365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laugh at the Rules

+34
Jeff F
Nick Morris
Dave P
Glenn
JohnP
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Joel H
Penelope
jon c
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
mul21
Julie
ChasMcG
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
Michael Mitchell
Ken Mello
Seth Harrison
Tea from RonItch
Chris M
Natalie
dot520
Schuey
Kenny B.
Matt W
Pete B
charles
Jerry
Peg Coover
38 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Laugh at the Rules - Page 5 Empty Re: Laugh at the Rules

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Ha Chas! I rarely see anyone on the country roads so I might as well be in my basement!

I weighed 139.6 today. Then, after mowing (and I had been drinking some water here and there) I weighed 138! I jumped on the scale just because I was changing clothes and I thought, "why not, let's see if I sweated as much as it felt like I had!" I reported the first weight but it felt good to see that number, since I haven't been under 139 since last September.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Wow! 130s!!! Congrats! I gotta get back on the wagon. I fell off when I got sick.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:47 pm

I always weigh myself after any activity that produces sweat. The lightest weight of the day is the one that counts!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:I always weigh myself after any activity that produces sweat. The lightest weight of the day is the one that counts!

I like how you think!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Peg Coover wrote:
Natalie Wolf wrote:I always weigh myself after any activity that produces sweat. The lightest weight of the day is the one that counts!

I like how you think!!
-1 (pound Laughing )
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Laughing
Jim Lentz wrote:
Peg Coover wrote:

I like how you think!!
-1 (pound Laughing )

Laughing
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 am

Peg Coover wrote:Ha Chas! I rarely see anyone on the country roads so I might as well be in my basement!

I weighed 139.6 today. Then, after mowing (and I had been drinking some water here and there) I weighed 138! I jumped on the scale just because I was changing clothes and I thought, "why not, let's see if I sweated as much as it felt like I had!" I reported the first weight but it felt good to see that number, since I haven't been under 139 since last September.

I hear you on the country roads. It's almost a disappointment to see someone because they usually don't slow down and then you go through the dust that is created. After reading through your blog, it looks like you are gaining ground so that should be encouraging. If we can stick it out for another six weeks or so, the humidity will be largely behind us.

Agree that most here are looking forward to the Big 10. It definitely will be different and I'll miss a lot of the old rivalries. But it looks to me like it was the right decision for the school at this particular time.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:38 am

After a weekend of disappointing runs I better catch up!

The 10k Saturday was miserable. It was so humid and we ran on gravel by the corn fields--corn is over my head already and it just creates a sauna. I started too fast, with an 8:50, followed by a couple of 9:20's, then it all came crashing in on me. There was water at 1.5 and just under 3...they needed one more station. I walked when there was shade, which wasn't much. I finished in 1:02:40....I felt like I couldn't cool down. I took off my shirt and lay down on the sidewalk in the shade! Also, when Jim was cheering me in a few blocks from the finish, I honestly believed I had one more mile to go....But at mile 3, I thought it was mile 4, and I remember feeling like I wanted to just catch a ride home!

Sunday I got out late, but thought, "Oh, it's just 3 miles. no biggie." It was way too hot to be out for even a walk! I slogged through it though.

Today I got out early and it was overcast. We had a storm again last night. I checked the dew point after reading the thread about it, and it was 65 so that is pretty humid. but the run went much better. I did 4 miles in 42:20. Then I had a good pushup and ab workout. pushups: 40, 45, 25, 25, 46. (the second set was supposed to be 50 and the last set was supposed to be 50 also. close)

This is a big week coming up--every single run bumps up and it tops out at 40 miles! Yikes. I will rest on Tuesday, then do 8, 16, rest, 4, 8.

I thought I would post a picture of the roads again, in case some of you never saw my old blogs. This is where most of my runs happen--this picture was taken in September though, so the corn right now in July looks a little different!

[img]Laugh at the Rules - Page 5 P1010010[/img]
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Nice picture. Running in that kind of weather is always tough.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Some crazy heat going on all over the place. You did what you can do.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Way to perservere Peg.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Good 10K especially in this heat. Good job hanging with it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Sunday was too hot to be outside!

One of these days it will cool off, we're just stuck right now, I guess.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Good job on the 10K. With the heat as hot as it is, it's hard to PR, but you ran a solid race anyway. The picture of the road you run on is beautiful! Just needs some trees for shade! Keep up the great work with the running!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 pm

10K sounds brutal, but is in the bag now. Good job on hanging with it and finishing. Nice picture - looks like the Nebraska I remember!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Tuesday, rest day. Well, active rest. I took E on a couple walks and put primer on the walls of a bedroom while he napped. My daughter is painting at her new house!

Today 8 miles MP. It was slower overall than MP due to I always start slow and the first part was into the wind. But I finished strong with miles under MP, so I will take it. 10:29 ave pace.

Tomorrow 16!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Nice MP run, Peg.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Just wanted to say hi and say way to stay with it Peg. Keep up the training, we all have down points during training. Trust me I have been there before and will be there again. Keep you head up and keep going and oh great MP run.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 am

Peg Coover wrote:Tuesday, rest day. Well, active rest. I took E on a couple walks and put primer on the walls of a bedroom while he napped. My daughter is painting at her new house!

Today 8 miles MP. It was slower overall than MP due to I always start slow and the first part was into the wind. But I finished strong with miles under MP, so I will take it. 10:29 ave pace.

Tomorrow 16!

Very nice!!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:27 am

Thanks Jim, Schuey and Chas. I think the humidity is making things tough. And, I don't think I should be running so many little races. I keep wanting better times but it's just not happening.

Heading out for 16 soon. It's still dark, so 3 in town, then two 6 mile loops, and another in town.

71 degrees with dew point of 69....sheesh.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:35 am

Hey Peg, that looked like a brutal 10k, but way to stick with it. I hope
today's 16 went well and that you got it in before it got too hot. I just got finished with a business trip to Atlanta where even at 7:00 pm, the temps were still in the 90's with plenty of humidity. I managed a couple of easy 5 milers, but the thought of a tough 10k in those temps...no way!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah Seth, I'm learning that the effort I put forth in a race probably taxes me more than I realize and I probably got too hot.

Well, 16 done. It wasn't pretty. Like I said, 71 degrees, dew point 69 when I started. I did 3 in town first as it was dark, but I was breathing so hard, even running 11:20 or more mpm! I stopped inside and asked hubby to set out some water AND gatorade for me, just in case the golf course didn't have the bathrooms open yet (they did and had ice cold water ready!). Got a drink, and headed out for the first of two 6.2 mile loops. It wasn't too bad, but still very humid. I took a gel at 7.3 miles.

After one loop I was back at home and changed clothes. They were dripping wet. I also put my old shoes on because my shoes were wet too. I even changed socks. I also rested for about 10 mins. I know that isn't the proper way to do a LSD, but I was sweating so much I thought it would be a good idea to wait to go back out until I stopped and actually cooled down a little.

The second loop wasn't bad, but the sun wanted to shine now (had been overcast). The first 3 went well, then I started walking quite a bit in the last 2.5 miles. I still ran more than walked. When I got home, my watch said 15.6, so I got another drink and ran 0.4 more miles!

I had water after 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. One gel. Total time was about 3:07 (not counting my rest stop at home) with ave pace of 11:40. The pace is fine for an LSD for me, but a lot slower than I usually do.

77 degrees and dew point of 71 when I was done.

Stretched, cold hose on my leg, chocolate milk, and now maybe a little nap!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 am

Great - that weather is headed this way! Nice long run Per - sometimes we do what we have to do and changing, etc. in this heat is more than acceptable practice. I think we would all agree with that.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Great - that weather is headed this way! Nice long run Per - sometimes we do what we have to do and changing, etc. in this heat is more than acceptable practice. I think we would all agree with that.

We do what we have to do to finish the run. Nice job on the 16.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Nice job on a 16 miler in the humidity! You are smart to hydrate well, too. In a few weeks we'll get a break, at least that is my hope. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

16 in the books - that is what matters. I'm impressed that you were able to pick it up again and run through after a stop - my motivation usually goes down the tubes if I stop (it feels sooo good to stop when it is hot like that!)

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next