365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Garmin 610

Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Garmin 610

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Anyone have the new 610?

My 410 died in February. I tried to go watch and heart rate monitor free. Broke down last week and bought the 610. Very happy with it so far.

Years ago when I had a Polar, I was able to switch heart rate zones during a run. So if I were out on a 15 miler, I could set the alarms for Zones 2, 3, & 4. I could do 10 miles at 60%, 3 miles at 65% and the last 2 miles at 70+%. Anyone know if this is possible with the Garmin 610?
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 195
Points : 3245
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 49
Location : Memphis

View user profile http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Charles I do believe Chris has the new 610. Hopefully he will find his way in here and give you the load down on the 610. From my understanding it is nice and a lot like the 405/410 with some new bells and whistles. Since you 410 is dead it might be worth looking into the new 610.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 6130
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 48
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  Chris M on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:05 pm

I have the 610 and I've been using it for a few weeks. Sorry but I don't know the answer to setting up customized heart rate zones like you asked about. The manual does cover a lot though and here's a link to that:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Forerunner_610_OM_EN.pdf

In general, I like my 610 a lot. As compared to the 405, it is easier to read the numbers on the screen, the touch screen works much better than the 405 bezel and I like that you can have 4 fields instead of 3 (although I still only use 3) and it has a buzzer instead of beep feature if you want to enable it for things like autolap.

An annoying thing happened with mine the other day. Right where the band connects to the watch face, there is a very small silver pin that holds the band in place and allows it to flex more naturally than the 405 band (which is pretty rigid). Problem is that small pin slipped out and the band was no longer connected. I had to take it to a watch repair place and they put a new pin in and sodered (sp?) the silver pins into place on both sides of the band. Only $10 so more annoying than expensive but I didn't like that a 2 week old watch was already having something break.

If you are using a 205/305, I would definitely say its well worth the upgrade to the 610. If you are using a 405.....I'd say stick with what you are using unless you are having problems with it.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 4388
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 50
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:13 pm

@Charles wrote:Anyone have the new 610?

My 410 died in February. I tried to go watch and heart rate monitor free. Broke down last week and bought the 610. Very happy with it so far.

Years ago when I had a Polar, I was able to switch heart rate zones during a run. So if I were out on a 15 miler, I could set the alarms for Zones 2, 3, & 4. I could do 10 miles at 60%, 3 miles at 65% and the last 2 miles at 70+%. Anyone know if this is possible with the Garmin 610?

To your question with the Heart Zone alarms I'm not sure but if you set up those zones in the Garmin Connect it should then safe that profile into the watch and then you should be able to setup the Heart Rate Zones Alarms on the watch. I don't have the 610 but I'm sure that feature is on the 610 since it is on the 405/410.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 6130
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 48
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Good to know. I'll just have to play around with it some more. And I guess read the owner's manual. DAMN! Thanks
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 195
Points : 3245
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 49
Location : Memphis

View user profile http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  Tim M on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:16 pm

I have the new 610 and it can do what you want. You have to create a custom workout and set the HR zones for each step.

The vibrating alarm is a huge plus.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3462
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  dot520 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm

I still have the grandfather watch on my wrist (301). I can't seem to kill that thing off and I can't get myself to buy something new until it's dead!! Sounds like the 610 might be the way to go. Never was too impressed with the 405 reviews from other V or i-teamers.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Posts : 780
Points : 4265
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 62
Location : Indy-sporting the cape of awesomeness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm

@Tim M wrote:I have the new 610 and it can do what you want. You have to create a custom workout and set the HR zones for each step.

The vibrating alarm is a huge plus.

Is the custom workout time based or can I change zones when I want with a touch screen swipe? Thanks
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 195
Points : 3245
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 49
Location : Memphis

View user profile http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  Tim M on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:12 pm

@Charles wrote:
@Tim M wrote:I have the new 610 and it can do what you want. You have to create a custom workout and set the HR zones for each step.

The vibrating alarm is a huge plus.

Is the custom workout time based or can I change zones when I want with a touch screen swipe? Thanks

For each step in the workout, you can set it to end on time, distance or the lap button.

Then for each step you can tell it to maintain a speed range or a heart rate range (or nothing).

This same functionality was available in earlier models also, so nothing new with the 610. What is nice is that the touch screen works with gloves on or when wet. The 405 bezel would freak out. I really like the vibrating alerts since the beeping would bother those running with me or I would not hear them over the music.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3462
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  charles on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:00 pm

@Tim M wrote:
@Charles wrote:
@Tim M wrote:I have the new 610 and it can do what you want. You have to create a custom workout and set the HR zones for each step.

The vibrating alarm is a huge plus.

Is the custom workout time based or can I change zones when I want with a touch screen swipe? Thanks

For each step in the workout, you can set it to end on time, distance or the lap button.

Then for each step you can tell it to maintain a speed range or a heart rate range (or nothing).

This same functionality was available in earlier models also, so nothing new with the 610. What is nice is that the touch screen works with gloves on or when wet. The 405 bezel would freak out. I really like the vibrating alerts since the beeping would bother those running with me or I would not hear them over the music.

THANK YOU TIM! Figured it out. Easy as pie. Thanks!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 195
Points : 3245
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 49
Location : Memphis

View user profile http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Garmin 610 Empty Re: Garmin 610

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum