365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Think I'll Go To Boston...

+8
Julie
Tom H
Mark B
Nick Morris
ounce
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

I Think I'll Go To Boston... Empty I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I think that the lead singer of the band Augustana said it best when he sang, "I think I'll go to Boston..." and after finally receiving acceptance into the 2015 Boston Marathon, that is just what I am going to do.  With that note, I also think that it is time for a new blog to go with it Smile

As many of you know, I qualified for for Boston back in November of 2013 in Hamilton, ON with a time of 3:04:32.  It was a 4 year battle with the elusive BQ and with this being the last time that I was to be in the fastest age group.  Then when race registration time came around, I was on edge as there was talk of having to trim the field to meet the race field and charity entry limits.  Unfortunately, I missed the cutoff of making it into the actual race field by 37 seconds.  Man was that was a kick to the stomach, after working so hard to get a BQ, only to be left out of the race.

It was then, that I decided that I was going to try to get a charity entry into the race.  After all it is my first BQ and I wanted to be able to run the race of my first BQ.  This is where things got worse.  The BAA raised the minimum donation amount to $5,000 for each person needing a bib for the race....ugh...$5,000!!  Once I got over the sticker shock, I still decided that it was worth it, as I would be raising money for a charity and the money would help benefit others, while I still get to run the race.  So, I started applying for charities like crazy.  I figured that my odds would be better if I applied for several...you know diversifying like with stocks.  Weeks went by and I did not hear anything from any charities.  Then, I started getting the rejection emails.  One after the other stated to me that they were sorry that they could not offer me a spot due to demand.  All of a sudden I found myself with only two charities left to respond to me...then only one.  I could see the door closing on me and as I waited for the last charity to turn me down, I reached out to one more charity to see if they had any spots available.  She stated that there may be a possibility, but nothing was guaranteed.  So, even though there was a $50 non-refundable application fee for the charity, I filled out and submitted one last charity application.  One week went by and then I got a phone call one morning.   It was from the women that I had emailed for this final charity.  She stated that she liked my application and that they may have a spot for me, but she needed to talk it over with the charity coordinator.  She stated that she would get back to me within a 24-48 hour period.  So, there I sat again waiting for an answer...all I wanted was a simple "yes".  Then, Tuesday, December 27th, I got a call.  It was from the charity coordinator.  He talked with me about my application and the charity and fundraising in general...Then he said the words that I was hoping for..."We want you on our charity team".  I was grinning from ear to ear as I heard the words!!  Yes, I finally had a spot in the race!!

So now, after 3 1/2 months of applying and waiting I know what I will be doing this winter and spring.  I will be raising money for my charity and training for the 2015 Boston Marathon.  Actually, as I look back at it now.  The news could not come at a better time.  This week marks 16 weeks until the race, which means I need to start training immediately!!  It is a good thing that I was in maintenance mode, so it should not be that big of a deal to get back into training mode. Along with that training comes this new blog and I will document my activities/adventures along the way, as I make my way towards Boylston St.

Last edited by Nick Morris on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

I Think I'll Go To Boston... Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  ounce Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Congratz again, Nick.  (I think you should affix the link for donating to the charity in your signature.)  I trust your training will be doable now that we're going into the depths of winter.  We're all rootin' for you!

By the way, I'd never heard of Augustana (no surprise there), but that's a real nice melody.  There is a song released in 1974 by Dave Loggins (no relation to Kenny Loggins) called "Please Come to Boston", which is what the charity said.  Enough reading.  You're not being trained to read, but to run!  Scoot.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:22 pm

ounce wrote:Congratz again, Nick.  (I think you should affix the link for donating to the charity in your signature.)  I trust your training will be doable now that we're going into the depths of winter.  We're all rootin' for you!

By the way, I'd never heard of Augustana (no surprise there), but that's a real nice melody.  There is a song released in 1974 by Dave Loggins (no relation to Kenny Loggins) called "Please Come to Boston", which is what the charity said.  Enough reading.  You're not being trained to read, but to run!  Scoot.

Thanks @ounce

That's a great idea to put the link in my signature...consider it done.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Today I put together a 16 week training program for Boston and since this is technically Week 1, my 4.5 miles on Monday was my first official run of the training cycle.  I followed up the 4.5 miles with a couple of days off to celebrate the coming of the new year...and you know...One day of training is tough, so I need to make sure that I am rested for the long haul Wink

Today also was a good day for a 6.26 mile run around the University of Wisconsin Arboretum.  It was brisk, but I warmed up quickly, as my new thermal gear from Christmas is quite toasty.  I only saw one turkey today, as you may recall from some of my earlier blogs that I normally encounter quite a few of them when I run there.  All in all a good run today.  It feel good to run with a purpose again, instead of just running to run.

Tomorrow should be fun, as a low front is set to collide with a high front and bring us rain, to freezing rain, to snow.  I am not sure which condition I will be running in, but I will be doing 8 miles in at least one of them.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Substantive comments later.

First...

SQUEEEE!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Now, get training!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 am

Mark B wrote:Substantive comments later.

First...

SQUEEEE!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Now, get training
Is 'Squeeee' quack talk for what, please? scratch study
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am

ounce wrote:

First...

SQUEEEE!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Now, get training

I think that it's his happy yell Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 am

Congrats on finding a way to run the victory lap you earned.  It's a wild race, that's for sure.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Congrats on finding a way to run the victory lap you earned.  It's a wild race, that's for sure.

Thanks Mike! I plan to take in the whole experience.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:

First...

SQUEEEE!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Now, get training

Pretty much. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Wow, that was some hoops to jump through! If they were literal you would be that much more trained, haha. Glad you're in. I would encourage fellow 356ers to help support Nick with whatever you can.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 pm

fostever wrote:Wow, that was some hoops to jump through! If they were literal you would be that much more trained, haha. Glad you're in. I would encourage fellow 356ers to help support Nick with whatever you can.

Thanks Steve, it was definitely a difficult and frustrating process. I am glad that I was able to finally get a spot in the race. Now, the only real hurdle I have is to raise the appropriate funds. Thank you for your donation!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:18 pm

I got lucky with the precipitation today. The light dusting of snow that we received was done before I got out of bed. This also allowed most of the sidewalks to be cleared. I state most, as there were still those people who always seem to take the full 24 hours to clear off their sidewalks. It didn't matter much, though, as the footing was pretty good. I ended up getting in a good 8.10 miles. Tomorrow is supposed to be similar to today, as we are expected to get another light dusting of snow. The difference is that it is supposed to be colder and windier than today. The temps are supposed to plummet as the day goes on. 10 miles scheduled for tomorrow morning. The first "long" run of the training cycle.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:32 pm

First long run of the training cycle and it was an adventurous one.  20 mph winds created a -1 degree wind chill that helped blow the fresh layer of fluffy white death that we got overnight.  To combat the cold, most of the sidewalk/bike path was covered with 1/2-3/4 of an inch of snow.  Footing was not the greatest, but my trail shoes helped out and made the 10.41 miles more enjoyable.  Good run, felt great, and had to break out my baclava for the first time this winter. I finished Week 1 with a mileage total of 30.02 miles.  A good starting point to ramp up from.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm sure the weather is headed our way, and my daughter is in for a big treat when she gets to Madison (it will be very cold and she and Nick will be in the same building at the same hockey game).  BU is ranked #1 right now, but Wisco has been coming on as of late.  I have heard of Augustana and know that song.  Guess, I'm not as old as Ounce.

Keep up the good work and see you soon.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Woo hoo! Glad you got in! What a relief and what a  lot of waiting you had to do.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Julie wrote:Woo hoo! Glad you got in! What a relief and what a  lot of waiting you had to do.

Thanks @Julie

I hope that all is well with you!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 am

It would be better if we'd quit getting these cold fronts from the arctic, but yes, fine.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Congrats on getting in.  You're lucky.  Trevor had to raise $6500 last year, but in the end he got over $10k.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:08 pm

mountandog wrote:Congrats on getting in.  You're lucky.  Trevor had to raise $6500 last year, but in the end he got over $10k.

Thanks Michael!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:09 pm

BTW...This is what it was like when they told me that they wanted me on their team...

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Nice!

I pity the hills! Pity them!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Nice to have you back blogging...guess it just took a Boston entry to get you back online. Very Happy

We had shorts weather today...50 degrees. But we earned it. We had our share of freezing temps earlier and will probably have more to come.

Happy training. Stay warm.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:

First...

SQUEEEE!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Now, get training

Pretty much. Wink

Maybe Mark is really a Beaver fan and that is his effort to celebrate the Duck's victory but he can't quite give it his all. Very Happy
Yes, even we Beaver fans are pretty proud of the Ducks and happy to support them in this instance.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice to have you back blogging...guess it just took a Boston entry to get you back online. Very Happy

We had shorts weather today...50 degrees.  But we earned it.  We had our share of freezing temps earlier and will probably have more to come.

Happy training.  Stay warm.

Thanks Nancy!!! I guess I just needed a purpose Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next