365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking toward the fall

+12
Alex Kubacki
Mrs. Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Julie
Peg Coover
Natalie
Kenny B.
Schuey
jon c
16 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Looking toward the fall Empty Looking toward the fall

Post  jon c Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 pm

OK, so I’ve never tried blogging on running before, but thought it might be a way to plug into the group and get to know some of you all a little more. I am really amazed at the amount of blogging here and I can’t promise that I’ll be able to keep up with all of you, but I am going to give it a go.

I am going to attempt to periodically add pictures of my training routes and other various things that might be of interest in future entries.

Thought I would direct you to the welcome thread first of all where I posted a few weeks ago.

https://i-team.forumotion.com/t206-the-welcome-thread-both-old-and-new

My immediate goal first off is to get back to where I was before my first injury in almost three years. Sad I noticed some pain in the back of the thigh a few days after my last marathon in Iowa on June 11. It took a few days to realize it was a hamstring issue and not sciatica. I had some residual soreness in the days following the race like I usually do but by Friday it had become intense enough during my run that I ended it early and walked home the last three miles or so. Historically any hamstring injury has taken me two to three weeks to get over. I did some easy jogging for a few days in the interim and decided that it was not helping any so finally rested for the past week or so. On Monday, I ran a couple miles and it was the first day since the injury that the leg didn’t flare up during the run. Yesterday it was an easy four with 102 degree heat index sunny (91/75 doesn’t make for a particularly comfortable environment), but did beat the severe thunderstorm that followed by about half an hour. So I am hopeful that this episode of injury is at an end.

My intermediate goal is to get back to running 40-50 mile weeks and then go into training mode for a 50 miler in rural Kansas that I have scheduled for October. Last year my training went well, however a nutritional screw-up and probably not respecting the distance like I should have contributed to a DNF that was kind of tough to swallow. Embarassed So I will go at it again with the goal of finishing first and worrying about time second. It’s going to be interesting as it is going to be a night race :sleep:this year starting at 6:00 p.m. My plan is to do some midnight running especially once it cools off in September.

As for marathoning, I will most likely do one or two in the late fall as yet to be determined. My spring schedule went really well by my standards anyway, with all four fulls being between 3:29 and 3:34 and one age group win at the Cowtown 50K.

So it is a bit cooler here today and I will be out at my lunch break to see if I can add a couple more miles for the day. Hoping to do five or six anyway. Smile

BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for an easy to transport user friendly AM/FM radio to listen to on runs? I have an ipod which is great but thought I might add a radio to my options to listen to live programming periodically.[/size]
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Looking toward the fall Empty Re: Looking toward the fall

Post  jon c Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

This afternoon I ran 5miles. Not quite as hot, but still humid (84/72). The good news was that my leg felt as close to normal as it has in several weeks. Cool So that was very encouraging!

On another note, I am beginning to read and get caught up on some of your blogs here. It's amazing to me the amount of effort put into these. This is really a supportive and encouraging community of runners.

Carry on....
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 am

Hey Jon welcome to blogging and I'm sure you will find over time it can be fun to do. And that you will build some great friendships with others on here.

As for your running glad to see that you are getting back into it again and that the hamstring issue is getting cleared up. Also I look forward to following your training for the 50 miler. I will be trying to do my first 50 miler this coming fall, so with you already training for one already I hope to be able to learn from you Jon.

Good luck with the blogging and the training for your future races.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:12 am

Great start to the blog and I also am very interested in following your 50 mile quest. Keep us posted!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks Schuey and Kenny! Appreciate your encouragement. I am certain that if I can stay uninjured that I will be successful in finishing at least. I have read both your blogs and will comment as time permits.

The leg held up very well yesterday and today. Ran 6 and 7 respectively with identical weather readings both days. 84/70 isn't too bad for this time of year, but my tech tank is soaked at the end of the run and is heavy! 70 dewpoints aren't my favorite, but I feel like if I can train in warm weather, it makes the late miles of a marathon or further easier by comparison. Plus my job allows me to train over my lunch break which is a big help with spending time with the family in the evenings.

I took some pictures of some of my running routes yesterday and as time will allow, I'll be posting a few for fun in the future. Nothing too exciting, but there's a lot of green this year as it hasn't dried up yet.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi Jon! I forgot to post the other day, but I read your first post and then clicked over to the welcome thread and became distracted reading everything over there. I totally forgot to comment, but welcome to blogging!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:00 pm

This is a hugely supportive community!

I find that sometimes I don't have time to post, because I get caught up reading all the other new posts but I try to pop in now and then!

I had a hamstring injury in January, due to shoveling snow, and I got a treatment at physical therapy called ASTYM. It hurt like hell, but it worked! It's similar to Graston or ART, in that it breaks down scar tissue. It certainly worked for me, after only 3 treatments. It sounds like you are already on the mend, though!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Wow, congrats on the AG win at Cowtown! I'm impressed you did the 50K let alone won your group. I ran the marathon and it was my slowest ever. The heat/humidity completely wore me out.

I hope you have a great 50 miler! A 50 miler is on my mind but probably not for a few more years.

Hang in there with the heat/humidity and I hope your hamstring heals quickly!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Jon, it's good to hear the leg is still feeling good. I have a minor hamstring issue and perhaps I should take a full week off. I have a hard time taking off the long run days because I am a pace team leader for a running group.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Good to hear that the hammie is on the mend. I have a re-occcuring hamstring/glute issue on my right side. It flares up every so often and gives me fits and then goes away again. I hope yours is cured!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:41 am

Jon, I was glad to read that the hamstring issue is just that and not the sciatic nerve. I'm dealing with a sore periformis that has been aggravating the sciatic nerve, and as you may know, it's quite painful. I hope you can keep the hamstring under control as you train (it seems to be tougher to stay totally injury free for us "old" guys).
Your recent race results have been great. Hope you can keep the string going with a successful 50 miler this year.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 pm

First thanks everyone for the welcome, comments and support. We can all relate on some level with our training, racing and how that fits into our everyday lives.

Julie wrote:Wow, congrats on the AG win at Cowtown! I'm impressed you did the 50K let alone won your group. I ran the marathon and it was my slowest ever. The heat/humidity completely wore me out.

I hope you have a great 50 miler! A 50 miler is on my mind but probably not for a few more years.

Hang in there with the heat/humidity and I hope your hamstring heals quickly!

Congrats on finishing Cowtown in tougher circumstances. Remember leaving York 16 degree, by OKC it was 35. The next morning we crossed the front and all of a sudden it was 70 which felt great.

I really have enjoyed Cowtown. This was my third 50K there. First year I was sick and ran anyhow. It was tough as it was cold and windy but I survived. Last year it was decent weather and I won the age group. This year the humidity was a factor but it was cloudy. Of course the sun came out after I finished so that was tougher on those that were out there longer. I think I have some degree of tolerance for heat even when I wasn't used to it. Had it been sunny, it certainly could have been more difficult.

The running didn't happen yet today. We were out of town and got back to work mowing and washing cars etc. Also found out our next door neighbors son was in a motorcycle accident this AM and is in Lincoln in critical condition. It's not looking very good right now from what we were told. He had just graduated from high school six weeks ago. So kind of a sobering day. I can't even imagine.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Terrible news about your neighbor. My son just graduated from high school and I worry every time he goes out. Like right now...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:Terrible news about your neighbor. My son just graduated from high school and I worry every time he goes out. Like right now...

Found out he was driving out in the country, lost control somehow and hit a tree. No helmet which is why he has severe head injuries. The good news today was that he has stabilized for now. They are hoping to let his body warm up a bit tomorrow and then see how that goes. If he survives, it will likely be a long road back.

Today was a sauna like day. Ran at noon and at 4 in the afternoon, six and four respectively. Temps were low 90s with 77 dew point. Very Florida like. Heat index was over 100 for both runs. Good thing this type of weather generally only lasts for a couple months each year. So I simply ran slow and carried my water bottle. We seem to be hitting midsummer form. This has been an extremely windy year here even for this part of the country. But today there was barely a breeze. Pretty brutal conditions, but a tolerance builder if nothing else.

I kind of like to track weather, temps wind, dew point etc. I've always had a fascination with weather phenomenon. One thing here in the Midlands is you get quite a variety of weather over the course of a year. Since I only do treadmill occasionally, it gives me the opportunity to experience all kinds of weather conditions. sunny
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Sounds like southern Ohio weather from where I sit!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:52 pm

That's horrible about the motorcycle accident. Sounds preventable which makes it more tragic. Hope he pulls out of it.

Good going on the runs in the nasty conditions - haven't heard anything about the hammy so hopefully it is cooperating?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:14 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:That's horrible about the motorcycle accident. Sounds preventable which makes it more tragic. Hope he pulls out of it.

Good going on the runs in the nasty conditions - haven't heard anything about the hammy so hopefully it is cooperating?

Yeah, not wearing helmet is a huge cause of head trauma obviously. You hope that it is a good lesson, but he needs to recover first.....

The hamstring has gone silent which is a huge relief. Thanks for mentioning it.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 am

I barely slogged through 3 yesterday at 10:30 am. How in the world did you run twice, later on????

You are correct about our weather here though!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 am

Peg Coover wrote:I barely slogged through 3 yesterday at 10:30 am. How in the world did you run twice, later on????

You are correct about our weather here though!

Stubbornness or simply plain stupidity. Or a combination of both. Laughing One thing is for sure, I wasn't in any hurry during the runs. Carried the water bottle and walked to drink and sprinkle water on my arms etc.

If this type of weather keeps up, I'll probably do some treadmill work at some point though. Tomorrow afternoon we are going to be on a vacation for the rest of the week so hopefully I can get some running in San Diego. Should be cooler and definitely less humid anyway.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 am

Jon, wow, you ran in the afternoon yesterday? It's hot enough at 9 a.m.!

sorry to hear about the motorcycle accident. I see a lot of patients with traumatic brain injury since I work in rehab as a speech pathologist...,the encouraging thing is that many people have very good recoveries, people who weren't even sure to live. It takes time and hard work but hopefully he does well.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:01 am

I have missed writing on the blog a few days now. On Monday and Tuesday I ran six. Monday was warm and Tuesday was cloudy and less humid. It was much more bearable than last week. Wednesday was a travel day, one day in Las Vegas and then yesterday we flew into San Diego. Las Vegas was not as hot as usual, mid 90s and of course little to no humidity. I am looking forward to running in the mild ocean climate here in San Diego through Sunday.

We are staying on Coronado island and I have a route that I have run around the perimeter of the island that I will be doing. Then it will be back to heat and humidity, at least for another month or so. Plan on running twice during the day if it is feasible. If all goes well, I may end up with a 40 mile week and then we'll be back on track. Connie and Hannah will be spending time on the beach so that will be fun for them. I have trouble sitting on the beach for too long. bounce It is very beautiful here.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:05 am

It is wonderful running out there isn't it, Jon? My husband has lived just north of San Diego in the Carlsbad area for the last (almost) 3 yrs. I love going out there to run along the Pacific Coast - fortunately and/or unfortunately, he'll be leaving soon and re-locating to Cleveland, OH. Running along Lake Erie is good in the late Spring, Summer and Fall, but winter not so much, but at least it is water which is what I do not have in Atlanta, GA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:It is wonderful running out there isn't it, Jon? My husband has lived just north of San Diego in the Carlsbad area for the last (almost) 3 yrs. I love going out there to run along the Pacific Coast - fortunately and/or unfortunately, he'll be leaving soon and re-locating to Cleveland, OH. Running along Lake Erie is good in the late Spring, Summer and Fall, but winter not so much, but at least it is water which is what I do not have in Atlanta, GA.

Good luck with your Cleveland running! I agree it might be a bit tough in the winter there. I'll have to post some snow pictures from winter 2009-10 here. That was a bit challenging as well. How long have you all had seperate locations? That would be hard for me, but I'm sure one can acclimate to it.

I really need to get caught up reading on the blogs here. It will probably be a day or two. Got back from our 5 day trip to LV and San Diego at 3:30am this AM and back to work. Today is a catch up on everything day. I did get in a 41 mile week so I was pleased with that. Running in Coronado was very pleasant. I did get one two a day in, ran 12, 10 and 7 for the three day weekend, went to a Padres Giants game with Lincecum pitching, visited Qualcomm Stadium, spent time on the beach with Connie and Hannah, also caught up with a friend that we hadn't seen for awhile. He is in a better job situation than last time, so that was encouraging. In Las Vegas, we stayed at Red Rock for two nights, very enjoyable for all!

As for training this week, it is going to be blazing hot:sunny: and humid for the next week and possibly two according to long range forecasts. Heat index is predicted over 110 for the next couple days. I will be doing some outdoor running, but will also do some indoor treadmill work, as I'm thinking that will be best in the overall scheme of things.

Meanwhile our neighbor is doing some better, still in an induced coma like state, but seems to have stabilized. They will be trying to slowly wake him up so to speak and then they will assess what damage has been done and how to handle rehab. So we are encouraged about that, but at the same time realize it will be a long road back.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Stay cool Jon.

Glad your neighbor is hanging in there. My friend's friend had a bad motorcycle accident in May. He was selling his bike and took it for one last ride before it was gone--no helmet. I saw an xray of his skull--not good. But he's ok. Scary stuff.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:04 pm

No one is going to forget winter 09-10...my daughter was 5 mos old and I called my husband at work to ask him to take the next day off so we could make it to my parents' home in northeast NE. I packed for him so when he got home we loaded the car and made it there before the storm hit. 6 days later...we were back in Lincoln. At least we all got snowed in together but they had 24".

Anyway, welcome back. The humidity is supposed to be getting better after tomorrow but the forecast still doesn't look good. Looks like you had some good runs on vacation.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next