365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eating day of night marathon

+2
ounce
Alex Kubacki
6 posters

Go down

Eating day of night marathon Empty Eating day of night marathon

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am

I'm curious from those that have run night marathons as to when and how much they were eating during the day of. I've got a night marathon next Friday and not sure when I should be eating before it. It's only a training marathon so I'm not pushing it or anything but don't need an issues either. Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Eating day of night marathon Empty Re: Eating day of night marathon

Post  ounce Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Qualifying my response by saying I've never run a night marathon, but I have done 20mile runs where I started about 12:30 in the morning. I would say to reverse the day activities by 12 hours. So, breakfast on Friday morning would be a light day-sustaining style meal and lunch would be just enough to say you put something in your stomach.

Good luck with it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 pm

I've never done it but from what I've read, eat a solid breakfast, medium lunch and then light snack before the race.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Julie wrote:I've never done it but from what I've read, eat a solid breakfast, medium lunch and then light snack before the race.

That's what I have heard, as well. I have no experience with it, but it has come up in my running nutrition research.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Would eating too much during the day lead to having to carry "extra weight" and ultimately compromising on performance at night? I guess the only way is to "unload" before the starting time. I'm a morning regular so I never had to deal with too much post-food product in my belly before morning races. I'm curious as to how you'd deal with this.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I'd probably reverse my eating as well, which would basically mean saving my "pre-run" meal of oatmeal and coffee until dinner and eating other things throughout the day. I space my meals/calories pretty evenly, eating a medium-sized meal every 3 hours, so I'd just want to make sure I emptied the pipes before starting the race.

EDIT: But like the adage goes, don't change ANYTHING on race day. Meaning, practice night long runs (and your eating habits during the day of) as much as you can leading up to your race.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down