365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 4 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 4 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:34 am

Hit the gym, this morning. Almost didn't because it seems that getting up at 2 or 3 a.m. monkeys with my sleep cycle. Woke up today at 2:30 for a 4:30 alarm. Did some work until 3:30, then at 4:30, I was very tired and hit the snooze twice.

I did eventually get up.

DANG, it was cold outside. 50 degrees and wet. Now, it's 45 and wet. Tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be howling at 20 mph out of the north. (Should make for wonderful running!)

Did all of the weights, today. Even managed to do all 4 sets of 25 leg lifts.

Had a good time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:36 am

ounce wrote:Regarding our weather up there and down here, it's cold. pale 

Tomorrow, we will be having a Houston Winter day in October.  Low of 48 and a high of 52 with scattered rain.  However, a Winter day in Houston doesn't have rain contributed by a tropical storm.  Zeta is in the Gulf and will be heading to New Orleans as a category 1 hurricane (80-90 mph winds).

Today, our cold front is stuck over Houston in a NE/SW line.  100 miles to the northwest is College Station (Texas A&M) and they're 48 degrees.  Beaumont is 90 miles to the east and it's 80.  The front will be pushed out of here tomorrow.

No highs above 74 for the next 7 days, average is 81.  Finally.

Let's see....My legs are doing fine, late in the afternoon now.  Overall, I'm tired, but not too terribly bad.  I'll be lifting weights in the morning with no running.  At this time, recovery runs don't work for me.  I will run on Thursday and maybe Friday.  Friday will be a double...5 mile run and weights.

I hope the Rays beat the Dodgers tonight and tomorrow, but I won't be up to see it.
Doesn't look like the Rays pulled it off.  I didn't follow the series at all this year.

Fall/winter weather is definitely arriving!  It appears that the cooler weather is making your running much more comfortable.  Nice run!!  And it appears that you're handling the increased mileage and the doubles pretty well.  

I don't really do any leg routines, when I'm at the gym.  Leg lifts is it and that's abdominal.

As far as your struggle, I'm going to guess both.  You're expending energy and using muscles much more than when you were slower and weaker.  My weights routine is all about strength...heavier with shorter reps (4-6 reps, 3 sets).  So, maybe what I'm going through (and may continue to) on doubles is the new normal and I have to figure out the right mix of running and lifting.  In the next week or so, I'll have more time to spread out the workouts and running.

Marty and I have increased our strength training frequency and effort now that irrigation season has come to an end.  Our workout concentrated on legs...squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc all with weights.  I used 25 to 40 lbs and we were doing 3 sets of 50 seconds.  It added up to a lot of leg work in the course of 30 minutes!  I just need to remember to plan on an easy run on days we work on our lower body...and not expect to much out of my legs.

Ohhhhh, Nancy.  Remember last week's back pain that I had?  I figured out what caused it because it started happening again last weekend.  The problem was that I wasn't getting my legs under my upper body enough, so my center of gravity was further out than necessary, which put too much responsibility on the lower back muscles.

I engaged the legs and hips more and VIOLA, fixed.  I was one happy camper.  No pain, this morning.

Good to hear you resolved that issue quickly!!

Happy running...and lifting...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Yes, you're doing more legwork than I would think to do, much less want to do.  Smile  Tomorrow, I'll do a double with a sorta long run, then weights.  I'll see how far into a normal weight day I will achieve.  Thanks, Nancy, for your thoughts on it.

-30-

This morning it was a sultry 44 degrees. affraid But not much wind, that came mid-morning.  I stuck my head out the door and it wasn't a biting 44 degrees.  So, too warm for gloves, but had 2 layers (short sleeved and long sleeved) and a warm skull cap.  Surprising to me, it was a Goldilocks level of dress for the weather.

Today's idea was a faster pace run to see what happens.  3 or 4 miles.  I set the cadence at 162, instead of 161.

3 miles, 39:40, 13:11 pace, 136 avg bpm, 146 max bpm, 160 avg cadence, 0.76 m avg stride length
1.  12:50, 132 bpm, 162 spm, 78 sl
2.  13:15, 138 bpm, 161 spm, 75 sl
3.  13:29, 139 bpm, 159 spm, 75 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 4 KB82DnRZgrgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Term Limits? - Page 4 BEWABwAAwCDqW4gP0uh1b5Sg6QAAAMCgSlyIBwAAABCOEA8AAACkDCEeAAAASBlCPAAAAJAyhHgAAAAgZQjxAAAAQMr8f0Cz3RpVmebWAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Boy, that first mile was something.  Then, around 1.6 miles, I decided to turn around because I reached the apex of my ability or didn't want to overdue it. Rolling Eyes   You can see the cadence became wavy around mile 2.

But, it went well.  Quads were whining equally, which was good it was equal.  Sort of surprised the HR wasn't higher, but that means I haven't reached a level of exertion that causes the heart to have to get out of its hammock.

Tomorrow will be a double with me running 5 or 6 miles, then weights.  Probably 5 miles.  Should be in the 40s again, in the morning.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Nice run!  It's fun to do some shorter, faster stuff just to see how it goes...and it went well.

Your cadence graphs are interesting...and telling.  Looks like you made the right choice to turn around at the point you did.

I am...as usual...impressed with your HR.  I would imagine that you would have seen some HR drift if you'd continued on but still impressive even if you take the shorter distance into consideration.

It's obvious the summer runs are paying off!

Hope the 5 goes well in the morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:54 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice run!  It's fun to do some shorter, faster stuff just to see how it goes...and it went well.

Your cadence graphs are interesting...and telling.  Looks like you made the right choice to turn around at the point you did.

I am...as usual...impressed with your HR.  I would imagine that you would have seen some HR drift if you'd continued on but still impressive even if you take the shorter distance into consideration.

It's obvious the summer runs are paying off!

Hope the 5 goes well in the morning.
Yes, ma'am, it's good to see what happens when I can try to turn it up a notch.  The weather was tailor made for that notch.

I think had I continued to 4 miles, my HR would have lessened because I couldn't keep up the cadence.  I want to believe you, but my heart knows that I can't lug around 235 pound quickly, so there's no need for the heart to beat any faster than it has to beat.  Hopefully, I can surprise it, some run.

Thanks, Nancy.

-30-

Friday morning was to be a double, being a 5 or 6 mile run and then weights.  It was 50 degrees when I left to run and 48 when I got back.  Same shirts set up as on Tuesday, long sleeve and short sleeve.  It was a bit warmer, but not too uncomfortable.  161 cadence

5 miles, 1:11:52, 14:21 pace, 130 avg bpm, 137 max bpm, 155 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:22, 2nd half pace 14:20.

1.  14:32, 124 bpm, 160 spm, 69 sl
2.  13:57, 133 bpm, 158 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:31, 129 bpm, 153 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:26, 131 bpm, 151 spm, 75 sl
5.  14:19, 132 bpm, 151 spm, 74 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 4 9t54KW4w2mWAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Term Limits? - Page 4 I2Sn5Prq6dcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

My runs, like this one, are out 'n backs.  You can see the cadence graph and notice that the pier was a bit longer than 1.5 miles.  BUT, you can also tell where I turned around because I had to stop to pee.

For this run, I really wanted to have the cadence to be the best that I could.  And I think I did that because I didn't have any splits in the 140's.  So, that was good.  Both hip flexors whined a bit during the last mile, but considering that I did a faster 5 on Thursday, then this on Friday.  It's all good.

Afterwards, I went to the gym.  And THAT went well, considering I just ran 5 miles.  I did almost all of my usual workout.  I didn't do the leg lifts because I ran out of time.  That would've caused some quad whining, too.  As Friday moved into the evening, I didn't have much discomfort or tiring, as in prior doubles.  I wonder if the low temps of the morning was part of the reason?

My schedule is such that Mondays are now available, so I am figuring to run on Monday morning.  A long run.  Thinking 12 miles.

18 miles for this week.  Popcorn will be available for Monday's run report.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:58 pm

I received a card in the mail last week from The Associated Press that appeared legit.  It was a 10 minute survey.

"The short short survey will inform news coverage across the country about policy issues facing your state and the nation.  it will allow researchers and policymakers to hear the opinions of voters and nonvoters. NORC at the University of Chicago is conducting the survey for The Associated Press."

There were about 6 paragraphs on one side and the address with a scratch-off code on the other.  I could call or go online.  I did it this morning.

It was thorough.  Covered topics of the day and its relation to the upcoming election.  For me, the toughest question was a question after asking my religious affiliation, which I selected 'protestant.'  Paraphrased, the question was 'do you consider yourself a born-again or evangelical Christian?'  I know I'm born-again, but I am not an evangelical Christian and 'evangelical Christian' would pigeon hole me into an area that I do not wish to be.  So, I said no.

The only 'sensitive' personal data was yearly income.  If I can upload the card here, I'll do it.

-30-

Tomorrow, I'll work on doing 12.  The 3 mile loop at Memorial Park will be closed beginning at 4 a.m., tomorrow for a week because the golf course that's within the 3 mile loop will be having the Houston Open, next weekend, and I guess it'll be televised.  They've re-built the golf course.

But I have to majorly adjust my course, tomorrow.  Should be interesting.  Ought to be about 48 degrees with a 100% chance of dark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:01 pm

ThisTerm Limits? - Page 4 20201112
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:14 pm

Sounds like you're adjusting to your doubles quite nicely.

I sometimes take the time to do those surveys but not always.  I find them annoying but if they don't get a good response from a wide sector of society they aren't very helpful.  Good for you for taking the time to respond.  

I'll make sure I have my popcorn ready for your Monday run report.  Hope the new route goes well and that you have nice temps.

Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:49 am

I think the weather being cooler makes a difference.

Regarding the survey, I don't get the opportunity to be asked, so I really wanted to do it. Even more, I want to see a copy of the results.

-30-
Will report later on the run, but in a word...wow. Not WOW or Wow!!! But, wow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:38 am

ounce wrote:I think the weather being cooler makes a difference.

Regarding the survey, I don't get the opportunity to be asked, so I really wanted to do it.  Even more, I want to see a copy of the results.  

-30-
Will report later on the run, but in a word...wow.  Not WOW or Wow!!!  But, wow.
I'll get the popcorn ready.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:08 pm

It was 52 degrees when I started and 49 when I finished, so nothing drastic.  Calm winds, too.  My goal was to run the 12 and finish, while not plodding the first 10 miles.  It would be okay to plod the last 2.  Cadence was 161.

Last night, I had checked out the adjustment to my usual route at Memorial Park and had a good idea how to execute.  I also made me a half PB&J as my pre-run meal, then carried with me a small pack of 2 Oreos for during the run (courtesy of the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center for donating platelets.  I got more stuff, but I didn't eat those until now).  I am so pleased that I remembered to prepare both.  It was a great help.

12 miles, 2:46:08, 13:50 pace, 131 avg bpm, 145 max bpm, 160 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:54, 2nd half pace 13:46
1.  14:26, 119 bpm, 160 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:49, 132 bpm, 160 spm, 73 sl
3.  13:24, 133 bpm, 159 spm, 72 sl
4.  13:55, 133 bpm, 161 spm, 72 sl
5.  13:48, 130 bpm, 159 spm, 72 sl
6.  14:10, 127 bpm, 160 spm, 71 sl
7.  14:03, 127 bpm, 160 spm, 71 sl
8.  14:05, 128 bpm, 158 spm, 72 sl
9.  13:45, 131 bpm, 159 spm, 73 sl
10. 14:07, 133 bpm, 157 spm, 74 sl
11. 13:30, 137 bpm, 160 spm, 74 sl
12. 12:58, 142 bpm, 160 spm, 77 sl  wow

HR zones
Zone 3   126 bpm to 143 bpm
Term Limits? - Page 4 V0LJAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Term Limits? - Page 4 W+UodvbHuFH2gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Everything clicked.  I didn't overdress, but felt chilled for miles 3-7.  I ate something before leaving and the 2 Oreos at mile 7.75 to provide a sugar rush for the brain.  My math skills worked during mile 6 (more on that later).  AND my cadence recovered around mile 9.6

There wasn't much going on before mile 4, except a short cadence drop around mile 1.6.  I don't know why, but I dismissed it.  It could be that's a usual point where my cadence begins to fluctuate.

As mentioned earlier, the 3 mile running loop was to close at 4 a.m.  So, I left early enough to be on the trail at 4 a.m., so I could either be pushed off or see if there was activity.  When I got there, the only part that was closed was the road that surrounds 2 miles of the running loop.  The running loop was open!  I was pleased that I didn't have to get on Memorial Drive for miles 4-8.  Later in the week, I expect the running loop to be, in fact, closed for runners because of the setting up for television, lots of golfers, support staff, ATV's, etc.  As I ran past the driving range, there were 6 or so big trailers parked for access to the golfers.  Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway, Titlelist, etc.  The weather will be beautiful...like it always is! Rolling Eyes 

After figuring out I could run on the loop, I started calculating the turnaround point.  I determined it for a 13 mile run by doing the loop twice and plugging the difference on the side road to the polo grounds that I did a week or two before.  But I didn't want to run 13.  I was doing good to the point I was at and decided to just run 12.  Where's a calculator when you need one?

I knew all the distance splits at specific points, so I just added the known distances, then subtracted 12, then divided that number by 2, then added that to the distance I was at and POOF! the turnaround point was 7.75 miles.  THAT ended up to be the bathroom.  What luck!  After flushing the City some business, I ate the 2 Oreos.  I ended up stopping 4 times during the run.  Twice to input and twice to output.  Oreos really taste good at 7.75 miles.

Now, I draw your attention to the Run Cadence chart.  On the 10 mile runs, there were two distinct drops in cadence, which were going under railroad tracks, once heading to the loop and the other returning.  Please note there is no drop in cadence at 3.3 miles, today, and I still went under the railroad tracks. Approval   I hadn't really noticed that while running.  But that just means that I'm adapted to the railroad tracks.

Today, there were 3 drops in cadence.  There should've been 5.  One was just explained.  Two of the cadence drops at 4.2 and 6.6 were this 1/4 mile drop and rise.  There should've been another as part of the turnaround, but the Oreos kicked in and there wasn't a 4th drop.  That leaves the 5th drop near mile 10. This is the return journey under the railroad tracks.  This one usually lasts longer because I'm getting tired, etc.  It didn't disappoint.

After slowing long enough (check the split for mile 10), I got back on my mule (not a donkey) and stuck to the cadence for the rest of the run.  I even sped up in order to maintain the cadence!  At about 11.6, I checked the pace and it was 13:03.  Hmmmmmmm.  Could I get a sub-13 split?????  Yyyyyyup!

This run fits the definition of a WOW run.  Good planning.  No real pier.  Good splits.  Some speed at the end.  A negative split.  Heart rate and lungs were doing their jobs.  And I didn't fall down.

The only niggle was the right hip flexor whined most of the run.  The left whined a bit from miles 9-12.  Still, a worry free run.  I do think that I need to get on the abductor machine to strengthen those lateral upper thigh muscles.

I'm tickled to death.  Thanks for wasting your time on this. Laughing
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:31 pm

Wow is right!  Not much more to say.  I can't believe you can run that distance with a negative split while maintaining/increasing your cadence and post HR numbers like that!  Your max HR looks more like my normal average HR. 

I'll have to admit that I went straight to your cadence graph and when I saw it I knew it was a run to be proud of.  I laughed at your comments about calculating your turn around point.  I can't tell you have many times I've calculated it...incorrectly!

Now put your feet up, relax,  and enjoy the feeling that comes with a run like that...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:11 pm

nkrichards wrote:Wow is right!  Not much more to say.  I can't believe you can run that distance with a negative split while maintaining/increasing your cadence and post HR numbers like that!  Your max HR looks more like my normal average HR. 

I'll have to admit that I went straight to your cadence graph and when I saw it I knew it was a run to be proud of.  I laughed at your comments about calculating your turn around point.  I can't tell you have many times I've calculated it...incorrectly!

Now put your feet up, relax,  and enjoy the feeling that comes with a run like that...
...and go to bed early.

Thanks, Nancy.  One reason I increased the pace during the last two miles was to see if I could get to 150.  Never got close.  I have a real deep or thick HR something.  The heart can go for a very long time in the 130's; almost 3 hours.  Maybe (maybe) all that Summer plodding created the thickness and these runs are the fruits of the labor.  I wonder if there's any tie in to Maffetone to be had?

The lungs were never an issue.  I usually breathe through my mouth.  Only when I'm plodding do I breathe through my nose.

One thing I forgot to mention that really doesn't mean much.  I woke up 10 minutes late.  I had 2 alarms going that whole time.  One playing music ("Against the Wind" by Bob Seger) and the regular alarm. 

I'll need to figure out this heart thing.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Wow is right!  Not much more to say.  I can't believe you can run that distance with a negative split while maintaining/increasing your cadence and post HR numbers like that!  Your max HR looks more like my normal average HR. 

...and go to bed early.

Thanks, Nancy.  One reason I increased the pace during the last two miles was to see if I could get to 150.  Never got close.  I have a real deep or thick HR something.  The heart can go for a very long time in the 130's; almost 3 hours.  Maybe (maybe) all that Summer plodding created the thickness and these runs are the fruits of the labor.  I wonder if there's any tie in to Maffetone to be had?

The lungs were never an issue.  I usually breathe through my mouth.  Only when I'm plodding do I breathe through my nose.

One thing I forgot to mention that really doesn't mean much.  I woke up 10 minutes late.  I had 2 alarms going that whole time.  One playing music ("Against the Wind" by Bob Seger) and the regular alarm. 

The HR thing is interesting.  I'm assuming that it's good but maybe it's limiting your pace.  ???  I sure don't have any trouble getting my HR up there.  I'm not to worried as it recovers quickly.

I'm guessing that your training would be considered Maffetone training.  I've been trying to run slower this year but based on HR evidence I haven't been running slow enough to be considered Maffetone...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:25 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

...and go to bed early.

The HR thing is interesting.  I'm assuming that it's good but maybe it's limiting your pace.  ???  I sure don't have any trouble getting my HR up there.  I'm not to worried as it recovers quickly.

I'm guessing that your training would be considered Maffetone training.  I've been trying to run slower this year but based on HR evidence I haven't been running slow enough to be considered Maffetone...

No, my weight is limiting my pace. The heart is not going to exert anymore effort than it needs to exert. I could do sprints and up the HR.
And probably my mind is limiting my pace because I don't want to get hurt.
If I lose 30 pounds, the same effort will cause a faster pace because there is less of me to lug around.
In fact, a retired, local doctor that runs wrote in 2015 that for every 10 pounds lost, your marathon time reduces by 9 minutes. I can confirm that because I lost 30 pounds in 2013 and my 2014 marathon time reduced 27 minutes.

So, I'll continue to work at it. Maybe HR efficiency on a long run should be measured in hours or miles. And leg effort measured in hours or miles.

I don't know. Part of the process, I guess.

Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:55 pm

The nearest run that I've had since the heart attack with heart rate shown is the 2020 Houston Half.  I wanted to compare Monday's 12 against another run of similar distance.

13.1 miles, 3:03:24, 14:00 avg pace, 147 avg HR, 178 Max HR, 156 avg cadence
1.  14:29, 118 bpm, 146 spm (pee break)
2.  14:02, 112 bpm, 146 spm
3.  13:38, 141 bpm, 156 spm
4.  14:08, 142 bpm, 150 spm (pee break)
5.  13:52, 144 bpm, 156 spm
6.  13:34, 148 bpm, 152 spm
7.  13:33, 151 bpm, 156 spm
8.  14:11, 150 bpm, 150 spm (pee break)
9.  13:53, 153 bpm, 152 spm
10.  13:51, 156 bpm, 156 spm
11.  13:51, 158 bpm, 156 spm
12.  13:48, 159 bpm, 156 spm
13.  12:23 pace, 168 bpm, 160 spm  (based on 0.36 miles recorded)

By doing the math, I figure my avg pace was 14 flat/mi.  I wasn't interested in the average pace, rather keeping the HR reasonable.  Well, that's not quite right.  I'm always interested in average pace, but since the time limit was 4 hours, it's not #1.  HR management was #1, today.  And aside from the strap malfunctioning twice that I know of, it went well.

Monday's 12 mile run-----
12 miles, 2:46:08, 13:50 pace, 131 avg bpm, 145 max bpm, 160 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:54, 2nd half pace 13:46

So what slaps me in the face is that heart rate and cadence improvement.  Keep in mind the Max HR of the race was very intentional and at the end of the race.  Back then, I wanted to see if my chest hurt at a real high HR.

BUT the splits were faster at the race, overall, if you back out the 3 pee break splits (which were 14's).  Monday's run had 5-14s.  Granted, that wasn't a race.

Today, I'm better than I was in January, imo.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Went to lift weights, this morning.  It went well.  Started on the abductor machine, which works the lateral sides of the quads.  I am hoping that spending some time on that machine might mitigate some of the hip flexor whining.  I also stretched it.

I have a bit of a hrrumph moment with the bicep curl.  I haven't advanced the weight in a few weeks.  I guess since it's a relatively smaller muscle than the lats, for example, it takes longer to build up.  Or maybe the new muscle cells are not ready.

It was a good effort, overall.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:32 am

ounce wrote:The nearest run that I've had since the heart attack with heart rate shown is the 2020 Houston Half.  I wanted to compare Monday's 12 against another run of similar distance.

13.1 miles, 3:03:24, 14:00 avg pace, 147 avg HR, 178 Max HR, 156 avg cadence
1.  14:29, 118 bpm, 146 spm (pee break)
2.  14:02, 112 bpm, 146 spm
3.  13:38, 141 bpm, 156 spm
4.  14:08, 142 bpm, 150 spm (pee break)
5.  13:52, 144 bpm, 156 spm
6.  13:34, 148 bpm, 152 spm
7.  13:33, 151 bpm, 156 spm
8.  14:11, 150 bpm, 150 spm (pee break)
9.  13:53, 153 bpm, 152 spm
10.  13:51, 156 bpm, 156 spm
11.  13:51, 158 bpm, 156 spm
12.  13:48, 159 bpm, 156 spm
13.  12:23 pace, 168 bpm, 160 spm  (based on 0.36 miles recorded)

By doing the math, I figure my avg pace was 14 flat/mi.  I wasn't interested in the average pace, rather keeping the HR reasonable.  Well, that's not quite right.  I'm always interested in average pace, but since the time limit was 4 hours, it's not #1.  HR management was #1, today.  And aside from the strap malfunctioning twice that I know of, it went well.

Monday's 12 mile run-----

So what slaps me in the face is that heart rate and cadence improvement.  Keep in mind the Max HR of the race was very intentional and at the end of the race.  Back then, I wanted to see if my chest hurt at a real high HR.

BUT the splits were faster at the race, overall, if you back out the 3 pee break splits (which were 14's).  Monday's run had 5-14s.  Granted, that wasn't a race.

Today, I'm better than I was in January, imo.
Huge improvement since January!!!
ounce wrote:Went to lift weights, this morning.  It went well.  Started on the abductor machine, which works the lateral sides of the quads.  I am hoping that spending some time on that machine might mitigate some of the hip flexor whining.  I also stretched it.

I have a bit of a hrrumph moment with the bicep curl.  I haven't advanced the weight in a few weeks.  I guess since it's a relatively smaller muscle than the lats, for example, it takes longer to build up.  Or maybe the new muscle cells are not ready.

It was a good effort, overall.
These things take time...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:52 pm

Yesterday, I got out to run 4 or so miles at a quicker pace.  I got going, but I came across a City temporary, flexible, 3" or 4" sewer or storm drain pipe that had snaked its way across my path on a bridge.  I stopped to move it out of the way, which took a few minutes.  It may have been better to hop over it, but I didn't want to fall and get another unwelcome bruise.  Re-starting the run, I lost my rhythm and mojo after about a 1/4 mile.  Anywho, I stopped and walked back. 

This morning, I lifted weights.  Loading up the bicep curl bar and trying to figure out a way to advance the weight, I thought (rare, but it happens) what if I just took a moderate weight plate (25#, in this case) and warmed up doing the curl motion?  That helped.  The 3 sets of 6 reps was less trouble.  I'm thinking that I plateaued, much like what happens when losing weight and the weight loss stalls.  Maybe I have broken the code.  Otherwise, the morning went well.

One theoretical essay on muscles that I am learning about.  Feel free to skip.  I was watching on YouTube a video where Ahhnold was talking about lifting weights for the 'show' competition.  He said something about pectoral muscles that I had never considered. 

He said there are 3 different pectoral muscles, which is why there are 3 different bench press machines...the horizontal one and two different inclines.  Each machine works 1 of the 3 pectoral muscles.  I guess if you only work 1, you're 1/3 done.  Now I need to see exactly which incline machine works which pectoral muscle.

A practical application of this is the deltoid muscle.  There are 3 different deltoid muscles, too.  The one that drapes over the arm, one in front of the shoulder, up around where the collarbone connects, and the other is on the back side by the scapula.

Term Limits? - Page 4 200px-Deltoid_muscle_animation4

Soooo, there are 3 routines to work the 3 muscles.  The things one learns.

Tomorrow, I will try to do a double.  6 miles, if the temp is in the 50s.  5 miles if warmer.  thanks much.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Well, I don't remember much about the Friday 5 mile run, but looking at the numbers, it was mid-60s or so.  But I do remember going to the gym afterwards.

5 miles, 1:13:26, 14:39 pace, 130 avg bpm, 143 max bpm, 152 avg cadence.
1.  14:31, 128 bpm
2.  14:20, 132 bpm
3.  15:06, 133 bpm
4.  14:57, 127 bpm
5.  14:26, 129 bpm.

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 4 0UGln0xptqei236QYdnXCECOJwQgSbzaQWCChpeEGJBZIaGm4AYkFEloabkBigYSWhhuQWCChpeEGJBZIaGm4gbQzEA8kBuKBxEA8kBiIBxID8UBiIB5IDMQDiYF4IDEQDyQG4vkfeb+o7JwA8LEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Almost plodding.

At the gym and seeing how many deltoid muscles there are, I was looking for a couple of machines while working out.  Overall, the workout wasn't too bad. 

I had gotten in touch with a buddy of mine that works out a bunch and asked her about my difficulty of advancing the bicep curl weight.  She said, 'biceps are slow.' Oooookay.  So, I'll just work it at the present weight until I can do 3 sets of 10 (usual is 3-6s) or until I get bored.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Monday was the long run day and I was going to run 12, like last week.  But there was one problem.  Temperature.  Last Monday it was 52.  This Monday, 71.  Let's see how far I can get.  Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral 

2 miles out and walked 2 miles back.  Well, I got up early to run the 12.  So, when I got back, I had plenty of time to go to the gym.  Might as well get SOMETHING done.  It went well.  I'm gradually adding more routines, for when I do a double.  And it adds a little variety.

-30-

Tuesday (today) is a regularly schedule gym day and it was still warm in the morning...even showering.  So, I didn't run in place of the gym.  I figured out the routines for the 3 deltoid muscles and did all three, today. 

Tomorrow, well, it's supposed to be 66 degrees with a falling dew point.  It'll be a gametime decision on running 12.

thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:24 pm

As far as the slow Friday run...we've both proven that those slow runs really do have a benefit.

Gym work seems to be going well.  Keep working on those biceps...they will respond in time.  It is interesting the different muscles and the targeting that needs to be done to improve what we think of as one muscle.  The program that Marty and I do often has us doing a different variation of essentially the same move...full curls, wide curls, rotating curls...all in an effort to target different 'parts' of a muscle.

Hope you had better conditions today and were able to get a longer run in...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:05 pm

nkrichards wrote:As far as the slow Friday run...we've both proven that those slow runs really do have a benefit.

Gym work seems to be going well.  Keep working on those biceps...they will respond in time.  It is interesting the different muscles and the targeting that needs to be done to improve what we think of as one muscle.  The program that Marty and I do often has us doing a different variation of essentially the same move...full curls, wide curls, rotating curls...all in an effort to target different 'parts' of a muscle.

Hope you had better conditions today and were able to get a longer run in...
Yes, slow runs are not wasted runs. 

Gym work IS going well.  It's becoming a little bit of a challenge to remember the weights amount for the, now, many things that I do.  I don't want to bring a phone or a piece of paper to write it down. 

SO many muscles...so little time.  One website I just discovered was TeachMeAnatomy.info.  Y'alls routines are total involvement routines, which gets the little, but important, muscles worked.  The bicep curl I do is free-standing, so the little stabilizer muscles up and down get a little of the love. 

-30-

Wednesday was another warm morning.  69 degrees with the same dew point. pale   No 12.  I've lost my heat tolerance.  But, I did run 3 miles. Very Happy  Cadence set at 161

3 miles, 43:27, 14:27 pace, 129 avg bpm, 153 max bpm, 154 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length
1.  14:12, 127 bpm, 160 spm, 70 sl
2.  14:23, 131 bpm, 154 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:46, 130 bpm, 149 spm, 74 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 4 UcPbzJ3Qb7HQOkh3vJGzw9bLdGe3rY4+zh4PI6i4v0cH95A6eHrdeor2fcbeDcNkxn5R3e7r1epIeHyJtXsjDpYbc1zPJ6mz3cKa8lrW0D2KC82w3kFURsWbgBeQURWxZuQF5BxJaFG5BXELFl4QbkFURsWbgBeQURWxZuID0MxAJ5gVggLxAL5AVigbxALJAXiAXyArFAXiAWyAvEAnmBWP4H6u7iJwgLrD8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Odd spike in first mile
Term Limits? - Page 4 UPZ2Tpm1QrAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Term Limits? - Page 4 BzLHeFpMc8zMAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Moping along.  Half pier, which isn't really bad under the circumstances, plus the miles aren't wasted.  I DO believe that.  I didn't last year, but I do now.

That afternoon, I thought about whether I should run the 12, today (Thursday).  The weather was supposed to be good, this morning.  But I looked at the weather forecast for next week.  Highs in the 70s (74 is normal.  84 is today).  Lows in the 40s and 50s!  Sunday morning is the 60s...blah.  So, no long run this week, which I don't think will harm my progress towards 18 miles around New Years Day (the marathon is sometime between January 8 and 17).

-30-

Now, today's run.  61 degrees with a dew point of 51 and an east breeze, which is the first half of the run.  I was looking forward to this run.  I wanted to see if I could do something.  4 or 5 miles was the hope.  161 cadence.

5 miles, 1:03:55, 12:45 pace, 139 avg HR, 154 max HR, 160 avg cadence, 0.79 m avg stride length
1.  13:29, 126 bpm, 160 spm, 76 sl
2.  12:37, 135 bpm, 160 spm, 79 sl
3.  12:38, 141 bpm, 159 spm, 79 sl
4.  12:39, 144 bpm, 160 spm, 79 sl
5.  12:27, 149 bpm, 161 spm, 80 sl

HR zones
zone 4 144-154
zone 3 126-143
Term Limits? - Page 4 AFpFXYIvIK7BF5BXYIvIKbBF5Bbb8D1y1hHZRDcp+AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Another odd spike, like yesterday.
Term Limits? - Page 4 J1kNBM3SDiUwcSlDDCfA8aHrkZda8zsfugrBuB4BcuniSxLgPBLyQowTUkKME1JCjBNSQowTUhQUd+S4kg+IF6UIJrSFCCa0hQgmv+D564K6LdiDgVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Pee breaks
Term Limits? - Page 4 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

Term Limits? - Page 4 WPnisFYlBwrMgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Yup, a WOW run.  But I wanted to test a theory about legs and heart.
1.  My legs have 3 hours of endurance in them.  They can be pushed for an hour.
2.  My heart rate only goes up when I push it.  Otherwise, hammock.
Therefore, will the heart, when pushed, send a signal to the legs to slow up because the heart is out of its hammock or will it send a signal to the bladder?

I was happy when my HR was 140 and greater.  The heart was out of its hammock.  The game has started.

The legs were fine, but during mile 4, the legs were tentative.  140 HR was a threshhold where the heart was actually having to work!  Very nice.  The lungs were working more than the heart for most of the run.  Certainly a lot on the last mile.  Probably 10K pace worth.

When the legs were tentative, I sped up.  Same for the lungs.  I think this run will help me get faster.  I DID have to stop 3 times to pee.  I probably could've kept going, but maybe the heart sent a signal to the bladder to slow up (as shown by the 3 dips in the HR graph.

The cool air sure felt good.  4 splits in the 12's.  Boy, oh, boy.  Now I just have to figure out an application to keep it going (maybe speed work and a faster last quarter or more of a long run).

How could I incorporate the speed into a long run?  I guess the legs determine that to some degree.  Maybe a sorta long run could be like today's run effort.

The next long run will be the first morning in the 40s, Monday or Tuesday.  13 miles.  I want to try to get to 18 miles by the last Sunday in December, the 27th.  If the weather is good, I'll do the marathon 2 weeks later on January 10.  I have until January 17. 

So, something else encouraging on weights is there's a t-shirt I have that fits a little looser, now.  So, I'm in between a 2XL and a XL.  Haven't lost but a couple of pounds, but the muscle and fat are exchanging places.  Nifty.

Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Congrats on the WOW run...and the looser fitting t-shirt. cheers cheers

That was a nice run.  Cadence, pace, HR all impressive.  I'm thinking that would qualify as a tempo run based on your pace and HR.  And 5 miles with a solid finish is excellent.  I'm guessing Freddy must have gotten bored here and headed down to hang out with you.

Your questions about workouts to help your speed.

• I think your tempo run should help.  As you move forward into training you could up the distance a bit but in general they don't recommend more than half of long run distance for a tempo.
  • You could try your speed intervals again.  They are supposed to help with running efficiency.
  • I don't think it would hurt to try and finish a long run at a slightly faster pace but don't get carried away.  You don't need to go to fast or to far.  Just try and get the pace for the last mile or two at or under your average pace.
  • I've come to the conclusion that volume is at least as important if not more important than speed work.  Don't let your desire to run faster during training limit your ability to rack up miles.  Words of a reformed "Run Less, Run Faster" runner.   Wink

Have a great weekend...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:32 pm

nkrichards wrote:Congrats on the WOW run...and the looser fitting t-shirt. cheers cheers

That was a nice run.  Cadence, pace, HR all impressive.  I'm thinking that would qualify as a tempo run based on your pace and HR.  And 5 miles with a solid finish is excellent.  I'm guessing Freddy must have gotten bored here and headed down to hang out with you.

Your questions about workouts to help your speed.

• I think your tempo run should help.  As you move forward into training you could up the distance a bit but in general they don't recommend more than half of long run distance for a tempo.
  • You could try your speed intervals again.  They are supposed to help with running efficiency.
  • I don't think it would hurt to try and finish a long run at a slightly faster pace but don't get carried away.  You don't need to go to fast or to far.  Just try and get the pace for the last mile or two at or under your average pace.
  • I've come to the conclusion that volume is at least as important if not more important than speed work.  Don't let your desire to run faster during training limit your ability to rack up miles.  Words of a reformed "Run Less, Run Faster" runner.   Wink

Have a great weekend...
Thanks!  Okay, it was a tempo run.  I know Long Run, sorta long run, and speed work.  Regarding Freddy, this was a hammock run for him because after leaving you, my running is boring to him (not deprecating me), so he can stick around.  He might be out of shape, when he returns to you.  Laughing

I'll work on things.  The race is 2 months, +/- 4 days.

Oh, I made a mistake on the 3rd pee break.  That one was actually to check out a dog that always barks, when I go by.  But with my right ear dead, it's hard to determine where the dog is.  I crossed the street early and I heard the dog again.  It sounded closer.  I could tell it was running across a yard.  It had a big wall and gate.

"Bark, bark, bark."
"Hey, buddy, how's it going?"
Stops barking.  Starts sniffing through the wrought iron fence.  Found out he had wiggle butt REALLY bad.  So, I have a new friend.

-30-

Having a rare weekend off, I went to the gym to lift some weights and to try a new one. 
Term Limits? - Page 4 2Q==
Saw a 'how to' on youtube and gave it a whirl.  It went okay, but I have to make sure my back and stomach are flat, not bowed.  I'll try it again either tomorrow or Tuesday.  My trap muscle below the neck was bummed out and a bit overdone.

The weather is changing tomorrow and the temps will be favorable on Monday morning to do a long run!  Low 50s.

Think I'll just rest, tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next