365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 27 of 27 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 27 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:46 pm

ounce wrote:Interesting that you mentioned the conditions.  I received my 2nd booster on Tuesday and ran on Wednesday.  My past history with covid shots is 36 hours discomfort at the injection site.  

This time, the first 18 hours (got the shot at noon on Tuesday) were unremarkable.  The next 24 hours (meaning post-run), was all situated in the sinus area.  Runny nose, a tickle cough handled with peanut butter, and a very minor fever (from normal 97.6 to 98.1 degrees).  By Thursday, I was perky again.

Runs in these conditions are fairly aggravating on my immune system.  It's just like running longer distances in cold weather.  Post-run, I get some chills, spike a fever of no more than 1.4 degrees to 99, runny nose, etc.  Sometimes, even, I will have the fever DURING the run.  That happened today when I wiped my face with my shirt, after finishing, and the shirt was colder than my forehead.  No chills today.

I have a process of slamming water when I get inside, strip down and lay down on a towel for the A/C to dry me off.  Sometimes Tylenol, but not this week.  If I don't lay on the towel long enough, even after I'm dry, then I'll start sweating again.  By afternoon, I'm back to baseline and will have consumed 3 quarts of water, with 1 more to go.  As I write this, I'm finishing my 2nd quart.

So, it takes some time and years to figure out the right protocol to keep me upright, post-plod, down here in the swamp.  A nice, light west breeze was in my face for the last 2 miles.  That helped.  It also indicated that my body temp was going up.  But NEVER was I light headed.

Back in the Summer of 2017, you may remember I was training for Javelina Jundred in Arizona.  I ran some of a 17 or 20 mile loop in July during the daylight morning and early afternoon to get acclimated.  I remember nearly passing out at 1 p.m.

In closing, I know the body is responding to my protocol because I gotta go pee.  4 hours since finishing and the kidneys are ready to be good kidneys.
I had a very easy 4 miles on my schedule this morning...after two hard days.  I was sluggish and miserable in 63 degree weather with 81% humidity.  I can't imagine running in Houston in the summer!!!

Sounds like you have a good recovery plan.  Now go pee......
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:58 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Interesting that you mentioned the conditions.  I received my 2nd booster on Tuesday and ran on Wednesday.  My past history with covid shots is 36 hours discomfort at the injection site.  

This time, the first 18 hours (got the shot at noon on Tuesday) were unremarkable.  The next 24 hours (meaning post-run), was all situated in the sinus area.  Runny nose, a tickle cough handled with peanut butter, and a very minor fever (from normal 97.6 to 98.1 degrees).  By Thursday, I was perky again.

Runs in these conditions are fairly aggravating on my immune system.  It's just like running longer distances in cold weather.  Post-run, I get some chills, spike a fever of no more than 1.4 degrees to 99, runny nose, etc.  Sometimes, even, I will have the fever DURING the run.  That happened today when I wiped my face with my shirt, after finishing, and the shirt was colder than my forehead.  No chills today.

I have a process of slamming water when I get inside, strip down and lay down on a towel for the A/C to dry me off.  Sometimes Tylenol, but not this week.  If I don't lay on the towel long enough, even after I'm dry, then I'll start sweating again.  By afternoon, I'm back to baseline and will have consumed 3 quarts of water, with 1 more to go.  As I write this, I'm finishing my 2nd quart.

So, it takes some time and years to figure out the right protocol to keep me upright, post-plod, down here in the swamp.  A nice, light west breeze was in my face for the last 2 miles.  That helped.  It also indicated that my body temp was going up.  But NEVER was I light headed.

Back in the Summer of 2017, you may remember I was training for Javelina Jundred in Arizona.  I ran some of a 17 or 20 mile loop in July during the daylight morning and early afternoon to get acclimated.  I remember nearly passing out at 1 p.m.

In closing, I know the body is responding to my protocol because I gotta go pee.  4 hours since finishing and the kidneys are ready to be good kidneys.
I had a very easy 4 miles on my schedule this morning...after two hard days.  I was sluggish and miserable in 63 degree weather with 81% humidity.  I can't imagine running in Houston in the summer!!!

Sounds like you have a good recovery plan.  Now go pee......
Yeah, those days will make you glad you get hills and low humidity.  However, humidity and hills wouldn't be great for this flatlander.

It's been a good afternoon, but 3 quarts intake made a quite regular frequent pee-er for the afternoon.  I took a preventative Meloxicam 15 mg to help the muscles in the overnight.  One injury I got on Wednesday and resurfaced on Friday was a blister on my left big toe.  Popped it, put anti-bacterial on it, and wrapped it up.

I'm leaning to plodding 7 miles on Monday.  Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 am

Plodding is not fun.  But, like Nancy recently wrote and I validated a four or so years ago, it will payoff later when the weather cools off.

I did plod 7 miles, this morning.  It was 79 & 79 degrees.  FOUR times, I wrung out my headband!  Prior to today, even at the end of the plod did I achieve one wrung.  16:26 pace.

The legs were ready to plod and plod they did.  The watch said my HR avg was 120.  Polar seems to think I need a new setup, but Strava sucks up the run without any action from me.  Must've been an update.

So the plod was normal and pain free, except for the blister on the big toe that popped up last Wednesday.  Seems like I have another starting there.  I had performed care on the blister after the Friday run.  Guess I'm doing it again.  Has to be plod-caused, since blisters are not my usual malady.  Might have to break out the Injinji socks. Shocked

A couple of things to mention in passing.  I can limit my post-plod chills by drinking non-chilled water!  Last Saturday, I came to the conclusion that plodding those three 5 mile plods and lifting twice did not cause any cumulative fatigue.  May have found the balance, even if I won't do 5-5-5 mile plods, this week.

Tomorrow is lifting and Wednesday is tentatively treadmill time.  Presently on my 3rd quart of water.  Come again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:06 pm

The 30-35 minute lifting went well.  I did not have any residual problems from Monday's 7.  I guess I'm going slow enough that even the legs are in the hammock.

Considering whether to run 5 in the morning or doing some time on the treadmill.  Each has a benefit.  I guess I'll decide in the morning.  This morning, it was 81.

That's about it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:49 pm

Those are rugged conditions, to be sure.

Definitely grab those injinjis. They're great.

Have you considered whether your post-run chills may be due to electrolyte imbalance? If you're sweating that much and not popping S-Caps or whatnot, it could make your body unhappy. 

Or you could try chugging pickle juice. Mmm. Tasty.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:28 am

Mark B wrote:Those are rugged conditions, to be sure.

Have you considered whether your post-run chills may be due to electrolyte imbalance? If you're sweating that much and not popping S-Caps or whatnot, it could make your body unhappy. 

The chills come mostly when I've taken a run to an extreme for the shape that I'm in at the time.

I make sure I am current on potassium intake because if potassium is on track, salt always follows in line.  I haven't taken an S-Cap in probably 5 years.  Still have a bottle, too.  Salt won't stay in the body when there's not enough potassium to carry it.  

-30-

I went to the gym to get on the treadmill.  I was not able to run at a 161 cadence at 15:00/mile for much past 8 or 9 minutes.  That was a 'woe is me' moment.  Took me a while to come up with a remedy to increase that portion of the training for speed.  So I need to get faster, at the gym, while I plod on Mondays.

The idea is to continue treadmilling on Wednesdays and Fridays, plus treadmill, after my 30-35 minute lifting on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  T-Th running won't be intense, just around 60% of W-F effort.

No clue if that'll work, but that's the idea.  Treadmilling 4 days a week.  Long run on Mondays.  Five days total.  Something I haven't done in many years.  But, I have to at least give it a whirl.  Should know in a couple of weeks how it tolls.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:36 am

This morning, I went to the gym to lift and to treadmill.  I carried my watch, gnome, and running shorts in a little bag, while lifting.

After lifting, I went to the locker room to switch into the treadmilling gear.  Turns out that I ran just a few seconds longer than yesterday, which was good because I didn't suck up so much energy that I couldn't run.  I was at a 161 cadence (part of the reason for the short time), 15:00 pace and 1.5% incline.

One thing that I found humorously odd was the following.  There was a thin framed girl in her 30s using the treadmill next to the one I use with the fan blowing on me.  She was there first and she was scampering along on her treadmill, when I started.  What I found funny was (and maybe you won't), here's this girl running at a pace obviously faster than mine, but we were neck and neck.  My turnover was faster than hers, which again was odd.  

And for all of the years that I have ran by myself, here's this girl and I about 1-2 feet apart and running together.  Odd feeling.  Like I had a rabbit.

Tomorrow, treadmill only....well maybe lifting other machines that I don't now touch and treadmill.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Those are rugged conditions, to be sure.

The chills come mostly when I've taken a run to an extreme for the shape that I'm in at the time.

I make sure I am current on potassium intake because if potassium is on track, salt always follows in line.  I haven't taken an S-Cap in probably 5 years.  Still have a bottle, too.  Salt won't stay in the body when there's not enough potassium to carry it.  

-30-

I went to the gym to get on the treadmill.  I was not able to run at a 161 cadence at 15:00/mile for much past 8 or 9 minutes.  That was a 'woe is me' moment.  Took me a while to come up with a remedy to increase that portion of the training for speed.  So I need to get faster, at the gym, while I plod on Mondays.

The idea is to continue treadmilling on Wednesdays and Fridays, plus treadmill, after my 30-35 minute lifting on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  T-Th running won't be intense, just around 60% of W-F effort.

No clue if that'll work, but that's the idea.  Treadmilling 4 days a week.  Long run on Mondays.  Five days total.  Something I haven't done in many years.  But, I have to at least give it a whirl.  Should know in a couple of weeks how it tolls.
The potassium/sodium relationship is interesting.  My potassium is still high but my sodium levels are normal.

I think trying to run 4 or 5 days a week is a good plan.  It doesn't have to be fast or long.  Anytime running will help get you to your goal.
ounce wrote:This morning, I went to the gym to lift and to treadmill.  I carried my watch, gnome, and running shorts in a little bag, while lifting.

After lifting, I went to the locker room to switch into the treadmilling gear.  Turns out that I ran just a few seconds longer than yesterday, which was good because I didn't suck up so much energy that I couldn't run.  I was at a 161 cadence (part of the reason for the short time), 15:00 pace and 1.5% incline.

One thing that I found humorously odd was the following.  There was a thin framed girl in her 30s using the treadmill next to the one I use with the fan blowing on me.  She was there first and she was scampering along on her treadmill, when I started.  What I found funny was (and maybe you won't), here's this girl running at a pace obviously faster than mine, but we were neck and neck.  My turnover was faster than hers, which again was odd.  

And for all of the years that I have ran by myself, here's this girl and I about 1-2 feet apart and running together.  Odd feeling.  Like I had a rabbit.

Tomorrow, treadmill only....well maybe lifting other machines that I don't now touch and treadmill.
Good to hear that your lifting didn't compromise your ability to run on the treadmill.  Both will serve you well.

Love the rabbit story...let us know if she's there again.   Razz

I've given up trying to follow the weather...but I'm sure you're getting slammed just like most of the country.  It's either to hot, to cold, to wet, to dry or all of the above depending on the day.

Take care and stay safe.  Enjoy your weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:25 am

Nice effort outside in tough conditions this morning.  Treadmill running is effective but if you can manage outdoor running I do think it's more effective.  That said...take care of yourself and make sure you hydrate and pay attention to nutrition/electrolytes.   Shots

Impressive effort...have a good weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:18 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice effort outside in tough conditions this morning.  Treadmill running is effective but if you can manage outdoor running I do think it's more effective.  That said...take care of yourself and make sure you hydrate and pay attention to nutrition/electrolytes.   Shots

Well, thanks.  

I have a pair of quandaries.  Build stamina, but at an excrutiatingly slow pace due to heat 'n humidity.  Work on speed on a treadmill, but with no stamina to go any faster than 15 min/mile pace for about 10 minutes at a 161 cadence.  The marathon pace goal is 13/mile.

This is quite a mountain to scale.  

I guess I could run outside on M & F, then lift and treadmill on TWTh.

Today, I just felt like I needed to work on endurance so the 7 miles on Monday isn't the only run of the week.  That's why I ran 5 outside today.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:03 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Nice effort outside in tough conditions this morning.  Treadmill running is effective but if you can manage outdoor running I do think it's more effective.  That said...take care of yourself and make sure you hydrate and pay attention to nutrition/electrolytes.   Shots

Well, thanks.  

I have a pair of quandaries.  Build stamina, but at an excrutiatingly slow pace due to heat 'n humidity.  Work on speed on a treadmill, but with no stamina to go any faster than 15 min/mile pace for about 10 minutes at a 161 cadence.  The marathon pace goal is 13/mile.

This is quite a mountain to scale.  

I guess I could run outside on M & F, then lift and treadmill on TWTh.

Today, I just felt like I needed to work on endurance so the 7 miles on Monday isn't the only run of the week.  That's why I ran 5 outside today.
I agree that you've got quite a task in front of you...training has been interrupted for various reasons the last couple years.  But I do think it's doable and you're on the right track.  If you do a mixture of outdoor running and treadmill running you'll be building both speed (treadmill) and stamina (outdoors).  Your plan to run outdoors a couple days a week and then indoors 2-3 days a week should work well.  When the weather cools you'll be ready to move to more outside running and more race specific training runs.  Money Just be cautious on those hot humid mornings.  Don't overdo it and make sure you hydrate and recover well.  Listen to your body and remember this is about having fun.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:42 am

I can say, Nancy, that plodding outdoors isn't fun.  But I'm playing the long game.

I finished 8 miles, this morning.  The start of the last mile was very difficult, but the last quarter mile sort of evened it all out.  It was 81 degrees with a dew point of 75.  Still a swamp or a sauna, take your pick.  We hit 100, yesterday, at the big airport.  First 100 since August of 2020.  Depending on which TV station you watch, the next 7 days are forecasted to be between 99-105.  I think the 105 is not as likely, but it drives home the point that the heat ain't going nowhere.

I think that I did well for the first 4 miles (not looking at the splits).  'Well' defined as it didn't feel like I was running through oatmeal.  There never was a time through the first 7 miles where I was looking to stop.  The thought never entered my mind, which is a nice mental state to be in with the weather like it is.  Mile 8?  Well, about 4 times.

I did finish 8, though.  16:11 pace, the Garmin says.  Had a niggle on the 5th metatarsal (baby toe bone) on the left foot where it changes to the cuboid that resolved itself by the 7th mile.

One nice thing about running in the Summer in Houston, if there is one.  Morning runs truly can't get much warmer than it is right now.  81 or 82 degrees with a dew point of 79 is the upper range.  On the other hand, Galveston, being right on the Gulf, was at 83 degrees with a Heat Index of 94 at 6 a.m.  So, it could be worse.

I have to figure out how my Polar is no longer syncing with Strava.  An update messed things up, I  imagine.

On my 3rd quart of water.  Cheers.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:21 pm

The afternoon update is I've noticed some wobbliness, when I walk outside.  It's not something a person could notice.  Just the operator.  I've had no other niggles which, to me, is a little odd.  I thought there would be some sort of soreness, sitting-still-then-stand-and-walk soreness.  But nuffin'.

I tried something today regarding possible chills.  Before leaving to run, I let a bottle of cold water just sit on the counter and lose it's coldness for when I got back.  So the body doesn't have to warm up the cold water anymore.

I'll be lifting in the morning, then work a treadmill.  I am encouraged that I can lift weights for 30-35 minutes, then hop on the treadmill for at least 10 minutes.

thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:28 am

I think (sorry, it happens) I should've kept track on which iteration of 2022 Marathon Training in which I am, presently.  Or maybe start another blog called "Training with Flies."  I have another 328 or so posts to go on this the 2nd iteration of Term Limits, so maybe then.

Why "Training with Flies" as a blog title?  Because I'm making so many changes...on the fly. Rolling Eyes  You heard it here, first.  

I should probably trademark that.  You never know when Mark will actually start a "Couch to 24 Hours Around on a Track" program.

-30-

This morning, I lifted for 30 minutes.  Then, I changed shorts in the locker room and headed to the treadmill.  Since T & Th now contain a running component, what is my goal for T & Th?  Wednesday is going to try to be a longer version of T & Th or, at least, to failure.

Today was not going to be to failure.  My SWAG for Tuesday was to run a half mile (in time) at 14/mile at 161 cadence.  I did a walking warmup, then stopped to reset the machine.  Then, off I went.  Surprisingly, I had no residual stiffness or 'crap in the lines' that would cause discomfort.  I completed the 7 minutes at 13:57 pace (closest I could come to 14) at 1.5% incline with no slowing.  That sort of surprised me.  In weeks past, by running at 15/mile, I could not go past 8 minutes.  Maybe the legs are used to 15's or something.

Anywho, I was pleased.  No niggles from yesterday's 8 and no back talk from the legs on today's 7 minutes.  All goals were met.

Tomorrow's run.  Hmmm.  Thinking the same pace but maybe 10 minutes.  I dunno.  I'll ask the Flies.  Thursday will be kinda like today.  Maybe T-W-Th will be progressive time & pace, until it cools off.  We hit 102, yesterday.

thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:01 pm

Love the new blog name idea.  Laughing  And yes you never know when Mark...and Alita...may rise from the couch and train for a 24 hour event.  Especially once Alec heads south.

In all seriousness I think that sometimes we need to recognize the need for change.  Sometimes it's because our circumstances have changed ie heart attacks and such.  And sometimes it's just because we realize that things just aren't working so it's time to try something new.

I can see progress in your training.  I know it's tough and sometimes discouraging but I admire you for sticking with it!

Hope you get the watch issues sorted out.

Take care...stay cool...I'll try to catch up on some of the details of your recent posts when I have more time.

Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:59 pm

nkrichards wrote:Love the new blog name idea.  Laughing  And yes you never know when Mark...and Alita...may rise from the couch and train for a 24 hour event.  Especially once Alec heads south.

In all seriousness I think that sometimes we need to recognize the need for change.  Sometimes it's because our circumstances have changed ie heart attacks and such.  And sometimes it's just because we realize that things just aren't working so it's time to try something new.

I can see progress in your training.  I know it's tough and sometimes discouraging but I admire you for sticking with it!

Hope you get the watch issues sorted out.

Take care...stay cool...I'll try to catch up on some of the details of your recent posts when I have more time.

Stay safe.
Thanks, Nancy.  Thanks.  

I'm quite frankly surprised that I'm able to plod 8 miles on Monday, on Tuesday lift weights THEN run a 14 minute pace for 7 minutes at 161 cadence...all in 45 minutes, then this morning to run 12 minutes at a mid-15 pace at 161 cadence with seemingly no loss in energy stores nor niggles.  Tomorrow is another Tuesday with maybe a faster pace.  I figured I'd be napping each afternoon, but only napped on Monday for 90 minutes.
Friday is a 5 or 6 mile plod.  I'm waiting for the cumulative fatigue to pop out like a jack in the box.  So bizarre.

Maybe it'll end up to where I can run and plod Monday through Friday.  Stranger things have happened.

-30-

As mentioned above, I ran for 12 minutes at a mid-15 pace, this morning.  I started to not track straight at 8 minutes (a wobble), then wanted to complete another 30 seconds.  Within that 30 seconds, I lost the wobble and continued to 12:30, at which I started to not do 161 cadence, so I knew to stop.  12 minutes is a good run, these days.

Where Tuesdays and Thursdays are faster pace for a shorter time (losing cadence is the marker), Wednesdays are slower than T-Th, but longer time.  Soon (like July), I want to get the T-Th pace down to 13/mile.  Then I want to build the time at that pace up to one hour in length because the treadmill works for an hour.  13 is marathon pace goal.  Wednesday will be a little slower up to 1 hour.  All the while plodding long on Mondays and sorta long on Fridays.

I have no idea if this will work.  No clue.  `\__(*:*)__/`

Gotta try something.  I won't be able to plod on July 4, so that'll be a designated rest day. Approval Sweaty Sweaty Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:05 pm

For uploading purposes, the Polar still doesn't sync with the phone.  Yesterday, Strava managed to upload the data that I couldn't see on the Polar app nor their website, when I charged the watch up on the laptop.

I haven't been able do that, this morning.  Polar is located in Sweden (or somewhere where the sun isn't setting, right now).

As a result, I will have to report this morning's treadmill time from memory.  I lifted for about 35 minutes, prior to the run.  I got on the treadmill and targeted a pace of 13:37.  Tuesday, I believe, it was 13:57.  "Why not increase the pace?" I said to myself.  I'm going to have to speed up to a 13 minute pace, anyway.  Within the first 30 seconds, I was not keeping up with the belt and I was slowly creeping backwards.  I had to speed up, so I wouldn't fall off!  I did and quickly came to the conclusion that I haven't ran at this pace in a very long time.

But I got into a groove and was able to keep up the pace and cadence for 8 minutes.  I was tired at 6 minutes, but the TV in front of me was about to go to a commercial break.  I said that I wanted to keep running until they came back on the other side of the break.  I made it and stopped the thing.  Oooh for knowing how much my heart rate was!  I know it was in the 140s.

However, that run got me to thinking about how I can extend the run for a longer period.  What if I stopped, with the belt still turning, and rested for a minute or less or more?  Then, re-start again for maybe 5 minutes or longer or until I can't maintain cadence?  Maybe like one of these ladders.  A 440, rest 60 seconds, 880, rest, 1320, rest, mile, rest, 1320, etc.

What does this do for me getting my MP down to 13:00/mile?  This training season is all about getting to a 13 MP.  Maybe do this on a Wednesday, when I'm not lifting?  Or maybe do it on either T or Th after lifting?  Seems like the ladder needs to be done by itself because I'm sensing about 16-440's with 6 rests.  {insert old adding machine noise} That's going to take an hour.  Yup, that's Wednesday.

More flies!  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:03 pm

ounce wrote:

I have no idea if this will work.  No clue.  `\__(*:*)__/`

Gotta try something.  I won't be able to plod on July 4, so that'll be a designated rest day. Approval Sweaty Sweaty Ride
You'll never know if you don't give it a try.

I've got a small local 10K on the 4th.  Fun downhill...mostly on gravel...includes a leap over a cattle guard.  It's Madras...what can I say.
ounce wrote:For uploading purposes, the Polar still doesn't sync with the phone.  Yesterday, Strava managed to upload the data that I couldn't see on the Polar app nor their website, when I charged the watch up on the laptop.

I haven't been able do that, this morning.  Polar is located in Sweden (or somewhere where the sun isn't setting, right now).

As a result, I will have to report this morning's treadmill time from memory.  I lifted for about 35 minutes, prior to the run.  I got on the treadmill and targeted a pace of 13:37.  Tuesday, I believe, it was 13:57.  "Why not increase the pace?" I said to myself.  I'm going to have to speed up to a 13 minute pace, anyway.  Within the first 30 seconds, I was not keeping up with the belt and I was slowly creeping backwards.  I had to speed up, so I wouldn't fall off!  I did and quickly came to the conclusion that I haven't ran at this pace in a very long time.

But I got into a groove and was able to keep up the pace and cadence for 8 minutes.  I was tired at 6 minutes, but the TV in front of me was about to go to a commercial break.  I said that I wanted to keep running until they came back on the other side of the break.  I made it and stopped the thing.  Oooh for knowing how much my heart rate was!  I know it was in the 140s.

However, that run got me to thinking about how I can extend the run for a longer period.  What if I stopped, with the belt still turning, and rested for a minute or less or more?  Then, re-start again for maybe 5 minutes or longer or until I can't maintain cadence?  Maybe like one of these ladders.  A 440, rest 60 seconds, 880, rest, 1320, rest, mile, rest, 1320, etc.

What does this do for me getting my MP down to 13:00/mile?  This training season is all about getting to a 13 MP.  Maybe do this on a Wednesday, when I'm not lifting?  Or maybe do it on either T or Th after lifting?  Seems like the ladder needs to be done by itself because I'm sensing about 16-440's with 6 rests.  {insert old adding machine noise} That's going to take an hour.  Yup, that's Wednesday.

More flies!  Thanks.
I'm not going to comment on the specifics of your plan.  I don't have the knowledge or experience to offer technical advice.  I will say that I think the theory is sound.  I think adding some faster intervals to your training will pay off and help get you to MP.  You'll have to play with the speed and length of the faster intervals as well as the length of the rest periods.  Does the treadmill you're using have the capability to program in faster and slower paces for set times.  I know it's a hassle to reset the machine by hand.  I would encourage you to at least walk or slow jog the rest sessions if possible but maybe that's not a good fit on the equipment that's available to you.  

I know how frustrating it can be when you're in a rebuilding mode.  That's why I took a pause from running and did more biking and swimming.  My first Century Ride was a PR because it was my first.  My first Olympic triathlon was a PR.  My first Half IM was a PR.  But I just couldn't get the desire to run another marathon...and run it well...out of my mind.  I know how you feel.  I'm making progress and it's good progress.  It's encouraging.  But I'm still in a rebuilding mode.  It doesn't happen quickly.  Sometimes it's discouraging....

Nice effort this morning.  Always better to have the Garmin overestimate miles...

Keep at it and keep sharing.  Love hearing about your plans and your progress.

Stay safe this weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:39 pm

I used to run when I lived in Thailand, but even Southeast Asia isn't as brutal as summer in Houston. You have my respect for heading out there melting the meat off your bones in that giant slow cooker that is South Texas. Thank heavens for treadmills and AC!

Speaking of treadmills, I think you're on to something with your idea of some interval training to work on your faster-twitch muscles. I'm not sure if it'd be better to slow down to a walk rather than just stop dead by moving to the side rails. It may depend on how hard it is to change the speed of the 'mill. If you can just push a button to drop down to 2 mph from wherever you're at, then pushing a single button to speed up again, that might be a better choice. If you can't do that, hopping on the side rails may have to do. If you do that, you might want to push that fast pace a bit. Maybe start with 1 minute fast, 1 minute rest. It that works, go to 2 minutes fast, 1 minute rest, etc., and keep progressing as your body allows. 

One thing about that, though: You should definitely treat it like speedwork (since it is) and not overdo it.

I like the idea of a new blog title. Hm. I wonder if I could come up with one of my own someday? Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:14 pm

I appreciate the tips, y'all.  "Training with Flies" is the same principle as "Hey, what if...."  

I don't cool down after a run by jogging.  When I'm done, I stop and recover.  That's why I would straddle the belt on a treadmill to rest a bit.  Adjusting the speed is a button to push, as long as the session is ongoing.  If I do a ladder, then I may have to push the button.  I just recover quicker by either stopping or stop, then walk a bit.

Tomorrow will be a regular lifting day with treadmill afterwards.  I thought that I don't have to do the walking warm up, before running because the lifting can be the warm up.  The 6 minute warm up after my angina thing in December 2020 was patterned after the nuke stress test.  I had to warm up 2 x 3 minutes.

-30-

This morning it was 82 degrees with a dew point of 78 or so.  The humidity didn't disappoint.  All of these outside runs on Mondays and Fridays are executed without the gnome.  I figured out that if I start out for a 4 or longer run at 161 cadence, then I run out of gas real quick.  So, run Mondays and Fridays without a gnome because I wanted to get the endurance at whatever the cadence was.  Cadences started in the mid-140s and would get as low as 134.  Not encouraging.  I wanted to make a change.

I looked at the past 6 outside runs and figured that 140 would be an average of cadence.  I started the gnome around mile 2.  The 140s held through mile 5, rather than just the first two miles.  That was a nice positive.

I ended up plodding 9 miles, which was the goal, at a 16 minute pace.  The nice thing about 9 miles is that I had access to 2 water fountains at Memorial Park.  I would pass them both going and coming.  

The last 2.5 miles were really arduous.  I was wobbling for much of it and had one of those Eureka! moments.  My wobbling wasn't heat related or for lack of water, which was wrong, too.  What I needed was a little bit of sugar to break the brain fog.  I didn't have any, so I just soldiered on and finished.

In the past, I would use Fig Newtons.  I think now that I'll use those peppermint lozenge like things.  SOMETHING to give me some sugar to blow the brain fog away.  So, I'll try that in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty tired, right now, but not sore.  A nap will come easy, if I keep on typing.

Thanks for the comments and I'll just keep at it.  Something's bound to stick.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 pm

ounce wrote:I appreciate the tips, y'all.  "Training with Flies" is the same principle as "Hey, what if...."  

I don't cool down after a run by jogging.  When I'm done, I stop and recover.  That's why I would straddle the belt on a treadmill to rest a bit.  Adjusting the speed is a button to push, as long as the session is ongoing.  If I do a ladder, then I may have to push the button.  I just recover quicker by either stopping or stop, then walk a bit.

Tomorrow will be a regular lifting day with treadmill afterwards.  I thought that I don't have to do the walking warm up, before running because the lifting can be the warm up.  The 6 minute warm up after my angina thing in December 2020 was patterned after the nuke stress test.  I had to warm up 2 x 3 minutes.

-30-

This morning it was 82 degrees with a dew point of 78 or so.  The humidity didn't disappoint.  All of these outside runs on Mondays and Fridays are executed without the gnome.  I figured out that if I start out for a 4 or longer run at 161 cadence, then I run out of gas real quick.  So, run Mondays and Fridays without a gnome because I wanted to get the endurance at whatever the cadence was.  Cadences started in the mid-140s and would get as low as 134.  Not encouraging.  I wanted to make a change.

I looked at the past 6 outside runs and figured that 140 would be an average of cadence.  I started the gnome around mile 2.  The 140s held through mile 5, rather than just the first two miles.  That was a nice positive.

I ended up plodding 9 miles, which was the goal, at a 16 minute pace.  The nice thing about 9 miles is that I had access to 2 water fountains at Memorial Park.  I would pass them both going and coming.  

The last 2.5 miles were really arduous.  I was wobbling for much of it and had one of those Eureka! moments.  My wobbling wasn't heat related or for lack of water, which was wrong, too.  What I needed was a little bit of sugar to break the brain fog.  I didn't have any, so I just soldiered on and finished.

In the past, I would use Fig Newtons.  I think now that I'll use those peppermint lozenge like things.  SOMETHING to give me some sugar to blow the brain fog away.  So, I'll try that in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty tired, right now, but not sore.  A nap will come easy, if I keep on typing.

Thanks for the comments and I'll just keep at it.  Something's bound to stick.
Sounds like the stepping off to the side rails of the treadmill is an good option for you.

I didn't realize you weren't using the gnome on your longer outside runs.  Makes sense though.  Tough to keep that cadence up for so long.  Your work around sounds reasonable.  

Funny that you realized the wobbling may be caused by lack of sugar.  I got caught out the other day when I made a route change and didn't get back to my bottle of sports drink soon enough.  I could really feel the effects.  I was going to ask how you were hydrating and fueling but you beat me to it with answers.  You'll need to fuel during the marathon so it will be good practice.

I've always been in awe of your dedication to run in Houston summer conditions but I have a new found respect.  I had to bale later yesterday and wasn't able to start my run till close to noon.  86 at the start and 90 at the finish.  Fortunately it was low humidity but I still cooked.  Only an easy 4 on my schedule.  I took a short walk break and rehydrated at mile 2.  Got it done at a slow...12:30 pace...and recovered well.  It was cooler today.  cheers

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.  It's fun to hear how you're adjusting.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:51 am

Sorry for my delinquency.  Things have settled enough to where this came up.

By the way, y'all have a good 4th.

This latest fly of running something M-F that started on June 20th was pretty nice because I hadn't felt too tired to get up in the morning and actually run or plod.  And I was up to, excluding weekends, 8 days in a row without that real groggy wakeup to the alarm.  Wednesday, I was only able to treadmill 8 minutes at a 15 pace.

Thursday came.  I made the mistake of setting the alarm for 4 p.m., instead of 4 a.m.  So, I wasn't able to run.  The real surprise was I slept until 5:45 before I woke up.  Guess the body was tired, but too respectful to let me know.

Friday came.  Alarm?  Check.  Buuuuuut, the alarm wasn't loud enough to wake me and I slept to 4:44.  However, it was raining outside and I wasn't going to run in it, nor drive to the gym because it was the first rain in weeks and the oil layer on the roads would have caused extra slipperage.

So, tomorrow will be my first plod since last Wednesday and will be 9 or so miles.  78 degree dark-morning weather remains and I'll restart the streak, while looking for subtle hints that I should not do streaks of running.  Today, I need to go to the store and get something sugary (leaning towards Fig Newtons) and a new charging cable for my phone.

Toodles
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:55 pm

This morning, it was 80 degrees and 100% humidity.  Sometimes it's called 'air that you wear.'  That was accurate.

There were a couple of changes for today's 9 mile run.  First was the addition of 2 Fig Newtons for brain fog.  But there was a hangup.  The newer pair of Brooks Sherpa shorts (I've worn that style for about 15 years) has two pockets and a back zippered pocket like an old pair that I still wear.  But the newer pair's side pockets were much smaller and one Fig Newton wouldn't fit.  So, I wore the old pair and will be in the market for a new pair.

The second change was with the gnome.  Starting about mile 3, I bumped the cadence to 141 because when I set a cadence at 140, it invariably reports as 139.  I was tired of seeing 130's for a cadence on the reports.

The Polar watch is having GPS satellite issues.  Since their last update, the watch is losing the GPS when I go under an overpass.  Up to that point, both the Polar and the Garmin were within one-hundreth of a mile, which is odd in and of itself, but I was going to be fine with it.  After re-emerging, the Polar is now one-tenth ahead.  It's in reality about 150-200 feet in width.  Then it picks up another two-hundreths by going under a double railroad track overpass.

So by the time I turned around to go home the Polar was at 4.75 miles and the Garmin at 4.63 miles.  When I approached the freeway overpass, I stopped the Polar and let the Garmin continue.  I re-started the Polar on the other side and they became seven-hundreths closer.  At the finish, the Polar had pulled ahead for fifteen-hundreths.  9.00 vs 8.85.  15:08 pace vs 16:04 pace.

Well, the pace wasn't the important thing on this run.  Cadence and HR were the important measurements.  Keep in mind that I'm running 9 on 5 days rest

I wear the Garmin for the cadence because the Polar only gives you a two digit number for stride.  So a 72 could be 143, 144, or 145 cadence for each foot in the Garmin.

BPM was higher, this time, because I was running (at times comfortably during miles 5 & 6) a higher cadence for the 2nd half of the run.  I wanted the higher HR, so the heart can be pushed out of the hammock, some.  It gets bored at 120 bpm.  Last week's 9 had 7 splits with an HR of either 120 or 121 bpm and 4 spm splits below 140.

1.  147 spm, 110 bpm
2.  143 spm, 116 bpm
3.  141 spm, 120 bpm
4.  141 spm, 120 bpm
5.  141 spm, 122 bpm
6.  141 spm, 123 bpm
7.  141 spm, 126 bpm
8.  139 spm, 128 bpm
9.  140 spm, 132 bpm

I ate one of the Fig Newtons after a water stop at 5 miles.  I wasn't too bad at that point, but I just have to experiment somewhere.  The 2nd Fig Newton I took at 6.5 miles.  I sure could've used one at 7.75 miles.  So for the next run, I'll eat one at 6.5 and the second at 8.  I'll see how that works out.

I never would have thought that I was as consistent on cadence as I was this morning.  I do know I was having a higher HR, which I loved.  I also love having access to two water fountains each, going and coming, and spread out about 3/4ths of a mile.

So it was, overall, a good and pleasing run.  Tomorrow, is lifting and I'll run a little on the treadmill.  Maybe 12 or more minutes to blow out the lines.

Never would've imagined any kind of a pleasing run at 80 degrees air temp and dew point.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:36 pm

ounce wrote:This morning, it was 80 degrees and 100% humidity.  Sometimes it's called 'air that you wear.'  That was accurate.

There were a couple of changes for today's 9 mile run.  First was the addition of 2 Fig Newtons for brain fog.  But there was a hangup.  The newer pair of Brooks Sherpa shorts (I've worn that style for about 15 years) has two pockets and a back zippered pocket like an old pair that I still wear.  But the newer pair's side pockets were much smaller and one Fig Newton wouldn't fit.  So, I wore the old pair and will be in the market for a new pair.

The second change was with the gnome.  Starting about mile 3, I bumped the cadence to 141 because when I set a cadence at 140, it invariably reports as 139.  I was tired of seeing 130's for a cadence on the reports.

The Polar watch is having GPS satellite issues.  Since their last update, the watch is losing the GPS when I go under an overpass.  Up to that point, both the Polar and the Garmin were within one-hundreth of a mile, which is odd in and of itself, but I was going to be fine with it.  After re-emerging, the Polar is now one-tenth ahead.  It's in reality about 150-200 feet in width.  Then it picks up another two-hundreths by going under a double railroad track overpass.

So by the time I turned around to go home the Polar was at 4.75 miles and the Garmin at 4.63 miles.  When I approached the freeway overpass, I stopped the Polar and let the Garmin continue.  I re-started the Polar on the other side and they became seven-hundreths closer.  At the finish, the Polar had pulled ahead for fifteen-hundreths.  9.00 vs 8.85.  15:08 pace vs 16:04 pace.

Well, the pace wasn't the important thing on this run.  Cadence and HR were the important measurements.  Keep in mind that I'm running 9 on 5 days rest

I wear the Garmin for the cadence because the Polar only gives you a two digit number for stride.  So a 72 could be 143, 144, or 145 cadence for each foot in the Garmin.

BPM was higher, this time, because I was running (at times comfortably during miles 5 & 6) a higher cadence for the 2nd half of the run.  I wanted the higher HR, so the heart can be pushed out of the hammock, some.  It gets bored at 120 bpm.  Last week's 9 had 7 splits with an HR of either 120 or 121 bpm and 4 spm splits below 140.

1.  147 spm, 110 bpm
2.  143 spm, 116 bpm
3.  141 spm, 120 bpm
4.  141 spm, 120 bpm
5.  141 spm, 122 bpm
6.  141 spm, 123 bpm
7.  141 spm, 126 bpm
8.  139 spm, 128 bpm
9.  140 spm, 132 bpm

I ate one of the Fig Newtons after a water stop at 5 miles.  I wasn't too bad at that point, but I just have to experiment somewhere.  The 2nd Fig Newton I took at 6.5 miles.  I sure could've used one at 7.75 miles.  So for the next run, I'll eat one at 6.5 and the second at 8.  I'll see how that works out.

I never would have thought that I was as consistent on cadence as I was this morning.  I do know I was having a higher HR, which I loved.  I also love having access to two water fountains each, going and coming, and spread out about 3/4ths of a mile.

So it was, overall, a good and pleasing run.  Tomorrow, is lifting and I'll run a little on the treadmill.  Maybe 12 or more minutes to blow out the lines.

Never would've imagined any kind of a pleasing run at 80 degrees air temp and dew point.  Thanks.
Hope you get the shorts figured out.  I hate it when they make changes to favorite shoes/gear and end up with something that doesn't work for me any longer.

Are the watches working any better?  Frustrating isn't it.

This was a good run!  Nice paces in those conditions.  And it's good to see you pushing your HR and cadence a bit.   bounce  Don't wait to long to refuel.  If you wait to long it won't be effective soon enough. 

Also good to see that you listened to your body and just walked when indicated.

And...you got the HR up again on the treadmill this morning.

Keep at it.  Hope lifting is going well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:58 pm

Maybe I'll bring 3 Fig Newtons.

I will be looking for another pair of shorts just in case the door key on the dog tags doesn't work.

And I have created a new blog.  I couldn't find the forwarding order forms with the Post Office to notify everyone, but we're a small town and the new blog won't be hard to find.  I also wanted to push down in the Latest Topics the new post about alcohol.  Odd question.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 27 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27