365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

5 posters

Page 12 of 28 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 28  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 12 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:On a personal note, my stupid #$@! shoulder isn't much better, despite lots of PT exercises. I'm not sure what I did to it (combination of overuse and a strain/sprain is my best guess), but geez, I wish it'd heal up. It's annoying.
It's called old age Mark...

Pfft.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing up my body on my own without having to blame it on how many laps I've taken around the sun.

Anyway... I can actually report something that looks like physical activity today.

Walk: Along the Columbia River with Alita. 4.36 miles.

Nice weather and motivation finally intersected for us on Sunday afternoon, and we headed out to test out what I guess I'll call the end-to-end route of the waterfront promenade (known locally as the Columbia River Renaissance Trail) that's so conveniently located to where we live. We started near the eastern end of the trail, walked to the eastern end, where it dead-ends into the former World War II Kaiser Shipyards, turned an about face, and walked to the other end of the trail, in the fancy new Vancouver Waterfront Park. Then we turned around again and headed back. The whole loop is about 4.35 miles, which is a good distance.

It's possible to extend this route by going around the old shipyard site (which is still being used by steel fabricators and an actual shipbuilder) and hooking up with a park on the other side. That'll be an exploration for another time.

The weather was sunny and a little chilly, but nice. Strava says we averaged a 16:10 pace walking, and my HR average was 111 bpm.

Not bad as a start. We just need to start repeating it.

Yeah but it's always nice to have an excuse available...and old age is a convenient one.

Sounds like a nice walking/running option.  I love being able to step out the door and not drive!  Is the surface conducive to barefoot running when you're ready for that?

Nice to hear that you...and Alita...got in some activity!

I'm going to hold off on that "old age" excuse as long as possible. I'm thinking, maybe in my 90s? 

It is nice to have a "destination" running area so close, for sure, and yes... it can be managed barefoot. I did it once already, when I did a lunchtime run this direction from work a few years ago. It abraded my soles a bit (it's textured concrete), but I also got carried away and did part of it a *lot* faster than usual. 

ounce wrote:Imagine the shock from the cardio-thoracic region when his heartbeat topped 100.  affraid affraid confused confused confused pale pale pale pale

The cardio-thracic region seemed fine with it, as did the gluteal region, and they liked it more after I'd warmed up a bit. 

Definitely cheers

If not quite bounce yet.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:On a personal note, my stupid #$@! shoulder isn't much better, despite lots of PT exercises. I'm not sure what I did to it (combination of overuse and a strain/sprain is my best guess), but geez, I wish it'd heal up. It's annoying.

Pfft.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing up my body on my own without having to blame it on how many laps I've taken around the sun.

Anyway... I can actually report something that looks like physical activity today.

Nice weather and motivation finally intersected for us on Sunday afternoon, and we headed out to test out what I guess I'll call the end-to-end route of the waterfront promenade (known locally as the Columbia River Renaissance Trail) that's so conveniently located to where we live. We started near the eastern end of the trail, walked to the eastern end, where it dead-ends into the former World War II Kaiser Shipyards, turned an about face, and walked to the other end of the trail, in the fancy new Vancouver Waterfront Park. Then we turned around again and headed back. The whole loop is about 4.35 miles, which is a good distance.

It's possible to extend this route by going around the old shipyard site (which is still being used by steel fabricators and an actual shipbuilder) and hooking up with a park on the other side. That'll be an exploration for another time.

The weather was sunny and a little chilly, but nice. Strava says we averaged a 16:10 pace walking, and my HR average was 111 bpm.

Yeah but it's always nice to have an excuse available...and old age is a convenient one.

Sounds like a nice walking/running option.  I love being able to step out the door and not drive!  Is the surface conducive to barefoot running when you're ready for that?

I'm going to hold off on that "old age" excuse as long as possible. I'm thinking, maybe in my 90s? 

It is nice to have a "destination" running area so close, for sure, and yes... it can be managed barefoot. I did it once already, when I did a lunchtime run this direction from work a few years ago. It abraded my soles a bit (it's textured concrete), but I also got carried away and did part of it a *lot* faster than usual. 

ounce wrote:Imagine the shock from the cardio-thoracic region when his heartbeat topped 100.  affraid affraid confused confused confused pale pale pale pale

The cardio-thracic region seemed fine with it, as did the gluteal region, and they liked it more after I'd warmed up a bit. 

Definitely cheers

If not quite bounce yet.
But just think of all of the discounts that you're missing by not being a member of A A R P!
Anywho, I'm pleased that you don't have an excuse as to where to exercise, until your distances get longer.  So, how far away are your alpacas, Fred 'n Ethel, from where you live now?  I can confirm that having Memorial Park less than 3 miles away is really nice, regarding running.

I probably have a rotator cuff like injury.  It started in my 20's throwing a softball.  I never got it checked out as my softball days were over.  But whenever I need to chunk a ball far or hard or both, I find out it's never healed, with an exclamation point.

Is Peru a hot spot on bioarcheology digs?  Sounds like a cool learning experience.  How many hours would he get credit for going?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Definitely cheers

If not quite bounce yet.
But just think of all of the discounts that you're missing by not being a member of A A R P!
Anywho, I'm pleased that you don't have an excuse as to where to exercise, until your distances get longer.  So, how far away are your alpacas, Fred 'n Ethel, from where you live now?  I can confirm that having Memorial Park less than 3 miles away is really nice, regarding running.

I probably have a rotator cuff like injury.  It started in my 20's throwing a softball.  I never got it checked out as my softball days were over.  But whenever I need to chunk a ball far or hard or both, I find out it's never healed, with an exclamation point.

Is Peru a hot spot on bioarcheology digs?  Sounds like a cool learning experience.  How many hours would he get credit for going?

AARP cards... bleah! tongue 

I shred 'em when they arrive in the mail.

Good question about Llama Ridge (and it was Larry, Moe and Curly, btw). According to Google Maps, it'd be an 11.2-mile jaunt out there on foot. Doable, if I was going l-o-o-o-n-g, I suppose. But it's more likely that I'd find a place to park out there and go frolic in the hills. 

There are other options closer to home for longer runs that don't involve too many city streets. There's a bike trail on the Oregon side of the Columbia River that I could access by running down to one freeway bridge, crossing over, finding the start of the trail (that's the tricky part), and either doing a big out-and-back on that trail OR finding the exit from that trail, crossing over ANOTHER freeway bridge upstream and then figuring out how to get back home on the Washington side. Might be doable... and USATF roughly estimates the distance at 18 miles. 

Here's how it looks on the map:

Trails for Two - Page 12 Screen15

Kinda involved, with probably too much exhaust along the freeways, but intriguing in a hardcore sort of way.

But as far as easy-access daily miles go, yeah: We're in a good spot right now. 

I went to the PT yesterday, and she's now thinking that there may be something else going on than tendinitis. My exercises aren't really having a big impact on the aching soreness. There's some arthritis in there (don't say it!) but not enough to cause problems - just the normal wear and tear that happens over time. So maybe some muscle tear? She did some graston on me, which didn't do much except in one very tender spot, but she cupped me and holy cow, did that hurt. Also made a huge bruise, which *may* suggest that it was drawing out old blood that had accumulated after an injury but couldn't dissipate? Not sure I get the whole cupping thing, but maybe? 

Anyway, she's asking the doc about further tests, maybe an cortisone shot. In the meantime, I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my bruised-up shoulder. Good times!

I don't know how popular/competitive the Peru thing is, but it sure sounds interesting to me. They said they'd get back to him fairly quickly on his applicaiton, so we're crossing our fingers. We think it'd be a great experience for him. If he wants to do archaeology as a career, he needs to know what it's like to get out there in the field and do the work. The "bioarchaeology" work, by the way, seems a lot like grave robbing. They dig up old bones and analyze them in the lab. I wonder how many bad puns he get before he decides they aren't humerous any more? Hm...

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Definitely lots of opportunities for Alec to learn/practice his skills in Peru.  Fingers crossed that he gets the opportunity!

Hopefully you're getting closer to figuring out the cause...and cure for you shoulder issues.

Looks like a fun, challenging running route.  As you mentioned it may be a bit less than pleasant on the freeway and bridges but the bike path would be nice.  I've driven by on several occasions and it doesn't seem to get heavy use.

Enjoy the trails closer to home for now...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm

He got it!!  cheers cheers cheers

Gotta be the llama influence.  What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Mark B wrote:He got it!!  cheers cheers cheers

Has to be the llamas.  Gratz!

Does his going to Peru after his freshman year show the WSU Archeology dept (or the right faculty) that he's serious and not wanting to drop the major because it's not sexy or his friends aren't 'doing' archeology?

Said with brevity....Does he get sizable brownie points at WSU?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 pm

ounce wrote:

Does his going to Peru after his freshman year show the WSU Archeology dept (or the right faculty) that he's serious and not wanting to drop the major because it's not sexy or his friends aren't 'doing' archeology?

Woohoo!!

Do you know when and exactly where he's going yet.  We had a really good time in Peru...and also some interesting experiences...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:41 am

ounce wrote:

I'd certainly hope so! 

I think he may be able to get lab credits for the work he's going to be doing, as well, which will be nice. But the experience he's going to get, and the go-getter image he's creating for himself certainly can't hurt, right?

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Woohoo!!

Do you know when and exactly where he's going yet.  We had a really good time in Peru...and also some interesting experiences...

Yes. He is going to the Huari-Ancash region. If you'd like a look at the place and learn more about the project, here's a link.

Here's a Wikipedia description of the town: "Huari is a small town in the Ancash Region in central Peru. It is the seat of the Huari Province. It lies on the eastern slope of the Andean mountain range known as the Cordillera Blanca. The economy of the providence is primarily agricultural, and at least half the population are engaged in subsistence horticulture, raising potatoes, sweet potatoes, other native tubers, quinoa, maize, wheat, barley, tomatoes, peppers, and some other vegetables. Many residential households also raise a few animals, including goats, sheep, pigs, occasionally cattle, guinea pigs (cuy), rabbits, chickens, and ducks. Much of the trade in this rural area is barter.
Huari is connected to the electric grid, and in 2005 some of the surrounding villages were just beginning to be connected to the grid."

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Wow!  What an opportunity for Alec.  After that he should know if he's chosen the right major/field!  Katie was a couple years into her studies before she got experience working on the space shuttles and quickly realized that it wasn't what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.  If Alec enjoys this he'll know he made the right decision and if he doesn't he has time to look at other options before he gets close to graduation.

We tried to get into the more rural areas during our trip to Peru but nothing like this!  That's the kind of travel I'd love to be able to do!!  I'd look into overseas volunteer work but Marty isn't game and with our farm and family obligations it's probably not an option anyway.

Question...how open to the living conditions and meals do you think Alec will be.  We enjoyed our meal of cuy with the locals at a roadside market but our travel companions found it outside of their comfort zone.  Does Alec speak any Spanish?  

Hope Alec enjoys the experience.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 am

nkrichards wrote:Wow!  What an opportunity for Alec.  After that he should know if he's chosen the right major/field!  Katie was a couple years into her studies before she got experience working on the space shuttles and quickly realized that it wasn't what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.  If Alec enjoys this he'll know he made the right decision and if he doesn't he has time to look at other options before he gets close to graduation.

We tried to get into the more rural areas during our trip to Peru but nothing like this!  That's the kind of travel I'd love to be able to do!!  I'd look into overseas volunteer work but Marty isn't game and with our farm and family obligations it's probably not an option anyway.

Question...how open to the living conditions and meals do you think Alec will be.  We enjoyed our meal of cuy with the locals at a roadside market but our travel companions found it outside of their comfort zone.  Does Alec speak any Spanish?  

Hope Alec enjoys the experience.

That's a really good point. There are a lot of ways to be involved in archaeology - both in the field and in the lab - and this program will give him a taste of both sides of that picture. If poking around in old graves and examining old bones and pottery shards isn't something that interests him, it's better to find out now than in a few years.

I don't know if you knew this, but I served in the Peace Corps in Thailand back in the 1980s, and so the idea of being dropped into a rural setting like Huari is something that is really appealing to me. There are options for older volunteers, btw, so who knows?

This will be well outside of his comfort zone, but he's surprised us in the past by stepping outside of his habitual choices and trying something new, so I'm hopeful. Besides, he tends to like simple foods of rice and meat, so this will probably work well. We ought to find some Peruvian restaurants in Portland, though, so we can all get a taste. We went to an Argentinian place a while back without Alec, and it was delicious.

Aw, I just looked up "cuy." Hard to eat something that cute. But we don't seem to have that problem with a lot of other animals, do we? 

Alec no habla Español, but he wants to learn. We're thinking one of those app-based language learning programs will give him some survival Spanish. 

Like...

Dos cervezas por favor.

¿ESTOY COMIENDO UN CONEJILLO DE INDIAS?!

¿Donde está el baño?

(No, I don't speak Spanish, but I can Google translate with the best of 'em.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:57 am

Today is the day! 

We both decided that we're going to walk to work today. We've tested the routes out - it's about 30 minutes for Alita, a bit longer for me - and it's not supposed to rain, so we figured we'd better get cracking! Alita is on her way to school right now, and I'll be walking to work in about 90 minutes or so. It's dark, foggy and 32° outside right now, so it's a bit more of a challenge for her than it will be for me. 

And she just arrived! Woot!

My route is 2 miles if I walk along the river the whole way, 1.8 miles if I go for a slightly less scenic route at points. 

Wish me luck! We may need to get different carrying bags for lunch, etc., to make it easier to handle while walking. But we'll see.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:24 am

Update: The walking commute was good, both ways!

Distance is just about 1.8 miles. It takes me about 32 minutes each way, which isn't bad.

It felt good, and I'm hopeful that I can turn this into a virtuous habit. It'd certainly be a good first step.

Of course, with views like these on my return trip, it's easy to want to go back. 

Trails for Two - Page 12 87052810

Trails for Two - Page 12 87292010

Trails for Two - Page 12 87033810

I'd show you the morning photos from yesterday, but it was foggy... 

Better get ready so I can do it all again today!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:52 am

What a great way to start and end your workday.  I'd be more than willing to get up a few minutes early to enjoy that time instead of the stress of driving!!

Buy a new lunch box, check your raincoat for leaks...and enjoy!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:What a great way to start and end your workday.  I'd be more than willing to get up a few minutes early to enjoy that time instead of the stress of driving!!

Buy a new lunch box, check your raincoat for leaks...and enjoy!!
And don't forget the galoshes!  Who knows?  You may see some of your night shift, Vancouver citizenry heading home or under a bridge!

I know the 610 underpass I traverse has a few openings for tents.

Keep up the walking!  Mt Hood is calling.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:48 am

Day 2 of the walking commute went well. It wasn't as foggy in the morning, so I got a nice dose of Vitamin D on the way in. It was also a lot warmer, so I ended up shedding layers as I went. Showing up for work pitted out would be poor form. 

I'm playing with routes to find the fastest/most scenic options. I went along the river a little more in the morning, got serenaded by a cranky goose standing on a piling in the river, and found that it didn't extend the time or distance enough to matter. Nice!

We have some homeless camps in our area, but none on either of our routes. 

It's 1.8 miles each way, and it's taking me about 32 minutes. That works out to 3.375 mph, or a 17:46 mile. Never going to make it as a race walker, but that's okay. I'd dislocate my hip trying. Average HR of 111-118 so far.

On the walk home, I texted Alita and said I was on my way. She headed out in my direction and we walked the last bit together. Also nice! Though she's getting more steps than me.. Suspect She did (half?) jokingly suggest me walking her to work in the morning, and I might just do that one of these days. It'd be an easy way to get more activity...

Yes, our bodies are both noticing the exercise. I'm feeling it in my glutes, mostly, though my lower legs are also reminding me of their existence. Not in a bad way, though. More in a "we're finally waking up" way. So all in all, good so far.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 am

I like the sounds of this new lifestyle...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:04 pm

nkrichards wrote:I like the sounds of this new lifestyle...

Us, too!

We successfully did the walk to work thing four days last week, and it seems to have sparked a bug to get moving.

Alita kept coming out to meet me as I walked home from work in the evening, and she also walked during lunch. I walked her to work on Friday, then went home and walked to work myself, so we're finding ways to get extra miles in.

Here's how the week worked out:

Mon: Rest day.
Tue: 3.5 miles total
Wed: 3.6 miles total
Thu: 4.9 miles total
Fri: 6.5 miles total
Sat: Rest and recovery
Sun: Not sure yet! 

So that's 18.6 miles for me, up from about 3-4 miles each of the previous two weeks. Alita had more, since she usually goes out for a mile-long walk during her lunch break, and she walks to meet me as I come home from work. (Is this making me feel a little competitive? Yup.)

The complication? It's putting us in a signifcant calorie deficit. Obviously, that's a good thing long term and one reason we're doing this , but we need to dial in our eating better. We were so hungry and cranky on Thursday that we went across the street to the local pub and inhaled a huge basket of cajun tots before diving into a rice bowl. Urp! Paid for that the next day. What a Face

We got Alita a new messenger bag to carry her stuff to and from work, which is nice, and we got her a flashing light, since she walks to work in the dark and there's a spot where she has to cross a sometimes busy road, and it'd be nice to not get teed up by a car. The briefcase I use as a glorified lunchbox has a nice shoulder strap, so I'm able to sling it onto my back without difficulty. 

We took Saturday off as a rest day. (I've got some tightness in my ankles, which shouldn't be surprising.) And it's going to be raining a bit early this week, so we'll have to figure that out.

Adjustments. They're a good thing. Better than inertia and ennui.

Oh, our coworkers think we're nuts. So that's a benefit. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Golly gee!  'Cajun tots' for a name.  I figure it's cajun seasoning on a tot.  I'm sure SOMEPLACE down here makes them, but never heard of them.  You, too, can add cajun seasoning to something in your cooking.  Maybe even in Fluff's food!

Keep up your walking and maybe your shoulder will get with the program and not whine as much.

You should carry Alita's stuff with your stuff.  Ah, like going steady all over again.

Who's going to mention running first, before it happens?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:43 am

ounce wrote:Golly gee!  'Cajun tots' for a name.  I figure it's cajun seasoning on a tot.  I'm sure SOMEPLACE down here makes them, but never heard of them.  You, too, can add cajun seasoning to something in your cooking.  Maybe even in Fluff's food!

Keep up your walking and maybe your shoulder will get with the program and not whine as much.

You should carry Alita's stuff with your stuff.  Ah, like going steady all over again.

Who's going to mention running first, before it happens?

Yup. It'd be cajun seasoning on tots. Very exotic. Laughing

Walking is going well. Just got back from walking Alita to work, then heading back. After I get ready, I'll walk to work.

Not sure if this is helping the shoulder, but that's okay. I finally see the doc about it tomorrow. It'll be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Running is on the distant horizon. We let ourselves get really out of shape. Walking is enough for now, especially since we're racking up six miles and change every weekday doing this. We need to let our bodies adapt to this. I'm seeing the start of it already: I'm noticing that my average HR for these walks is steadily dropping. Woot!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm

THAT'S what I mean about the heart adapting first and the HR dropping, as a result. Your heart is fixing to just lay back and relax until you change something in your walking.

Gratz!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 am

I can imagine what your co-workers think...I get that "you're crazy" look often.   Laughing

Glad you're enjoying the walking and making it part of your daily routine.  It will become a habit soon and you won't give it a second thought.  

And the added benefit of the time together now that you're in the empty nest phase is great!

Enjoy...I expect that we may see you running again someday in the not to distant future...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 am

ounce wrote:THAT'S what I mean about the heart adapting first and the HR dropping, as a result.  Your heart is fixing to just lay back and relax until you change something in your walking.

Gratz!

Thanks! It's nice to have observable progress to compensate for the sore ankles and feet.

nkrichards wrote:I can imagine what your co-workers think...I get that "you're crazy" look often.   Laughing

Glad you're enjoying the walking and making it part of your daily routine.  It will become a habit soon and you won't give it a second thought.  

And the added benefit of the time together now that you're in the empty nest phase is great!

Enjoy...I expect that we may see you running again someday in the not to distant future...

"Crazy" is a compliment. 

I had to drive to work yesterday because I had a doctor's appointment for my shoulder, and I missed the walk. (I'm going to get an MRI on the shoulder. It acts like a rotator cuff injury, except that it doesn't. The doctor is a bit confused. He wants to give me a cortisone shot, but I'd like to make sure something isn't torn in there before he starts jabbing me. 

Running is in the plan, just not yet. We're sore enough from just walking! I'm already up to 16 miles so far this week alone, and I'll be doing about 6.2 miles today. That's a big change from virtually nothing! We need to be careful to not overenthuse our way into an injury.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 am

We seem to be good at confusing our doctors...  scratch Hope the MRI casts some light on the cause of the shoulder issue so you can determine the best course of action.

In the meantime it's great to hear that you're continuing to walk...and enjoying it.  Good plan to be cautious about ramping up to soon.  Looks like rain this weekend so it might be conducive to a rest day or two.

Happy walking...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:37 am

nkrichards wrote:We seem to be good at confusing our doctors...  scratch Hope the MRI casts some light on the cause of the shoulder issue so you can determine the best course of action.

In the meantime it's great to hear that you're continuing to walk...and enjoying it.  Good plan to be cautious about ramping up to soon.  Looks like rain this weekend so it might be conducive to a rest day or two.

Happy walking...

I think we excel at it. It's always nice when the doc says, "Well, in 99 percent of the cases like yours, with the same causes you mentioned to me, if I twist the arm like *this*, it puts them on the ceiling. If not, then twisting it like *this* does it." Me: "Uh, well. Hm. Yeah. Nothing." 

My guess is I have a partial tear deep in a muscle that'll eventually heal on its own, but slowly. It is better than it was a month ago, but not dramatically.

Walking is going well. I had to drive to work on Wednesday, and I missed my walk to and from work. I'm up to 26 miles on the week already, and I still need to go to and from work today. We are mindful of overdong it, and we are treating Saturdays and Sundays as rest days at the moment. Not sure what's going to happen with next week's rain. It depends on when it's raining, and how much, I suppose.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:36 pm

It may end up being for us that rainy days ARE rest days.

Maybe we are a new group! Either the "Rainy Day Resters" or the "Sunny Day Runners."

Good luck on the MRI and the resting. Maybe a new shoulder joint is in your future.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 28 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 28  Next