365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight loss tips

+12
Tom H
ChasMcG
ounce
Penelope
Kenny B.
Liz R
Julie
Jerry
Nick Morris
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Peg Coover
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weight loss tips Empty Weight loss tips

Post  Peg Coover Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 am

In Penelope's blog we were talking about weight loss, so I thought I'd start this thread.

Share your weight loss tips here please!

I'll start with one that I know works for a lot people. Log what you eat! I lost 15 or so pounds several years ago and one thing I did at that time was used fitday.com to log everything I ate. It takes time, but seeing the graph of what I was eating and watching the calories add up helped me be more mindful of what I was eating and how much!

On a similar note, different people watch different things when they diet: Low fat, Low carb, Low sugar.....etc! I think no matter what if you are paying attention to what you are eating, you will eat less!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Weight loss tips Empty Re: Weight loss tips

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

Stop confusing boredom and/or thirst with hunger.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 am

Um. Consume fewer calories than you expend? Cool

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:03 am

Mr MattM wrote:Um. Consume fewer calories than you expend? Cool

Exactly...Weight loss tips 424776184
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 am

Cut/skip dinner.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:06 am

Seriously, I think it comes down to a lifestyle change. I hate the word diet, as diets are only temporary. A change in lifestyle is something that is a long term solution. We are all creature of habit.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 am

Jerry wrote:Cut/skip dinner.

This will only work for short term weight loss. What normally happens is that after you skip a meal, you end up eating more the next time you eat. Not to mention all of the nutrients that you are depriving your body. Especially for us runners.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 am

Nick Morris wrote:Seriously, I think it comes down to a lifestyle change. I hate the word diet, as diets are only temporary. A change in lifestyle is something that is a long term solution. We are all creature of habit.

Yeah I think it has to do with eating for physical hunger and not for other reasons. Obviously filling up on healthy foods will get you further/give more long term energy than eating brownies and cookies but vowing to never eat sugar again is probably not going to work long term.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:31 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Jerry wrote:Cut/skip dinner.

This will only work for short term weight loss. What normally happens is that after you skip a meal, you end up eating more the next time you eat. Not to mention all of the nutrients that you are depriving your body. Especially for us runners.

Of cause, we get to our goal, and worry about the unintended consequence later. lol!

The truth is dinner is really obsolete.

I watched a TV story about a lady, who wanted weight loss, but hated sports of any kind all her life. She ended up losing by simply switching dinner with breakfast. Weird, but makes all the sense.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

I make an effort to eat five to seven servings of fruits and veggies a day, and consume three of dairy. Fine, I ought to be doing that every day, but when I think I've gone too far eating cake and cookies, it works to pull me back in. Thinking about what I shouldn't eat just makes me hungry for it. Thinking about what I should eat works better.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Change weight loss to weight awareness. Using the word "loss" feels like you one day will "find" it again or want to find it. Therefore weight loss becomes a never ending game of lost and found lost and found. I prefer to look at my weight through mindful eating and weight awareness. I am aware at this particular weight I feel ____________ but at this weight I feel _____________. I prefer feeling __________ so I will be mindul of what I put into my body so I can achieve the feeling of ___________. The word loss never needs to come into the equation.

Then again if you understand anything I said above you might want to seek mental help.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Eat slowly. During residency I learned to inhale my food while things were quiet on call because you don't know how your night will go. If you eat really quickly just to get it done, you can eat a whole lot more without even realizing you're full.

This is obvious, but only eat if you're truly hungry and not because it's dinner time and convenient. Again, another bad habit from residency. It's 6:45, I'm not hungry yet, but the cafeteria closes at 7, and this night looks like it could be bad, so probably should eat, it may be the last meal for the next 10-15 hours.

Never eat because you're tired and eating will help make you stay awake by giving you something to focus on.

Between those 3 patterns and not running, I gained 20 lbs.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:10 pm

I agree about the lifestyle change, if a change needs to be made. It was in my case.

But, IMO, there has to be a target/a carrot, SOMETHING to motivate you that isn't food. Read all you want about the different diets, but glom onto something you believe in and stick to it until it doesn't work.

My biggest tip would be to stop treating food as comfort or an emotional item. It's fuel. That's it. Only give it what's best for it, not your taste buds.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Seriously, I think it comes down to a lifestyle change. I hate the word diet, as diets are only temporary. A change in lifestyle is something that is a long term solution. We are all creature of habit.

Absolutely agree. Lifestyle change not just a 2 month diet with 4 days of "I've been doing so good. This pizza won't hurt"
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 pm

When I started running I was very over weight. Even though it's been a slow loss, I've never gone up, always down and now I'm at the weight I was when I got pregnant with my 2nd child.

Obviously, exercise and eating less calories than you burn. But sometimes people need a little help depending on age/gender/job. I take a fatburner too. Oxyelite has really worked well for me this last year. Now trust me, I'm not big on taking meds. Since I stopped doing drugs, I'm pretty cautious about what I put into my body, but this is a good one. Doesn't make me feel bad but I have noticed an actual change in my body I didn't get from running. I'm more tone/lean. It's pretty expensive especially if you buy it at GNC but you can find it online for a decent price.

With this though, you have to stay active and still eat right. Get out! Enjoy your life!!!!

Stay away from these strange programs like Atkins, South Beach, Acai. You'll lose but you will most likely gain it back plus another 10 pounds.

Be patient. It's hard but you have to or you'll fail.
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 pm

ChasMcG wrote:I take a fatburner too. Oxyelite has really worked well for me this last year.

I used to take ephedra and felt like that stuff really helped me drop weight. Of course, everything good has to eventually be regulated and/or banned. Evil or Very Mad

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:I take a fatburner too. Oxyelite has really worked well for me this last year.

I used to take ephedra and felt like that stuff really helped me drop weight. Of course, everything good has to eventually be regulated and/or banned. Evil or Very Mad

I did take that a few times before the banning. But I can kinda understand why they banned it. That was pretty close to speed to me especially when you're trying to recover. It was like Meth without the foil and rotten teeth Very Happy
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:01 am

Yeah... funny thing is, it's still technically legal. The FDA banned it but cannot write it's own legislation because the herbal ingredient was classified as GRAS (generally regarded as safe). The legislation to officially ban ephedra has to be submitted to the House of Representatives for approval and that hasn't been done. I think that since the big retailers responded by taking those products off the shelf, the FDA is happy. So, you can still find ephedra... not that I would take it. Now. As far as you know.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:11 am

Mr MattM wrote:Yeah... funny thing is, it's still technically legal. The FDA banned it but cannot write it's own legislation because the herbal ingredient was classified as GRAS (generally regarded as safe). The legislation to officially ban ephedra has to be submitted to the House of Representatives for approval and that hasn't been done. I think that since the big retailers responded by taking those products off the shelf, the FDA is happy. So, you can still find ephedra... not that I would take it. Now. As far as you know.

Ah gotcha Wink
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 am

Keep the tips coming!

When we eat out, I always only eat half (or less even) of what comes on my plate. If I order a burger, I cut it in half right away. Restaurant portions are ridiculously huge.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:44 pm

ChasMcG wrote:

Be patient. It's hard but you have to or you'll fail.

Spot on.... Weight loss tips 424776184
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:49 pm

ChasMcG wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

I did take that a few times before the banning. But I can kinda understand why they banned it. That was pretty close to speed to me especially when you're trying to recover. It was like Meth without the foil and rotten teeth Very Happy

Ok maybe I'm the only one on these boards in this particular stage of life but I can't take anything really because I'm breastfeeding and I'm likely going to be pregnant before I wean my toddler so there goes any supplements other than prenatal vitamins. Not that I'm complaining because I've taken caffeine pills and a few other mostly-caffeine over the counter/very legal/but made me feel awful pills and they were probably not that smartest thing I've done.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Peg Coover wrote:Keep the tips coming!

When we eat out, I always only eat half (or less even) of what comes on my plate. If I order a burger, I cut it in half right away. Restaurant portions are ridiculously huge.

1) Peg, that's a big one. There have been a number of studies comparing restaurant portion sizes today with those in the 70's and the sizes have grown significantly - along with the calories you ingest when you eat it. Get over the idea that since you paid for it, you should eat it all. As was pointed out above, you are ingesting fuel, and you can get great satisfaction from ingesting half as much of something that tastes great when you add in the satisfaction you get from exercising the self control.

2) Become nutritionally aware. Log what you eat as was pointed out above. Go low tech and use a notebook if you have to, but there are a lot of good internet sites (Sparkpeople, etc.) or iPhone apps (Lose It) that are free and give you easy access to the nutritional information related to what you are doing. Some of them, like Lose It, also allow you to put in your exercise and tells you how much more you have left in calories to consume that day to meet your weight loss goal. It is a REAL learning experience to find out that eating 1 chocolate chip cookie from the bakery completely, more than completely at 1.5x, offsets swimming a mile or requires you to run another 4+ miles to burn it off. It'll make you think twice about eating that cookie.

3) Don't eat because you are bored. An awful lot of calories can be consumed sitting there watching TV without you even thinking about it or realizing the magnitude of what you are eating. If you can, clean out your pantry of the nutritionally useless high calorie stuff so you won't be tempted. When you do snack, don't take the bag of chips to the couch with you, pour some in a bowl and limit yourself to eating just that amount. Better yet, when you feel that urge to graze, go for a walk.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Tom H wrote:

3) Don't eat because you are bored. An awful lot of calories can be consumed sitting there watching TV without you even thinking about it or realizing the magnitude of what you are eating. If you can, clean out your pantry of the nutritionally useless high calorie stuff so you won't be tempted. When you do snack, don't take the bag of chips to the couch with you, pour some in a bowl and limit yourself to eating just that amount. Better yet, when you feel that urge to graze, go for a walk.

I read a lot of fiction and if the characters are eating or drinking wine, I find myself craving some good food or wine too! I'm sure a similar thing happens when watching tv.

I'm good at limiting, my husband is not! Before he knows it he has gone back for 3-4 handfuls of chips or eaten 10 cookies (when we have them).

I've made myself go outside and either pull weeds, pick up twigs, or walk if I'm so bored all I want to do is eat.

Great tips Tom!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not - (Edit: I see Tom H just did above.)

My doctor turned me onto www.sparkpeople.com, like a FaceBook for dieters.

I used it to track everything I ate and my weight. I also joined some groups, made some friends, and I lost 50 pounds. One of my SparkPeople friends gave me the ecouragement to train for a marathon after running a 5K on a whim.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next