365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 20 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Julie Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks Alex, I should let this blog die but I at least wanted to say thanks. I'm doing better mentally and at least have gotten a couple of easy, short runs in.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 20 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Alex, I should let this blog die but I at least wanted to say thanks. I'm doing better mentally and at least have gotten a couple of easy, short runs in.

What happened to taking a break to heal up??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Julie wrote:Thanks Alex, I should let this blog die but I at least wanted to say thanks. I'm doing better mentally and at least have gotten a couple of easy, short runs in.

What happened to taking a break to heal up??

Mon, Tues, Wed.

Thurs 3 with jogging stroller aka easy
Fri 5. which is short.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:39 pm

It looks like you're recovering nicely (both mentally and physically) Julie. I'm glad to see it, and I'm glad to see you're already thinking about future PR's. There's nothing you can do about a tough day except learn from it and put the it in the rear view mirror.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Do you have any conclusion on your knee, what caused the problem? I do tend to think that 4 marathons in a year, especially if you didn't take some recovery time afterwards (like 3-4 weeks of just easy runs) could bring on some problems. The most I ever did was 5 in one elapsed year. I think that it was stressful on my joints but in the end, it wound up strengthening them. But to do PR times, I do feel you have to limit yourself to two marathons a year. You can do more if you just do the others for fun.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:09 am

Seth Harrison wrote:It looks like you're recovering nicely (both mentally and physically) Julie. I'm glad to see it, and I'm glad to see you're already thinking about future PR's. There's nothing you can do about a tough day except learn from it and put the it in the rear view mirror.

Thanks Seth. Definitely moving on and probably learning a thing or two from this experience, too.

JohnP wrote:Do you have any conclusion on your knee, what caused the problem? I do tend to think that 4 marathons in a year, especially if you didn't take some recovery time afterwards (like 3-4 weeks of just easy runs) could bring on some problems. The most I ever did was 5 in one elapsed year. I think that it was stressful on my joints but in the end, it wound up strengthening them. But to do PR times, I do feel you have to limit yourself to two marathons a year. You can do more if you just do the others for fun.

I'm not sure, I assume just over-use but for as sore as my left knee and hip (that was new, no hip pain since Fargo marathon recovery in May) were during the marathon, they felt OK yesterday. Not perfect but no real sharp or intense pain. I did have a pretty long break between marathons since Fargo and Fox Cities were 4 mos apart but I am thinking maybe 2 a year is enough anyway. I am running out of close states for my 50 states goal, the only one in one-day driving distance in Oklahoma and anything else is going to be a couple day drive or something I'll fly to alone.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Is it related to your IT band?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:12 pm

no, it's both knees in the meniscus area...I don't know what the cure is. My PT friend said quad strengthening but that is more of a long-term preventative idea. I guess I need to keep taking it easy and definitely laying off the speed work for awhile.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Julie wrote: I did have a pretty long break between marathons since Fargo and Fox Cities were 4 mos apart but I am thinking maybe 2 a year is enough anyway.

I need a 2 year break from marathons...Alas, I'm already signed up for 4 (November-->April Very Happy )

The last 4 miles of my last marathon traumatized me, so I haven't run one in about a year.

Good luck on your 50 states journey. Not working toward a 50 state goal, but by April I will have 5 states, maybe when I get to 10 that might become a long term goal.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Gobbles wrote:
Julie wrote: I did have a pretty long break between marathons since Fargo and Fox Cities were 4 mos apart but I am thinking maybe 2 a year is enough anyway.

I need a 2 year break from marathons...Alas, I'm already signed up for 4 (November-->April Very Happy )

The last 4 miles of my last marathon traumatized me, so I haven't run one in about a year.

Good luck on your 50 states journey. Not working toward a 50 state goal, but by April I will have 5 states, maybe when I get to 10 that might become a long term goal.

Maybe after April take a break? Very Happy

I think the last 4 miles of most marathons are at least difficult if not traumatic, but good to see you getting back into them!

I run with mostly 50 staters so they made the goal seem so normal. Now I am wondering about all the travel and quite frankly expense of this goal!

Today was 6 miles GA. Felt much better than yesterday. Kind of enjoying not having a race on the agenda but I'm sure soon it will make me antsy.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Julie the marathon I did yesterday while very small actually had a bunch of 50 staters. It's a nice NH marathon if you get to that state at some point.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Alex, since you mentioned that I just looked up my friend who's finishing his 3rd time of 50 states and sure enough, he ran it this weekend! I feel weird I didn't put together that you were both running that race.....so there he is, came in 1/4 in his age group (he's 72) 5:05. I'll have to ask him how it went later this week! I will get to NH one of these years. I think most of my farther away states are going to have to wait until kids are older but it's always good to have ideas for which ones are good.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20