365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How has working on your core helped your running

+13
Natalie
grennifer
Jim Lentz
Chris Coleman
fostever
Mike MacLellan
Nick Morris
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
JohnP
John Kilpatrick
Admin
ounce
17 posters

Go down

How has working on your core helped your running Empty How has working on your core helped your running

Post  ounce Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 pm

I started diligently doing cross training, including core work, back in March. I never had before. So, how has it helped your running? Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

How has working on your core helped your running Empty Re: How has working on your core helped your running

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

ounce wrote:I started diligently doing cross training, including core work, back in March. I never had before. So, how has it helped your running? Thanks.

So far, the work you've done on your core hasn't helped my running at all. I guess we'll see when I run Chicago. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

How has working on your core helped your running Empty Re: How has working on your core helped your running

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Mr MattM wrote:So far, the work you've done on your core hasn't helped my running at all. I guess we'll see when I run Chicago. Very Happy

lol! lol! lol!

Ounce, I would be curious too - I don't do any of it, but know I should....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Working on my core (not to be confused with cross training) has helped me a great deal. I concentrate on sit-ups, the situp machines, crunches, . This also included the back where I used the machine for that. Then there is the sides - either common exercise works. You tackle your whole core in one session. Benefits for me are mainly that my posture is straight without slouching. Also, when running on slippery or icy roads, my core doesn't hurt as much if it's strengthened, as it does from being weak. Definitely recommend it.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 am

As I've aged, core work has helped me with strength during the latter half of a long run or a race. I know that I finished many a marathon not on the miles run, but on the work that I did in the gym so that my upper body did not tire. This was especially true when I was running multiple marathons a year. Many times my mileage was down, but I was still able to finish strong albeit at a "slower" pace than if I was truly racing.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:13 pm

I always worked core before running so I have not much to compare to but I do know that times I have stopped doing core my body felt less capable of holding up to the longer runs. I also find doing shoulder workouts to be very important because in marathons one can tend to feel weak up top which lends to being week on bottom IMO.

The body is machine to be finely tuned up and ready to go. No muscle groups should go without attention. I even workout my shins with dorsey flexion.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Working on my core has helped me strengthen my upper body. The stronger core helps me maintain good running form for long periods of time. This, in turn, allows me to keep a more opened air way and helps with my breathing. In my opinion, every runner should be doing some type of core work in their workout routines.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:04 pm

To be honest, the only real difference I've noticed is that now my abs feel (to the touch, I mean) and look a lot better when I run. Then again, my running has improved hugely since I started doing core work, but this is confounded by lots more miles and smarter training overall.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:16 pm

I had my first major injury setback in May of this year and underwent 6 weeks of PT. The diagnosis was a weak lower back resulting in sciatic pain, causing compensation in form, resulting in IT band issues as well as other areas along the kenetic chain. After one month of very little to no running and PT the issue began to clear up. The strategy to prevent a relapse is to target some key muscle groups for strength training. All winter I had been doing some that I read were good for that, but apparently not as effective as they could have been. Some of the new exercises seem to have helped so far. Some of these are off of the crossfit website and some are traditional ones. Lunge walks, push-up progressions, wall ball, Turkish get-ups, supine jacks, knees to arm in a plank position, and planks, both side and regular. One thing I've noticed is my mid-section is getting cut with some new muscle groups and some new pain in those areas as I develop. So far so good, with no sciatic issues and minimal lower back pain. I really haven't jumped up to were I was mileage wise (30/ week so far,) so time will tell I guess. I am cross training 2 days so that may be a factor. Definitely core strength will help balance out any imbalances running may cause so it is good to do. You may not notice much difference unless you've had injuries and now you don't, since it tends to work behind the scenes so to speak.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:11 am

I haven't noticed any effect on performance, though there probably is some. But I am definitely more injury prone if I stop doing core exercises for a month.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm

I can't prove it, but I think it makes me more efficient and faster. If I have a weak core some of my energy is wasted from motion in my core that doesn't translate to forward motion.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 pm

I thank y'all for your great replies.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  grennifer Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am

I keep talking about working on my core but haven't done it yet. That is less than helpful.
grennifer
grennifer

http://perseverancerunner.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I definitely look better in my running pictures. Wink
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm not very dedicated but when I am working on my core running uphill is easier, my hips don't get as sore during a long run either. I need to get back into it again.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:49 am

I think at the end of the day working the core strengthens all your support muscles which will help prevent injuries especially as you increase distances.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Don S Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeah I'm w/ Matt I don't think that your core work has helped my running, but it probably hasn't hurt it either.

I do core work to help my running. I think it has helped me stay stronger and maintain good form late in a distance race, which can have a big impact. I cross train my arm strength by lifting beer bottles in high repetition 2-3 times a week.
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Don S wrote:Yeah I'm w/ Matt I don't think that your core work has helped my running, but it probably hasn't hurt it either.

I do core work to help my running. I think it has helped me stay stronger and maintain good form late in a distance race, which can have a big impact. I cross train my arm strength by lifting beer bottles in high repetition 2-3 times a week.

+1 Very Happy
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down