365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Ryan Hall Helped Meb Win...

+5
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Jerry
ounce
Nick Morris
9 posters

Go down

How Ryan Hall Helped Meb Win... Empty How Ryan Hall Helped Meb Win...

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 am

Here is a great article explaining how the Americans worked together to beat the Africans...

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/04/untold-story-american-teamwork-ryan-hall-helped-meb-keflezighi-win-boston/?fb_action_ids=764015310608&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[235976339940425]&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[]
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

How Ryan Hall Helped Meb Win... Empty Re: How Ryan Hall Helped Meb Win...

Post  ounce Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Yes.  Yes, it was very good.  Shame I didn't get to see the race.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Hat off to Hall.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Jerry wrote:Hat off to Hall.

Yes, he an the other elite Americans did the right thing on that day!! Go USA!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 pm

I've heard about marathoners from other countries running strategically with teammates to ensure that one of them wins, but not so much with Americans. Nice to see that it works for us, too!  Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Great story and incredibly unselfish race for all of them.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Amazing and I agree. Here is the troubling thing I see. I said it in the London Olympics ( where Meb ALMOST got the bronze even in tough conditions) and I will say it again. I love Meb. The man is a CLASS act. Right down to his toes. What he did in New York City with that runner was nothing short of amazing. We cannot rely on Meb forever. I know we old guys love it, but Meb will be 41 by Rio. I mean, as tough as Meb is, shoot, I would not put it past him to win it. Smile. But how far do we make (my term) Meb carry the load? Am I being too tough?
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 pm

I think you just sit back and enjoy watching a guy who may have just cemented himself as the greatest American marathoner ever.  Somebody will come along soon enough to fill his shoes.  The number of runners that are starting to run marathons earlier and earlier is growing and while we may not see an American pull off what Wanjiru did, seeing someone under 25 jump to the front of the pack wouldn't surprise me.  I think, based on some anecdotal knowledge, that many elite Americans "fear" the marathon and really have little interest in running them unfortunately.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Did not Carlos Lopes win a major marathon 40?  He was 37 when he won the Olympic Marathon in LA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 am

That's an amazing story, I really admire him for doing that.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:45 pm

I still don't get it.  I mean I understand the tactic, but why would a bunch of elites get bamboozled like that?  I get it that they thought they could catch Meb, but in the end couldn't.  Miscalculation for sure. 

If most had PRs better than Meb, I'm sure his pace wouldn't have pushed them over the top and am surprised that a few didn't go with him at the 15k mark.

I also wonder why they just don't go for a time that they think will win and stick to it.  If they're way ahead at a pace they can run they can relax the pace a bit, if they fall behind they can make a last gasp effort.  I think they over think it in my humble non-elite brain of mine.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Also what's the real purpose of a pacer at this level?  Can't they follow a watch like the rest of us?  Is a "slower" pacer really a more reliable pace setter?  Hmmmm.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 pm

mountandog wrote:I still don't get it.  I mean I understand the tactic, but why would a bunch of elites get bamboozled like that?  I get it that they thought they could catch Meb, but in the end couldn't.  Miscalculation for sure. 

If most had PRs better than Meb, I'm sure his pace wouldn't have pushed them over the top and am surprised that a few didn't go with him at the 15k mark.

I also wonder why they just don't go for a time that they think will win and stick to it.  If they're way ahead at a pace they can run they can relax the pace a bit, if they fall behind they can make a last gasp effort.  I think they over think it in my humble non-elite brain of mine.
Interesting, Yes, Michael, but I once heard an interview with Ingrid Christiansen, I beleive, about Joanie's run in LA in the 84 Olympics.  They just let her go figuring that they would run her down later, and well, they never did.  You never know what motivates and Meb certainly had it on Monday.  I think the races are often so tactical that you don't think you will get fooled, and that is what Ryan was trying to do by telling the other guys not to chase. Make the Kenyans think they can get him, and one almost did.  Meb just had an extra hand and wings for that last mile and we know where that came from now, don't we?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm

mountandog wrote:Also what's the real purpose of a pacer at this level?  Can't they follow a watch like the rest of us?  Is a "slower" pacer really a more reliable pace setter?  Hmmmm.

It's got a lot less to do with pacing than it does with working together to make the pace you're running easier. At those speeds, there's actually a pretty decent amount of air to be run through, which takes some extra energy to do. By running together and sharing the workload, the group can run faster for longer than one person can alone, which is why the group usually ends up running down the lone wolf (well, that along with the fact that running too fast early in a race is usually a really bad idea).
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

mul21 wrote:
mountandog wrote:Also what's the real purpose of a pacer at this level?  Can't they follow a watch like the rest of us?  Is a "slower" pacer really a more reliable pace setter?  Hmmmm.

It's got a lot less to do with pacing than it does with working together to make the pace you're running easier.  At those speeds, there's actually a pretty decent amount of air to be run through, which takes some extra energy to do.  By running together and sharing the workload, the group can run faster for longer than one person can alone, which is why the group usually ends up running down the lone wolf (well, that along with the fact that running too fast early in a race is usually a really bad idea).

yes-ah -- some truth there.  the peloton effect.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down