365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking Away

+38
charles.moman
Dave P
T Miller
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
jon c
Penelope
Ken Mello
JohnP
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Diego
Glenn
ChasMcG
wendy_miller
Neil Ruggiero
Tom H
KathyK
Natalie
Tea from RonItch
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
KBFitz
Schuey
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Michael Mitchell
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
42 posters

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

Go down

Breaking Away - Page 5 Empty Re: Breaking Away

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Joel H wrote:Just wanted to say hi....I have only gone back to beginning of page 4 but it sounds like you are having fun at Niketown and trail running. I can't wait to catch up more.

Hey Joel! Welcome!

Hope you had a great vacation. I suspect you got a great dose of Cascadia weather. cheers
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Big cross-training day today.

Well... yardwork counts, doesn't it?

Alec had a friend over, and we wanted to be around but not hovering... so we decided to finally replenish our mulch/bark in our yard.

Four cubic yards of ground hemlock bark, shoveled, hauled and spread. Whew! Am I going to sleep well tonight. Sleep
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Four yards! Oof. And I thought my ~1 yard of grass removal was tough. Hope you're relaxing with a well-deserved brew.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Hopefully there was a hot bath in your evening events! That is a lot of manual labor that requires muscles that may not have been used for a long, long time. Tomorrow's run ought to help loosen those up!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Four yards! Oof. And I thought my ~1 yard of grass removal was tough. Hope you're relaxing with a well-deserved brew.

Heh. As a matter of fact, Mike, I was! It wasn't particularly hard work... but there was a lot of it.

Tom H wrote:Hopefully there was a hot bath in your evening events! That is a lot of manual labor that requires muscles that may not have been used for a long, long time. Tomorrow's run ought to help loosen those up!

Hey Tom! The muscles were a little sore this morning, but not horribly so. Still, I was pretty fatigued, so I decided to skip this morning's run to recharge my batteries.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 am

Easy Run: About 4 miles

Weather: Overcast, drizzly, muggy. 58 degrees, 92% humidity. Gear: Nike testers, shorts, T, hat. Fuel: Coffee and banana, carried nuun.

I skipped Tuesday's run after a day of heavy yardwork on Monday. I felt less fatigued and sore this morning, so I went out aiming for something in the 3-5 mile range. Four miles ended up feeling about right. I wasn't too sore, but I have a little more recharging to do before my legs feel peppy again. It probably didn't help that it was about 60 degrees with 92% humidity. It wasn't bad enough to be a sweat-fest, but the air did feel heavy.

Still, my legs felt better at the end than at the beginning, and there were several points to where it all felt smooth and natural. That'll do.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 am

Mark B wrote:Easy Run: About 4 miles

Weather: Overcast, drizzly, muggy. 58 degrees, 92% humidity. Gear: Nike testers, shorts, T, hat. Fuel: Coffee and banana, carried nuun.

I skipped Tuesday's run after a day of heavy yardwork on Monday. I felt less fatigued and sore this morning, so I went out aiming for something in the 3-5 mile range. Four miles ended up feeling about right. I wasn't too sore, but I have a little more recharging to do before my legs feel peppy again. It probably didn't help that it was about 60 degrees with 92% humidity. It wasn't bad enough to be a sweat-fest, but the air did feel heavy.

Still, my legs felt better at the end than at the beginning, and there were several points to where it all felt smooth and natural. That'll do.

I find recovery runs sometimes I feel better the last 1-2 miles sort of feel a bit like the tin man at the start!

Good job!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Kenny B. wrote:

I find recovery runs sometimes I feel better the last 1-2 miles sort of feel a bit like the tin man at the start!

Good job!

Thanks, Kenny. I've been finding lately, as I continue to move toward more of a midfoot strike, that the early part of the run is more challenging... but that my body eases into it as the run progresses. There are times when my legs don't want to stop once I hit the end of the run. I consider that a good sign. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Mark B wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Good job!

Thanks, Kenny. I've been finding lately, as I continue to move toward more of a midfoot strike, that the early part of the run is more challenging... but that my body eases into it as the run progresses. There are times when my legs don't want to stop once I hit the end of the run. I consider that a good sign. Smile
Definitely a good sign, Mark.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Mark, I found that during my first few weeks of post-Eugene recovery I got lazy on the midfoot strike and definitely noticed as defined by the increased number of niggles. Furing the Eugene training cycle I thought I had nailed it and made it a part of my normal gait, but not there yet. One thing I found to be very useful in training the midfoot was using the Gamin footpod to count cadence. For me, if I could hit 90 or higher, I was far less likely to be overstriding and heel striking. If I found myself down around 86 or 87, the heel was getting used.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Good job!

Definitely a good sign, Mark.

Thanks, Jim. I have to admit, though, that it feels really odd to not be driving hellbent on some goal (other than getting my body more accustomed to a more midfoot strike). I checked the calendar and was surprised to see that, if I follow a traditional 18-week build-up, I won't have to start "training" for Tecumseh until Aug. 1! Weird.

Tom H wrote:Mark, I found that during my first few weeks of post-Eugene recovery I got lazy on the midfoot strike and definitely noticed as defined by the increased number of niggles. Furing the Eugene training cycle I thought I had nailed it and made it a part of my normal gait, but not there yet. One thing I found to be very useful in training the midfoot was using the Gamin footpod to count cadence. For me, if I could hit 90 or higher, I was far less likely to be overstriding and heel striking. If I found myself down around 86 or 87, the heel was getting used.

Interesting, Tom. I haven't counted my cadence, but I do think that it's picked up a bit. Being on trails helps, because there is just no way you can blunder along, overstriding, with all the roots, rocks and changes in surface you find out there. Every step is different. The sensation seems to carry over to the roads, too, which is a little unexpected.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Easy Run: About 8 miles

Weather: Sunny, cool. 52-56 degrees, 88% humidity. Gear: NEW testers, shorts, shirt. Fuel: Banana and coffee. Carried nuun.

Wow. What a gorgeous morning! The sun was bright. The sky was blue. The grass was golden and ... ah... ah.. ripening in the ... ah... ah... ahh... fields all around ... ah... ah... ACHOO!!

Frikkin' allergies.

Okay, actually, I didn't sneeze. The explosion of drainage would have been spectacular. I did, however, wheeze a bit and flatten a few roadside weeds with a nasal artillery barrage. And my eyes kept watering so much it was a little hard to see. Etc. (Wah, wah, wah.) And this was AFTER taking allergy medicine. Oh well. It'll be nice when the grass just dies and gets it over with.

The run itself got better after a couple of miles. I went out to see Larry and Moe (the llamas) and then headed down Llama Ridge, popped a U-turn (after getting a nice view of a deer across a field) and headed back uphill. Funny thing, I swear the uphills feel easier now than the flats. Weird, but I'll take it. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:56 pm

That weather report sounds amazing! Not the allergies, but the weather! It's finally acting like summer here. I can't complain because I've been complaining about our rainy weather all spring and summer. Anyway, you've got to savor those sunny days in the 50s!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:That weather report sounds amazing! Not the allergies, but the weather! It's finally acting like summer here. I can't complain because I've been complaining about our rainy weather all spring and summer. Anyway, you've got to savor those sunny days in the 50s!

Hey, Natalie! Yes, those cool mornings are wonderful. We are actually about to get some honest-to-goodness summer-ish weather around here, with highs as warm as 81! Okay, so that's not exactly what a lot of people would consider balmy, but after the unbelievably gray, cool and damp spring we've had here.. it's pretty amazing. Blue skies!!

I'm taking my usual rest day today, and I'm planning to go run the Wildwood Trail tomorrow morning. It should be a good day for it. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Mark B wrote:Easy Run: About 8 miles

Weather: Sunny, cool. 52-56 degrees, 88% humidity. Gear: NEW testers, shorts, shirt. Fuel: Banana and coffee. Carried nuun.

Wow. What a gorgeous morning! The sun was bright. The sky was blue. The grass was golden and ... ah... ah.. ripening in the ... ah... ah... ahh... fields all around ... ah... ah... ACHOO!!

Frikkin' allergies.

Okay, actually, I didn't sneeze. The explosion of drainage would have been spectacular. I did, however, wheeze a bit and flatten a few roadside weeds with a nasal artillery barrage. And my eyes kept watering so much it was a little hard to see. Etc. (Wah, wah, wah.) And this was AFTER taking allergy medicine. Oh well. It'll be nice when the grass just dies and gets it over with.

The run itself got better after a couple of miles. I went out to see Larry and Moe (the llamas) and then headed down Llama Ridge, popped a U-turn (after getting a nice view of a deer across a field) and headed back uphill. Funny thing, I swear the uphills feel easier now than the flats. Weird, but I'll take it. Smile

Larry and Moe...cute

I actually agree with the hills being easier. It's obviously still a workout but it's hard for me to hold a pace on flat for some reason. Like I'm working harder to move my legs forward. Very weird.
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 pm

ChasMcG wrote:
Mark B wrote:Easy Run: About 8 miles

Frikkin' allergies.

Larry and Moe...cute

I actually agree with the hills being easier. It's obviously still a workout but it's hard for me to hold a pace on flat for some reason. Like I'm working harder to move my legs forward. Very weird.

I guess it's all what you're used to, Chas. You engage different muscles when you go uphill.

Your note reminded me that I haven't yet formally introduced my buddies on these boards.

So, without further ado, meet:

Breaking Away - Page 5 Larry10
Larry...

Breaking Away - Page 5 Moe10
Moe...

Breaking Away - Page 5 Curly10
... and Curly (Or maybe Shemp. There are two alpacas, but unlike the llamas next door, they look a LOT alike.)

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Trail Run: About 8 miles, about 800-1,000 feet elevation gain (?)

Weather: Overcast, muggy. 56, 91% humidity. Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fuel: Oatmeal and coffee. Carried nuun in a pack, took one gel.

I went out for a solo run in Forest Park, with grand plans of doing about 12 miles total. I ended up doing about 8 after I realized that I was being over-ambitious. I was feeling all the hills. This route starts at about 80 feet in elevation and works its way up (with a good amount of undulations) into the hills, peaking at about 800 feet (if the charts I have are correct) at the point where I turned around.

Of course, I started off running the hills a bit too aggressively and got winded, which meant more walking later into the run than I'd expected. Note to self: You're still learning! I took a gel (it didn't help) adjusted my goals and decided to run for about two hours total rather than hit an arbitrary distance. I turned around after 4 miles and headed back, looking forward to running down all the hills I'd worked so hard to get up.

Actually, "running down" might be an understatement. There were several sections to where I felt confident enough to bomb downhill, going so fast my eyes started to water. (Whee!) When you're doing that and hit a more technical spot, it takes every bit of concentration to maintain that foot-eye coordination. I didn't twist my ankle (much) but I could feel my ankles weakening by the time I was wrapping up the run. Eight miles turned out to be just about right.

And as for the speed difference... it took me an hour to get to the turn-around... and only 50 minutes to get back. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:47 pm

What a difference the downhill makes!

Be careful blasting downhill - one misstep and you could end up face-down in llama scat!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Michael Enright wrote:What a difference the downhill makes!

Be careful blasting downhill - one misstep and you could end up face-down in llama scat!

LOL, Michael!

You know, for llama scat, it might just be worth it. jocolor
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:03 pm

It's definitely a trail day around here!

I'm trying to imagine 56 degrees and 91% humidity. Does that mean it was raining? Because that's not a combination we see around here.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:It's definitely a trail day around here!

I'm trying to imagine 56 degrees and 91% humidity. Does that mean it was raining? Because that's not a combination we see around here.

Not quite, though it was raining a little at home when I got back - and looking at how wet my hair was, you would have thought I'd gotten caught in a downpour. Mmm. Sweaty.

Cool and moist is pretty common in these parts. Which probably explains the profusion of ferns, mosses, trillium... and slugs.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 pm

I also am not familiar with 56 and 91%. Sounds ilke you made the right call in the run. Hills take a lot out especially when you are going uphill for a while before you get a break.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 pm

JohnP wrote:I also am not familiar with 56 and 91%. Sounds ilke you made the right call in the run. Hills take a lot out especially when you are going uphill for a while before you get a break.

That's a good point, John. I need to keep reminding myself that I can't translate road miles to trail miles, especially this early on.

I find the unfamiliarity with cool and humid surprising. (It's pretty much par for the course around here.) Now, I've run in the Midwest before, and I ran on an amazingly humid morning and thought I was going to melt into my shoes! Of course, the temperature was 70, with humidity at 95% (got to love training logs). Now THAT was difficult. This is just, well, wet and salty. (I do take Endurolytes, though.)

One note, though, for full disclosure. While humidity in the 80-90% range isn't unusual shortly after dawn here on the west side of the Cascade Range, the relative humidity drops pretty quickly as the temperature rises and the dewpoint holds steady.

For example, the weather station I used for the 56/91% data (the humidity actually started out at 99% when I started the run at 6 a.m. and fell to 91% by 8 a.m.) reached 72 degrees with 47% humidity later this afternoon. The dewpoint never got higher than 55 degrees.

Yes, I am a weather geek. geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:23 am

Same thing happens here. Typically mornings are around 75-80 degrees, with 90+ % humidity. By mid-day, the temps creep toward 100+ degrees, but the humidity drops down to maybe 30-40 %. I dont know which is worse, really - they both stink!
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Nice 8 mile run Mark, looks like you are really enjoying the trail running.

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next