365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails for Two

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 11 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:28 pm

No @ cyclops clown 
pirat tongue silent pale
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Thump, thump, thump. Seems solid. See the water stain on the ceiling? Yeah, they had cats.

Well, let's see what we can do with it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:49 am

It's useless Doug.  It's been windy and stormy in Mark's neck of the woods.  I'm sure he went out for a walk at lunch time and was blown off the bridge into the Columbia River never to be seen again... Sad
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 pm

@nkrichards wrote:It's useless Doug.  It's been windy and stormy in Mark's neck of the woods.  I'm sure he went out for a walk at lunch time and was blown off the bridge into the Columbia River never to be seen again... Sad
But nothing in the Columbia would eat him. pale   They'd throw him back and a troop of Girl Scouts would find him and figure out what merit badges they can score on what procedures they have in their little book. 

No, no. He's not gone yet.  There's nowhere the WSU band would march, since there's no more football games until Fall.  So, his weekends aren't spent driving there and back.  And he still has boxes to unload and play in. Suspect 

He won't miss us until his pants are just about too small to button.  Then, he'll come crawling back here, asking for forgiveness and never claim that HR training and running barefoot are the bee's knees.

But when he gets back...POW!  To the moon, Alice.  To the moon.

Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:15 pm

I know why Mark is no longer around. He's taken up wheelchair marathons, but he hasn't found a parking spot for it yet.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 am

Mark must've turned off the 'notifications of a posting' for this thread.

We need to get him back to being part of the collective.

Trails for Two - Page 11 2Q==
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Resistance is futile.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Z
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:54 am

HE'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE or his account was hacked.
Any bets on what date he will post next?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am

@ounce wrote:HE'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE or his account was hacked.

I've got 5 cents that he posts again today.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:46 am

Ha! Pay up.

---

Wow, I haven't posted since Christmas, and that was only a quick greeting? Yipes. And how long had it been for a real post before that? Yipes again.

All I can say in my defense is ... holy cow. What a couple of months.

I don't even know where to start.

As of last night, I think we can safely say we have completed our move. I say that because the moving company guy finally finished repairing the damage his guys did to the handrail in our stairway on moving day. It took a while for them to get around to patching the drywall, texturing, painting and reattaching a new rail bracket. But it's done. The move is complete.

He did the work shortly after we wrapped up painting the entire condo. Actually, we had a guy come in and do it, but we still had to move all the furniture out of the way and decamp to a hotel for four nights so Fluff wouldn't decide to help him paint the walls, carpet, ceiling, etc.... That got finished late last week. That work started the day after we took Alec back to college, after a month of having him around, throwing whatever new routines we had been trying to create while he was away at school into total disarray.

All this has been going on as my newspaper has had to deal with a budget crisis requiring layoffs and reorganization (and the loss of one day of publication) AND the unexpected unionization of our nonmanagement newsroom workforce, which has complicated things tremendously. Suffice it to say that my job has gotten a lot more involved lately.

On top of that, all that furniture moving, box stacking, excess furniture sales and/or giveaways ended up giving me a dandy case of tendonitis in the supraspinatus muscle in my left shoulder. Yup. Rotator cuff injury. Gah. I've been doing PT for three weeks now with little improvement. It doesn't help that I keep having to move big, heavy, awkward things by myself, but once the broken closet door comes back from the shop and I get it rehung, that ought to be it for a while. I hope. At least I was able to get the garage cleared out/organized to the point to where we can park both cars in it now. That's a major accomplishment.

There are still a few things to do, but I think we're now settled in to our new place, which we love, and with just the two of us here now, we can begin to think about the next steps. We're really looking forward to that. (We're also looking forward to it stopping raining one of these days, which would help get us out the door more. It's been raining pretty much since the day we moved.)

That's it for now. I need to do my PT work, since I've been negligent and I have a video appointment with my PT tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to be in trouble....

More later. Maybe even photos. Promise!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:02 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:HE'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE or his account was hacked.

I've got 5 cents that he posts again today.
Pish posh.  Not gonna happen. 
@Mark B wrote:Ha! Pay up.

---

Wow, I haven't posted since Christmas, and that was only a quick greeting? Yipes. And how long had it been for a real post before that? Yipes again.

All I can say in my defense is ... holy cow. What a couple of months.

I don't even know where to start.

As of last night, I think we can safely say we have completed our move. I say that because the moving company guy finally finished repairing the damage his guys did to the handrail in our stairway on moving day. It took a while for them to get around to patching the drywall, texturing, painting and reattaching a new rail bracket. But it's done. The move is complete.

He did the work shortly after we wrapped up painting the entire condo. Actually, we had a guy come in and do it, but we still had to move all the furniture out of the way and decamp to a hotel for four nights so Fluff wouldn't decide to help him paint the walls, carpet, ceiling, etc.... That got finished late last week. That work started the day after we took Alec back to college, after a month of having him around, throwing whatever new routines we had been trying to create while he was away at school into total disarray.

All this has been going on as my newspaper has had to deal with a budget crisis requiring layoffs and reorganization (and the loss of one day of publication) AND the unexpected unionization of our nonmanagement newsroom workforce, which has complicated things tremendously. Suffice it to say that my job has gotten a lot more involved lately.

On top of that, all that furniture moving, box stacking, excess furniture sales and/or giveaways ended up giving me a dandy case of tendonitis in the supraspinatus muscle in my left shoulder. Yup. Rotator cuff injury. Gah. I've been doing PT for three weeks now with little improvement. It doesn't help that I keep having to move big, heavy, awkward things by myself, but once the broken closet door comes back from the shop and I get it rehung, that ought to be it for a while. I hope. At least I was able to get the garage cleared out/organized to the point to where we can park both cars in it now. That's a major accomplishment.

There are still a few things to do, but I think we're now settled in to our new place, which we love, and with just the two of us here now, we can begin to think about the next steps. We're really looking forward to that. (We're also looking forward to it stopping raining one of these days, which would help get us out the door more. It's been raining pretty much since the day we moved.)

That's it for now. I need to do my PT work, since I've been negligent and I have a video appointment with my PT tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to be in trouble....

More later. Maybe even photos. Promise!

affraid
It HAPPENED!  Whoa, duuuuude.  Check's in the mail!

Missing a day of publication.  THAT'S a BIG deal.  I guess your new unionized bunch thinks that'll save their jobs or provide somewhat of a cushion.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

When you posted that story on FB about the Orlando? paper (I didn't read the link), I figured your paper was not in a good position.  Whelp.  Hang in there and look around.

At least you have a new pad for you and your old lady.

Pictures????  You lie!

Well, this is a conditional WELCOME BACK!  Get back to work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:38 am

Nice to see you again Mark.  

Sounds like you really have had some legitimate excuses.  Moving is tough especially when you don't do it often.  Glad to hear that you like the new place and that you are getting most of the glitches ironed out.  I'm sure you're looking forward to getting back into a good routine.  You've had some big changes in a very short time.  An empty nest and a move!  Lots of adjusting to do I'm sure.

Hope the issues at work resolve themselves in a satisfactory manner.  We're adjusting to the change in ownership at the Bend Bulletin.  The paper is definitely smaller.  And it goes to press earlier so some of the sporting results are delayed until the next day.  We continue to subscribe to both the Bend Bulletin and the Madras Pioneer.  I just like reading a real paper.  (I also still read real books.)  I know a lot of people that have gone completely electronic. 

Take care of that shoulder...

See you again soon I hope.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 am

@ounce wrote:
affraid
It HAPPENED!  Whoa, duuuuude.  Check's in the mail!

Missing a day of publication.  THAT'S a BIG deal.  I guess your new unionized bunch thinks that'll save their jobs or provide somewhat of a cushion.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

When you posted that story on FB about the Orlando? paper (I didn't read the link), I figured your paper was not in a good position.  Whelp.  Hang in there and look around.

At least you have a new pad for you and your old lady.

Pictures????  You lie!

Well, this is a conditional WELCOME BACK!  Get back to work.

Yeah, losing a day of publication was not good. Having the staff decide to unionize just as we were about to announce those changes (we've had layoffs, too) has complicated things quite a bit. Never a dull moment, I guess...

The new pad is great. And less expensive, which is very nice, too. Photos... eventually.

@nkrichards wrote:Nice to see you again Mark.  

Sounds like you really have had some legitimate excuses.  Moving is tough especially when you don't do it often.  Glad to hear that you like the new place and that you are getting most of the glitches ironed out.  I'm sure you're looking forward to getting back into a good routine.  You've had some big changes in a very short time.  An empty nest and a move!  Lots of adjusting to do I'm sure.

Hope the issues at work resolve themselves in a satisfactory manner.  We're adjusting to the change in ownership at the Bend Bulletin.  The paper is definitely smaller.  And it goes to press earlier so some of the sporting results are delayed until the next day.  We continue to subscribe to both the Bend Bulletin and the Madras Pioneer.  I just like reading a real paper.  (I also still read real books.)  I know a lot of people that have gone completely electronic. 

Take care of that shoulder...

See you again soon I hope.

Thank you for subscribing! It makes a huge difference. As newspaper circulations fall, advertisers feel like they're getting less and less bang for the buck, so they cut back or drop altogether. That reduces revenue, which leads to cuts, which leads to a lesser product, which drives some readers away, which lowers circulation further and the whole cycle starts all over again. It's the sort of thing that can become a death spiral, unless something happens to change the dynamic. We've been looking for that "something" for years, with limited success. All we can do is hope that at least some people will still want access to independent local news and information, and enough of them want it before it's too late.

The shoulder is aggravating, but I've got a bunch of PT exercises to do. Yay!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Keep up the editing and the operations management.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 pm

So I guess Oregon is a union state?   Never would have guessed that.  Here is the south the only union we have that is intact (at this point anyway) is the Electrical Worker's Union and that's about it.  No teacher's union, no autoworkers, no textile (anymore), etc., etc.   Sounds like it has been super busy couple of months.  Hang in there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:So I guess Oregon is a union state?   Never would have guessed that.  Here is the south the only union we have that is intact (at this point anyway) is the Electrical Worker's Union and that's about it.  No teacher's union, no autoworkers, no textile (anymore), etc., etc.   Sounds like it has been super busy couple of months.  Hang in there.

Neither Oregon nor Washington are "right to work" states (see a list of those states here), and they have pretty strong public sector unions. There were widespread teacher union strikes and threats of strikes by classified employees in Washington that yielded pretty significant wage increases (the Legislature had already provided the funds but directed districts and their employees to "negotiate" for how they'd be spent - you can imagine how well that went). We still have some private sector unions around here, holdouts from the big wood products industry unions, as well as longshoremen for the ports and aerospace workers up around Seattle.

The newspaper guild isn't a new thing, but it had been concentrated on larger papers in bigger cities, generally. There has been a movement toward unionization in newsrooms nationwide, however, as a defense by employees in the face of budget cuts brought about by declining circulation and revenues and the acquisition of many newspapers by hedge funds that seem intent on squeezing the last penny out of the industry before dumping the shriveled remains and selling off the real estate. Whether the movement has any impact on the survival of our industry remains to be seen. It's definitely garnering a lot more dues revenue for the union, though...

Our newspaper has been owned and operated by the same family for nearly 100 years, so a lot of what I just said doesn't apply to us, though the larger pressures of revenues and circulation are very real for us, too. We'll see how it all turns out.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:46 am

Okay, I promised photos of our new place, and by gosh, I'm going to keep that promise.

Here are some views from around the place.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5512

The main living space is open concept, but it's divided up nicely, so our living room area has a nice cozy feel to it.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5510

Previous owners had upgraded the kitchen, which we like quite a lot. Irony alert: We'd never really wanted granite, but we got it anyway.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5610

We had planned to get a more modern (read: Ikea) table for our dining space, but the old refectory table wouldn't fit in Alec's room as a computer desk, so we put it to use as it was originally intended - for eating and living. Go figure. Looks nice with the china cabinet.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5810

Both cars fit! It took a lot of work and a lot of selling and giving away stuff, but we got it done. We have to juggle the cars every day to accommodate our schedules, but it's totally worth it.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5911

Our master bedroom, recently repainted. It's the first place we've had in years that didn't have an unnecessarily large master "suite," and we've decided that we like this cozier alternative much better.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5910

Another view, showing off the paint job.

Trails for Two - Page 11 Img_5710

The cats seem to like this place a lot. Both Fluff and Callie like watching the world go by from their perch. We're already one floor up, so it's a nice view. Kind of like our own grown-up treehouse. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:14 am

Nice place!  I like the china cabinet and the dining room table.  

Have you had a chance to check out any of the run/walk options that are close by yet?  It hasn't been the nicest weather to start back up...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:03 pm

Any chance of busting through the wall on the front side of the Prius?

How's the Boy Wonder doing at WSU?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 am

@nkrichards wrote:Nice place!  I like the china cabinet and the dining room table.  

Have you had a chance to check out any of the run/walk options that are close by yet?  It hasn't been the nicest weather to start back up...

The table and china cabinet were a nice piece of serendipity. We'd planned to put the table in another room -- but it wouldn't fit through the door. So I had the moving guys put the table over by the china cabinet, since it had to go someplace and I didn't want them to haul it downstairs while we were figuring out what to do with it, when ... "Oh. Wait."

Sometimes, it's right in front of you and you don't see it until something shifts and suddenly you see it was there all along.

@ounce wrote:Any chance of busting through the wall on the front side of the Prius?

How's the Boy Wonder doing at WSU?

If the accelerator stuck, I suppose I could bash through two layers of boxes and the exterior wall and end up on the sidewalk on the other side of the building, yes. That'd really please the homeowner's association, I'm sure.

Boy Wonder is doing fine at WSU. He's started his second term, got his front tooth fixed at a dentist there (he broke it slipping on ice), which was a major adulting step, and he's going to apply for a summer field school program in Peru to where he'd be learning bioarchaeology best practices in a part of the world that has long fascinated him. So that'd be very cool. We're crossing our fingers.

On a personal note, my stupid #$@! shoulder isn't much better, despite lots of PT exercises. I'm not sure what I did to it (combination of overuse and a strain/sprain is my best guess), but geez, I wish it'd heal up. It's annoying.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:08 pm

@Mark B wrote:On a personal note, my stupid #$@! shoulder isn't much better, despite lots of PT exercises. I'm not sure what I did to it (combination of overuse and a strain/sprain is my best guess), but geez, I wish it'd heal up. It's annoying.
It's called old age Mark...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:On a personal note, my stupid #$@! shoulder isn't much better, despite lots of PT exercises. I'm not sure what I did to it (combination of overuse and a strain/sprain is my best guess), but geez, I wish it'd heal up. It's annoying.

Pfft. I'm perfectly capable of screwing up my body on my own without having to blame it on how many laps I've taken around the sun.

Anyway... I can actually report something that looks like physical activity today.

Walk: Along the Columbia River with Alita. 4.36 miles.

Nice weather and motivation finally intersected for us on Sunday afternoon, and we headed out to test out what I guess I'll call the end-to-end route of the waterfront promenade (known locally as the Columbia River Renaissance Trail) that's so conveniently located to where we live. We started near the eastern end of the trail, walked to the eastern end, where it dead-ends into the former World War II Kaiser Shipyards, turned an about face, and walked to the other end of the trail, in the fancy new Vancouver Waterfront Park. Then we turned around again and headed back. The whole loop is about 4.35 miles, which is a good distance.

It's possible to extend this route by going around the old shipyard site (which is still being used by steel fabricators and an actual shipbuilder) and hooking up with a park on the other side. That'll be an exploration for another time.

The weather was sunny and a little chilly, but nice. Strava says we averaged a 16:10 pace walking, and my HR average was 111 bpm.

Not bad as a start. We just need to start repeating it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:52 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:

Pfft.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing up my body on my own without having to blame it on how many laps I've taken around the sun.

Anyway... I can actually report something that looks like physical activity today.

Walk: Along the Columbia River with Alita. 4.36 miles.

Nice weather and motivation finally intersected for us on Sunday afternoon, and we headed out to test out what I guess I'll call the end-to-end route of the waterfront promenade (known locally as the Columbia River Renaissance Trail) that's so conveniently located to where we live. We started near the eastern end of the trail, walked to the eastern end, where it dead-ends into the former World War II Kaiser Shipyards, turned an about face, and walked to the other end of the trail, in the fancy new Vancouver Waterfront Park. Then we turned around again and headed back. The whole loop is about 4.35 miles, which is a good distance.

It's possible to extend this route by going around the old shipyard site (which is still being used by steel fabricators and an actual shipbuilder) and hooking up with a park on the other side. That'll be an exploration for another time.

The weather was sunny and a little chilly, but nice. Strava says we averaged a 16:10 pace walking, and my HR average was 111 bpm.

Not bad as a start. We just need to start repeating it.

Yeah but it's always nice to have an excuse available...and old age is a convenient one.

Sounds like a nice walking/running option.  I love being able to step out the door and not drive!  Is the surface conducive to barefoot running when you're ready for that?

Nice to hear that you...and Alita...got in some activity!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 pm

Imagine the shock from the cardio-thoracic region when his heartbeat topped 100.  affraid affraid confused confused confused pale pale pale pale
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum