365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Think I'll Go To Boston...

+8
Julie
Tom H
Mark B
Nick Morris
ounce
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 3 Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  fostever Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:27 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I booked my flights for Boston last night!!!  There is no going back now Smile
So no return flight? that might raise some homeland eyebrows>lol
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 3 Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  fostever Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:The worst part is, that I gotta run in this shit this morning!! 

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 3 Image12
If you were training for the Antarctic marathon this would be perfect conditions.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:43 pm

fostever wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:The worst part is, that I gotta run in this shit this morning!! 

2 - I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 3 Image12
If you were training for the Antarctic marathon this would be perfect conditions.

Approval
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:57 pm

So, a rest day yesterday. The little lady and I went to the Wisconsin Badgers men's hock game last night. They played Michele's #2 ranked Boston University. Now granted, the Badgers are very young this year and only have 2 wins, but they played pretty well last night. They skated to a 3-3 tie.

This morning I woke to a frigid -18 degree windchill. It was extremely brutal for the first mile. I could not feel my hands and it felt like my finger tips were going to break off. Once I got to the end of the first mile, my core temperature started to rise and I felt much better. Honestly, the rest of the run was fairly comfortable. I ended up completing a frosty 8.1 miles (because 8 is never enough Wink ). 12 miles scheduled for tomorrow, but it is supposed to be a little warmer...maybe above 0 (I can only hope).
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Actually it's Michele's daughter's BU Terriers, but that's ok.  You'll see my alma mater soon enough when you cruise through Wellesley in April.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Looks like it's warming up by Wed, at least around here. We seem to get similar weather fronts. I was a wimp this a.m. and am running outside tomorrow.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:00 am

you can't complain.  There are lots of great clothes out there.  Yes the TM sucks, but you could be sitting on your ass or slugging it out in the cold.  And yes, there will be runners the day after tomorrow.  Man, what a bunch of wimps!!!!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 am

However, my BU or not  - 6-1 is more like it.  Go Terriers!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:However, my BU or not  - 6-1 is more like it.  Go Terriers!

Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Big swing in temps this morning over yesterday morning. It was 19 degrees to start the run. It felt like a heat wave in comparison. I got in a good 12 miles and was feeling so good that I decided to add in a few 400m intervals. A good way to end the second week of the training cycle.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Nick Morris wrote:So, a rest day yesterday.  The little lady and I went to the Wisconsin Badgers men's hock game last night.  They played Michele's #2 ranked Boston University.  Now granted, the Badgers are very young this year and only have 2 wins, but they played pretty well last night.  They skated to a 3-3 tie.

This morning I woke to a frigid -18 degree windchill.  It was extremely brutal for the first mile.  I could not feel my hands and it felt like my finger tips were going to break off.  Once I got to the end of the first mile, my core temperature started to rise and I felt much better.  Honestly, the rest of the run was fairly comfortable.  I ended up completing a frosty 8.1 miles (because 8 is never enough Wink ).  12 miles scheduled for tomorrow, but it is supposed to be a little warmer...maybe above 0 (I can only hope).

Ahhh, whenever I think about the high cost of real estate here in the SF Bay Area, I'm just going to come back and reference this posting.  Mid-winter run today starting at 57 degrees under sunny skies.  Have you ever considered migrating for the winter?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Tom H wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:So, a rest day yesterday.  The little lady and I went to the Wisconsin Badgers men's hock game last night.  They played Michele's #2 ranked Boston University.  Now granted, the Badgers are very young this year and only have 2 wins, but they played pretty well last night.  They skated to a 3-3 tie.

This morning I woke to a frigid -18 degree windchill.  It was extremely brutal for the first mile.  I could not feel my hands and it felt like my finger tips were going to break off.  Once I got to the end of the first mile, my core temperature started to rise and I felt much better.  Honestly, the rest of the run was fairly comfortable.  I ended up completing a frosty 8.1 miles (because 8 is never enough Wink ).  12 miles scheduled for tomorrow, but it is supposed to be a little warmer...maybe above 0 (I can only hope).

Ahhh, whenever I think about the high cost of real estate here in the SF Bay Area, I'm just going to come back and reference this posting.  Mid-winter run today starting at 57 degrees under sunny skies.  Have you ever considered migrating for the winter?

A move in climate is hopefully going to take place by the end of the year.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Hope you're staying warm and safe. Smile  I'd complain about our fog but don't think I'd get much sympathy.  At least I can run outside comfortably.  I'm sure we'll be complaining about running in the heat before we know it...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope you're staying warm and safe. Smile  I'd complain about our fog but don't think I'd get much sympathy.  At least I can run outside comfortably.  I'm sure we'll be complaining about running in the heat before we know it...

I can handle the warm...I just complain if it is too warm on race day Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Monday night, recovery night. 3 mile recovery run, followed by some weight training and core work. I've alread got a lot of my travel plans booked for Boston. I have booked my flight, hotel before the race, hotel for race day night, and rental car. All that is left is to book my hotel for the four days after the race. Yes, that's right, I am making a week out of my first ever trip to Boston. A little mini vacation, with a nice little 26.2 mile stroll in the middle of it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:38 pm

First ever trip to Boston - wow!!!  There is so much to do and see - hope you enjoy my home city!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 am

Tuesday = rest day for me. I'll pick things back up tonight with a 5 miler. I am going to try to get outside tonight.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:50 am

Nick, this is just conversational, but of all the postings that I've read about anything related to running Boston over the years here and the V-Team boards, two things stuck out to me the most:
1.  Run the course on your last long run before the race with a bunch of people that do it every year.  Better yet, ask or plead with Miche1e to run the course some time as a long run.
2.  Where to stay, which I haven't really attained a final understanding.

However, it seems like you've figured out #2.  I'm not suggesting anything about #1, as it's just conversational.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 am

ounce wrote:Nick, this is just conversational, but of all the postings that I've read about anything related to running Boston over the years here and the V-Team boards, two things stuck out to me the most:
1.  Run the course on your last long run before the race with a bunch of people that do it every year.  Better yet, ask or plead with Miche1e to run the course some time as a long run.
2.  Where to stay, which I haven't really attained a final understanding.

However, it seems like you've figured out #2.  I'm not suggesting anything about #1, as it's just conversational.

The good news is that I am going to train to race Boston, but I am not planning on racing Boston this time.  Since this is my first Boston I want to take in everything, just learn the course, and have fun with it.  Then, I might just race it the next time around.  I wonder if Michele would let me run this race with her Smile ?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Oooh, I like where this is going.  I'm going in 2016 and had the same thought of experiencing the event fully as opposed to racing it.  Hadn't considered the 1L Marathon Guide service though. That sounds sweet!!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Weight training and core work after work. Then I went home to run 5 miles outside in the chilly dark of night. 20 degrees, but felt like 10 with the windchill. Really wasn't that bad and after the first miles, the sidewalks were pretty clear. I was just sick of running my midweek runs on the treadmill. It's supposed to warm up for a few days starting tomorrow. When I mean warming up, I mean middle to upper 30s and a chance to hit the lower 40s on Saturday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:00 pm

OMG, that would force me to get in shape and keep my mouth shut (from bitching) and just be a tour guide.  It could be arranged, but I might be a tad bit too slow for you.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:OMG, that would force me to get in shape and keep my mouth shut (from bitching) and just be a tour guide.  It could be arranged, but I might be a tad bit too slow for you.

Oh Nick...that would be fun and slow might not be a bad thing.  Wish I was fast enough to join in but I'm going to have to be careful on this course!

This will also be my first trip to Boston.  We (my daughter is coming with me) arrive Friday evening and fly out Tuesday afternoon.  We aren't planning on doing much sightseeing as we're coming back in October to meet up with friends from Australia.  We'll spend a couple days in Boston, a few days hiking from hut to hut on the Appalachian trail and then a couple days in Acadia Natl. Park.

Hope the weather warms up as forecast.  Sounds like even with the cold weather your training is coming along OK.  How's the fundraising going?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:OMG, that would force me to get in shape and keep my mouth shut (from bitching) and just be a tour guide.  It could be arranged, but I might be a tad bit too slow for you.

Haha!  I won't be in 3:04:00 shape by then anyways, so you shouldn't worry about that Smile  Plus, you can bitch as much as you want to, just as long as I can too!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:

Oh Nick...that would be fun and slow might not be a bad thing.  Wish I was fast enough to join in but I'm going to have to be careful on this course!

This will also be my first trip to Boston.  We (my daughter is coming with me) arrive Friday evening and fly out Tuesday afternoon.  We aren't planning on doing much sightseeing as we're coming back in October to meet up with friends from Australia.  We'll spend a couple days in Boston, a few days hiking from hut to hut on the Appalachian trail and then a couple days in Acadia Natl. Park.

Hope the weather warms up as forecast.  Sounds like even with the cold weather your training is coming along OK.  How's the fundraising going?

Sounds like you have all of your sight seeing planned out.  I haven't even planned any of that yet.  I am just focused on getting the logistics down.

As far as weather, it hit 38 today, so tonight's run should be more comfortable.  Should hit the lower 40s on Saturday!!

My fundraising is going pretty well.  I am up to $3,750, so not far off from the minimum of $5,000.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next