365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

+15
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
Matt W
Jerry
Admin
fostever
mul21
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Michael Enright
Mike MacLellan
charles
JohnP
mountandog
Kenny B.
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Would you shoot for 3:15 BQ

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Vote_lcap90%To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 90% 
[ 19 ]
To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
 
Total Votes : 21
 
 

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Chris M wrote:I was there yesterday in Philly watching you cross the finish line. You had more left. 3:15 is within reach. Right Now. If I'm you, I'd rather go for the BQ with a 20% chance of success and an 80% possibility of missing and even potentially blowing a PR than do the safe thing and go for the 80% chance of a PR (but non BQ) time.

I think this line of thinking is why we both let Dave abuse us.

And I couldn't possibly agree with this any more.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 6504
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : St. Louis

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:04 pm

[img]To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Zen_ke10[/img]

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 6131
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 52
Location : Leesburg, GA

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Kenny B. Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:09 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:[img]To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Zen_ke10[/img]

Love it.

Seems consensus is GO FOR IT. Hate to let you all down. Lol to be continued...
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2042
Points : 6711
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 50
Location : Jersey Shore!

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Nick Morris Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:56 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:[img]To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Zen_ke10[/img]



This is awesome John!!! I love it!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13832
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 am

Develop a strategy that gives you a chance at it but isn't going "all in."

In other words, split the first half in 1:38-39. That is fast enough to keep 3:15:59 in play. But its also smart enough that I don't think you're risking a big blow up. As Matt said, you're fit enough that I don't see a complete collapse happening. If you lose a few minutes in the final 10k because you werent ready for 3:15, you should still come in with a PR.
Dave-O
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 6359
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13832
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Dave-O wrote:Develop a strategy that gives you a chance at it but isn't going "all in."

In other words, split the first half in 1:38-39. That is fast enough to keep 3:15:59 in play. But its also smart enough that I don't think you're risking a big blow up. As Matt said, you're fit enough that I don't see a complete collapse happening. If you lose a few minutes in the final 10k because you werent ready for 3:15, you should still come in with a PR.

Im 3:27:55 sub 3:20 should be well with in reach if I shoot for 3:15 I can see sub 3:20 go bye bye. But then again I have philly 5 weeks later to bounce back possibly.

I will most likely plan on 3:15 and adjust as I run. I think I know when imploding is about to come (sometimes).
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2042
Points : 6711
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 50
Location : Jersey Shore!

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Dave-O wrote:Develop a strategy that gives you a chance at it but isn't going "all in."

In other words, split the first half in 1:38-39. That is fast enough to keep 3:15:59 in play. But its also smart enough that I don't think you're risking a big blow up. As Matt said, you're fit enough that I don't see a complete collapse happening. If you lose a few minutes in the final 10k because you werent ready for 3:15, you should still come in with a PR.

Im 3:27:55 sub 3:20 should be well with in reach if I shoot for 3:15 I can see sub 3:20 go bye bye. But then again I have philly 5 weeks later to bounce back possibly.

I will most likely plan on 3:15 and adjust as I run. I think I know when imploding is about to come (sometimes).

I never buy that 5, 6 or whatever weeks to bounce back idea. If you do, you just never really know how to race. Razz
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006097
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Jerry wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:
Dave-O wrote:Develop a strategy that gives you a chance at it but isn't going "all in."

In other words, split the first half in 1:38-39. That is fast enough to keep 3:15:59 in play. But its also smart enough that I don't think you're risking a big blow up. As Matt said, you're fit enough that I don't see a complete collapse happening. If you lose a few minutes in the final 10k because you werent ready for 3:15, you should still come in with a PR.

Im 3:27:55 sub 3:20 should be well with in reach if I shoot for 3:15 I can see sub 3:20 go bye bye. But then again I have philly 5 weeks later to bounce back possibly.

I will most likely plan on 3:15 and adjust as I run. I think I know when imploding is about to come (sometimes).

I never buy that 5, 6 or whatever weeks to bounce back idea. If you do, you just never really know how to race. Razz

Yeah...isn't race day supposed to be an all out effort??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13832
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Kenny, I was shooting for 3:14 this spring and my blow up resulted in just under 3:17. You're in good enough shape that you shouldn't end up any worse that what I did if conditions are good. Remember what I told you about a month or so ago? The workouts you were doing were falling pretty much right in line with what I was doing this spring leading up to my marathon. I have very little doubt that you're in shape to run 3:15. I know I was and just got kiboshed by the weather.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 6504
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : St. Louis

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Admin Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Jerry wrote:

I never buy that 5, 6 or whatever weeks to bounce back idea. If you do, you just never really know how to race. Razz

Yeah...isn't race day supposed to be an all out effort??

You mean you can't run 'all out' with 5 weeks between races? Shocked

Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 5735
Join date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

To BQ or not to BQ that is the question! - Page 2 Empty Re: To BQ or not to BQ that is the question!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum