365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 3 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 3 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:22 pm

ounce wrote:It was 64 degrees, this morning.  Almost Goldilocks weather.  In light of my decision to do the marathon in January, this influenced my decision to treat Tuesdays as the long run day, again.  Which meant either 5 or 6 miles, all the while knowing that I need to watch my breathing.  But knowing that it's a long run inherently means to run slower.  So, let's review the data.  Cadence was 161.

6 miles, 1:22:06, 13:39 pace, 133 avg HR, 149 max HR, 160 avg cadence, 0.74 m avg stride length
1.  14:07, 117 bpm, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:49, 132 bpm, 159 spm, 74 sl
3.  13:42, 135 bpm, 160 spm, 73 sl
4.  13:45, 133 bpm, 159 spm, 74 sl
5.  13:19, 139 bpm, 160 spm, 73 sl
6.  13:17, 141 bpm, 160 spm, 75 sl

HR zone 126-143
Term Limits? - Page 3 MoBCGnz7BHAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Term Limits? - Page 3 CrZvsrjHGOIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Had a little dangling of the feet into the water at mile 2 and near the end, otherwise, a long pier.  I stopped after mile 3 for a pee break.  There was some concern of going out 3 miles before turning around, but the legs were fine and the breathing was fine, so I went past 2.5 miles to 3.  I know the pit stop allowed me to catch a breath.  Not that I needed it, but it was timely.

I don't know what got into me to make mile 5 faster, but my breathing was fine.  Up to mile 3, the breathing was okay, but I wasn't in a groove.  No rhythm.  I think that caused the cadence slippage at mile 2.  Afterwards, it was settled and comfortable.  Easier than Friday.

And 6 whole miles with just a little fall off on the pier.  Could I have ran 7?  Yes, because the only thing missing was some water and I would've passed a water fountain to get to 3.5 miles.  But I had left home thinking 5, so I didn't want to bump up the mileage twice.

Pleased with the run and I haven't had any post-run stiffness.

Thanks, be sure to have your coupon stamped by the hostess for a drawing of a fantastic nothing!
Excited to hear that you're going to do the virtual marathon. cheers   It's so good to have goals to work toward.

And to up your mileage to 6 today and execute it well is encouraging.  That's a huge increase in distance on the pier!

I'll take a look at your stats a bit closer later...I'm off to combine..
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:It was 64 degrees, this morning.  Almost Goldilocks weather.  In light of my decision to do the marathon in January, this influenced my decision to treat Tuesdays as the long run day, again.  Which meant either 5 or 6 miles, all the while knowing that I need to watch my breathing.  But knowing that it's a long run inherently means to run slower.  So, let's review the data.  Cadence was 161.

6 miles, 1:22:06, 13:39 pace, 133 avg HR, 149 max HR, 160 avg cadence, 0.74 m avg stride length

HR zone 126-143

Had a little dangling of the feet into the water at mile 2 and near the end, otherwise, a long pier.  I stopped after mile 3 for a pee break.  There was some concern of going out 3 miles before turning around, but the legs were fine and the breathing was fine, so I went past 2.5 miles to 3.  I know the pit stop allowed me to catch a breath.  Not that I needed it, but it was timely.

I don't know what got into me to make mile 5 faster, but my breathing was fine.  Up to mile 3, the breathing was okay, but I wasn't in a groove.  No rhythm.  I think that caused the cadence slippage at mile 2.  Afterwards, it was settled and comfortable.  Easier than Friday.

And 6 whole miles with just a little fall off on the pier.  Could I have ran 7?  Yes, because the only thing missing was some water and I would've passed a water fountain to get to 3.5 miles.  But I had left home thinking 5, so I didn't want to bump up the mileage twice.

Thanks, be sure to have your coupon stamped by the hostess for a drawing of a fantastic nothing!
Excited to hear that you're going to do the virtual marathon. cheers   It's so good to have goals to work toward.

And to up your mileage to 6 today and execute it well is encouraging.  That's a huge increase in distance on the pier!

NO, NOT COMBINE!!!!!  Giddy up on that thing.  If you don't get fired, a reprimand will appear in your file.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:39 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

HR zone 126-143

NO, NOT COMBINE!!!!!  Giddy up on that thing.  If you don't get fired, a reprimand will appear in your file.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Not sure if I got fired or if Marty and Kevin are just feeling sorry for me...it's hard to sit in the combine for hours on end...especially when you're already stiff and sore.  They don't think they'll finish today but it should be a short day tomorrow.

I am even more impressed with your run after taking a closer look at your stats.  As I mentioned the cadence pier is worth smiling about especially since you added so much distance.  The HR drift is there but not excessive.  And you held and then improved the pace as the run progressed.  I'll give you a gold star. Like a Star @ heaven  Sorry I couldn't find a gold one.

I like the idea of having a dedicated day for your long run.  It always helps me when I have a plan for the week and don't just run whatever I feel like that day.  Will you still try and do any doubles?  I know that you don't have to meet a time limit but do you have a goal pace in mind?  Will you try and run on the actual course...I know some runners try to complete their virtual race on the course...or will you run closer to home?  Any plans to run the race or do any training runs with a friend?

Looking forward to following your progress...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:38 am

I fully expected to have a shorter pier starting after mile 4.  After all, I hadn't finished too many runs greater than 3 or 4 miles during the Summer.  I am amazed I did 6, which truly validates the Summer trudging. 

Somehow, though, I will have to have a higher base mileage going into the Summer of 2021 in order to have a chance to seriously train for the 2022 Houston.  Of course, I'll work up a running schedule that will start in July and I will have to have a base mileage of 20 mpw, at that time.  I could not start in October to train for a marathon.  Three months time is not enough for me.  I'll figure it out.

Back to now, I do plan on doing 1 double a week, and probably 2 when time allows.  Today's plan was to do a double of a 3 miles recovery run of sorts, then weights.  But I woke up around midnight and thought the run can wait, in order to get 90 minutes more sleep.

So Tuesday is long run.  Wednesday is weights.  Thursday is a double.  Friday is a faster run starting at 3 miles.  That gives me 3 runs and 2 weights per week.  In November, my schedule loosens up and I'll be able to do runs on Mondays, again.

I want to run long as far as I can up to 1 week before when I will run the race.  I don't have a time pace in mind, but I definitely want to run as far as the last long run and maybe farther.  I'm thinking 18 miles, which is, loosely, increasing LR distance 1 or 2 miles per week for 12 weeks + the 6 miles from Tuesday = 18 miles.

No plans to train with somebody.  I don't plan on running the course, however, some of my routes are part of the course.  I plan on running it on a Saturday or Sunday, when vehicle traffic is less.  Also will start in the dark, of course, and as mostly flat as possible.  Sunrise in January is around 7 a.m. and it'll be cool to cold.  Running in the dark will preclude running in the 'heat' of the day, especially if it is clear.

As far as my route, right now I'm leaning towards doing 2 out 'n backs of 9 miles out 'n back on really flat concrete, then 4 miles to Memorial Park and back.  It's the most familiar route I run and will seem shorter, due to that familiarity.  That's my excuse, anyway.  PLUS, the only elevation change will be going under railroad tracks twice at miles 21 and 22 in Memorial Park.  My course will be flatter than Chicago, which is flatter than Houston.  Miche1e would hate it.

I will have to stage some beverages on the first 18 and I wouldn't rule out a visit to my apt after the first 18.

Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:00 pm

Oh, and weights went fine, except the bicep curl was tougher. No pain.

Something new was getting on the chin up counter balance machine. It's where you select a weight to subtract from your chin up effort.

I selected 210 pounds subtracted from my body weight of around 240. Creating a net lift of 30 pounds. I have read that it's good to do chin ups this way for the muscle memory for when I can do them better.

Everything went well. Tomorrow, a double. Probably running 4. Since I can run 6, it's the least I can do!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:54 pm

Your goals and plans all seem pretty reasonable to me.  Good to hear that you're going to continue lifting.  I think it will benefit your running.  You've got a good mix of long/short/faster runs in the plan as well.   Approval

I don't blame you for choosing a relatively flat course but in all honesty tend to agree with Michele...all flat is hard for me.  I don't like significant elevation gain or descent but I do like rollers.

I've never heard of a chin up balance machine...sounds interesting.  I have heard of...and tried once...doing chin ups with a band to help.  And I've heard that's a good way to build up to doing it unassisted.  

Happy training...  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:09 pm

The downside to doing the marathon is that I won't be able to lift more, if I want, because there are only so many days in a week.

This is a photo of what the machine does. If the girl weighs 130 lbs, it looks like the weight plates lifted is about 50 lbs, so she is assisted 50 pounds (or only able to chin up 80 pounds).
Term Limits? - Page 3 Mg_99212
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:27 pm

As a result of Hurricane Delta that is going to hit Louisiana tomorrow, it's warmer on the 'clean' side (Houston) today through Monday.  It was 74 degrees, this morning, and guess what?  I have a short pier!  Rolling Eyes 

4 miles, 58:31, 14:33 pace, 131 avg bpm, 146 max bpm, 150 avg cadence, 0.74 avg stride length.
1.  14:19, 127 bpm, 159 spm, 71 sl
2.  14:18, 131 bpm, 149 spm, 76 sl
3.  15:13, 133 bpm, 147 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:39, 133 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl

Zone 3 126 - 143
Term Limits? - Page 3 7cC6WwbMrtOZ+vu4TdgOlsq8snlyi4LMq9N7ZAZ6WwLMrtOZ6vvv10yaDq7S87JZXHv8bsT885ceLykWS7pzEhnW5DZdTpbtUbt+JDpbDZjBtLZ5jK7zgBq5fc8pLPZyJwhnW0ss+t0tsbuql7S2ZxkroN09hYyc+nMvtLZPGVGOnsrmZ2ns9VqeEtnc5QZ6extZXadzlatsVlvkHQ2O5mRzjaQuex0LtPZqjW6ZXaWzu6VWRElmcEAMu8WkDkgfMvCHcgcEL5l4Q5kDgjfsnAHMgeEb1m4A5kDwrcs3IHMAeFbFu4gnQ2iATKDaIDMIBogM4gGyAyiATKDaIDMIBogM4gGyAyiATKDaIDMIBogM4gGyAyiATKDaPgfOQCpUxVTfxwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Term Limits? - Page 3 NhgJHyq+jxYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I was going to run 3, but since I'm training for a marathon, I felt I needed to increase the mileage.  As you can tell, I did a lot of swimming on this run.  Such is running.

Afterwards, I went to the gym and lifted weights.  I added a new routine to build deltoid muscles.  I was thinking that would help to steady my arm sway when doing the bench press.  Started at 8 lbs in each hand at my side, then raise the arms to straight out horizontal to the ground.

At the start, I do rotate 3 routines, 3 times.  Boy, my effort quickly caused me to sweat and my HR to increase.  Once that was over, it settled down for the rest of the routines.  That's the effect of running the 4, this morning.  I was pleased to be done, but this double didn't tired me as much as it did last week.

So, I have 2 runs for 10 miles and 2 weight days done for the week.  Tomorrow, I'd like to do 3 miles at a faster pace.  Maybe later on, I'll do 3 or 4 miles in that run 880, recover 440 plan.  Still time to decide.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm

ounce wrote:As a result of Hurricane Delta that is going to hit Louisiana tomorrow, it's warmer on the 'clean' side (Houston) today through Monday.  It was 74 degrees, this morning, and guess what?  I have a short pier!  Rolling Eyes 

4 miles, 58:31, 14:33 pace, 131 avg bpm, 146 max bpm, 150 avg cadence, 0.74 avg stride length.

Zone 3 126 - 143
Term Limits? - Page 3 7cC6WwbMrtOZ+vu4TdgOlsq8snlyi4LMq9N7ZAZ6WwLMrtOZ6vvv10yaDq7S87JZXHv8bsT885ceLykWS7pzEhnW5DZdTpbtUbt+JDpbDZjBtLZ5jK7zgBq5fc8pLPZyJwhnW0ss+t0tsbuql7S2ZxkroN09hYyc+nMvtLZPGVGOnsrmZ2ns9VqeEtnc5QZ6extZXadzlatsVlvkHQ2O5mRzjaQuex0LtPZqjW6ZXaWzu6VWRElmcEAMu8WkDkgfMvCHcgcEL5l4Q5kDgjfsnAHMgeEb1m4A5kDwrcs3IHMAeFbFu4gnQ2iATKDaIDMIBogM4gGyAyiATKDaIDMIBogM4gGyAyiATKDaIDMIBogM4gGyAyiATKDaPgfOQCpUxVTfxwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I was going to run 3, but since I'm training for a marathon, I felt I needed to increase the mileage.  As you can tell, I did a lot of swimming on this run.  Such is running.

Afterwards, I went to the gym and lifted weights.  I added a new routine to build deltoid muscles.  I was thinking that would help to steady my arm sway when doing the bench press.  Started at 8 lbs in each hand at my side, then raise the arms to straight out horizontal to the ground.

At the start, I do rotate 3 routines, 3 times.  Boy, my effort quickly caused me to sweat and my HR to increase.  Once that was over, it settled down for the rest of the routines.  That's the effect of running the 4, this morning.  I was pleased to be done, but this double didn't tired me as much as it did last week.

So, I have 2 runs for 10 miles and 2 weight days done for the week.  Tomorrow, I'd like to do 3 miles at a faster pace.  Maybe later on, I'll do 3 or 4 miles in that run 880, recover 440 plan.  Still time to decide.  Thanks.
Yup there is evidence of a short pier there.  But even though your cadence dropped, your HR was in a good place and you did go longer.  Considering the long run and weights this week...and the warmer weather...I'd put this run in the success column.  

Good to hear the doubles are going well.

I have a friend who is vacationing in Mexico.  Why anyone would travel to Mexico during COVID AND hurricane season is beyond me.  They were in the direct path of the storm but are safe and well.  Her husband actually thought it was quite fun!!

Hope your cool weather returns soon...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:03 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:As a result of Hurricane Delta that is going to hit Louisiana tomorrow, it's warmer on the 'clean' side (Houston) today through Monday.  It was 74 degrees, this morning, and guess what?  I have a short pier!  Rolling Eyes 

Zone 3 126 - 143

Yup there is evidence of a short pier there.  But even though your cadence dropped, your HR was in a good place and you did go longer.  Considering the long run and weights this week...and the warmer weather...I'd put this run in the success column.  

Good to hear the doubles are going well.

I have a friend who is vacationing in Mexico.  Why anyone would travel to Mexico during COVID AND hurricane season is beyond me.  They were in the direct path of the storm but are safe and well.  Her husband actually thought it was quite fun!!

Hope your cool weather returns soon...
Yes, I would agree on the run.  Knowing that all of the slog running during the Summer did not go to waste, the brain did not entertain thoughts of stopping.  I just have to have time.

As far as your friend, it is the definition of 'gamble' to vacation anywhere there is a body of water (including the Pacific) during hurricane season through Halloween, even Hawaii.  I hear there is hurricane insurance.  Hurricane season runs to November 30.  It takes a water temperature of 80 degrees to grow a hurricane and takes a bit of analysis to weigh the good/bad of going to a certain area of the Atlantic during the end or beginning (June 1) of the season.

Thanks, Nancy.

-30-

This will be easy.  Run cancelled due to rain.  10 miles for the week.  Today is the only rain day and not that much rain because Delta is about 150 miles from Houston and going northeast.  But Lake Charles, La is getting hit again after Hurricane Laura hit about 5 weeks ago.  Lots of blue tarps on homes' roofs over there.

Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 am

Hope you enjoyed your rain day off.  Nothing wrong with a rest day now and then...even if it's unplanned.

Does your schedule allow you to run today?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:23 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope you enjoyed your rain day off.  Nothing wrong with a rest day now and then...even if it's unplanned.

No, it didn't.  I won't have a free weekend until mid-November, but I get my Mondays back on November 2. 

That rain day was more like a rain hour, but it was too late to run.

-30-

Well, this morning was long run Tuesday.  The cool front passed through yesterday afternoon and reduced temps about 10 degrees, this morning, although when I ran, the difference was about 6 degrees but the humidity was much better.  But nothing like low 60s, rather 70 degrees.  Hrrumph.

I have to quickly post the splits.

8 miles, 1:53:46, 14:12 pace, 136 avg bpm, 155 max bpm, 153 avg cadence, 0.75 avg stride length

Zone 4 144-155
Zone 3 126-143
Term Limits? - Page 3 4NiKssyePPQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Term Limits? - Page 3 We4Rrs8WqCmBgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:41 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Hope you enjoyed your rain day off.  Nothing wrong with a rest day now and then...even if it's unplanned.

No, it didn't.  I won't have a free weekend until mid-November, but I get my Mondays back on November 2. 

That rain day was more like a rain hour, but it was too late to run.

-30-

Well, this morning was long run Tuesday.  The cool front passed through yesterday afternoon and reduced temps about 10 degrees, this morning, although when I ran, the difference was about 6 degrees but the humidity was much better.  But nothing like low 60s, rather 70 degrees.  Hrrumph.

I have to quickly post the splits.

8 miles, 1:53:46, 14:12 pace, 136 avg bpm, 155 max bpm, 153 avg cadence, 0.75 avg stride length

Zone 4 144-155
Zone 3 126-143
Term Limits? - Page 3 4NiKssyePPQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Term Limits? - Page 3 We4Rrs8WqCmBgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Not a bad effort on long run Tuesday.  You've stepped up the distance pretty quickly and the HR and pace aren't to disagreeable at all.  I did notice that you took a quick dip in the water during mile 4 and then stuggled to stay upright on the pier after mile 4...but considering the distance and the slightly warmer temp it was a nice run!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 pm

The first two dips in cadence were going under the same railroad tracks (going and coming).  The 3rd dip was just slowing down.

Wednesday, I did a double the best that I could, but it wasn't very good.  The idea was to run 3 miles, then go lift.  Actually, I slogged about two-thirds of a mile, then walked to finish 2 miles total.  Then, went to the gym.  For the most part, that went well, although lifting on a Wednesday, when the last time I lifted was 6 days prior, causes the muscles to wonder what I'm doing.

Afterwards, I was tired.  Makes me want to move the double day to another day later than the day after the long run.  OR I lift less weight, the day after a long run.  Thursday was a lift day that went well.  Early this morning, a cold front came through along with rain.  And it was raining when I wanted to run, so no run.  But the temp dropped 25 degrees, day over day.  I was disappointed at the rain because it was 57 degrees out there

By this Tuesday, temps are supposed to be in the mid-60s or 10 degrees cooler than last Tuesday.

8 miles for this week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 am

ounce wrote:The first two dips in cadence were going under the same railroad tracks (going and coming).  The 3rd dip was just slowing down.

Wednesday, I did a double the best that I could, but it wasn't very good.  The idea was to run 3 miles, then go lift.  Actually, I slogged about two-thirds of a mile, then walked to finish 2 miles total.  Then, went to the gym.  For the most part, that went well, although lifting on a Wednesday, when the last time I lifted was 6 days prior, causes the muscles to wonder what I'm doing.

Afterwards, I was tired.  Makes me want to move the double day to another day later than the day after the long run.  OR I lift less weight, the day after a long run.  Thursday was a lift day that went well.  Early this morning, a cold front came through along with rain.  And it was raining when I wanted to run, so no run.  But the temp dropped 25 degrees, day over day.  I was disappointed at the rain because it was 57 degrees out there

By this Tuesday, temps are supposed to be in the mid-60s or 10 degrees cooler than last Tuesday.

8 miles for this week.
The cadence dips make more sense now...thanks for the explanation.

Don't be surprised that your body may struggle on double days.  Sometimes I'm able to get through pretty well...other days (yesterday) not so much.  Lots of factors.  Some are obvious...others not so much.

Your body will appreciate the rain day and be ready and raring to go for your next run.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks, Nancy.  I did have a brief thought of lifting the evening before the long run, but that just seems like the wrong thing to do.

As far as tomorrow's long run, Summer is almost back.  This morning, it was 76 degrees.  I am doubtful the forecast for tomorrow morning will be 71.  So, it'll be a slog. pale   I will attempt to do 9 miles (8, last Tuesday).  Looking forward to doing the loop at Memorial Park.  They've been doing some upgrading and renovations throughout the park, so I am curious how it looks...at 4 a.m.  I've seen it from the Memorial Drive and the other roads in the park.

The big thing to me will be a 'land bridge' that will connect the south side and north side of Memorial Drive with the road covered in two spots by an arch structures that sort of look like tubes for traffic to go through and people & critters to crossover.  The bridge might even be a place to do 'hill' training, which the park lacks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Woke up, this morning, with back pain.  Figure it was a nerve because the pain was on the side on my right.  I couldn't really do much for a couple of hours after waking up.  I wasn't stiff, just a stabbing pain that went away.  There's still some residual pain, this evening, as I trotted about 50 feet there was a slight pain on the right heel.  It's not something that I think I could run through.

And I didn't think I should lift weights because I think the pain orients from the spine.  No point in pushing things.

So, I'll try to run again in the morning.  I'll need to get to bed in a bit.  Night, y'all!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Woke up this morning with a slight back pain, easy to get out of bed.  EASY.  Felt good enough to give Tuesday's long run a whirl.  It was 71 degrees, this morning.  The goal was 9 miles, including a 3 mile loop at Memorial Park.  The run splits into 3 sections:  3.33 to the Park loop, 3 mile loop, then 3.33 home = 9.66 miles.  I didn't realize it when I left that I was close to a 10 mile run.  But I did before I got to the Park.  So, if I'm a third of a mile from 10, it seems silly to not to do 10, if I'm able to.  Also, I needed to see how much the changes to the loop affected the distance.

Finally, if the legs allow, 9 miles (later became 10) WILL be ran no matter how slow I will be.  And I did not disappoint on being slow.

10 miles, 2:37:15, 15:43 pace, 125 avg bpm, 141 max bpm, 147 avg cadence, 0.73 avg stride length

HR zones
zone 3 126 - 141
zone 2 108 - 125

Term Limits? - Page 3 FTIgsfOhLvsYZuXkqNzxHLki52Sa29O9Ub0xkRZREJh2IPAwosmOYFsZWKLJjmBbGViiyY5gWxlYosmOYFsZWKLJjmBbGViiyY5gWxlbYoia9gCKTXkCRSS+gyKQXUGTSCygy6QUUmfQCikx6AUUmvYAik17wPw534GprrovMAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Term Limits? - Page 3 ERKREGWjtegAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I have checked the box for a 10 mile run.  Turns out that I added about a quarter mile by taking a side road on the way back to make it 10 miles.

How 'bout that pier!  I had decided, when I fell in the water, that I was going to run the distance as long as the legs were fine with it.

Had I not validated my Summer slogging was beneficial to my running, when colder, I probably wouldn't have ran that far.  I was a plodder, today, but the legs were doing fine and I didn't even chafe anywhere.  I did receive a small blister on the left big toe.

AND the Garmin, which has a short battery life, ran out of juice at 8 miles.

I am plum tuckered out, but it's done.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 am

I woke up with no back pain, this morning, and no stiffness anywhere else.  This is the first gym day of the week.

The first machine I hit is the usual first machine which is a lower back machine that uses gravity plus a 20 lb weight pressed against my forehead.  Confused?  Well, sorry.  I call the movement 'jackknife' because the action sort of looks like that dive.  But I stretched my lower back, slowly, and it was much appreciated.  Then, I did the routine with the weight, but just about 80% of normal effort.

I did the rest of the machines and finished with stretching my hip flexors in multiple ways.  The end of my workout is the only part that used the legs, including the leg lifts.  I only did 1 set of leg lifts, instead of 4 sets.  I wasn't hurting, but it just seemed prudent.  Turns out, that was a good decision because after sitting a while at home, the quads were whining.  So, tomorrow morning could be interesting for a recovery run of sorts, then another workout session.

One thing that I forgot to mention yesterday about the early part of the run.  I had that minor back whine at the start of the run on each time my right heel touched the ground.  The whine never increased.  Then about a half mile into the run, then right hip flexor whined louder than the back.  After a few minutes, the back whine stopped with the flexor hushing a few minutes after that.  The flexor discomfort did wake up from its nap, a few times.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am

Sounds like the back issues have resolved.  Nice job listening to your body.

Those long runs can be a bit of a slog as you increase distance and you've increase pretty quickly.  Pace and cadence will improve as you get more miles under your belt.  You faced the mental challenge head on and ticked off the first 10 mile run in quite some time.   Approval

It's good to see that you're flexible when it comes to visits to the gym.  Transitioning into doubles and increased mileage pretty much all at the same time is going to take some adjustment and time for your body to adapt.  

Take care...and enjoy the weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:Sounds like the back issues have resolved.  Nice job listening to your body.

Those long runs can be a bit of a slog as you increase distance and you've increase pretty quickly.  Pace and cadence will improve as you get more miles under your belt.  You faced the mental challenge head on and ticked off the first 10 mile run in quite some time.   Approval

It's good to see that you're flexible when it comes to visits to the gym.  Transitioning into doubles and increased mileage pretty much all at the same time is going to take some adjustment and time for your body to adapt.  

Take care...and enjoy the weekend.
It did resolve, yet my choice in the matter was similar to having a gun to my head. Shocked

Temperature created the plodding, which it, too, resolved yesterday afternoon with a cold front coming in.  Temp at the big airport dropped from 90 to 72.  This morning, it was 53 degrees with a north wind of 10.  Next week's temps are to be no more than the average of 81.

-30-

Yesterday morning, it was 72 degrees.  As we know, marathon training requires a good deal of commitment.  And I have a history of making a weekly schedule of long run, sorta long run, and hills or 'speed.'

5 miles, 1:15:54, 15:10 pace, 128 avg HR, 137 Max HR, 145 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length
1.  14:14, 120 bpm, 156 spm, 71 sl
2.  15:09, 128 bpm, 145 spm, 74 sl
3.  15:18, 130 bpm, 143 spm, 76 sl
4.  15:29, 131 bpm, 142 spm, 72 sl
5.  15:36, 132 bpm, 142 spm, 71 sl

HR zone 3 126-137 bpm
Term Limits? - Page 3 3gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Term Limits? - Page 3 QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I felt like I needed to run 5 miles to get my legs to believing something different was going on, now.  Especially with the 72 degrees.  The run was another slog.  Oh, well.  The legs were compliant for as much as they could.  I had gone to the gym on Thursday.  But my breathing during the run was easier to the degree that I was breathing through my nose for much of it.  That doesn't happen a lot.

I believe once the weather really cools off (50s), my breathing will have to adapt and my HR will spike for a couple of weeks until the heart adapts.  Legs?  Well, I believe that the legs will be just fine and dandy for whatever distance and cadence I choose, up to 8 miles, then the pier leaves.  Or put another way, the heart and lungs better keep up!

After cooling off from the run, I went to lift weights.  I did okay, but the legs felt too tired to do leg lifts.  I probably accomplished 75% of what I usually would do, especially having lifts the day before, as well.

I was very tired afterwards.

Welcome back, Nancy!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:33 am

I hope that cold weather that's putting a lot of us into the icebox makes it down your way, Doug. That'll put some spring in your step.

I've been getting more interested in your weight routine. We have a weight room here in our condo complex that we might eventually get to use once this pandemic is over (it's sealed up because they can't guarantee people will sanitize it after each use and there isn't a staff person who could do it that often, either). Maybe once that actually happens, I can take some photos of the equipment and see if you can make some suggestions. I haven't lifted since high school, so I'm a rank beginner now.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:22 pm

Mark B wrote:I hope that cold weather that's putting a lot of us into the icebox makes it down your way, Doug. That'll put some spring in your step.

I've been getting more interested in your weight routine. We have a weight room here in our condo complex that we might eventually get to use once this pandemic is over (it's sealed up because they can't guarantee people will sanitize it after each use and there isn't a staff person who could do it that often, either). Maybe once that actually happens, I can take some photos of the equipment and see if you can make some suggestions. I haven't lifted since high school, so I'm a rank beginner now.
I'd be happy to send a bit of cold weather to Doug...it's been too cold here!

If you want to get started with strength training before the gym opens up look into some body weight workouts or even better do you have access to any dumb bells.  Marty and I are really enjoying not going to a gym and have found some excellent workouts we do at home.  We use Beachbody workouts but I'm sure there are more options available.

After cooling off from the run, I went to lift weights.  I did okay, but the legs felt too tired to do leg lifts.  I probably accomplished 75% of what I usually would do, especially having lifts the day before, as well.

Not surprised...I'm struggling more with my doubles than I was earlier in the year.  Not sure why  Question  Maybe I'm lifting heavier or maybe I'm trying to run a bit faster.  I do okay on an upper body day but the last couple times I tried to do a run following a lower body strength workout I really struggled.

Have a good run...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:16 am

Mark B wrote:I hope that cold weather that's putting a lot of us into the icebox makes it down your way, Doug. That'll put some spring in your step.

Well, well, well.  The Prodigal Site Administrator has returned.

Yes, the front plodded through Houston around midnight.  But the durn thing arrived in the Panhandle on Sunday where it was 20 degrees, yesterday at lunch.  In West Texas in a town called Pecos (PAY-cuss), there 24 hour temperature change managed a drop of 53 degrees.

As far as weight routines (aw, shucks), Nancy's weight bearing thought is really appropriate for y'all.  The biggest suggestion I can give you is to have a goal.  A BIG goal.  Something that will keep you motivated for a few YEARS.  Mine is 1 pull up.  I figure it'll take another 2 years or so to accomplish.  If you can maintain motivation without having to set a 3 year goal, more power to you.  Use a search function to research how to accomplish your goal.  I did 'how to do a chin up' and found a website called pullup-dip.com.  They're a German company that sells stuff, but they also have articles and videos on  how to do pullups and dips. 

I can't workout at home, effectively.  One thing I do when I go to the gym is keep an eye on a couple of people to see what machines they are using and see if it would meet a goal of mine.  Doing 1 pull up involves the back muscles.  That, coupled with leg lifts and sit ups, will strengthen the core which helps the running.  I imagine there's a lot of dove tailing between weights and running.

Happy to help.  Nancy, too.
nkrichards wrote:

I'd be happy to send a bit of cold weather to Doug...it's been too cold here!

If you want to get started with strength training before the gym opens up look into some body weight workouts or even better do you have access to any dumb bells.  Marty and I are really enjoying not going to a gym and have found some excellent workouts we do at home.  We use Beachbody workouts but I'm sure there are more options available.

Not surprised...I'm struggling more with my doubles than I was earlier in the year.  Not sure why  Question  Maybe I'm lifting heavier or maybe I'm trying to run a bit faster.  I do okay on an upper body day but the last couple times I tried to do a run following a lower body strength workout I really struggled.

Have a good run...
I don't really do any leg routines, when I'm at the gym.  Leg lifts is it and that's abdominal.

As far as your struggle, I'm going to guess both.  You're expending energy and using muscles much more than when you were slower and weaker.  My weights routine is all about strength...heavier with shorter reps (4-6 reps, 3 sets).  So, maybe what I'm going through (and may continue to) on doubles is the new normal and I have to figure out the right mix of running and lifting.  In the next week or so, I'll have more time to spread out the workouts and running.

Ohhhhh, Nancy.  Remember last week's back pain that I had?  I figured out what caused it because it started happening again last weekend.  The problem was that I wasn't getting my legs under my upper body enough, so my center of gravity was further out than necessary, which put too much responsibility on the lower back muscles.

I engaged the legs and hips more and VIOLA, fixed.  I was one happy camper.  No pain, this morning.

We're supposed to get down into the 40s, this week.

-30-

Well, boy and girl, it was 60 degrees, this morning.  Last Wednesday it was 71 degrees.  I decided over the weekend that I would run 10 miles, this morning.  Partly as a step back run and partly because I think 12 miles is a bit soon.  I wanted to see how the cool weather was going to help the 10 miles.  Cadence at 161.

Spoiler alert!!!!  It helped.

10 miles, 2:22:07, 14:12 pace, 132 avg bpm, 151 max bpm, 158 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:14, 2nd half pace 14:10
1.  14:33, 121 bpm, 158 spm, 71 sl
2.  14:08, 128 bpm, 160 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:35, 129 bpm, 160 spm, 71 sl
4.  14:00, 131 bpm, 159 spm, 70 sl
5.  13:53, 132 bpm, 160 spm, 72 sl
6.  13:53, 133 bpm, 161 spm, 73 sl
7.  14:01, 131 bpm, 159 spm, 73 sl
8.  14:11, 138 bpm, 160 spm, 71 sl
9.  14:00, 139 bpm, 154 spm, 75 sl
10. 14:47, 138 bpm, 149 spm, 73 sl

Heart zones
3 126-143 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 3 8dunxqg16fAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Term Limits? - Page 3 WNDDdM1x2LhrAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Today's run at 60 degrees was 15 minutes faster than last Wednesday's 71 degree run AND it was a negative split (I happened to look at the watch at 5 miles).  And the pier was long, too.  I tried so hard to keep the cadence going longer than 8.25, but by mile 9 it wasn't in the cards.  But I'm very happy with the cadence.  I didn't think my pace for mile 10 had dropped off that much, but that's life.

71 degree cadence through 8 miles, last Wednesday.
Term Limits? - Page 3 YazXb1R79IQQkT4fMaD9UbqyP8Hix6m6HSOT2YAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Almost looks like a flip flop between the two runs.

As expected, the breathing in the early miles was a little labored, but by mile 3, it was on pace with the legs and heart.

It was a good effort!  Thanks for coming by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Regarding our weather up there and down here, it's cold. pale 

Tomorrow, we will be having a Houston Winter day in October.  Low of 48 and a high of 52 with scattered rain.  However, a Winter day in Houston doesn't have rain contributed by a tropical storm.  Zeta is in the Gulf and will be heading to New Orleans as a category 1 hurricane (80-90 mph winds).

Today, our cold front is stuck over Houston in a NE/SW line.  100 miles to the northwest is College Station (Texas A&M) and they're 48 degrees.  Beaumont is 90 miles to the east and it's 80.  The front will be pushed out of here tomorrow.

No highs above 74 for the next 7 days, average is 81.  Finally.

Let's see....My legs are doing fine, late in the afternoon now.  Overall, I'm tired, but not too terribly bad.  I'll be lifting weights in the morning with no running.  At this time, recovery runs don't work for me.  I will run on Thursday and maybe Friday.  Friday will be a double...5 mile run and weights.

I hope the Rays beat the Dodgers tonight and tomorrow, but I won't be up to see it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next