365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "In Between"

+11
JohnP
Seth Harrison
nkrichards
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave P
Julie
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
15 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The "In Between" - Page 5 Empty Re: The "In Between"

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 am

Crazy on the ice, Nick. Be careful! I went out on a super-slick run last winter and felt like I'd done 30 miles on the trails. The next time it was that icy - I used the treadmill. Fun's fun, but there are limits.

Might want to post up a sign on that bike path that you found a strapless Garmin, just in case somebody's still looking for it. You know how fond people are of those 305s... Good for your karma, anyway.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 am

So, it has been a sticker all week. No running for me as I have come down with another illness. This time a severe sore throat that has plagued me over the last couple of days. A rapid strep test came back negative and I am awaiting the results of the 48 hour culture, but man does it suck. I was supposed to get in 14 tomorrow morning before getting on a plane early Sunday morning for a week long vacation to the Dominican Republic. Now the run is in jeopardy and I am hoping that I am better so that I can enjoy some R and R in the sun.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Finally found out what my illness is. My sore throat was getting progressively worse all week. So much that I went to the Urgent Care today. After another txt rep test and blood test, I was diagnosed with Mono. Yes Mono...I really thought that Mono was for teens and not a lower 30s guy, but oh well. I got prescribed some steroids for the throat swelling and some oxycodone for the pain. A nice cocktail to take on my trip to the Dominican tomorrow morning.

The thing that I am worried about is that it zaps the energy out of you and can last for 6 weeks or so. This may definitely cut into my running time...oh well...it is important to get healthy.

Have fun this next week...I may check in from my resort Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Mono? Oh geez. One of my reporters had it a couple of years ago, and it was a major hassle. Make sure to be aggressive in taking care of yourself so it doesn't linger. Sorry.  Neutral

You know, given your bad luck with bugs over the past few months, I'm wondering just how long you've had mono...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Sorry to hear about the Mono, Nick, but the vacation and rest should take care of that.  Be sure not to run in the Dominican, but do drink a lot of alcohol and soak up a lot of sun. Enjoy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry to hear about the Mono, Nick, but the vacation and rest should take care of that.  Be sure not to run in the Dominican, but do drink a lot of alcohol and soak up a lot of sun. Enjoy.
I'll be sure to drink up... As long as my throat starts feeling better Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:11 pm

As someone who went through mono during a high school cross country season, I would advise taking at least 2 weeks completely off running at a minimum.  I came back too quickly and it lingered much longer than it should have.  Go really easy the first few weeks back so you don't stress your system any more than necessary to keep some level of fitness.  Get in touch if you have questions about specifics because it's tricky.  I had zero symptoms other than slow race times when I was diagnosed.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 am

A quick update from the Dominican Republic. First off it is gorgeous here and the weather is awesome. I'll take 84 and sunny over the negTive degree weather the Midwest is getting again. My sore throat is finally getting better. Almost all of the swelling has gone down and I am now off of a liquid diet as I can eat solid foods. I am even able to enjoy an alcoholic drink or two Smile Today I am going snorkeling with stingrays and sharks. Looks like I may get to enjoy this vacation after all!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

I figured that your liquid diet WAS the alcoholic beverages.  Don't get too acclimated to that 84 degrees, mister.  You still have 6 weeks of winter plus whatever that overgrown hamster says.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am

ounce wrote:I figured that your liquid diet WAS the alcoholic beverages.  Don't get too acclimated to that 84 degrees, mister.  You still have 6 weeks of winter plus whatever that overgrown hamster says.

Not quite true, good sir. I am heading to Phoenix in a little over a month for another week long vacation Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 am

So I survived my trip to the Dominican Republic. It was a blast...outside of the severe sore throat that I had the first 3-4 days that I was there. I went snorkeling with sharks and stingrays and relaxed on the beach and by the pool. It was very difficult to come back to the polar vortex after spending 7 days in 85 degree tropical weather. I decided not to run at all while on vacation and for the most part, I did not feel like running. I think that the mono drained my energy a bit.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 am

After doing some reading and listening to some suggestions from those that have had mono, I have decided to take it really slow when coming back to running. I think that I am on the later stages of all of the symptoms, as I think that I am going on week 6 or so. I had taken a week and a half off from running, but found my way to a treadmill at the gym on Monday. I did an easy mile and a half at an 8:00 minute pace. My energy level felt alright, but I am not sure how things would go at a fast pace and longer distance. My plan is to run a couple more easy miles tonight and see how I feel.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 am

Why would I ever want to leave this place???

The "In Between" - Page 5 Pc10
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:13 am

Nice photo, Nick. Could you post up a view out your front window for comparison purposes? Brr.

Glad you're taking it easy on the recuperation. Mono isn't something to mess around with.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice photo, Nick. Could you post up a view out your front window for comparison purposes? Brr.

Glad you're taking it easy on the recuperation. Mono isn't something to mess around with.

I can, but I am not sure that you will want to see the white death that is outside of my office window!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 pm

In contrast, here is the current view out of my office window...YUCK!!!  It is a balmy 12 degrees out with a windchill of 0 degrees...

The "In Between" - Page 5 20140110
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Well, actually, it's kind of pretty.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:08 pm

Mark B wrote:Well, actually, it's kind of pretty.

I'll trade you then Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:11 am

I was able to get in another run yesterday at the gym. This time I upped it to two miles at an 8 minute pace. Everything seemed alright, so I will continue with more low mileage tomorrow. If I feel good, I will try to do some miles over the weekend, as well.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:38 am

Nice work, but keep it easy! Are there any follow-up tests they do to track your recovery?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:31 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice work, but keep it easy! Are there any follow-up tests they do to track your recovery?

Nope...No follow ups, but I was told to take it easy and avoid contact sports for a few weeks. I think that I was on the later end of it when I went in to the doctor almost 2 weeks ago. I had felt some of the symptoms since sometime in December. (now that I know what the symptoms are) Hopefully it is only up from here...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I got in my first outdoor run in a couple of weeks today. I put I. Only four miles,but it felt pretty good. Overnight we received another two inches of the White Death, so the pace was pretty slow at 8:55. Still taking it easy, but I felt good afterwards. I will get our for another four miles again tomorrow morning.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Another four miles outside this morning. The footing was much better this morning and the pace showed that. I still kept it the same effort, but we ran 20 seconds per mile faster at an 8:35 pace. Energy level felt good, so next weekend I will probably try to add a few miles to my runs.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:44 pm

I am heading out to Denver tomorrow morning (weather permitting) for one of our Sales Meetings...ugh!! It also looks like it is supposed to be bitterly cold in Denver while I am there. So, I think that I will be sticking to my hotel gym to get my workouts in. Which is a total bummer...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

No worries, Nick.  Just take it easy and take a few more days off to let your body get better.  You might feel better, but I bet you can use the rest.  I made the mistake of not taking any real time off when I had a staph infection and I paid for it in a race.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum: