365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK

+32
John Kilpatrick
jon c
Jim Lentz
GregC
Penelope
Michael Enright
ChasMcG
Tom H
JohnP
mul21
Julie
Mrs. Schuey
Liz R
KathyK
Mark B
Admin
Tim M
Tea from RonItch
Schuey
Dave Wolfe
Seth Harrison
Jerry
dot520
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Mike MacLellan
Ken Mello
Kenny B.
Matt W
Chris M
Natalie
36 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 7 Empty Re: I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Post  Natalie Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Liz, I think it's predicted that the temps will be in the 110s-120s in late July and early August. They will be travelling in a group of Maccabia kids from all over, so about 1200 kids, and probably don't want to risk a bunch of kids getting sick from heatstroke. I'm not worried about it, because Sarah's been there before and will be there again. That and there are so many other things to do while in Israel. Some parents are fuming, however...

I'm thankful that I have a gym membership where I have the option to run on an indoor track or treadmill. Yesterday I chose the track for 3 miles. Today I went with the treadmill. 5 miles w/ 4x800 at some fairly fast speed that I need to look up... 9:12 according to the pace conversion chart. Well... it seemed fast but it was 0% grade. Anyway, I was in front of a big window and even with the fan on, I was HOT. I could not stop sweating after. This is a step back week, so I'm lucky in that way too. I can run indoors and yet it's a reasonable amount. Saturday is another 6 and I can do that on the track. Sunday is 8 and if I run to the J, run 4 on the track, and run home, that will be 8. What sucks is that this is the kind of heat where you can't even get up early to beat it. I mean... 90 degrees at night???.... what's with that???

Stay cool everyone!
Twisted Evil
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 7 Empty Re: I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Post  jon c Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:52 am

Definitely nice to have indoor options when it's hot. I hear you on the can't stop sweating thing. After I come in from indoors, it pours down me. Then after taking a cool or lukewarm shower, I still sweat buckets seemingly for about 15 minutes! I always hope to have stopped by the time I get back to work.Embarassed Guess it takes the body that long to cool the core temp.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 am

Yes it is hot hot hot and if it's like what we had last week and early this week you are right, 4 or 5 a.m. isn't that tolerable either. I'm glad you have an indoor track and treadmill you can choose.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:47 am

All right Natalie I'm guilty of falling behind in on your blog. Darn me! I need to catch up but in the mean time I just wanted to stop in and say hi and hope you are being safe with this crazy heat we have been having! Oh by the way love the big truck hope you get a RED one!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 pm

5 miles w/ 4x800 is a very nice way to break up the treadmill run. Good luck getting 4 of tomorrow's 8 miler done to and from the J. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but we're supposed to get a slight break from the heat tomorrow.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I could have sworn I posted today. Hmmm.... I wonder whose blog I posted in? They mst be wondering what I was thinking!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:05 am

Yesterday, I posted (somewhere) about my 6 mile run on the indoor track sans headphones. When I got there, I was bummed to find my iPod battery fully discharged for some crazy reason. Instead of going home to charge it and come back later, I decided to enjoy the sound of silence and the HVAC as I ran 48 laps around the gym and indoor pool... An exercise in stamina for sure.

Today is just as hot and humid as every other day this week. I had to run only 8, thankfully, but I knew it would not be easy. I managed by running 3 miles to the gym, then running 3 on the indoor track, and 2 miles home. I stopped the clock at exactly 8 and walked the remaining .3 to my house. After that, I filled the tub with cool water and sat in my improvised swimming pool, reading the paper, drinking coffee, and eating pretzels, for about twenty minutes. Heaven!

Sarah leaves for Israel this afternoon, and she is finally excited. We're so relieved! She watched a movie that I hate last weekend while she was over a friend's. The movie was "13" with Evan Rachel Wood. It's from 2003 and is about an adolescent girl who becomes completely engulfed in her troubled best friend's negative aura. She emulates all of the other girl's worst characteristics, is depressed, and cuts herself. When I saw the movie, years ago, I was very fearful of how easily a 13 year old girl could be manipulated. I never wanted my own daughter to see the movie! Well, Sarah told me she completely related to the Evan Rachel Wood character and felt exactly that way when her cousin, Erica, was living with us. I am so relieved that she saw herself that way, and I think it was a real epiphany for Sarah. She seems to be feeling ALOT better now and even went to the gym to workout this morning with Scott.

So, in honor of Sarah going to Israel and us taking her to the airport (e.g. going out in public), I actually blow dried my hair and will put on some makeup today! I hope you too have a Sunday where you feel like facing the world as a human being, rather than a post-workout, pony-tail wearing slug.

Last edited by Natalie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar!)
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Nice job on the run, Natalie.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Such better news! I hope she has a great trip.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Natalie wrote: An exercise in stamina for sure

Sounds like some sort of mind torture to me... That could be considered cruel and unusual punishment. Good work on getting it done and best of luck to your daughter.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:56 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Natalie wrote: An exercise in stamina for sure

Sounds like some sort of mind torture to me... That could be considered cruel and unusual punishment. Good work on getting it done and best of luck to your daughter.

Amazingly, it wasn't all that bad. I broke it up... 3 miles and 3 miles. When I was almost at mile 5, a very large woman came on the track and was moving pretty quickly. Something between a fast walk and a slow jog. She was there for a pretty long time and eventually I asked her if she was training for something. She told me "no" but she had lost 100 pounds! She was my inspiration for finishing the six without any negative thoughts.

By contrast, today I had music, but the three miles I ran on the same track seemed to take an eternity. I had already run 3 outside to get there and it was brutal.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:23 am

Natalie wrote: She was there for a pretty long time and eventually I asked her if she was training for something. She told me "no" but she had lost 100 pounds! She was my inspiration for finishing the six without any negative thoughts.

Wow! Just saying "Good for her" doesn't begin to give her the credit she's due!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Supposedly, there was a small break in the weather this morning. That was good, because the painter was coming this morning at 7:00AM and I intended to run my easy 3 recovery miles as soon as he got here. By 8:30, he hadn't arrived and I called to find out when he would be here. "I'm coming TOMORROW. TOMORROW is the 26th, not today!" Urrrggghhh!!! He's right! I knew he was coming the day after Sarah left for Israel, but initially, I thought Sarah was leaving on the 25th. So, I missed my weather window and was working out with my trainer at 10:00. That meant I'd have to run on the treadmill sometime today.

I just finished. I used the basement treadmill for the first time since winter. Yuk. So slow. Hard. Boring. Hot. Done. Logged. Smile

Stay cool!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm glad Sarah is doing better and that she is open to talking with you about how she is feeling.That is great. I hope she has a great time in Israel. I would love to go some day. My parents visited last spring and said everyone should go once in this life time.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Julie wrote:. My parents visited last spring and said everyone should go once in this life time.

At least once!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Natalie wrote: Yuk. So slow. Hard. Boring. Hot. Done. Logged. Smile

That's all that matters - good work...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

I actually ran outside today! 6.5 miles. It felt like regular summer weather instead of the Sahara this morning. I think it was 1:09:xx... Slower than on the indoor track, but hilly and of course there is the heat factor...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Excellent! Nice to hear about a run in decent conditions and a positive pace. Good for you.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Wow! I woke up tired and that's how my run went. Just woke up from a nap and the day is half over. That's what 3 miles will do to you!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 am

Way to get those runs done any way you can!

I've been waking up tired this week....what's the deal!?
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Peg Coover wrote:Way to get those runs done any way you can!

I know! It's so hot you have to, but it's making me tired. Blah.

Today I intended to sleep an extra half hour, but I woke up at 6:15 anyway. I got out for my run about 7:15 -- hot already -- but it was a hill day. I find that when there is a focus to the run, I do much better than when it's just a garden variety run. I did 4xhill for a total of 5 miles. Later in the afternoon, I worked out with my trainer at the gym and did a good workout.

Tomorrow is a REST day, and I'm not setting my alarm. 6 days of running in a row is a lot for me.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Natalie wrote:
Peg Coover wrote:Way to get those runs done any way you can!

I know! It's so hot you have to, but it's making me tired. Blah.

Today I intended to sleep an extra half hour, but I woke up at 6:15 anyway. I got out for my run about 7:15 -- hot already -- but it was a hill day. I find that when there is a focus to the run, I do much better than when it's just a garden variety run. I did 4xhill for a total of 5 miles. Later in the afternoon, I worked out with my trainer at the gym and did a good workout.

Tomorrow is a REST day, and I'm not setting my alarm. 6 days of running in a row is a lot for me.

Good job getting the runs in and to be honest I'm happy to read that others are feeling tired and worn out also. I was starting to think that it was just me. Sleep
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 am

6 in a row! I have never done that!

How's it going with the trainer this time around? I've thought about finding a trainer.....

Enjoy the rest day!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

Enjoy the rest day!! This heat is just exhausting.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:04 pm

6 mile "pace" run this morning. I know it's completely unnecessary to say how gross it is outside, even at 7:30 AM. BUT, the run was decent, so no complaints other than the weather. I still prefer it to freezing cold.

Tomorrow 13 is on the schedule. My friend Nora said she wanted to run 7 miles with me, so we'll see. It's usually dependent on how much wine she drinks the night before, whereas I tend to run better when I've had a few drinks the night before... Wink I'm planning on driving to the bike trail, where it's relatively flat, but also because the bathrooms are at regular intervals and I like that.

I'm just trying to follow the training schedule and not overthink anything like pace. I'm 128 miles behind on my running goal for the year (1500) miles, and I'm not sure I'll ever catch up. I'm not going to actually TRY to catch up, but if I do by some miracle, then I'll be pleased.

Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next