365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel belt during marathon

+8
Tim M
Kenny B.
charles.moman
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
Stephanie
Penelope
Julie
12 posters

Go down

Fuel belt during marathon Empty Fuel belt during marathon

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

What do you all use to carry fuel, specifically, I can't use GU and just safety pin them to my shorts, I eat gummy bears and pretzels. Now none of my shorts or shirts have pockets so I'm wondering what I should do for my next marathon. I have a fuel belt that has a water bottle but I think that will be a little much to carry during a race (a little too heavy and hot and there will be plenty of water on the course).

Also I have heard of race ready shorts, but does anyone here use them or have recommendations? Thank you!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Fuel belt during marathon Empty Re: Fuel belt during marathon

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Julie wrote:What do you all use to carry fuel, specifically, I can't use GU and just safety pin them to my shorts, I eat gummy bears and pretzels. Now none of my shorts or shirts have pockets so I'm wondering what I should do for my next marathon. I have a fuel belt that has a water bottle but I think that will be a little much to carry during a race (a little too heavy and hot and there will be plenty of water on the course).

Also I have heard of race ready shorts, but does anyone here use them or have recommendations? Thank you!

I have a pair of race-ready shorts. They have a bunch of pockets, and I bet if you divided your pretzels into small bags they'd work. Same with gummy bears, but not sure how to keep them from melting if they're up close to your body. Can you take the water bottle out of the fuel belt and just wear the belt? If not, I'd say get a pair of race ready shorts. (I think they also have shirts too.) Or use duct tape to tape the baggies onto your legs or something maybe?
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah I thought about taking the water bottle out it is just pretty wide and thick material so it does get kind of hot. Some of my friends bought these little skinny bags with zippers at an expo and I'm wondering about something like that (not designed to hold water just keys and a few little snacks).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 pm

What about a Spi belt although maybe that's what your friends bought? I have one and I like it - small, but not too small & pretty streamlined. I use it to carry my odd snacks since I too stay away from the gels.

http://www.spibelt.com/
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Stephanie O wrote:What about a Spi belt although maybe that's what your friends bought? I have one and I like it - small, but not too small & pretty streamlined. I use it to carry my odd snacks since I too stay away from the gels.

http://www.spibelt.com/

Yes, that's the one, my one friend said she loves it (I just asked her). I think I will get one. Do you use one?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Stephanie O wrote:What about a Spi belt although maybe that's what your friends bought? I have one and I like it - small, but not too small & pretty streamlined. I use it to carry my odd snacks since I too stay away from the gels.

[url=http://www.spibelt.com/
http://www.spibelt.com/[/quote[/url]]

I use a spibelt to carry my fuel during marathons. I am able to fit 5 GUs and 2 packages of jelly beans...probably could fit more, too...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 am

I used to carry the belt until I think Jeff F made mention of the Race Ready shorts in other forum. I love them. As already mentioned they have plenty of pockets. I've carried gels, fig newtons, SCaps, and my car key.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 am

I run only in RaceReady shorts - they are great. I like the two small pockets in the front with a velcro flap. My cell phone is small enough to fit into them. You could bag up what you need and stick them in the back pockets. I have two pair of them - black and red. I lke the red best and I wish they had funky patterns too.

Last edited by charles.moman on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:42 am

Julie wrote:Yes, that's the one, my one friend said she loves it (I just asked her). I think I will get one. Do you use one?
I do and it's pretty handy. It's pretty discrete too and yet I can get a fair amount of snacks in it. I have an all black one and it just blends in with my shorts. When I don't have to carry fluids it's so much better than still contending with a fuel belt for snacks. I hope it works well for you too!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 am

I find running a water around my waist to be annoying. I used to run this way until I realized an handheld worked better for me. In races I use the water on the station no belts but I do use shorts that have 2 side pockets (brooks) I can usually fit 2 gu's in each pocket and then pin 2 more to my shorts. That said I have had issues in hydrating in some of my marathons and boy I would love to have water on me and not wait for station.

I'd suggest shorts with pockets either raceready or brooks with the 2 pockets on side and I'd probably rather run with a handheld for a marathon then a fuel belt but most likely never will either.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 am

Kenny B. wrote:I do use shorts that have 2 side pockets (brooks) I can usually fit 2 gu's in each pocket and then pin 2 more to my shorts.

I run in Brooks shorts also. I carry 4 GU packs. What I do is put two in each pocket and pin the tops of the packets to the waistband. It works great since they do not move around (or come out of the pocket).
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am

I use the SPI belt for races and it is great. You can put a number of Gus in there.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:I used to carry the belt until I think Jeff F made mention of the Race Ready shorts in other forum. I love them. As already mentioned they have plenty of pockets. I've carried gels, fig newtons, SCaps, and my car key.

I'm a fan of RaceReady shorts - five mesh pockets around the back, and I load 'em up with GUs, wet-wipes, salt tabs, etc. Also two small velcro closure side pockets for credit card, cash, or key.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rhondda h Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Race ready has skorts that are super comfy and cute. I also have a spi belt. It's comfy and holds quite a bit but if you stuff it you'll have to be careful when you take out a gu to make sure the other stuff in it doesn't drop to the ground.
rhondda h
rhondda h

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Pete B wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:I used to carry the belt until I think Jeff F made mention of the Race Ready shorts in other forum. I love them. As already mentioned they have plenty of pockets. I've carried gels, fig newtons, SCaps, and my car key.

I'm a fan of RaceReady shorts - five mesh pockets around the back, and I load 'em up with GUs, wet-wipes, salt tabs, etc. Also two small velcro closure side pockets for credit card, cash, or key.

The thing I hate about RaceReady shorts is the bouncing up and down of whatever I have in the pockets as I run. For some reason I just don't feel comfortable...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks all for the advice. I ordered a Spi belt. I thought about the race ready shorts quite a bit but I thought this might be a more long term solution since the shorts would wear out in a couple of years anyway and then I'd be stuck buying another 35 dollar pr of shorts.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Another tip for hydration that I read which I used and like. Carry a 16-20oz sports bottle of gatorade, or replace it with water, with one of those twist tops. Carry it for the first 6-8 miles, skip the water stations (really good for the mega marathons) and then throw it away when empty. You tend to be fresh at the beginning of a race, at least you'd better be, and you don't even notice you're carrying it. You drink at your leisure, you don't spill sticky stuff all over you, and you get the right amount -- no spillage and guessing how much you drank. Bonus - you're not tossing away a $10 sports bottle.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down