365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 8 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 pm

trust your training and when you taper you will be going into the race with fresh legs and everything will click from that point on.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 8 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Patience is the key Julie. It will all come together in the end. Have you ever read Nancy's "Sports Nutrition Guidebook"? It's very informative...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm

I agree with everyone that your training is looking really good. I also agree with Alex to be careful of eating too little. If you feel like you want to you can do the weight loss thing anytime, but right now you've got to feed the machine! Keep up the good work.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 am

Great running Julie, but be careful out there!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 am

Julie, the nerves are totally normal, but it looks like your training has been strong, which means you're doing everything you can do to be ready on race day. You'll be great!
As for the calories, I hope you're not getting too caught up in counting. At this point in your training (peak mileage weeks), you'll have a hard time just consuming enough calories to account for the ones you're burning.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, sometimes I wonder how am I going to be able to maintain the pace over the distance, but remember when you do the race you'll have tapered. Right now you're on tired legs in the middle of training.

Be careful of eating too little. Give the body what it needs for the training.

Thanks Alex, yeah right now I'm in the thick of training and tired. I'm not eating too little but would like to find some nice happy medium where I can lose at least something while keeping up my running.

Jim Lentz wrote:It's normal to get nervous about a marathon goal time. I find that helps motivate me with training and is part of the excitement I feel before the race starts. It is all looking good, Julie.

Thanks Jim! Hopefully everything comes together and we have great weather for the race, too.

Kenny B. wrote:trust your training and when you taper you will be going into the race with fresh legs and everything will click from that point on.

Thanks Kenny

Nick Morris wrote:Patience is the key Julie. It will all come together in the end. Have you ever read Nancy's "Sports Nutrition Guidebook"? It's very informative...

Thanks Nick, yes I have her book and have read it quite a few times. I am trying to follow her guidelines, too. I think my problem is black/white all/nothing thinking and I get frustrated trying to make a very small dent in calories because it seems then like I'm not getting anywhere but I do know from experience that if I cut too many calories eventually my running and sleeping suffers and it's really not worth it. Thanks for the reminder. Very Happy

John Kilpatrick wrote:I agree with everyone that your training is looking really good. I also agree with Alex to be careful of eating too little. If you feel like you want to you can do the weight loss thing anytime, but right now you've got to feed the machine! Keep up the good work.

Thanks John, yeah I think my problem is I am almost constantly marathon training so I don't really have a break where I put wt loss first and running second. Maybe after this race but I really wanted to race at at least a somewhat lower wt.

Peg Coover wrote:Great running Julie, but be careful out there!

Thanks Peg, how about those t-storms?

Seth Harrison wrote:Julie, the nerves are totally normal, but it looks like your training has been strong, which means you're doing everything you can do to be ready on race day. You'll be great!
As for the calories, I hope you're not getting too caught up in counting. At this point in your training (peak mileage weeks), you'll have a hard time just consuming enough calories to account for the ones you're burning.

Thanks Seth! Yeah I do eat when I'm hungry and even though it's a lot of food I don't usually get too low...which is why I'm stuck at the same wt all the time.

Today there were t-storms again but they moved out in time for me to get 6 easy miles in before I had to go to work for a quick meeting/training session. My legs do feel tired but I read in Running Times this morning that the prescription for tired legs is long slower runs. Good thing because I'm supposed to run 12 miles tomorrow, not speed or anything just medium long run of 12 miles. I'm hoping the weather is OK again. Just t-storms in the forecast the last few days and next few days. Not nearly as hot today but still quite humid.

My strategy for beating the heat was getting 8" of hair cut off. I know that doesn't work for everyone but it does feel better and I got to donate it for women who have lost their hair in cancer tx.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:45 am

Seth Harrison wrote:Julie, the nerves are totally normal, but it looks like your training has been strong, which means you're doing everything you can do to be ready on race day. You'll be great!

I agree with Seth Julie that your training has been awesome and you are putting in the work. That is all you can do to get yourself ready for a race, put in the work and use that as your confidence builder. As for the nerves yep it is normal, there has not yet been a race I have run were I wasn't nervous. the key is to take that nervous energy and channel into positive energy come race day. You will do just great come race day.

"My strategy for beating the heat was getting 8" of hair cut off. I know that doesn't work for everyone"

Sure do wish I could grow 8" of hair to cut off. lol!

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Julie wrote: My legs do feel tired but I read in Running Times this morning that the prescription for tired legs is long slower runs. Good thing because I'm supposed to run 12 miles tomorrow, not speed or anything just medium long run of 12 miles.

We'll both be going slow and long tomorrow on tired legs so lets hope the article is true. Nice job on the six and have fun tomorrow. Smile

Schuey wrote:"My strategy for beating the heat was getting 8" of hair cut off. I know that doesn't work for everyone"

Yeah no kidding huh. Very Happy
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:01 pm

That's awesome about donating the hair!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 pm

If the thunderstorms are anything like here, then they will be scattered and hopefully you will be able to get in your fulll 12 without encountering any lightning. That's really the only I worry about when running in the rain. I did 18 miles in a terrential downpour last year. Lots of thunder, but really not much lightning.

My mother has actually donated her hair 2 or 3 times. I think that is an awesome thing to do.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Julie wrote:Tracking everything I eat, goal is 2000 calories, and trying to follow Nancy Clark's advice and not go much lower than that. I can go lower for a few days and then I get really hungry and eat more anyway and I can't keep up with my running eating too little anyway. I think I just get impatient and want a quick fix and to lose wt fast but I know that's not really a long term smart solution.

Julie, great job on knocking out your runs. I'm still so impressed at the time you get up and out the door! That will be my goal one of these days!

As for the getting impatient and wanting a quick fix....I'm right there with you. That's why I joined FitClick; to keep myself accountable and do so in a smart way. You do not want to eat too little, especially with all of the running you're doing - you just won't have the energy! You'll get there, and when you do, all of the hard work you've been putting in and continue to put in will pay off. BTW, love the pic of your daughter stretching. She's TOO CUTE!!!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 am

Schuey wrote:

I agree with Seth Julie that your training has been awesome and you are putting in the work. That is all you can do to get yourself ready for a race, put in the work and use that as your confidence builder. As for the nerves yep it is normal, there has not yet been a race I have run were I wasn't nervous. the key is to take that nervous energy and channel into positive energy come race day. You will do just great come race day.

"My strategy for beating the heat was getting 8" of hair cut off. I know that doesn't work for everyone"

Yeah I honestly don't think I could be training any harder/smarter than I am right now given the time I have to allocate to running. I know everyone is busy and I have more time than some but seriously I'm not going over 70 miles/week. I just don't have the base for it I don't think and I am doing a pretty careful job of following this training program. So far, I don't have any regrets for my actual training, I'm just wondering how big of a time jump I should be expecting from what I ran Lincoln Marathon in May. I feel like I am in better shape somewhat but it is a 8 minute difference?

Haha, be glad you don't have long hair year-around because seriously it is not very fun in the heat.

Alex Kubacki wrote:
Julie wrote: My legs do feel tired but I read in Running Times this morning that the prescription for tired legs is long slower runs. Good thing because I'm supposed to run 12 miles tomorrow, not speed or anything just medium long run of 12 miles.

We'll both be going slow and long tomorrow on tired legs so lets hope the article is true. Nice job on the six and have fun tomorrow. Smile

Schuey wrote:"My strategy for beating the heat was getting 8" of hair cut off. I know that doesn't work for everyone"

Yeah no kidding huh. Very Happy

I hope your run goes well this weekend. My legs actually felt better this morning than they did yesterday so maybe it wasn't a bad idea.

Peg Coover wrote:That's awesome about donating the hair!

Thanks Peg! One of my running friend's co-worker just lost all her hair in cancer tx and motivated me to give to this organization instead of locks of love which I did Feb '10.

Nick Morris wrote:If the thunderstorms are anything like here, then they will be scattered and hopefully you will be able to get in your fulll 12 without encountering any lightning. That's really the only I worry about when running in the rain. I did 18 miles in a terrential downpour last year. Lots of thunder, but really not much lightning.

My mother has actually donated her hair 2 or 3 times. I think that is an awesome thing to do.

Thanks Nick, yeah they are usually scattered. No lightning either way this morning. I have no idea where they went. I think just pushed back to around noon today. I don't know if it's just my imagination but it seems like most of our storms occur during the early mornings just when I want to run.

Well I can't donate blood (I technically could but they don't want it because it's too hard to get out and my veins like to collapse and everything else) so I go the hair route. Very Happy

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Julie wrote:Tracking everything I eat, goal is 2000 calories, and trying to follow Nancy Clark's advice and not go much lower than that. I can go lower for a few days and then I get really hungry and eat more anyway and I can't keep up with my running eating too little anyway. I think I just get impatient and want a quick fix and to lose wt fast but I know that's not really a long term smart solution.

Julie, great job on knocking out your runs. I'm still so impressed at the time you get up and out the door! That will be my goal one of these days!

As for the getting impatient and wanting a quick fix....I'm right there with you. That's why I joined FitClick; to keep myself accountable and do so in a smart way. You do not want to eat too little, especially with all of the running you're doing - you just won't have the energy! You'll get there, and when you do, all of the hard work you've been putting in and continue to put in will pay off. BTW, love the pic of your daughter stretching. She's TOO CUTE!!!

Well Lisa, I am not staying up until 10 or 11 pm either. Last night I was in bed shortly after 9 pm. My problem with wt. especially is I kind of freak out with a few pounds of water wt gain and then I start to worry that I'm really gaining wt. But then yesterday I ate well, enough, but not too much and I lost 2 lbs that were obviously mostly or all water but still feel better about the whole thing.

Thanks for the photo comment, she has definitely captured my heart. This morning when I got home from my run she said "mommy is all sweaty, she needs to take a bath."

12 miles pretty easy pace this morning, plenty of water breaks and I didn't push the pace much. 77 degrees, 90% humidity. My legs didn't feel quite as tired as yesterday. Tomorrow should be 5 mi recovery and then 20 mi Sunday. Still supposed to be quite humid the next few days. As long as I get those 2 runs in, I will hit a new high mileage for a week, 68. Before I started this training cycle I think my high week was 60 unless it was a fluke some week when I ran 2 long runs within the same week if one got moved to Sat from Sun....not an actual week that long though with only one weekend long run. So far feeling good though. 7 more weeks and we should be on the road to Wisconsin!

Oh and this isn't related to running but for those of you who travel to marathons (or whatever vacation), if you use Groupon or don't and want to....I signed up for Fox Cities Groupon on top of my own city and I've already purchased a few coupons for 2 meals while we're up there half price. Not trying to market it or anything but I'm pretty into saving money and I was excited to get a few good deals before we head up there and have to pay full price for too much. If you want to sign up let me know and I'll give you a link.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 am

I use Groupon too, just bought a coupon for a dinner for two, with two margaritas plus crushed avacado for $25. It truly was a fantastic meal.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:27 am

Yeah I'm glad to save on some meals while we're away since we normally don't eat out. I'll pack a cooler for lunch on the way up , too.

Today was supposed to be 5 mi recovery but last night my Achilles started hurting. It didn't hurt during the run but since I haven't taken a rest day this week yet anyway I thought it would be wiser to just take one today so I'm ready for my 20 tomorrow.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:27 am

Julie wrote:Yeah I'm glad to save on some meals while we're away since we normally don't eat out. I'll pack a cooler for lunch on the way up , too.

Today was supposed to be 5 mi recovery but last night my Achilles started hurting. It didn't hurt during the run but since I haven't taken a rest day this week yet anyway I thought it would be wiser to just take one today so I'm ready for my 20 tomorrow.

Yes, rest it. I would also massage it out going up to the bottom of your calf I usually just use my thumb and index finger and sort of pinch it as i go up the achilles to the calf. You may feel a bit of breaking up or cracking that is good IMO.

Be careful with that Achilles it is a SOB.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 am

One summer I had a heel issue, which I thought was achilles related, and I found a stretch for the soleus muscle that got me through it. Sitting on the floor, sore leg is bent with knee up, but not bent too much--less than 90, are actually maybe I should say, greater than 90 degrees. Pull your toes toward your knee and hold gently. If you bend too much the soleus isn't the muscle getting stretched. A doctor had replied to a question I posted about my pain, giving me a link for this stretch, but I didn't take the time to try to find the link again.

I do this stretch now every time I stretch.

I hope your rest day helps!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks Kenny and Peg!

I could feel my Achilles for most of the day, I do quite a bit of walking at work. But I have been rubbing it. I hope it cooperates tomorrow for my 20 miler in 97% humidity! Woo hoo!!

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 8 July282011003

My little pumpkin stretching...
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:44 pm

That photo is just too funny! I guess she's been watching her mom pretty closely.
Good luck tomorrow!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks Seth! Yes she learned from watching Mommy.

20 miler is done! It was not fast, it was 97% humidity or around there at the start, upper 70s, now 82 and down to 77% humidity feels like 88 and mostly sunny. So all things considered, I'm glad I toughed it out and finished it. I made the mistake of baking scones last night and they didn't sit well at all so between bathroom problems (thank you nice gas station people!) and the heat, it wasn't exactly my favorite long run of my life.

I ran with my friend Diane who is running Hawaii the same day I run Fox Cities so she also wanted to run 20. It was nice to have someone to motivate me to keep going and to also brainstorm shadier routes towards the end.

My Achilles didn't bother me one bit so maybe it wasn't a big deal. I didn't feel injured at all just tired. I drank 4 big bottles of water (16 oz?) and still lost 4 lbs by the time I was home. I was just dripping wet. Gross.

Glad to be home drinking orange juice. My daughter said "that was big training!" another long run is done. The next 3 weeks call for 17 milers and then another 20 before tapering.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Woohoo!!!!! Yeah Julie!!!!!!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:27 pm

Way to go Julie! I'm kind of dreading the 19 on Wednesday.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Good job on getting the 20 knocked out and good stretching technique by the little one! Three more long runs and then taper-time - exciting!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:44 am

Julie you're continuing with the great training. Now that it's August you can officially say the race is next month. You'll be ready to blow away your PR.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 am

I agree with the others who are saying that you have an excellent shot at knocking your time down with the work you are putting in. I understand about the nervousness. It's something that I have never really gotten over either after all these years. It is irrational to some degree but I think we put more pressure on ourselves sometimes than we need to. Speaking for myself mostly anyway.

Hopefully the humidity will let up soon. Sounds like after the next couple days it won't be quite so hot.

Keep up the good work!!

Gotta love how kids imitate us. It's cute at your daughters age. As Hannah has gotten older she routinely calls me out on the things she sees me do. And it's only just begun.....Laughing
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Woohoo!!!!! Yeah Julie!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Michele!

Peg Coover wrote:Way to go Julie! I'm kind of dreading the 19 on Wednesday.

Thanks Peg, I think it should be slightly cooler on Wed but chance of t-storms start up again.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good job on getting the 20 knocked out and good stretching technique by the little one! Three more long runs and then taper-time - exciting!

Thanks John! She loves imitating me...like washing blinds and windows today with her spray bottle of water.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie you're continuing with the great training. Now that it's August you can officially say the race is next month. You'll be ready to blow away your PR.

Thanks Alex! Wow, next month! I am started to look forward to it.

jon c wrote:I agree with the others who are saying that you have an excellent shot at knocking your time down with the work you are putting in. I understand about the nervousness. It's something that I have never really gotten over either after all these years. It is irrational to some degree but I think we put more pressure on ourselves sometimes than we need to. Speaking for myself mostly anyway.

Hopefully the humidity will let up soon. Sounds like after the next couple days it won't be quite so hot.

Keep up the good work!!

Gotta love how kids imitate us. It's cute at your daughters age. As Hannah has gotten older she routinely calls me out on the things she sees me do. And it's only just begun.....Laughing

Yeah she now tells me to put the kitty in time out for scratching. How fun... Kids are great. Very Happy

Today was a scheduled rest day and I decided to take it. Tomorrow half mile repeats at 5K pace.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next