365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking Away

+38
charles.moman
Dave P
T Miller
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
jon c
Penelope
Ken Mello
JohnP
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Diego
Glenn
ChasMcG
wendy_miller
Neil Ruggiero
Tom H
KathyK
Natalie
Tea from RonItch
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
KBFitz
Schuey
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Michael Mitchell
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
42 posters

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

Breaking Away - Page 2 Empty Re: Breaking Away

Post  Tea from RonItch Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:44 pm

WTH? How do you have a zillion posts, and you only started blogging at noon?

Geesh, I need up to my computer time.
Tea from RonItch
Tea from RonItch

http://www.everythinggood2day.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Tea from RonItch wrote:WTH? How do you have a zillion posts, and you only started blogging at noon?

Well, shamelessly starting an in-blog contest didn't hurt... Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Mark B wrote:
Tea from RonItch wrote:WTH? How do you have a zillion posts, and you only started blogging at noon?

Blogs are good places to boost a post count.... even in someone else's. Wink
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 am

Matt W wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Blogs are good places to boost a post count.... even in someone else's. Wink

Like this?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 am

Mark B wrote:Extra credit for the first person who picks up on the blog title's double meaning...

I'm sure I'm not first, but it's the reason I went to IU. I fell on love with it after seeing the movie "Breaking Away," and it's the reason I clicked on your blog. Have a great time with the Millers in beautiful Bloomington and Brown County, Indiana. And don't forget your bike!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:04 am

Mark B wrote:Oop! Something important happened while I was fooling around with the "Multiquote" feature....

KBFitz wrote:
Mark B wrote:Extra credit for the first person who picks up on the blog title's double meaning...
You're [1] breaking away from road running and [2] aiming to consummate the deal at a tough trail run later this year with a team from Bloomington, Indiana (setting of the film Breaking Away). Breaking Away - Page 2 Noprob

We have a winner! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Tecumseh is run in the hills east of Bloomington, too. And to make it even more apropos, the big limestone quarries where the "Cutters" parents worked and where they went swimming? They're near Bedford, Indiana - home of the Millers!

I used to swim in those quarries.

Breaking Away - Page 2 03-04b10

Now, what on earth can I give Kevin as a prize? Ah. I've got it.

Next time you visit Portland, lunch is on me. Wink
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:34 am

I keep wondering about giving up the Garmin for a time...but I'm not quite 'ready' yet.

I look forward to following along on your trail marathon training journey!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 am

Natalie Wolf wrote:

I'm sure I'm not first, but it's the reason I went to IU. I fell on love with it after seeing the movie "Breaking Away," and it's the reason I clicked on your blog. Have a great time with the Millers in beautiful Bloomington and Brown County, Indiana. And don't forget your bike!

Kevin beat you to it, Natalie - but the lunch offer still applies. I didn't know you went to IU! Does that make you a Hoosier? (Cool trivia: Did you know that the limestone they used to face the Empire State Building was quarried in Bedford?)

KathyK wrote:I keep wondering about giving up the Garmin for a time...but I'm not quite 'ready' yet.

I look forward to following along on your trail marathon training journey!

I know how you feel, Kathy. There's a lot to be said for getting biofeedback on a run. But for me, at least, the data seemed to be getting more important than the run itself. That's not fun, or healthy.

Speaking of running... I might have actually recovered enough from Sunday's adventure to head out for a brief run today. Once my feet stopped hurting, I was surprised to notice that my quads were sore to the touch! Yipes.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 am

Mark B wrote:
John Kilpatrick wrote:Anxiously awaiting the next mud run report! Did you ever get the mud from the neon shoes???

Hey, John!

Yes, I got them (mostly) cleaned up... through they're a bit less "neon" than before. Except on the toes, where a clear plastic toe guard preserved the original color perfectly! Quite a difference...

I clean my shoes with a toothbrush after each run. Even on sunny dry days! It perserves them just in case when I retire them I want to put them on a mantel. (This a joke) lol!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 am

I didn't intend to reply, then someone mentioned post count. confused
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:03 pm

So Mark, with all your prior running adventures, now that you are on the trails I expected by now Sasquatch sightings, chases by timber wolves and/or the discovery of a valley where the dinosaurs still roam. Are you holding out on us?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey, look! A running blog with a post about... running! Whodathunkit? Wink

Easy Run: About 7 miles

Weather: Nice! Blue skies with puffy white clouds and a nice breeze. 57-62 degrees. Gear: Nike testers, shorts, T. Fuel: Yogurt/cereal/berries and coffee. Two Endurolytes before, carried handheld with E-fizz.

This was my first run since my trail adventure last Sunday, so I went out easy with no specific plan. I just kept running and deciding every mile or so whether I wanted to keep going or turn around. It was a gorgeous morning, and it was just nice being outside.

I'm happy to report no lingering problems (after a slightly creaky start) though I never thought my feet and legs would be happy to run on asphalt. Sometimes, flatness has its benefits. Smile

I was able to maintain good form throughout, which was also a plus.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Mark B wrote:
John Kilpatrick wrote:Anxiously awaiting the next mud run report! Did you ever get the mud from the neon shoes???

Hey, John!

Yes, I got them (mostly) cleaned up... through they're a bit less "neon" than before. Except on the toes, where a clear plastic toe guard preserved the original color perfectly! Quite a difference...

I clean my shoes with a toothbrush after each run. Even on sunny dry days! It perserves them just in case when I retire them I want to put them on a mantel. (This a joke) lol!

Really, Kenny? I figured you'd just throw 'em away once they lost that new shoe smell! geek

Jerry wrote:I didn't intend to reply, then someone mentioned post count. confused

It happens to the best of us, Jerry. It looks like I'm already hopelessly behind.

Of course, unlike some people around here, I choose to sleep occasionally. What a Face

Tom H wrote:So Mark, with all your prior running adventures, now that you are on the trails I expected by now Sasquatch sightings, chases by timber wolves and/or the discovery of a valley where the dinosaurs still roam. Are you holding out on us?

Why yes, Tom. Yes, I am. Razz
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Mark B wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hey, John!

Really, Kenny? I figured you'd just throw 'em away once they lost that new shoe smell! geek

I already have enough problems!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Speaking of problems, Kenny...

While my legs loved the workout today, my feet are back to complaining again. (So weird. They never usually hurt.)

Drat! I guess I didn't wait long enough. No
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Hey Mark, just catching up on things. Looks like you and me are starting some very similar training over the summer. Can't wait to see how we both fair on the trails Smile

I love the style of running where you just go out and turn around when you feel like you've had enough. No set goals, no pace, no pressure. Just enjoying yourself, and calling it a day when it feels right.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Neil Ruggiero wrote:Hey Mark, just catching up on things. Looks like you and me are starting some very similar training over the summer. Can't wait to see how we both fair on the trails Smile

I love the style of running where you just go out and turn around when you feel like you've had enough. No set goals, no pace, no pressure. Just enjoying yourself, and calling it a day when it feels right.

Hey Neil! After months and months of grinding it out on the pavement and monitoring every last heartbeat, I decided that it was high time to adopt the "less is more" approach. I had actually avoided trails earlier, because the constant ups and downs made it difficult to measure the effort level and results. (Sheesh! OCD much?) So this new approach feels quite liberating... and adding trails to the mix turns my excursions from workouts into adventures. Smile

I'm glad that others are hitting the dirt, too. I hope we can learn from each other's mistakes!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 pm

trend towards trails makes sense to me. Our senses come alive closer we are to nature.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Kenny B. wrote:trend towards trails makes sense to me. Our senses come alive closer we are to nature.

That's a good point, Kenny. There's no way to turn yourself into a running robot when you're out on the trail. Better to be an animal.

Well, as long as it's not this one...

Breaking Away - Page 2 Animal10

Wait... you know what?

He does kind of resemble some of the guys I saw out there last weekend. Wink

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Mark, I just had to post to your blog because of your blog title. I really need to "Break Away" from this computer and site for awhile today. Ok carry on with your blog!

Oh by the way great picture of you and your Dad. I know what it is like to miss someone that means a lot. Hope you have a happy Father's day tomorrow!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Its funny Mark, I always stayed away from trails for the same reasons! Maybe its a function of how we both have a better understanding and feeling of our effort levels nowadays, and can accurately monitor our on effort.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:11 pm

New Mark blog! Woot!
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Schuey wrote:Hi Mark, I just had to post to your blog because of your blog title. I really need to "Break Away" from this computer and site for awhile today. Ok carry on with your blog!

Oh by the way great picture of you and your Dad. I know what it is like to miss someone that means a lot. Hope you have a happy Father's day tomorrow!

Yeah, I've been looking at that thread you started. How many visits? How many posts? Sheesh! Don't burn yourself out in the first couple of days, Schuey! We need you around for the long run!

Thanks on the photo of me and my dad. That was a good day. Having him gone, but having a son of my own, makes Father's Day bittersweet. For reasons I don't understand, it's more difficult this year than it was last year, the first year after he passed away.

Neil Ruggiero wrote:Its funny Mark, I always stayed away from trails for the same reasons! Maybe its a function of how we both have a better understanding and feeling of our effort levels nowadays, and can accurately monitor our on effort.

I think that plays a big part of it. We trust ourselves more now. But for me, at least, it's also an existential protest against all that structured, "scientific" training I'd committed myself to for so long. Even before I ran (and blew up in) Eugene, I knew I was ready for some new adventures.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 pm

wendy_miller wrote:New Mark blog! Woot!

Woot indeed! I spent a half hour at the race expo for the Vancouver USA Marathon this afternoon chatting with a friendly New Balance representative and trying on a bunch of shoes... I'll report on the results in a bit. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 pm

So... the shoe-fitting session.

My town (Vancouver) is hosting its first marathon this weekend. I'm not running it, but I thought it would be fun to take a break from work and swing by the race expo and see what vendors were there.

My long-shot goal was to see if anybody had trail shoes I could check out. There wasn't a huge selection of trail shoes - being that it was a road marathon, that wasn't a big surprise - but they did have the top New Balance trail shoes, the MT 101 and the Minimus Trail, and a friendly company rep who was more than willing to chat and let me try on a few pair.

I tried on the MT 101, the MT 100 and the Minimus Trail. Here's an initial first impression based on fit and a little walking around.

MT 101. They only had a size 10.5 left, and it was definitely too big for me. They felt solid underfoot but still light. The forefoot (which has a rock plate) was decidedly not cushy. There is limited heel-to-toe drop. The shape was slightly curved (good for me; I have curved feet) and there was good room in the toebox. I didn't spend much time in them because they were ridiculously big on me.

MT 100. They had a size 10 in this model, and it was a pretty good fit. I walked around it in and noticed very quickly that my big toe was smacking into the front of the shoe. I would lose a nail in these babies. That puzzled me until I compared it with the MT 101 and saw that the toebox of the MT 100 had significantly less vertical toe room. The rep confirmed that was one of the big differences between the models (also, the rock guard is full length in the 100 and only under the forefoot of the 101).

So that means the MT 101 is still a possibility for me, in the proper size. Whew! I was a little worried when I put on the 100s.

Minimus Trail. They had a size 10. The rep said people either love this model or hate it. It slipped on like a sock and fit my curvy, freaky foot like a glove. I could feel a bit of constriction across my forefoot, thanks to a strip of overlay placed to prevent the foot from sliding too far forward into a very roomy toebox. I got used to it fairly quickly. The rep told me that some people who have been bothered by that strip have eased the tension by putting a couple of slits in the overlay material, or by carefully cutting the thread where the overlay attaches to the upper.

Some non-rep sales clerk happened by and cooed over the Minimus. "They make you look fast!" she enthused. Suspect

Shameless flattery attempt aside (the NB rep looked a little embarrassed), I could see why Wendy is so enamored with the Minimus Trail. It felt really good on. I even tried a few running steps in them -- they felt good -- and I would have done more if my irritated peroneal tendon didn't instantly flare up like a red-hot poker and tell me to knock it off and let myself recover.

I was very close to buying the Minimus Trail on the spot (a 15% discount didn't hurt) but I really need to check out other options before selecting a shoe. I'm coming to realize that my problems last weekend weren't caused by the rocky trail as much as they were the relentlessly steep downhill sections that simply wore out my foot and ankle muscles. If I'm going to get trail shoes, they need to be able to help me bomb down those hills with a little more reckless abandon. Smile

One note for New Balance trail shoe fans. The rep said that the MT 110 that is supposed to come out in January will be built on the same last as the Minimus Trail... that is, more curved, which would make my feet very happy, I think. Also, there is a zero-drop version of the Minimus Trail in the works. But that won't mean the current Minimus Trail (4 mm drop, I believe) will go away. They plan to keep both of them on the market, at least for all of next year.

It really is amazing I walked out of there empty handed. Well, except for a tube of nuun, that is. Citrus flavor. Mmm. Grapefruity!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next