365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post marathon, how long until quality runs?

+3
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
Jack_Scaff
7 posters

Go down

Post marathon, how long until quality runs? Empty Post marathon, how long until quality runs?

Post  Jack_Scaff Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I guess I'm back in the swing, following Portland on 10/9. Took 2 weeks off, and am slowly getting back into it. I actually had a pretty good run on SAT, so that's exciting.

How long do you take to get back into quality runs, especially if you need to get back into a cycle pretty quickly for another race (mine is in early March).
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post marathon, how long until quality runs? Empty Re: Post marathon, how long until quality runs?

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:54 pm

I reverse taper. Three weeks in, three weeks out, first tentative "quality" workout is usually during the 4th week. Something like a GA-down-to-tempo run, 20-30 minutes + warm up and cool down.

EDIT: I've tried to do some before that, generally on the bike to reduce the possibility of a connective-tissue injury... And my legs/body have let me know when it wasn't the right time yet. Instant fatigue at the slightest hint of effort is a pretty sure sign you need to back off for a little longer.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post marathon, how long until quality runs? Empty Re: Post marathon, how long until quality runs?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 pm

Usually about a month, but this is highly dependent on all sorts of factors from training to race day weather to the course itself. Just listen to your body, Jack and don't overdo.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 pm

I reverse taper as well. But, sometimes I'm a bit burned out mentally and don't to want to crank out the miles until the next cycle actually comes along and therefore I end up averaging about 75% of my normal distance for a few months, so this actually helps in the long-term recovery.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:03 pm

While it all depends on what is next, I think 3-4 before really getting back to hard efforts is a good rule of thumb. I actually think Hal's post-marathon programs may be his best. They do a really nice job of gradually easing back into harder paces and long runs.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:57 pm

Everyone is different in what they can handle but I don't push it until 3-4 weeks post race effort typically as well. That is when I start to feel right again it seems.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm two weeks out from my last marathon and still feel really beat up. So my guess is 3-4 weeks as others are saying. If you didn't really push yourself in the marathon, then you should be able to run faster sooner.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down