365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Think I'll Go To Boston...

+8
Julie
Tom H
Mark B
Nick Morris
ounce
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 5 Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Mark B wrote:Faster is good. Faster on hills is better.

Keep it up!

Enjoy your snow run tomorrow! (Yes, I know. It's not a fun novelty for you. But still.)

Thanks! Btw, I would trade my snowy run for your foggy run any day.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 5 Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Well, we got lucky with this snowstorm. Most of the precipitation went south of us. We only got less than a 1/4 of an inch of snow. Just enough to cover the sidewalks and bike trail. Footing wasn't an issue with my hybrid trail shoes. The worst part of the run was the 20 mph headwind that I had to run through for the first half of my run. The wind also made for a warmer run home on the out and back. I tallied 10.40 miles today. A great way to end a step back week.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Wind.  Bleh.  Although I guess maybe good for Boston training, since it's kind of like hill training in disguise?  

Lucky that the snow missed you - looks like NY/Boston is going to get hammered with it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Wind.  Bleh.  Although I guess maybe good for Boston training, since it's kind of like hill training in disguise?  

Lucky that the snow missed you - looks like NY/Boston is going to get hammered with it.

Yeah, headwinds are never fun, especially when they are freezing cold. The snow missed us yesterday, but it looks like we are going to get close to an inch today Sad
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Guess what?!?!  The snow has stopped and we only got a little less than 1/2 an inch Smile  Makes me feel better, especially since yesterday they were calling for 1-3 inches of snow.  With the next couple of days in the middle 30s, hopefully it will be melted before it turns colder on Saturday.  So, with the fresh layer of snow and an evening appointment scheduled, I was sentenced to 4 miles on the treadmill at work over lunch.  I used the indoor running feature on my 920 to see how well it worked.  Let's just say that it didn't match up well with what the treadmill stated.  For starters, I lost 1/2 a mile on distance and the pace was 45 seconds slower than the treadmill setting.  I am not sure if this will get better as I get more runs outside or not.  I know that it needs to learn my cadence and paces and will adjust metrics, so hopefully it will get better.  If not, it is not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to count on if I were to run on an indoor track.

One other thing...Normally Mondays are recovery runs due to the higher mileage that I am putting in on Saturdays and Sundays, but with this training cycle I have implemented a 4 mile run on the Mondays following a stepback week.

Lastly...12 weeks until Boston Shocked
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Scheduled off day for me...With all of the snow hitting the Northeast, this is one of the very few times that I am glad that I live in the Midwest.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Nick Morris wrote: I used the indoor running feature on my 920 to see how well it worked.  Let's just say that it didn't match up well with what the treadmill stated.  Shocked
Hmm, I think you need to update your profile pic since it seems like you are cheating on your old 305.  I wasn't aware that the 920 had the automatic learning built into it that would (supposedly) translate into a useful treadmill running device other than for cadence and HR.  Neat!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Tom H wrote:
Nick Morris wrote: I used the indoor running feature on my 920 to see how well it worked.  Let's just say that it didn't match up well with what the treadmill stated.  Shocked
Hmm, I think you need to update your profile pic since it seems like you are cheating on your old 305.  I wasn't aware that the 920 had the automatic learning built into it that would (supposedly) translate into a useful treadmill running device other than for cadence and HR.  Neat!

Yeah it does. Also, the more you run with a HR monitor, the better it can calculate your VO2 and recovery time suggestions. It's pretty neat.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Tom H wrote:

Yeah it does.  Also, the more you run with a HR monitor, the better it can calculate your VO2 and recovery time suggestions.  It's pretty neat.

Do you believe the VO2Max calculations and the predicted times?  It might be right for me, but I'm hoping my age and old legs prevents me from running to that potential calculated.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Tom H wrote:

Yeah it does.  Also, the more you run with a HR monitor, the better it can calculate your VO2 and recovery time suggestions.  It's pretty neat.

Do you believe the VO2Max calculations and the predicted times?  It might be right for me, but I'm hoping my age and old legs prevents me from running to that potential calculated.

I am not sure about my VO2 max yet, as I have only ran twice with the HR monitor. This also means that the race predictor is probably a little off at the moment, too. I do think that in time, the numbers will get more precise.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Weight training and core work this afternoon before heading out for 6 miles. I felt really good as I started out and didn't realize until about .75 miles into the run how fast I was actually running. I decided to just go with it and run by feel. I ended up running 7:24 for the first mile. I figured that I better slow it up a bit, as I had not run that fast in a while. So I ended up keeping the remaining 5.25 between 7:30 and 7:40. The overall pace was 7:35. I didn't feel overexerted when I finished, so I am very happy about that. Tomorrow's 6 miler will probably be a little slower, as I do not want to overtrain.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:51 am

I finally got my Boston Marathon Registration email this morning. I submitted everything right away and will now wait for my acceptance email to come through. Baby steps!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I finally got my Boston Marathon Registration email this morning.  I submitted everything right away and will now wait for my acceptance email to come through.  Baby steps!!

Progress is progress...good news to hear you're moving through the process even if it is slow.

Have you settled on a goal for Boston yet?  I know you're not going to try for a BQ run at Boston.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:29 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I finally got my Boston Marathon Registration email this morning.  I submitted everything right away and will now wait for my acceptance email to come through.  Baby steps!!

Progress is progress...good news to hear you're moving through the process even if it is slow.

Have you settled on a goal for Boston yet?  I know you're not going to try for a BQ run at Boston.

If I am running with 1L, then I guess you will have to ask her the goal Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Another 6.24 miles tonight. My legs felt good after a faster run last night, but I played it safe and kept the pace easy. 4 1/2 weeks in and feeling good. Running is really fun Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:11 pm

Today was a scheduled off day, but running related things happened today. I got my acceptance email from the BAA. I am now officially in the 2015 Boston Marathon! It's nice not to have to worry about being in the race. Now I can focus on other things like fundraising and training.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am

Nick Morris wrote:Today was a scheduled off day, but running related things happened today.  I got my acceptance email from the BAA.  I am now officially in the 2015 Boston Marathon!  It's nice not to have to worry about being in the race.  Now I can focus on other things like fundraising and training.

Gratz on the email!  If you ever decide to become a politician, you're learning the fundraising piece.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:31 pm

So, Mother Nature made me switch my Sunday long run with my Saturday run. We are supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow overnight and into the mid day tomorrow:( That means 14 miles today. I am continuing to use my hilly routes for my long runs to get my legs accustom to the pounding I will give them. It was a really good 14.09 mile run, but tomorrow's 9 miler should be interesting, as it will be in snow.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah I'm getting ready to oil the dreadmill if we get the predicted 12 inches here.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:41 am

Yuck!!

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 5 Image15
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Thank you for reaffirming how lucky I am to live where the only weather like that I see is on the TV.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Can you get me a sub 3:50?  I'll work as hard as I can to be in that shape, and your job is to keep me from flying through my home town.  Mantra starting today: no one knows me in Natick, no one knows me in Natick, no one knows me in Natick.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Can you get me a sub 3:50?  I'll work as hard as I can to be in that shape, and your job is to keep me from flying through my home town.  Mantra starting today: no one knows me in Natick, no one knows me in Natick, no one knows me in Natick.

Yeah, I can get you a sub 3:50. Like you I am all about being consistent, so just let me know pace you want to run and I will make sure we do it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Wait?  Who's pacing/guiding who in Boston scratch
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:50 pm

9 miles this morning in a winter storm warning. We got around 2-3 inches over night and it continues as I type. The worst part is the 18-20 mph wind that gusts up to 30 or so at times. I take that back, the worst part of the run was the fact that the city of Madison does a horrible job of plowing and sending enough plow trucks out. I stuck to the roads, as they were a little better than the sidewalks that hadn't been shoveled. Wind, snow, horrible footing couldn't stop me from finishing 9.35 miles. Ironically my HR only averaged 130, but I felt like I almost doubled that effort.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next