365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Colorado Trail Running Experts?

4 posters

Go down

Any Colorado Trail Running Experts? Empty Any Colorado Trail Running Experts?

Post  Ben Z Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Any recommendations for the best place to make a 3 day running weekend in or within driving distance of Boulder for a weekend in mid November?

I've run around Boulder before but never in mid November.

Same goes with Estes Park - I've only been there in August.

So where can I go without a ton of snow but still get up high (at least 8,000')? Stay in Boulder and run Bear or Green? Estes Park? Nederland? Somewhere else within 2-3 hours drive of Boulder?

Really appreciate any feedback.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Any Colorado Trail Running Experts? Empty Re: Any Colorado Trail Running Experts?

Post  wrichman Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 pm

I can ask my friends that live there. I'll get back to you.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Any Colorado Trail Running Experts? Empty Re: Any Colorado Trail Running Experts?

Post  Ben Z Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:20 am

So far I've got:

If you’re looking for lots of trails and high elevation without much snow, Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs is one good place to go. Lots of trails in Cheyenne Canyon are closed now, I think, but there’s still Cheyenne Mtn State Park, Red Rock Canyon, Garden of the Gods, and the various trails on Pikes, which are generally fine up to 10k’ (often higher) all through the winter.

Or:

I lived in both Buena Vista and Salida CO. They are great small mountain towns and are in the banana belt, meaning they have warmer temps and less snow than in other areas. The Rainbow trail off of Poncha Pass should be good right now or any part of the Salida Marathon course.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 am

• Here's the responses on FB so far:

Colorado, Mid November, above 8000', not a ton of snow = Mission Impossible??
    Any Colorado Trail Running Experts? 1117083_667964279_210708577_q
  • [url=https://www.facebook.com/denverrunner]2-3 hours from Boulder gives you a lot of options, and I suspect in November - there will still be plenty open at that altitude. 8,000 feet isn't *that* high. Unfortunately I don't go up there in the winter to run, so can't really give much insight. I can check with my Boulder peeps tho'. [/url]

Hey Whitney. I would think your friend would want to stay somewhere along the Front Range and then make excursions up to the mountains. Anywhere you stay from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins, you can get to 8,000 feet with a pretty short drive. Boulder is probably the best though.

wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:09 am

Hey, I kinda know somebody who lives and runs in the Colorado Springs area. I'll ask him.

And.. here's an answer!

It really all depends on the snow. The high country has been getting some snow, so a lot of the big mountain runs are out. Front range is dry. Golden Gate Canyon is awesome, right outside of golden. Extra beautiful this time of year. Indian Peaks area has snow, probably out of the question. If he wants to shoot down here (Colorado Springs) one day I could take him on some solid trail runs. It's usually always dry down here. Pikes peak has a bit of snow, but not much. Boulders trails are trashed from the floods and I think a lot of them are still closed.

I'll PM you his contact information.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:21 pm

From friend that lives in Boulder: 

My first thoughts are a lot of the best trails (Bear, Green, Mesa) had extensive damage from the flooding and I know parts are re-open, but others aren't. I'm going to shoot an email to my friend who runs with one of the local Trail Running groups and ask where they have been running that is open now. This website has the most up to date info on the trails around here.
Any Colorado Trail Running Experts? Safe_image.php?d=AQDubcmpIcRJ17dp&w=154&h=154&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww-static.bouldercolorado.gov%2Fdocs%2Fbanners%2F1374188589_Closures_bannerhttps://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/closures
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Garden of the Gods just outside Colorado Springs is a fun place to run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down