shirt? How goofy would that look? Yes you can wear it day to day and it will fit under a dress shirt.
  4. Use when wet? Looks like both will do OK when wet, true? the thing I love the best about the 610 is the touch screen does not matter how much you sweat or how wet the screen or fingers are you can always switch screens anytime you want. And the screens will not switch unless you switch them another words it is not like the 405 that freaks out when it gets wet.

I have not had any issues or problems with using the 610 so far out of all the garmins I have used it is my favorite. There are a lot of other neat features you can do with the watch that I really love. I also if you get one this month you can send your watch to "Girls on the Run" and they will give you 50 bucks for it. We send in all our old Garmins except the new 405 they just replaced for back-up purposes and got back 200.00 so we one of our 610 for over half off.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Jerry wrote:

I talked to an acquaintance that said he just took his to a local watch shop and had it replaced. I don't know how much it cost though. I'm sure it was cheaper than the price of a new watch.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:58 pm

This is on my website, but I didn't personally write it, one of my ghost writers did it and I edited it. Anyway it has a quick comparison between 4 GPS watches, including the 210 and 610: Choosing the Best GPS Running Watch.

From my personal experience, both watches will fit under a dress shirt, but like the 405 they are a bit clunky. Battery time should be similar on each, but as another here mentioned you can turn off the 610. They both use the same GPS technology, but I have heard some people say they think the 210 gets satellite lock quicker and holds it better than the 610. If you are going to run in wet weather, the 610 touch screen is a nice addition. I get really fed up with my 405 in the rain because of water messing with the bezel functions.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Still haven't decided but I'm leaning towards the 610. Especially since I'll be using it in winter/darkness very soon.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down