365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running trails near Cheyenne, WY?

4 posters

Go down

Running trails near Cheyenne, WY? Empty Running trails near Cheyenne, WY?

Post  Jeff F Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 am

Does anyone know of any good running trails within a reasonable distance of Cheyenne, WY? I will be visiting family out there in a couple of weeks and want to check out the local trails. I tried researching if there was a running club in Cheyenne but it does not appear to be one because that is usually a good source for this type of information. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Running trails near Cheyenne, WY? Empty Re: Running trails near Cheyenne, WY?

Post  Diego Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm not sure about Cheyenne, but I grew up in Laramie and imagine that they would have similar foothill trails out near Little America or in other regions. I'd call the folks at Little America to ask them.

If you can drive for 30 minutes toward Laramie, Vedauwoo is awesome!

http://physics.uwyo.edu/~cassandra/Vedauwoo.htm

http://www.vedauwoo.org/hiking.htm

It's also part of the Medicine Bow National Forest, which offers better stuff than anything you'd find in Colorado(hiking, camping, climbing, fishing) where I was born.

Here's another one.

http://www.runtheplanet.com/runningroutes/city.asp?c=3534156
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Jim, I will look into those locations.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:13 am

Drive to Denver and I'll take you on some killer trails! No idea about Wyoming. I don't think I've even been there to buy fireworks Wink
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

ChasMcG wrote:Drive to Denver and I'll take you on some killer trails! No idea about Wyoming. I don't think I've even been there to buy fireworks Wink

Chas, thanks for the offer I know there are a lot of trails around Denver. I am looking for something relatively close to Cheyenne as I am visiting my daughter and her family (two grandchildren), and I don't want to take time away from the main purpose of my trip. Maybe sometime in the future.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:27 pm

jimd wrote:I'm not sure about Cheyenne, but I grew up in Laramie and imagine that they would have similar foothill trails out near Little America or in other regions. I'd call the folks at Little America to ask them.

If you can drive for 30 minutes toward Laramie, Vedauwoo is awesome!

http://physics.uwyo.edu/~cassandra/Vedauwoo.htm

http://www.vedauwoo.org/hiking.htm

It's also part of the Medicine Bow National Forest, which offers better stuff than anything you'd find in Colorado(hiking, camping, climbing, fishing) where I was born.

Here's another one.

http://www.runtheplanet.com/runningroutes/city.asp?c=3534156

I lived in Laramie from 1985-88. Vedauwoo was a great place to walk around with our dog and 3 year old! My friend is doing the Laramie Enduro mountain bike race in a few weeks--not sure where all that goes!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Just thought I would provide an update. I ran a 12 mile trail run on Sunday in the Medicine Bow National Forest. The trail head was at the Happy Jack Campground parking lot. No maps available, but met another runner at the trailhead who gave me some sketchy directions. This area had multiple trails and anyone who is directionally challenged could have easily gotten lost. Ended up doing one loop of a little over 6 miles and then an out and back on a perimeter trail. The first loop was almost all single track which I would have called mildly technical, one section was called the Haunted Forest which was pretty overgrown but still passable. The out and back was on a road and a fairly easy trail. Total elevation change for the 12 miles was probably only a couple thousand feet. When I go back to visit my family I would do this again and run more of the other trails. This appeared to be primarily a mountain biker area, but did see a handful of other runners, almost all running with dogs.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Jeff F wrote:Just thought I would provide an update. I ran a 12 mile trail run on Sunday in the Medicine Bow National Forest. The trail head was at the Happy Jack Campground parking lot. No maps available, but met another runner at the trailhead who gave me some sketchy directions. This area had multiple trails and anyone who is directionally challenged could have easily gotten lost. Ended up doing one loop of a little over 6 miles and then an out and back on a perimeter trail. The first loop was almost all single track which I would have called mildly technical, one section was called the Haunted Forest which was pretty overgrown but still passable. The out and back was on a road and a fairly easy trail. Total elevation change for the 12 miles was probably only a couple thousand feet. When I go back to visit my family I would do this again and run more of the other trails. This appeared to be primarily a mountain biker area, but did see a handful of other runners, almost all running with dogs.

I hope you had a good time. My sister and I learned how to ski at Happy Jack.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down