365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails for Two

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Trails for Two Empty Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:01 am

@ounce wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Getting old seems to be Quite b*tch these days!  Take better care of yourself - ok?

Ha! Thanks, Michele, but I think all this proves is I'm the same old klutz I used to be. 
Well, soft of a klutz. I can scramble up mountains and along cliffsides, but put me in a "normal" environment, and I'm doomed. Doomed, I say! affraid

The toe's getting better every day, and I can *almost* walk without favoring my big toe. Progress!
LOL  Why am I not surprised?

Hope the toe is continuing to improve.  Am I wrong in assuming that your ultra may be postponed?
You kids are so funny.   Laughing
@Mark B wrote:Toe is continuing to improve, thanks! It's still multicolored and sore, but not nearly as much as it was a week ago, thank goodness. I can pretty much walk normally on it now, though not for great distances. The toenail looks fine, so there's a bullet dodged. Whew!

Ultra? Yeah. Well... we're still talking about Elijah Bristow in June, but we're going to figure out how to get ready for it with our schedules if we have a prayer of making it work.
I guess amputation wasn't an option?

I hope you've retained all those anti-bodies.  I hear newsrooms have bugs, listening devices, and REPUBLICANS...even in the Couv!  I hope you stay healthy.  The Cougs are depending on it!

Any new ideas on Anita's increased hearing?

Annd.... I'm back on antibiotics again! Woot! The sinus infection came roaring back about a week ago, and I'll be VERY happy if this flavor of antibiotics finally knocks it out. This is nuts.

On the upside, the toe is much better now. There's still a prominent little bruise right where the pointy ended toe guard (who makes toe guards come to points?) drilled into the tip of my toe. But the rest of the toe looks normal now. It's still a little tender, but not horribly so. And I'm now MUCH more attentive around curbs.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:02 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Getting old seems to be Quite b*tch these days!  Take better care of yourself - ok?

Ha! Thanks, Michele, but I think all this proves is I'm the same old klutz I used to be. 
Well, soft of a klutz. I can scramble up mountains and along cliffsides, but put me in a "normal" environment, and I'm doomed. Doomed, I say! affraid

The toe's getting better every day, and I can *almost* walk without favoring my big toe. Progress!
LOL  Why am I not surprised?

Hope the toe is continuing to improve.  Am I wrong in assuming that your ultra may be postponed?
You kids are so funny.   Laughing
@Mark B wrote:Toe is continuing to improve, thanks! It's still multicolored and sore, but not nearly as much as it was a week ago, thank goodness. I can pretty much walk normally on it now, though not for great distances. The toenail looks fine, so there's a bullet dodged. Whew!

Ultra? Yeah. Well... we're still talking about Elijah Bristow in June, but we're going to figure out how to get ready for it with our schedules if we have a prayer of making it work.
I guess amputation wasn't an option?

I hope you've retained all those anti-bodies.  I hear newsrooms have bugs, listening devices, and REPUBLICANS...even in the Couv!  I hope you stay healthy.  The Cougs are depending on it!

Any new ideas on Anita's increased hearing?

Annd.... I'm back on antibiotics again! Woot! The sinus infection came roaring back about a week ago, and I'll be VERY happy if this flavor of antibiotics finally knocks it out. This is nuts.

On the upside, the toe is much better now. There's still a prominent little bruise right where the pointy ended toe guard (who makes toe guards come to points?) drilled into the tip of my toe. But the rest of the toe looks normal now. It's still a little tender, but not horribly so. And I'm now MUCH more attentive around curbs.
Guess you didn't retain any of the anti-bodies from winning your first battle against the infection.   No

Hope this round of drugs eradicates that sucker.  Good luck with that.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:57 pm

Hey there, Sicko!  

Stick out your tongue.   
tongue
No   Hmmm.  Not good.
Any trouble when you stand up quickly?
pale
Yeah.  That's what I figured.  Nausea?
silent
Fever?
Embarassed Embarassed
I guess you've missed some work.  How are they handling your absence?
Mad
Do they believe you're sick?
Suspect
I don't believe you're sick.
Shocked
Not really.   Wink
Rolling Eyes
Now, now, just checking to see if your sense of humor is there or not.
confused
How do you feel about the length of your sickness?
Money

What do you want to do?
Shots
Nah, that's not ethical.
lol!
How does your family feel about your sickness?
Very Happy
What is their prognosis for you?
clown
I guess you don't like that much?
Crying or Very sad
Tired of being sick? 
Exclamation
How do you feel about blood letting or leeches? 
cyclops
Well, all I can say is why did you come to your dentist for a sinus infection?


Merry Christmas.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2628
Points : 9178
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 61
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:45 pm

@ounce wrote:Hey there, Sicko!  

Stick out your tongue.   
tongue
No   Hmmm.  Not good.
Any trouble when you stand up quickly?
pale
Yeah.  That's what I figured.  Nausea?
silent
Fever?
Embarassed Embarassed
I guess you've missed some work.  How are they handling your absence?
Mad
Do they believe you're sick?
Suspect
I don't believe you're sick.
Shocked
Not really.   Wink
Rolling Eyes
Now, now, just checking to see if your sense of humor is there or not.
confused
How do you feel about the length of your sickness?
Money

What do you want to do?
Shots
Nah, that's not ethical.
lol!
How does your family feel about your sickness?
Very Happy
What is their prognosis for you?
clown
I guess you don't like that much?
Crying or Very sad
Tired of being sick? 
Exclamation
How do you feel about blood letting or leeches? 
cyclops
Well, all I can say is why did you come to your dentist for a sinus infection?


Merry Christmas.

Laughing

Nicely done, Ounce. And if this comes back after a second round of antibiotics, I might be willing to give leeches a try.

Merry Christmas! Hope Santa was good to you! 


@nkrichards wrote:Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year!

Thanks, Nancy!

I'm hoping the second round of antibiotics has given those sinus critters the eviction notice. So far so good! And to make it even better, I was able to take a few pain-free running steps the other day. The toe damage is nearly healed up! Thank goodness. I'm hopeful that 2019 will be a much healthier year for all of us.

Hope your Christmas was happy and that your family is well.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Yeah, Mark, you need a 'healthy' New Year and a son feverishly looking for scholarships replete with boo-coodles of 'community service.'

Oh, two questions, sir.

1.  How's the next step on wifey's hearing coming along?
2.  Being the editor of a major metropolitan newspaper, do you get to go on Editor association trips to hob knob and otherwise network?

Happy New Year to your tribe and maybe even Fluff.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am

@ounce wrote:Yeah, Mark, you need a 'healthy' New Year and a son feverishly looking for scholarships replete with boo-coodles of 'community service.'

Oh, two questions, sir.

1.  How's the next step on wifey's hearing coming along?
2.  Being the editor of a major metropolitan newspaper, do you get to go on Editor association trips to hob knob and otherwise network?

Happy New Year to your tribe and maybe even Fluff.

Healthy is good, Ounce. Definitely.

We did go for a nice hike over in our local forest on New Year's Day - even brought the kid - and I'm trying to get back to walking at lunch again. It's a good thing, even to make sure I don't outgrow my clothes. These past few months have been rough on my waistline! 

Questions, answers:

1) No progress on hearing. We'll eventually need to get a second opinion and then figure out how we're going to pay for a hearing aid.
2) The editor gets to go, but I'm the metro editor, the second banana, so I stay at home.

Here's to finding good scholarships in the new year. Money

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Try Costco for hearing aids.  A friend of mine got hers there as they had the best pricing, and she loves them.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4948
Points : 12535
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 58
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Well, keep at it #1 and may the Schwartz be with you.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:45 pm

O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 am

@ounce wrote:O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
bump. Crying or Very sad
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:14 pm

@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
bump. Crying or Very sad
Bump.
Sleep

LE BUMP
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:02 pm

@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
bump. Crying or Very sad
Bump.
Sleep

LE BUMP
silent Crying or Very sad Sleep
Le bump bump
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 pm

@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
bump. Crying or Very sad
Bump.
Sleep

LE BUMP
silent Crying or Very sad Sleep
Le bump bump
Not as critical for an answer, now.
Informational from here forward.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 am

@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
bump. Crying or Very sad
Bump.
Sleep

LE BUMP
silent Crying or Very sad Sleep
Le bump bump
Not as critical for an answer, now.
Informational from here forward.  Thanks.

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Eh!? Hnnmmhh? 

Wait. What day is it? I had the weirdest dream... something about tongues freezing to sleds in the middle of a blizzard? Hm. Weird

Pro tip: In cold weather, KEEP YOUR TONGUE INSIDE YOUR MOUTH. silent

(If you want a serious answer, just in case you were serious, which is hard to tell sometimes, I think I tend to breathe more through my nose, especially when it's cold. I keep my mouth mostly closed, and breathe through my teeth slightly parted and my tongue probably touching my bottom teeth. I feel some air passing over my lips, but most of the work is done by the old schnozolla. If it's cold and I'm sucking wind by going hard up a hill or something, I think the exhaled air is warm enough to keep my tongue nice and toasty.)

Never really thought of that before. Thanks for guiding me on this journey of exploration. Shocked

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:34 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Try Costco for hearing aids.  A friend of mine got hers there as they had the best pricing, and she loves them.

The doctor who did the (failed) surgery on Alita's ear suggested Costco, as well. In fact, they were about the ONLY place she suggested. Doesn't trust the rest of them one bit. Interesting, and scary for the folks who need that sort of help.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:O, Experienced One.

One of the long runs that went well had me huffing in 40's weather.  My tongue was getting cold, which didn't feel good.  Where do y'all place your tongue on a cold day?  I was trying to bury it below lower teeth level, which worked, but was odd.  Thanks.


Much obliged.
bump. Crying or Very sad
Bump.
Sleep

LE BUMP
silent Crying or Very sad Sleep
Le bump bump
Not as critical for an answer, now.
Informational from here forward.  Thanks.

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Eh!? Hnnmmhh? 

Wait. What day is it? I had the weirdest dream... something about tongues freezing to sleds in the middle of a blizzard? Hm. Weird

Pro tip: In cold weather, KEEP YOUR TONGUE INSIDE YOUR MOUTH. silent

(If you want a serious answer, just in case you were serious, which is hard to tell sometimes, I think I tend to breathe more through my nose, especially when it's cold. I keep my mouth mostly closed, and breathe through my teeth slightly parted and my tongue probably touching my bottom teeth. I feel some air passing over my lips, but most of the work is done by the old schnozolla. If it's cold and I'm sucking wind by going hard up a hill or something, I think the exhaled air is warm enough to keep my tongue nice and toasty.)

Never really thought of that before. Thanks for guiding me on this journey of exploration. Shocked
No, it was a legitimate question, especially when early last week the forecast was showing mid-teens wind chill.  Hence, the multiple bumps.

My nasal passages are not wide open enough to keep my mouth shut.  Only if I'm plodding will that work.

Next time, I'll make it more obvious that it's a legit question.  (Oh, what will I do for THAT! Question)  Much obliged.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am

You could either add ExclamationExclamationExclamation, or I could just continue to play the straight man to your usual hilarity. 

Been pretty distracted lately. We have a kid struggling with a combination of ADHD and senioritis that made this first term of his senior year a bit of an ordeal (and a costly one, since he's probably going to lose a scholarship because of it), and Alita's union was at loggerheads with the district after months of contract negotiations. They finally got a deal after voting to strike. And my boss (and his boss) have been gone for the past couple of weeks, so I'm kind of the lead inmate at the asylum lately.  Whee... I've been dosing with caffeine and chocolate to stay focused, and I don't often have the time to head out for a walk at lunchtime, so you can imagine how that's going. 

Anyway, boss is back on Friday, the wife has a contract (with a check for a retroactive raise coming) and the term is almost over! We're almost through this rough patch and moving forward. Onward!

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 pm

@Mark B wrote:You could either add ExclamationExclamationExclamation, or I could just continue to play the straight man to your usual hilarity. 

Been pretty distracted lately. We have a kid struggling with a combination of ADHD and senioritis that made this first term of his senior year a bit of an ordeal (and a costly one, since he's probably going to lose a scholarship because of it), and Alita's union was at loggerheads with the district after months of contract negotiations. They finally got a deal after voting to strike. And my boss (and his boss) have been gone for the past couple of weeks, so I'm kind of the lead inmate at the asylum lately.  Whee... I've been dosing with caffeine and chocolate to stay focused, and I don't often have the time to head out for a walk at lunchtime, so you can imagine how that's going. 

Anyway, boss is back on Friday, the wife has a contract (with a check for a retroactive raise coming) and the term is almost over! We're almost through this rough patch and moving forward. Onward!
Well, I was trying to butter you up by calling you "O, experienced one."

A son of a nephew had senioritis his junior year, so it could be worse.  It can ALWAYS be worse.  I don't imagine the young lad has lifted much concern about the loss of scholarship.

So now, Alita is more valuable to keep around the house!  Woohoo!  Will she get free tickets to the premiere of the movie by the same name?  

Hope you get back on track once the chiefs get back.  March on, junior XO.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm

So, is the latest batch of snow enough to close schools?  Have the stores re-stocked their bacon supplies?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 am

@ounce wrote:So, is the latest batch of snow enough to close schools?  Have the stores re-stocked their bacon supplies?

Some schools closed, but not ours. The snow system dropped only an inch where we live, but a few miles away, it was about four inches and about 15 miles away, it was 8 inches. There are lots of different microclimates in the greater Portland/Vancouver metro area. 

To the north, they got clobbered, because the cold air stayed around. To the east, in the Columbia River Gorge, they got REALLY clobbered (30 inches and counting) since they were still cold when a potent plume of moisture came ashore Monday night. We didn't get any snow out of that, but there was some minor stream flooding and some very soggy lawns. 

In all of this, I noticed our big quaking aspen was developing a bit of a lean, and the soil around the base was disturbed. Called an arborist who took one look at it and said it needed to come out. He then gave me an eye-poppingly large estimate for removal, so I started getting other bids. The second guy also immediately said the tree had to come out, but his bid was about 1/3 the amount of the first guy. Interesting how that works. I have a couple of other services coming over, so I'm intrigued to see what they'll come in at.

And yes, our bacon supplies are safely replenished. The crisis has passed.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Is that Aspen a threat to the house?  Any additional trees to cut, at least down here, are at a much, much lower cost because they get all their costs in on the first tree.

Have the areas that need rain for the Summer received a goodly sum, this Winter?

Any security camera footage of Fluff messing with the tree?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 am

Yes, it is a threat to the house, or the fence, or the neighbor's gazebo, or a different neighbor's freestanding patio cover, depending on which way it might come down. If it got the house, one arborist told me, the large number of smaller branches would probably take off a gutter but probably not do any structural damage. It's not like it'd be a 100-foot Douglas fir coming down and slicing the house in half. I've seen that before, and I tell ya, it's a sight to behold.

As far as I know, Fluff has not been outside to mess with the tree. Though he does watch out that window a lot...  Hm.

We have received a goodly sum of rain, and snow in some areas, which will help our situation but not resolve our overall drought situation. We were low last year and all this rainy season up until now, really, so there's a lot of catching up to do.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 pm

@Mark B wrote:Yes, it is a threat to the house, or the fence, or the neighbor's gazebo, or a different neighbor's freestanding patio cover, depending on which way it might come down. If it got the house, one arborist told me, the large number of smaller branches would probably take off a gutter but probably not do any structural damage. It's not like it'd be a 100-foot Douglas fir coming down and slicing the house in half. I've seen that before, and I tell ya, it's a sight to behold.

As far as I know, Fluff has not been outside to mess with the tree. Though he does watch out that window a lot...  Hm.

We have received a goodly sum of rain, and snow in some areas, which will help our situation but not resolve our overall drought situation. We were low last year and all this rainy season up until now, really, so there's a lot of catching up to do.
Fluff is testing his mind in the power of persuasion.  Notice any new books around the house?

Have you thought of a replacement species of tree?

Does rain have to fall in a certain location to lessen the drought, besides general rain for the lawns?  You could have 8 inches of rain, but with a lot of runoff, it helps the count for the year, but not necessarily benefiting the area.

Is the Klark Kounty KKK still traveling across the river to have get togethers with their collegues in downtown Portland for the nightlife to continue?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5683
Points : 15987
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 am

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Yes, it is a threat to the house, or the fence, or the neighbor's gazebo, or a different neighbor's freestanding patio cover, depending on which way it might come down. If it got the house, one arborist told me, the large number of smaller branches would probably take off a gutter but probably not do any structural damage. It's not like it'd be a 100-foot Douglas fir coming down and slicing the house in half. I've seen that before, and I tell ya, it's a sight to behold.

As far as I know, Fluff has not been outside to mess with the tree. Though he does watch out that window a lot...  Hm.

We have received a goodly sum of rain, and snow in some areas, which will help our situation but not resolve our overall drought situation. We were low last year and all this rainy season up until now, really, so there's a lot of catching up to do.
Fluff is testing his mind in the power of persuasion.  Notice any new books around the house?

Have you thought of a replacement species of tree?

Does rain have to fall in a certain location to lessen the drought, besides general rain for the lawns?  You could have 8 inches of rain, but with a lot of runoff, it helps the count for the year, but not necessarily benefiting the area.

Is the Klark Kounty KKK still traveling across the river to have get togethers with their collegues in downtown Portland for the nightlife to continue?

Kind of complicated, actually. We need to get consistent rain at lower elevations during our rainy season (October through May) and a dense, deep snowpack at higher elevations. The snowpack melts slowly into the summer, which provides a lot of much needed runoff for agriculture and fisheries, while adding moisture to the heavy fuels in the forests. The best rains come here like a giant soaker hose - when it rains all day and drops maybe a quarter to a third of an inch, but repeats it for a days. We have some reservoirs here, but they're more for hydroelectric power and flood control than irrigation. The snowpack is our secret reservoir.

We aren't sure about replacement trees. We have a hinoki cypress on the other side of our water feature, and it might be nice to bookend them, or maybe a flowering dogwood, or something with some fall color. We'll see.

No new books around, but maybe Fluff has gained access to the computer.

The local group you reference is still around and annoying a lot of people. There was news today out of Portland that the leader of the group was exchanging very chummy text messages with the cops who seemed to leave their group alone while tear gassing the antifa folk. Go figure. Suspect

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7760
Points : 17563
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Trails for Two Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum