365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Empty My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50

Post  T Miller on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Well, here goes my third attempt to write this report. The first one got wiped out by a computer crash and the second was a the result of a forced reboot.

Wendy and I packed up and headed out for Albion Indiana, 4.5 hour drive, on Friday, after Wendy's 33 mile run. Wendy was nice enough to drive, so I could sleep, even though she was up early for her run. The predicted weather for the race seemed ideal with a low of 30 and a high of 46. On the way up I discovered that there was a 30mph wind which made 30 degrees feel very cold. Soon after realizing how windy it was, it began to snow. That's when I started to become a little concerned about the weather. Next thing I knew, Charles messaged us to inform us that they were rerouting parts of the course because they were flooded.

We arrived at our cabin, which Charles Moman and his wife Susie so graciously shared with us. We were originally planning to camp in a tent. We got settled in and headed over for packet pickup, the spaghetti dinner and the pre-race meeting. All of this took place at the race headquarters which was a large tent that had surrounding walls. It was not ideal to sit out in 30 degree temperatures and eat our pre-race meal but it didn't turn out as bad as we had anticipated. At the end our our meal, there was a pre-race meeting in which the race director had decided to walk us through the course. He said that it was flooded and they rerouted parts of the course that were nearly 4 feet deep. Thank god for that. He was very humorous in his delivery while he was explaining that he was out on the course and witnessed some things that he had never seen before. One example was the parking lot that had split in half and had a river running through it. Another example was the flooded bridge that had water running over the top. He warned us that it was very slippery and he suggested that we walk across the bridge and hold on to the hand rail. The thing he didn't tell us was that there were a dozen water crossings some of which were nearly 200 meters long. They suggested that we keep a good attitude for the success of the race.

Race morning arrived and we headed for the starting area about 30 minutes before the start. We dropped our drop bags, took care of last minute preparations and headed over for the start line. It was a 6am start so head laps and lights were required or at least recommended. The course consisted of a 16.67 mile loop. The 50 milers would do 3 loops and the 100 milers would do 6. There was an aid station every 4 - 5 miles so I would be able to see Wendy several times during each loop. My initial goal for the race was to try to run it in 7:30 which is a 9:00 minute per mile pace. This pace would mean that each lap would take approximately 2.5 hours. Wendy was training for her own 50 mile race so she also wanted to get a loop in as a part of her back to back long runs. She considered pacing a 100 mile runner but in the end decided to run my third loop with me, more on that later.

Here is a picture of me and Charles with our gear right before leaving the cabin.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_15[/img]

At the starting line I line up near the front and plan to start off slow at around a 9 minute pace. The goal early was to keep the effort level super low and to not wipe myself out in the early miles. I think I ran the first mile at around a 9:30 pace and the terrain was mostly grass with some small rolling hills. It wasn't long before I found myself in a position where I was in front of a long string of runners but I couldn't see the guy in front of me. Near mile 2 I came upon a body of water and stopped in my tracks. I thought that I had missed the trail and was searching for the turn off. A couple seconds later a couple runners come running past and plod straight through the knee deep water. This water crossing was probably 50 feet across. A few more runners followed in line so I clinched my teeth and followed the group. So much for keeping my feet dry. The water was ice cold and my feet were numb by the time that I came out the other side. This is about the point where I realized what they day had in store.

Here is a picture at mile 3 where the trail runs past the cabin where we were staying. Wendy, Susie and a number of other spectators were there to catch their first glimpse of the race, in the dark.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_16[/img]

The remainder of the first loop was pretty uneventful besides the fact that we had nearly a dozen water crossings, one of which was probably 200 meters long. I was able to see Wendy at the cabin at mile 3 and every aid station. I finished the first loop feeling pretty good but my time was 2:42 (9:43 pace) which put me behind pace for my 7:30 goal and at that point I knew that 7:30 just wasn't going to happen. My time goals were no longer in play and my goal was to simply finish and enjoy the race.

Here is a picture at mile 9.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_17[/img]

Here is a short water crossing that I'm guessing was around mile 12.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_21[/img]

Here is a picture coming into the aid station at the start/finish line.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_18[/img]

Here is a picture where I'm starting the second loop.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_19[/img]

Here is another picture near mile 21.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_20[/img]

I didn't bother to change shoes at the beginning of the second loop because It was pointless and my feet would be soaked within a couple miles. The second loop was more of the same thing except the muddy spots on the course started to change from soggy wet spots to deep, creamy, slippery mud spots. This made the second loop slower and more challenging. I was feeling good and wasn't working too hard until I was about half way through the second loop, near mile 25. Somewhere around this time my left hip had started to bother me and was becoming very painful on every foot fall. I don't remember doing anything to irritate it but it was becoming more and more of an issue as I completed the second loop. All I could think was that it was a result of running through all of the long muddy sections, perhaps where the trail was off camber. During this lap I could tell that the water was going down a bit but it didn't make much difference. The race organizers had also routed some of the trail around some of the worse water stops. Apparently there were a bunch of people that complained about the course and convinced the them to flag alternate routes. I walked a couple of the steeper climbs near the end of this loop to save myself for the final loop and ended up finishing my second loop in 2:54:22 (10:28 pace).

Here is the same water crossing as above but this would be mile 29 during the second loop with Brice and Brandt.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_22[/img]

Here I am coming into to pickup Wendy for the 3rd loop.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_26[/img]

I decided to change my shoes between laps 2 and 3 because I had a bunch of crud in them from all of the water crossings. I sat down and changed from my Saucony Peragrine to my Montrail Rogue Racers. Wendy was running this lap with me and I glad to have company and was happy to show her the condition of the course. I felt decent for the first few miles of the last lap but it all caught up with me and I ended up power walking almost all of the inclines during this lap. My hip had settled down some but that was probably due to the slower pace. My hamstrings during that lap were extremely tight and my quads were starting to feel the distance. The quad pain was dull and not nearly what I've experienced while racing some of my marathons. The biggest problem I had during this last loop was with my breathing and the dull ache of fatigue. I no more desire to consume any more gels or pbj's and stuck with boiled potatoes. They kept offering me hot soup and looking back I probably should have had some but at the time I had no desire for anything hot. I ended up finishing the final lap in 3:11:28 (11:29 pace) for a total time of 8:47:56 (10:34 average pace) which was good enough for 7th place overall and first master's male though they did not have master's or age group divisions.

Here is the same water crossing as above but this time it was around mile 45 w/ Wendy.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_23[/img]

Here I am giving it what I have left for the finish.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_24[/img]

And finally, it felt so good to be able to stop at the finish line and here I was finally able to sit down after finishing.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_25[/img]

I really enjoyed this race even though it was flooded and cold. I didn't achieve my time goal but it was more about finishing my first 50 mile race than it was about time anyway. I had absolutely no idea what it would be like to try to cover 50 miles in a single run. I can tell you that it is about like every other race though the pain less severe but the duration much longer. Prior to the race I had absolutely no ambition to ever attempt a 100 miler. Now, I think it may be something that I'll try in the future, maybe after that ironman. Wendy and I are signed up for JFK in November so now I have one under my belt I'll know what to expect. I can't wait to meet up with everyone else that'll be at JFK.

Wendy's race is the Ice Age 50 up in Wisconsin. It is 12 days from today.

There were 77 finishers out of about 100 runners that signed up for the 50.
There were only 56 out of 180 runners that were able to complete the 100. Apparently the cold and wet conditions made it too difficult for most. I had a friend that decided on his own to drop from the race and I heard of others that were pulled from the race due to hypothermia. One lady fell in one of the water crossings and wasn't able to continue past the first loop. What a bummer.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Empty Re: My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Damn, Tim, I knew you were tough (after all you put up with Wendy jk), but damn, I would have gone home before the pre-race meeting. It would be exciting to see what you could run with good trail conditions as I know that you would tear it up. Maybe you should come on over an run the Buckeye Trail 50 or Mohican this summer - I'd come home to do some pacing (although, I'd never keep up). It will be hot, but it will be dry! I think that JFK has nothing on you.

Congrats on an incredible accomplishment, I'm not sure I'm worthy to share the road with you in Indianapolis. Rest up and recover well.

(Wish the picture showed you and Wendy in the water - it must have been up to her thighs!)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Empty Re: My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50

Post  T Miller on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn, Tim, I knew you were tough (after all you put up with Wendy jk), but damn, I would have gone home before the pre-race meeting. It would be exciting to see what you could run with good trail conditions as I know that you would tear it up. Maybe you should come on over an run the Buckeye Trail 50 or Mohican this summer - I'd come home to do some pacing (although, I'd never keep up). It will be hot, but it will be dry! I think that JFK has nothing on you.

Congrats on an incredible accomplishment, I'm not sure I'm worthy to share the road with you in Indianapolis. Rest up and recover well.

(Wish the picture showed you and Wendy in the water - it must have been up to her thighs!)

Ha ha, you want to see what Wendy looks like in the middle of the water crossing? Ask and you shall receive. lol!

Sorry, not in the middle but this is the best I can do.
[img]My First 50 at the Indiana Trail 100/50 Itr50_27[/img]
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Great job ! I ran one loop of that course as a training run a few weeks ago so I'm very familiar with it. You had tough tough conditions and did awesome! I will be running along with Wendy at iceage but only doing the 50K . Did you ring the bell by the school house?
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn, Tim, I knew you were tough (after all you put up with Wendy jk),

(I think Wendy might bitch-slap you into next week, 1L) j/k Razz

Tim, you have more guts than I do (figuratively...not literally of course). Many gratz on that race notch AND all the glory and money on being the first master, even if they're ain't none.

You also write a very descriptive report. I especially liked the 2nd loop water trough description of "...to deep, creamy, slippery mud spots." Way to go!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Are you freaking kidding me? I will pick up reading from the pre-race dinner later. Jerry only likes fancy hotel 1/4 mile from the start line. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm

@T Miller wrote:The predicted weather for the race seemed ideal with a low of 30 and a high of 46. On the way up I discovered that there was a 30mph wind which made 30 degrees feel very cold. Soon after realizing how windy it was, it began to snow. That's when I started to become a little concerned about the weather.

That's some seriously well-crafted understatement, Tim! Low of 30? Boring. 30 mph wind? That'll be nippy. Oh, it's snowing?

Hm. I wonder if this weather might be a problem?

@T Miller wrote:Next thing I knew, Charles messaged us to inform us that they were rerouting parts of the course because they were flooded.

Well, there's that.

The fact that you even embarked on this run -- let alone continued after one punishing lap -- shows just how either committed or deeply disturbed you are. I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or urge you to get help! And now maybe 100?

Still, that you DID begin this run, and that you DID keep going after one lap, then two, then three is a testament to your fitness, tenacity and positive mental attitude. (The fact that Wendy didn't hesitate to join you on that last lap comes as no surprise whatsoever, though.)

The soreness you felt may well have come from all the work of running on slippery, mucky, uneven terrain for hours on end.

I'd encourage you to consider making an ultra trip out West, where we only run people up and down mountains, not attempt to drown them in sinkholes, quicksand or some other swamp. We also tend to do them in the summer, when you're less likely to succumb to hypothermia.

And you were going to camp there? Yii.

Congrats on your first 50. May your second be not quite so adventuresome.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 am

Outstanding Tim. You definitely had some conditions to deal with. Looking forward to meeting you at JFK.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

Congratulations on a very cool accomplishment Tim. The water crossing photos more resemble a boot a camp workout than an ultra. Deciding early on to ditch your goal time was obviously a smart idea, and the only way to go. Yet you still finished 7th overall. Pretty amazing.
Great race report. Wendy's should be a hoot!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I can't believe you started the race let alone finished it! I loved reading about it...running it...maybe not. Laughing
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn, Tim, I knew you were tough (after all you put up with Wendy jk), but damn, I would have gone home before the pre-race meeting. It would be exciting to see what you could run with good trail conditions as I know that you would tear it up. Maybe you should come on over an run the Buckeye Trail 50 or Mohican this summer - I'd come home to do some pacing (although, I'd never keep up). It will be hot, but it will be dry! I think that JFK has nothing on you.

Thanks Michele, another 50 this summer is tempting.

@amyjoann wrote:Great job ! I ran one loop of that course as a training run a few weeks ago so I'm very familiar with it. You had tough tough conditions and did awesome! I will be running along with Wendy at iceage but only doing the 50K . Did you ring the bell by the school house?

I didn't even realize there was a bell until I watched Charles Moman's video., thanks and see you at ice age.

@ounce wrote:
@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn, Tim, I knew you were tough (after all you put up with Wendy jk),

(I think Wendy might bitch-slap you into next week, 1L) j/k Razz

Tim, you have more guts than I do (figuratively...not literally of course). Many gratz on that race notch AND all the glory and money on being the first master, even if they're ain't none.

You also write a very descriptive report. I especially liked the 2nd loop water trough description of "...to deep, creamy, slippery mud spots." Way to go!

Thanks Ounce, believe it or not, it was fun.

@Jerry wrote:Are you freaking kidding me? I will pick up reading from the pre-race dinner later. Jerry only likes fancy hotel 1/4 mile from the start line. lol!

Come on Jerry, quit being so lazy Smile

@Mark B wrote:
@T Miller wrote:The predicted weather for the race seemed ideal with a low of 30 and a high of 46. On the way up I discovered that there was a 30mph wind which made 30 degrees feel very cold. Soon after realizing how windy it was, it began to snow. That's when I started to become a little concerned about the weather.

That's some seriously well-crafted understatement, Tim! Low of 30? Boring. 30 mph wind? That'll be nippy. Oh, it's snowing?

Hm. I wonder if this weather might be a problem?

@T Miller wrote:Next thing I knew, Charles messaged us to inform us that they were rerouting parts of the course because they were flooded.

Well, there's that.

The fact that you even embarked on this run -- let alone continued after one punishing lap -- shows just how either committed or deeply disturbed you are. I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or urge you to get help! And now maybe 100?

Still, that you DID begin this run, and that you DID keep going after one lap, then two, then three is a testament to your fitness, tenacity and positive mental attitude. (The fact that Wendy didn't hesitate to join you on that last lap comes as no surprise whatsoever, though.)

The soreness you felt may well have come from all the work of running on slippery, mucky, uneven terrain for hours on end.

I'd encourage you to consider making an ultra trip out West, where we only run people up and down mountains, not attempt to drown them in sinkholes, quicksand or some other swamp. We also tend to do them in the summer, when you're less likely to succumb to hypothermia.

And you were going to camp there? Yii.

Congrats on your first 50. May your second be not quite so adventuresome.

Thanks Mark, the toughest part was making it to the starting line.

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Outstanding Tim. You definitely had some conditions to deal with. Looking forward to meeting you at JFK.

Thanks Alex and congrats again on the BQ!

@Seth Harrison wrote:Congratulations on a very cool accomplishment Tim. The water crossing photos more resemble a boot a camp workout than an ultra. Deciding early on to ditch your goal time was obviously a smart idea, and the only way to go. Yet you still finished 7th overall. Pretty amazing.
Great race report. Wendy's should be a hoot!

Thanks Seth, checkout the videos of the course below.

@nkrichards wrote:I can't believe you started the race let alone finished it! I loved reading about it...running it...maybe not. Laughing

Thanks Nancy, it's Nancy right? I hope so.

Here is some footage of the course that I found on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Apparently this woman was doing the 100, I wonder if she finished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ptzW4JB5k

This is our own Charles Moman the day after the race. This one is fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3h2JW8a_yA

I did a search on youtube and I found a video of myself at the 3 mile mark. It's amazing what you can find, Thanks Susie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8k2tZmC6E

This guy thinks that we had a mile of water per lap. I don't think it was that bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDUGybJROc

T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 pm

OMG, Tim! That first video looks just awful. I'm amazed anyone finished at all....
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 am

Huge accomplishment, Tim! Can't imagine 50 in that muck. I've done some 20K races in Rockford in stuff like that, no where to go but right through it. Great placement, to bad no master's award, you deserve it!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z on Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Congrats on finishing Tim. Very impressive. Especially considering the soggy feet. You seemed to be in good spirits too judging from the pictures - I'd say you will be running that 100 miler before too long.

Any nutrition tips and tricks for the distance? That's what I'm most nervous about - well that and the two big climbs on my course.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Congratulations! Those photos of the water are impressive! It looks so cold. congrats on toughing it out and finishing. I hope Wendy's Ice Age 50 miler goes great!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 am

@Tim C wrote:OMG, Tim! That first video looks just awful. I'm amazed anyone finished at all....

Thanks Tim, After that first water crossing, I thought it was going to be awful but you got used to it and your feet would warm up after a couple minutes. I wonder if my smartwool socks helped with that? I thought the 100 mile finishers was going to be a really short list, since one of my friends, an experienced 100 miler, dropped out after 4 laps.

@fostever wrote:Huge accomplishment, Tim! Can't imagine 50 in that muck. I've done some 20K races in Rockford in stuff like that, no where to go but right through it. Great placement, to bad no master's award, you deserve it!

Thanks Steven, in many ways the muck was worse than the water crossings. It seems that you could just run around the water holes but in many cases there just wasn't a good way around.

@Ben Z wrote:Congrats on finishing Tim. Very impressive. Especially considering the soggy feet. You seemed to be in good spirits too judging from the pictures - I'd say you will be running that 100 miler before too long.

Any nutrition tips and tricks for the distance? That's what I'm most nervous about - well that and the two big climbs on my course.

Thanks Ben, The suggestions that I've received are all over the map with respect to nutrition. Some say to eat and eat often while others say eat just enough to keep the fire burning. My plan was to eat early and eat often. I figured that I needed to consume 3000 calories during the course of the race. On my 3 loop course that meant that I had to consume about 1000 calories per lap. or like 100 calories every couple miles. I think I was more or less on that schedule for the first lap. During the second lap I consumed 1/2 of a pb&j at each aid station and filled my bottle with gatorade. During the last lap I couldn't handle the thought of having anything sweet so I stuck with boiled potatoes dipped in salt. I took 2 endurolites on each of the first 2 laps. The aid stations had lots of other stuff like m&ms, pretzels, gummy bears, oranges, bananas, hot chocolate, hot soup, cookies, etc... I did have a number of orange wedges during the second and third lap and they tasted so good. I think fruit is always a good choice.

My suggestion with respect to the climbs would be to walk the climbs or a percentage of the climbs early so that you're not reduced to walking them late.

@Julie wrote:Congratulations! Those photos of the water are impressive! It looks so cold. congrats on toughing it out and finishing. I hope Wendy's Ice Age 50 miler goes great!

Thanks Julie, The water was cold but overall I wasn't cold at all. Wendy's race won't be flooded but it could be muddy if they get a significant amount of rain.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z on Thu May 02, 2013 11:54 am

I definitely need to get better about eating more on long runs. So far I've stuck with gels, Gatorade and electrolyte tablets but I know that is not going to cut it on race day.

I also need to slow down on my runs over 20 miles. So far I've done everything at typical marathon long run pace for me. No way I am going to be able to sustain that kind of pace for the majority of 50 miles so I better start practicing.

Thanks for the input Tim.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Thu May 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Great job Tim!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm

@Ben Z wrote:I definitely need to get better about eating more on long runs. So far I've stuck with gels, Gatorade and electrolyte tablets but I know that is not going to cut it on race day.

I think there are 2 things that you need to practice. First you need to practice running low on glycogen so that your body learns to burn fat more efficiently. Secondly, you need to practice eating foods to experiment with the types of food that you can handle. I know a guy that does 100 milers and his limiting factor is his ability to keep food down in the later stages of the race.

I also need to slow down on my runs over 20 miles. So far I've done everything at typical marathon long run pace for me. No way I am going to be able to sustain that kind of pace for the majority of 50 miles so I better start practicing.

I think you really need to be in tune with your body and learn to limit your effort level so you don't overly tax your system in the early stages of the race. Don't get caught up trying to run with someone else if puts you out of your zone.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman on Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Great achievement in those conditions. I just cannot imagine doing that; maybe it would be physically possible, but I can't see myself having the necessary moral fibre. I love the way your expression changes according to the water level!
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I always enjoy and just simply marvel at ultra race reports and this one was a great one. I'm just amazed that you would put yourself through that. You look so happy and like you are having fun in so many of the pictures. You are made of some tough and crazy stuff!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman on Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Congrats Tim! Your first 50 miler is such a big accomplishment - and is those wet, cold conditions. yikes. Great mental toughness! I heard from a few of my friends dropped from the 100 b/c of hypothermia type stuff.
Kudos for sticking it out!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:Great job Tim!

Thanks Jim!

@Chris Coleman wrote:Great achievement in those conditions. I just cannot imagine doing that; maybe it would be physically possible, but I can't see myself having the necessary moral fibre. I love the way your expression changes according to the water level!

Interesting observation, I don't care for my expression much when I'm in the water. Smile

@Chris M wrote:I always enjoy and just simply marvel at ultra race reports and this one was a great one. I'm just amazed that you would put yourself through that. You look so happy and like you are having fun in so many of the pictures. You are made of some tough and crazy stuff!

Thanks Chris. You know I used to think it was crazy too but it was a nice break from the intensity of marathon training/racing and I got to enjoy the thing I love for nearly 9 hours.

@wrichman wrote:Congrats Tim! Your first 50 miler is such a big accomplishment - and is those wet, cold conditions. yikes. Great mental toughness! I heard from a few of my friends dropped from the 100 b/c of hypothermia type stuff.

Thanks Whitney. Hey, do you know Brandt? We ran together for quite a bit of time and he said that he runs with New Leaf and that you've run together on at least 1 occasion. I can't wait to put this experience to use in the next one.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman on Fri May 03, 2013 10:32 am

@wrichman wrote:Congrats Tim! Your first 50 miler is such a big accomplishment - and is those wet, cold conditions. yikes. Great mental toughness! I heard from a few of my friends dropped from the 100 b/c of hypothermia type stuff.

Thanks Whitney. Hey, do you know Brandt? We ran together for quite a bit of time and he said that he runs with New Leaf and that you've run together on at least 1 occasion. I can't wait to put this experience to use in the next one.
[/quote]

Yes! We've run together once or twice. It was his first 100 - apparently he was doing pretty good until the last loop and had to sit in an ambulance for 1 hour due to hypothermia or the like. He finished in 20 1/2 hrs. I think. He just started ultras last year, and is running really well.
I love that this race got you excited for the next one Smile
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sun May 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Tim, that was a great report, and congratulations on your first 50. It's really good you were able to adjust your attitude once you realized how bad the conditions were. Really a great job at the race. I can't imagine you running that slow miles, I doubt any of your training miles were that slow, that's more my speed.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next