365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 16 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 am

Julie, sorry you have a cold. So typical though, during taper! I can't believe your marathon is almost here!

And this weather--we went from summer to fall just like that!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 16 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 am

Nice job on the 16 Julie. Just hang on you're almost there.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Taper madness begins...everyone thinks that they are getting sick when it hits. Break out the hand sanitizer and vitamin C.

It's all downhill from here Julie!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Take care of yourself, Julie! And have a good taper (we are here if you need us).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:57 am

Better to be sick now than in the last few days before the race. LOTS of water, LOTS of rest, and you'll be back on your feet (pun intended) in no time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:14 am

Peg Coover wrote:Julie, sorry you have a cold. So typical though, during taper! I can't believe your marathon is almost here!

And this weather--we went from summer to fall just like that!

I am loving the weather! Thanks Peg!

Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice job on the 16 Julie. Just hang on you're almost there.

Thanks Alex

Nick Morris wrote:Taper madness begins...everyone thinks that they are getting sick when it hits. Break out the hand sanitizer and vitamin C.

It's all downhill from here Julie!!!

Yeah it's not all in my head but you're right. I think most marathons I get sick right before. Probably my body's way of giving my knees a break.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Take care of yourself, Julie! And have a good taper (we are here if you need us).

Oh goodness, I need you all, Michele. I am going crazy.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Better to be sick now than in the last few days before the race. LOTS of water, LOTS of rest, and you'll be back on your feet (pun intended) in no time.

Thanks Mike!

Actually feel quite a bit better today. Yesterday was a zero energy day, wore myself out just doing little things around the house. Still sneezing quite a bit but felt really good for my 6 mile run this a.m. It was in the lower 50s, I think, and I should have just worn short sleeved shirt but had a long sleeved one out (that I wanted to wear yesterday in the 40s but didn't run). It felt good the first mile then got a bit warm. But I am not complaining.

Still checking the 10 day forecast, looks pretty good. Probably pretty average, lows 50s, high around 70. Of course the marathon is more than 10 days away and anything can happen.

My knees felt pretty good the first 3-4 miles then a little sore towards the end but nothing too bad. I think the taper will keep improving them and hopefully end up in good shape for the race. Hopefully all goes well, but even if I don't PR, I"ll get another state for my 50 states goal and just have 37 more after this. (just...ha ha).

Not giving up on the PR right now but I am trying not to get too down if everything doesn't go as well as it could. I have seen friends get so angry and crabby when they didn't meet their goals and I can see that when you put so much effort into it, but realistically, I'm not going for even an age group award it's just my own personal goal and the world will not end if I don't make my time goal. (Keep telling myself that).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am

That last paragraph of concession is the taper speaking. Ignore the doubts and the momentary lapses in confidence. You've got this.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

Good to hear that you were feeling up to a run.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 am

People get crabby moody and downright angry when they don't meet there goals because they have become attached to that goal. The present moment is never a let down. You can not be unhappy when living in the present it is when you time travel that sorrow comes into play. Instead just prefer to run x time.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:That last paragraph of concession is the taper speaking. Ignore the doubts and the momentary lapses in confidence. You've got this.

Yeah, I think you are right. Thanks Mike.

Jim Lentz wrote:Good to hear that you were feeling up to a run.

Thanks Jim. My husband was sneezing last night too so I know it wasn't all in my head but I went from no energy yesterday to feeling almost normal today so it was a short lived thing.

Kenny B. wrote:People get crabby moody and downright angry when they don't meet there goals because they have become attached to that goal. The present moment is never a let down. You can not be unhappy when living in the present it is when you time travel that sorrow comes into play. Instead just prefer to run x time.

Yeah. I don't want to get all crazy about this because running is so great and I do love it no matter what my finish time is.

Tomorrow is a jogging stroller run since I have a 7 a.m. dentist appt. How fun.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Ha, Mike is 100% right about taper talking and having you doubting a PR. I think every one of us goes through the "Did I do enough, am I really in that kind of shape?" stuff during the last few weeks. Hang in there, it's almost here!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

mul21 wrote:Ha, Mike is 100% right about taper talking and having you doubting a PR. I think every one of us goes through the "Did I do enough, am I really in that kind of shape?" stuff during the last few weeks. Hang in there, it's almost here!

Yup, it happens...but all of us have faith in you and know that you have put in a great training cycle. The results will be there...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 am

mul21 wrote:Ha, Mike is 100% right about taper talking and having you doubting a PR. I think every one of us goes through the "Did I do enough, am I really in that kind of shape?" stuff during the last few weeks. Hang in there, it's almost here!

I know, I have been through this 12 times before, except this time I have worked harder and have you all to hold me accountable and I just really want to do well!

Nick Morris wrote:

Yup, it happens...but all of us have faith in you and know that you have put in a great training cycle. The results will be there...

Thanks Nick. The weather is still looking average. Tomorrow Sunday will actually be in the 10 day forecast. And yes, I am going taper-mad

I got back late from my appt and now debating just taking another rest day to try to feel better. Plus my friend asked me to run at 5 tomorrow morning (my fast, 10 minute under BQ friend....) so I am running 8-10 mi with her tomorrow. I'll probably just rest today so I'm in good shape for that. Sunday will just be 12 mi and a few more runs until we head for WI!

Tapering isn't much fun. All those doubts, I wish it were 6 weeks ago when I kept having good runs and hitting my training goals. Now that all seems so far away and I am worrying about silly stuff now.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 am

Ah, another taper madness thread (I just read John's)!
I'm glad to see that your knee is not the major source of concern any longer. You're right, the taper will work it's magic and give the knee any added rest it may need so that it's feeling good for the marathon.
You're almost there!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks Seth! My knee is basically better as far as I can tell, just my brain driving me up the wall.

Today was a good 10 mile run with my friend. Already plotting and scheming for OK City Marathon late April next year. We'll see.

Tomorrow probably just 4-5 miles easy and then 12 on Sunday.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am

Looking good Julie. I know what your saying about the doubts and such as I'm there now too. We just need the race here.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Yeah I am getting fairly focused (obsessed?) just wanting race day to come and it's hard to think about much else, although this has been a big goal and a pretty big focus of my summer. I think it's understandable. I'm not neglecting life tasks or anything, but man, this date is stuck in my head and the first thing I did on the computer today was check the 10 day forecast for Appleton because I knew it would be the 10th day. Yikes!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 am

Julie...weather is turning back around...only a 10% chance of rain, so no worries there. Low in the lower 50s and high around 70...Looking good!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Keep it together, girl - you will rock it soon!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:57 pm

I have no doubt that you will show up well in Appleton! You've got this, simply trust your training and get to the starting line.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Julie, whatever doubts you had, just remember and think about your 13 mile pace run. You nailed that thing (wait, it was 14, right?). Your training miles have been high, taper is going well, the weather seems like it will cooperate, things are going your way. Remember brain training - your brain knows what is coming and it is trying to put doubts in your mind to keep you from overextending yourself! Just tell it to stop and concentrate on how good it will feel when you are done.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm there - I think Julie and I are in parallel universes right now!

Julie wrote:I know, I have been through this 12 times before, except this time I have worked harder and have you all to hold me accountable and I just really want to do well!
You've worked really hard - I am rooting for you!

Nick Morris wrote:Yup, it happens...but all of us have faith in you and know that you have put in a great training cycle. The results will be there...
I agree - I think you'll have a great race, but even if the sky falls, you've done a great job to get where you are!

Julie wrote:Yeah I am getting fairly focused (obsessed?) just wanting race day to come and it's hard to think about much else, although this has been a big goal and a pretty big focus of my summer. I think it's understandable. I'm not neglecting life tasks or anything, but man, this date is stuck in my head and the first thing I did on the computer today was check the 10 day forecast for Appleton because I knew it would be the 10th day. Yikes!!
I understand the obsessed thing completely! It is almost here.

jon c wrote:I have no doubt that you will show up well in Appleton! You've got this, simply trust your training and get to the starting line.
Yeah, that!

Recent runs have gone well - you are going to kick butt!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Julie...weather is turning back around...only a 10% chance of rain, so no worries there. Low in the lower 50s and high around 70...Looking good!!!

Thanks Nick! I think either way, the weather isn't going to be a huge deal, nothing too extreme and we've been training in really hot weather all summer so we're good. Rain actually really doesn't worry me. I ran Twin Cities in a down pour the first 14-15 miles 3 yrs ago and it wasn't fun but nicer than the heat and humidity I had in Ft Worth this Feb. I'm thinking sleeveless shirt either way and probably not even need a toss shirt.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Keep it together, girl - you will rock it soon!

Thanks Michele! I'm ready for it to be done.

jon c wrote:I have no doubt that you will show up well in Appleton! You've got this, simply trust your training and get to the starting line.

Thanks Jon!!

JohnP wrote:Julie, whatever doubts you had, just remember and think about your 13 mile pace run. You nailed that thing (wait, it was 14, right?). Your training miles have been high, taper is going well, the weather seems like it will cooperate, things are going your way. Remember brain training - your brain knows what is coming and it is trying to put doubts in your mind to keep you from overextending yourself! Just tell it to stop and concentrate on how good it will feel when you are done.

14 mile pace run. I thought I was going to die or something and told myself "Jerry says don't be chicken droppings" about 30x. Very Happy Thanks! The training was good....now it's over and I'm freaking out a little.

John Kilpatrick wrote:
I'm there - I think Julie and I are in parallel universes right now!

Julie wrote:I know, I have been through this 12 times before, except this time I have worked harder and have you all to hold me accountable and I just really want to do well!
You've worked really hard - I am rooting for you!

Nick Morris wrote:Yup, it happens...but all of us have faith in you and know that you have put in a great training cycle. The results will be there...
I agree - I think you'll have a great race, but even if the sky falls, you've done a great job to get where you are!

Julie wrote:Yeah I am getting fairly focused (obsessed?) just wanting race day to come and it's hard to think about much else, although this has been a big goal and a pretty big focus of my summer. I think it's understandable. I'm not neglecting life tasks or anything, but man, this date is stuck in my head and the first thing I did on the computer today was check the 10 day forecast for Appleton because I knew it would be the 10th day. Yikes!!
I understand the obsessed thing completely! It is almost here.

Yeah, that!

Recent runs have gone well - you are going to kick butt!

Thanks John! I really am looking forward to your race because your training has been awesome and I can imagine you still have room to improve (although you're a ton faster than I am, I already think you're quite fast) but just because you haven't been in it for years, I bet you'll surprise yourself over the next few yrs.

Today was just 4 miles easy. Felt fine, really....tomorrow is 12 miles with a friend who's running Hawaii marathon (Maui I think) on the 18th. We won't go too fast....

I am plotting and scheming for my last week because I need to re-arrange things, I think, but I will consult you all tomorrow or whenever I have the time. Just a problem with running Friday a.m. before we leave because I know it's going to be chaotic trying to pack everything. Then Saturday do I run 4 miles in Appleton although I have no idea where anything is in that town? I could run Thurs pm instead of Fri a.m. (not a double, just otherwise rest on Thurs). I'll write it all out clearer tomorrow.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:34 am

Taper silliness! You are going to be awesome!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks Peg! I hope so.

Today was 12 miles but I hate to say this but I did have some really deep knee soreness/pain. I am genuinely nervous about this race and just want to get my knee all taken care of. I am resting tomorrow for sure and will probably not run much this week but don't want to over do the resting, either..
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next