365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoping for Fall redemption

+30
fostever
Penelope
Paula Sue
Mark B
Peg Coover
jon c
Dave Wolfe
Liz R
Joel H
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
JohnP
Dave P
Jim Lentz
Tom H
Randy E
mul21
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Matt W
Chris M
Jerry
Kenny B.
Natalie
Seth Harrison
34 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 7 Empty Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:44 pm

It's a bitch getting old now, isn't it? Take care and take a day or too Seth. You have plenty of time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Liz R wrote:Is this the foot that hurt before? I hope this is just one of those out of the blue niggles that comes and goes quickly and mysteriously.

Unfortunately it's the same foot and the same injury. It never totally went away, even after six weeks of no running, and it seems to have returned all of sudden with a vengeance.

Jim Lentz wrote:Hopefully the foot is better soon, Seth.

Thanks Jim, I hope so too. For now, all I can do is give it a few days and hope for the best.

Kenny B. wrote:Seth - Body is got to be telling you something. One thing we humans are not very good at listening to our experiences. It is the best communication God offers is us yet this we even ignore. Glad you did not go for that run today. Not sure what is going on with you today but Triathlons are sounding much nicer lately for you. Swimming and biking no impact with less running might be the solution. I know how much you want to make it to Boston again, but Boston will go on without you losing no sleep, if you don't make it, will you?

Kenny, no doubt the body is telling me something. I'm trying really hard not to listen though. Smile
For now, swimming is a great cross trainer. I swam 2000 yards yesterday, and I seem to be getting stronger in the pool.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Seth, good call on taking the break today and listening to your body talk. Hope it is nothing of note and just one of those things that pops up and then just a quickly fades away.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Tom H wrote:Seth, good call on taking the break today and listening to your body talk. Hope it is nothing of note and just one of those things that pops up and then just a quickly fades away.

Thanks Tom. After resting it for a few days, it was good enough for me to venture back out today.

Today was officially the start of fall marathon training for my planned Nov. 20th marathon. After giving the foot a couple of days to rest, it felt sufficiently better this morning. It's certainly not perfect, and I'm sure it will continue to be an issue. I'm just hoping that whatever is going on down there, it will tolerate marathon training.
I'm looking at one of Hudson's plans, which are all 20 week plans. I haven't nailed down the plan yet, but the plan that I'm looking at maxes out in the 50 mile/week range. I'll be thrilled if my legs allow for that. I'm starting 18 weeks out. Today's run called for 4 miles with a couple of hill sprints. Rather than that exact run, I did five easy miles on a course that included one significant hill. It was already 80 and sunny at 8:30 am, so while it was an easy run, the heat and that one hill towards the end of the run made it a better workout.
Like I said, the foot held up...so did the knee...so did the periformis!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Good to see a run with no issues! I was cringing when I read the post about your last run.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Ain't that nice to run with no issues. You deserve many many more of those types of runs.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Jim and Kenny.

Today was the first real speed workout in months. 6.6 miles in total at the preserve with 3 x 4 min. intervals between HM and 10k pace (about 7:35-7:40/mile).
Not too taxing, but a good start for the beginning of the training cycle. It was already 80 and humid at 9:00 am. Heated the foot, knee, and periformis before the run, and took an ice bath afterward. Everything cooperated today.

It's very busy at work right now with revisiting families of 9/11 victims for our 10-year anniversary look back stories. All the emotion and sense of responsibility in telling these people's stories came back to me yesterday evening as I spent two hours at a cemetery with a 9/11 widow who erected a memorial bench for her husband, even though no remains were ever found. This is a woman who I spent a lot of time covering right after the attacks, then on the five-year anniversary, and now ten years out. I'm also doing a story on a man who got out of the towers but was severely burned, and one more story on a boy who just turned thirteen and recently had his Bar Mitzvah. His father was a member of the FDNY who was killed in the attacks. Along with photography, I'm doing extensive video reports on each of these people. I feel a tremendous responsibility to these people in telling their stories faithfully. The opportunity to enter people's lives at such delicate moments and tell their stories is what I've always loved best about being a photojournalist. Everything will run in our newspaper and on our website on 9/11. I'll be sure to post a link at that time.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 am

Last night at dinner with Kevin Fitz and Jim Lentz, I was talking about needing to have a backup plan in case Chicago is hot again. If its not good weather conditions October 9 out there, I think I'll back off and run it slow and look to attack my goal time in a different race. Your small November 20th find looks promising for me. Nice long period of time post October 9 so I could run all 26.2 out there but then really peak again for the Pennsylvania one. Hmmm. I see a potential plan coming together.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 am

Good deal on the speed work! Hopefully everything feels good tomorrow too. I like the idea of heating everything before you run to help get you loose.

Definitely post the link when the stories go up. I find stuff like that to be very interesting reading.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Interesting assignment, Seth.

Theodore Olsen spoke here 2 wks ago about ethics in law and government, but he also mentioned that his first wife (Barbara?) died in the 9/11 attacks. She was on one of the planes and managed to get a message out to him at the Justice Dept when they were hijacked. In her phone message, she asked for advice on how to deal with the hijackers. He did not get the call, but he did have the tape saved. Since he is pretty high profile and she was as well, he mentioned how he expects to be quite involved this coming anniversary.

One of my daughter's good friends will be 18 on 9/11 (they were obviously 8 then), and she is having a "remembrance" service at our church rather than a birthday bash. Kind of a neat and unselfish thing for a teen.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Chris M wrote:Last night at dinner with Kevin Fitz and Jim Lentz, I was talking about needing to have a backup plan in case Chicago is hot again. If its not good weather conditions October 9 out there, I think I'll back off and run it slow and look to attack my goal time in a different race. Your small November 20th find looks promising for me. Nice long period of time post October 9 so I could run all 26.2 out there but then really peak again for the Pennsylvania one. Hmmm. I see a potential plan coming together.

Chris, not that I'd ever wish you anything but the best for you in Chicago, but I'd love to be able to run the Bucks County marathon with you!

mul21 wrote:Good deal on the speed work! Hopefully everything feels good tomorrow too. I like the idea of heating everything before you run to help get you loose.

Definitely post the link when the stories go up. I find stuff like that to be very interesting reading.

Thanks Jim, at this point, I can't be sure of what's making a difference and what's not, but the heating pad does seem to loosen things up nicely before a run. I'm just very happy to be able to get in these workouts with no complications.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Interesting assignment, Seth.

Theodore Olsen spoke here 2 wks ago about ethics in law and government, but he also mentioned that his first wife (Barbara?) died in the 9/11 attacks. She was on one of the planes and managed to get a message out to him at the Justice Dept when they were hijacked. In her phone message, she asked for advice on how to deal with the hijackers. He did not get the call, but he did have the tape saved. Since he is pretty high profile and she was as well, he mentioned how he expects to be quite involved this coming anniversary.

One of my daughter's good friends will be 18 on 9/11 (they were obviously 8 then), and she is having a "remembrance" service at our church rather than a birthday bash. Kind of a neat and unselfish thing for a teen.

Michele, I remember reading about Olsen's wife. Did he mention that Sept. 11th. is also his birthday?
What you're daughter's friend is doing is incredibly unselfish and giving, especially for a milestone birthday like the one she'll be marking. It would be wonderful if the local newspaper (The Journal Constitution I'm guessing) could give her some coverage.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Thanks Jim and Kenny.

Today was the first real speed workout in months. 6.6 miles in total at the preserve with 3 x 4 min. intervals between HM and 10k pace (about 7:35-7:40/mile).
Not too taxing, but a good start for the beginning of the training cycle. It was already 80 and humid at 9:00 am. Heated the foot, knee, and periformis before the run, and took an ice bath afterward. Everything cooperated today.

It's very busy at work right now with revisiting families of 9/11 victims for our 10-year anniversary look back stories. All the emotion and sense of responsibility in telling these people's stories came back to me yesterday evening as I spent two hours at a cemetery with a 9/11 widow who erected a memorial bench for her husband, even though no remains were ever found. This is a woman who I spent a lot of time covering right after the attacks, then on the five-year anniversary, and now ten years out. I'm also doing a story on a man who got out of the towers but was severely burned, and one more story on a boy who just turned thirteen and recently had his Bar Mitzvah. His father was a member of the FDNY who was killed in the attacks. Along with photography, I'm doing extensive video reports on each of these people. I feel a tremendous responsibility to these people in telling their stories faithfully. The opportunity to enter people's lives at such delicate moments and tell their stories is what I've always loved best about being a photojournalist. Everything will run in our newspaper and on our website on 9/11. I'll be sure to post a link at that time.

That was a solid workout Seth - I can imagine you sort of holding your breath to see if something would give, but it was great news that the leg cooperated. Your job sounds very interesting and it is great to see someone like yourself doing stories that actually cares about the people and not just the story. I would love to see what gets put together. 9/11 was such a powerful and awful day.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 am

Do post a link to your article. I look forward to reading it.

Wow, ten years.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:25 am

Liz R wrote:Do post a link to your article. I look forward to reading it.

Wow, ten years.
+1
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:43 am

I'd also look forward to reading your article. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years and it's something little kids now will only hear stories about and read in books.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:44 am

Jim Lentz wrote:
Liz R wrote:Do post a link to your article. I look forward to reading it.

Wow, ten years.
+1

+2....just crazy to think that was 10 yrs ago, WOW!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 am

Glad to see everything held up on the run...fingers crossed you have more of those runs this training cycle.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks everyone. On one hand, the last ten years have flown by, and on the other hand, there's times when it's hard to remember what it was like before the attacks. So much about our lives has been irrevocably changed due to the events of 9/11.

Today was an easy/recovery 5 miles. The pace was slow enough to qualify as recovery (9:18/mile), but the heat and humidity were oppressive, the route I took included one pretty wicked hill, so I'm not sure if this really was a recovery run. I think I'll post a question about that on the running forum. Again, no issues with the leg. The periformis is still tight, but it's not affecting my runs any longer.

Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 am

I ran six this morning at about the same pace.

Felt harder than recovery pace!

I think any run this morning in the Midwest or Northeast would have to qualify as something more than a recovery run...

Good work getting it done.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:48 am

Glad that things have smoothed out for you Seth, the weather not so much.

No doubt 9/11 changed a lot of things for everyone. It is hard to comprehend that it will be ten years already. I'll be looking forward to reading your article as well.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 am

Seth things look better for you great news. As discussed because of your low mileage right now and not much speed work your Recovery runs are more like easy runs according to mcmillian which I think is ok. I would try to stay at recovery pace after a hard day of running but than go on perceived effort and see where the body takes you. As you ramp up and do more mileage and incorporate more speed work than I would use recovery runs with its purpose to recover.

PS: 9/11 it's been 10 years amazing. I was working in NYC on east side I remember it exactly where I was doing a sales training. I remember after building 1 got hit saying ok lets get back to training once bldg 2 got it I said why don't you go home. It also happens to be my b-day that day which I tend to think God is sending me a message just not sure what that is yet. Time will tell.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey Seth, sorry you some issues resurface recently, but I see you're able to get back running again. I pray the rest of your training will go well.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:What you're daughter's friend is doing is incredibly unselfish and giving, especially for a milestone birthday like the one she'll be marking. It would be wonderful if the local newspaper (The Journal Constitution I'm guessing) could give her some coverage.

I'm hoping we can get a little TV time since one of the local anchors kids go to our school and church.

And, no, Olsen did not mention that it was his birthday which is unselfish as well. He did mention; however, that he is the lead counsel fighting the repeal of the Gay marriage bill in California. People questioned how a conservative republican could do that, and he that the right was not about politics, but something he believed in.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote: He did mention; however, that he is the lead counsel fighting the repeal of the Gay marriage bill in California. People questioned how a conservative republican could do that, and he that the right was not about politics, but something he believed in.

I knew this. I think he and David Boies are co-counsel on this. Just goes to show how lawyers make strange bedfellows...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Natalie wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote: He did mention; however, that he is the lead counsel fighting the repeal of the Gay marriage bill in California. People questioned how a conservative republican could do that, and he that the right was not about politics, but something he believed in.

I knew this. I think he and David Boies are co-counsel on this. Just goes to show how lawyers make strange bedfellows...

If you're alluding to the fact the Boies represented Al Gore and Olsen represented Bush in Bush v. Gore, than you're right about strange bedfellows. I was first impressed with Olsen when he and Boies joined forces in 2009 to bring a lawsuit after California voters rejected the referendum on same sex marriage. He's an interesting guy.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next