365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nike Free Runs: How Long do they Last?

+3
Mark B
Sara Jane
Vivian
7 posters

Go down

Nike Free Runs:  How Long do they Last? Empty Nike Free Runs: How Long do they Last?

Post  Vivian Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:59 pm

I have two pairs of Nike Free Runs of indeterminate mileage and they still feel good. I typically retire shoes after 500 miles but want to know if Frees can go longer.
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Nike Free Runs:  How Long do they Last? Empty Re: Nike Free Runs: How Long do they Last?

Post  Sara Jane Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Wendy (who has worn them much longer than me) claims they last "forever" and get better with age. Her brother and some of his ultra friends have some with 900+ miles that are still going strong.

I don't know what an "expert" would say...and I don't track the mileage of mine...but I don't intend to put them aside until they disintegrate. My oldest ones feel better than my newer ones...

So unless you blow a hole through them (I know Mark has done this) I can't see a reason to stop wearing them.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Nike Free Runs:  How Long do they Last? Empty Re: Nike Free Runs: How Long do they Last?

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:05 pm

I think I've blown a hole in the top of nearly every running shoe I've owned, SJ... but that just adds ventilation. geek

The most miles I've put on a pair of Free Runs was 553 miles - more than 200 miles farther than I'd ever been able to run in traditional running shoes. I might have been able to go longer, but the midsole was compressing in a way that was starting to throw my foot strike off a little. If you've got great biomechanics, I bet you could wear them well beyond 500 miles.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Viv-

I asked my friend whose husband works at Nike what his thoughts might be on the Free and mileage. Doesn't add a lot to the above, but this is what he said:

"We don't like to assign a specific mileage number to how long shoes will last because people wear them so differently and their stride affects the amount of life left in the shoe. That said, if you're able to run all of your mileage in the FREE [I told him that I do, they are the only shoe I wear] then you probably shouldn't have much trouble taking the shoes to 400 miles or so. When you start noticing breakdown in the upper then the midsole has probably been worn down enough to warrant a new pair."
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks. I haven't noticed any break down in my uppers. In fact, in none of my shoes have I ever noticed any breakdown in the uppers. But I always retired them at 500 anyway, some looking almost new. I'll try to go for longer in the Frees.
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:40 pm

I just retired 2 pairs at around 500 miles each, which is about 200 miles more than I normally get out of a pair of shoes (taking into account I'm a heavier runner).

For me, I retired them because I was feeling that they werent as cushiony any more, and was getting some foot pains. Since the new ones, no pains, so I think I was right to put them away at that point.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm

I guess I buy into Ken's method more than Viv's. That is, I don't really believe in "forced retirement"...if they start to not feel as good, retire them. But I am not sure using some magical number will "save" me before it's too late and I will have gone too far.

But then, I don't log shoe miles (I've tried, but it's just one more thing and I decided I'd just go by feel)...

That's my take. I think it's actually nice to hear Nike not try to dictate a number of miles (so as to get you to buy more shoes, they have enough tactics to do that!)
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  scottk Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm

I see a change around 300 miles in the Free Run 2+. And whatever the new upper material is on the Free Run 2 + is, it stinks to high hell beginning around 300 miles. I've gone up to 600 miles on Frees, and to 700 on one pair, but feel the older versions of the Free were way better at lasting than the new ones.

I'm around 300 miles on my current pair, and will use them through the winter, for running in the snow, sleet, slush, etc.

I'm a Nike Free wearer since the 1st generation.
scottk
scottk

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:03 pm

I retired my first two pairs at 519 and 618 miles. I currently have 2 of the Free Run +2 in rotation at 574 and 190.

They don't last as long for me as a heavier shoe such as the Vomero, Lunar Elite, Lunar Swift, etc., but longer than the Lunar Racers.

And even once I retire them, I keep them around to walk around in.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Interestingly, the Frees are the only shoes in my rotation that I don't record mileage. Is this weird? It seems like I'm not the only one. I just write "Frees" in the run description.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down