365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My night trail marathon is almost here

+6
dot520
ounce
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
10 posters

Go down

My night trail marathon is almost here Empty My night trail marathon is almost here

Post  charles.moman Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

This Saturday is my night trail marathon at Eagle Creek Park on the north side of Indy. It sold out and has a total of 500 runners. Both the quarter and half marathon groups are 200+ and then 70 of us doing the full.

They decided to do a wave start - 6:00 PM - quarter, 6:10 - half and 6:20 - full with a 2:00 AM cutoff. They will have heated aid stations about every 2 miles or so on the 6.5 route. It will be a little crowded at first with the tight single track in the first mile or so and then it spreads out. I would guess by 10 PM the trails should be pretty empty with the remaining full marathoners and that would be me.

It will rain in Indy today & tomorrow, but will be clear through Saturday. So I expect some mud, but it should not be too bad. The temps will probably be low 30's to mid 20's - again, that will be just fine. My goal is to be done around midnight, but we will see. I will use a headlight and my Knucklelights too.

I made a video for Planet Adventure using a bunch of stills to give the runners an idea of the route. Not exciting, but it shows most of the route. Not hilly and not overly technical, so it should be a fun night. We made a video stabilizer for our Canon Vixia, but we had to move too fast and it was too jumpy to be sped up.

I will post a report on Sunday afternoon. We are staying at a Motel 6 near the race and then will get up and drive to church on Sunday morning so I can play guitar as usual at our church in Columbus. Hopefully I will not have a broken wrist or arm!

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

My night trail marathon is almost here Empty Re: My night trail marathon is almost here

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Have a good run, Charles. Can't wait to hear all about it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My night trail marathon is almost here Empty Re: My night trail marathon is almost here

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Boy, do those trees bring back memories! All you need is a few near-vertical climbs, and it'd be Tecumseh all over again!

And doing it at night should quite the adventure! Bring extra batteries for the headlamp!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Best of luck Charles!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes! Have a good race!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 am

I had checked out the website after one of your last posts and reviewed your video of the course. I've spent a lot of time at Eagle Creek, so it all looked pretty familiar to me. I've been there when it was snow covered by at least 6" and then in the summer. Never with it wet from a recent rain.

Ah, the adventures never stop! Smile Enjoy and I'm really looking forward to your report.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:55 am

Sounds like a fun race. Good luck!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Charles, good luck and have fun! I know we will have an interesting report to read next week.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Sounds pretty wild can't wait to hear about it! Good luck and be careful!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 pm

good luck. Should be a nice temp.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:14 am

I realize that I must be patient, but I'm looking forward to hearing how you did on this, Charles. I love your reports!!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down