365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 4 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
nkrichards wrote:So...I sent an email to Amby and copied it to Molly OKeefe this morning.  I got a reply from Amby!  He said he had only skimmed my story and would read it thoroughly later.  He explained that he was retired and only did freelance work for RW but he would keep the story in his file and talk to the RW editors to see if they might be interested.  Not sure if anything will come of it but it's a start.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I also sent an update to Dr. Baggish...my Boston cardiologist and mentioned my desire to return to Boston.  I couldn't bring myself to actually ask for help obtaining a bib.  I'll wait and see what his response is and then decide if I should ask or not.

In the meantime the best way to get a Boston bib is to earn it!

Ultreya...

Edited to add:

I just got a reply from Dr. Baggish.  He was very encouraging.  He mentioned helping me get to Boston in 2018 if I ran a BQ in November.  He hinted that he might be willing to help even if I didn't BQ but expressed confidence that I would. 

I'm struggling with the idea of accepting a "pity bib" but if I know it's available and I'm not pressured to run a specific time maybe I can relax and run a better race.  I want to earn my way back to Boston but maybe a well run marathon will be enough to make me feel like I earned it even if it is a few seconds short.

Okay...enough talk for today.  I've got a couple office chores to finish up and them I'm headed out into the wind for a run!!! Running Running Running
Far from a pity bib!!!!

Well I'll just have to run that BQ in November and then it won't be!

Tell Joe I'll see him in Boston in 2018.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:28 am

nkrichards wrote:So...I sent an email to Amby and copied it to Molly OKeefe this morning.  I got a reply from Amby!  He said he had only skimmed my story and would read it thoroughly later.  He explained that he was retired and only did freelance work for RW but he would keep the story in his file and talk to the RW editors to see if they might be interested.  Not sure if anything will come of it but it's a start.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I also sent an update to Dr. Baggish...my Boston cardiologist and mentioned my desire to return to Boston.  I couldn't bring myself to actually ask for help obtaining a bib.  I'll wait and see what his response is and then decide if I should ask or not.

Ultreya...

Edited to add:

I just got a reply from Dr. Baggish.  He was very encouraging.  He mentioned helping me get to Boston in 2018 if I ran a BQ in November.  He hinted that he might be willing to help even if I didn't BQ but expressed confidence that I would. 

I'm struggling with the idea of accepting a "pity bib" but if I know it's available and I'm not pressured to run a specific time maybe I can relax and run a better race.  I want to earn my way back to Boston but maybe a well run marathon will be enough to make me feel like I earned it even if it is a few seconds short.

Okay...enough talk for today.  I've got a couple office chores to finish up and them I'm headed out into the wind for a run!!! Running Running Running
Far from a pity bib!!!!

Agreed! If anybody has earned it, it's you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Mark B wrote:

Ultreya...

Edited to add:

Far from a pity bib!!!!

Agreed! If anybody has earned it, it's you.

Thanks Michele and Mark.  I do still want to earn my right to be there but I will admit that if I can't do it safely...and I'm close...I'll accept help.  It will be nice to know that I have that offer as a backup and that as long as I can show I can safely complete a marathon Dr. Baggish will probably help me get there in 2018.  I did put a lot of pressure on myself at CIM and I know that stress is not good for my heart or my race so if this helps lessen the stress level maybe it will help.

I stepped things up a notch this week and I can feel it.  Nothing serious but I can feel some tired muscles and realize that I need to step back for a day or two. 

Sun - Bike 11.4 @ 15.2 mph  HR 133/165  As reported earlier this was my first full ride of the race route since last fall.  Prior to this, my total biking this spring consisted of two outdoor 9 mile rides and 4 30 minute sessions on the trainer.  This was a nice ride all things considered.

Mon - Core/strength
       - Bike to/from pool (11.4 mi)  Ride to the pool went well.  Ride home was slow.  I ran into a head wind plus I was just exhausted.  I just took it slow and easy
       - Swim 2250 yds.  This did not go well.  I was already tired from my bike to the pool and then the workout was all with fins.  My right calf cramped bad!  I finally got it worked out and then the left calf cramped!  I decided to cut the workout short and call it good.  I'm glad I did.  Even with stretching and rolling my right calf is still sore.  Not injured...just sore.  I think the biking and fin combination was more than I was ready for.  Just in case I increased my liquids and electrolytes.

Tues - Pilates
        - 10 mi @ 11:27 HR 143/157  I decided to do my long run early this week as I have the boys for a couple days.  Considering that I got a bit carried away in the first mile and recorded the highest HR of the entire run I'm pretty pleased with how this went.  No calf pain once I got warmed up.

Wed - Core/strength
       - Swim 1850 yds.  Race pace intervals.  I stepped it up a bit this week.  Nice workout!
       - Bike 11.4 @ 13.8  HR 130/148  I wasn't game to bike to swimming today plus it was windy.  The wind died down a little bit in the afternoon so I went ahead and biked the race route...much slower than on Sunday.  It was still pretty windy plus I wanted to keep it pretty conservative so I didn't aggravate the calves.

Thur - Pilates
        - 7 mi @ 10:54 HR 149/166  Hurried home to get this run in while the boys were in preschool.  It was crisp but sunny and I couldn't read my garmin.  By the time I realized the pace I was going I was in mile 4 so I just maintained that effort.  Definitely not low HR but considering the pace as compared to what I've been running it wasn't bad.  I do feel like I can see improvement but it is hard to keep the pace slow.  My legs are wanting to take off and my cardio isn't arguing at all.

I'm going to be able to swim tomorrow but with the boys here that's all I'll be able to fit in.  Probably good as I'm ready for an easy day.  Group run (Eagle Bakery) planned on Saturday.

I'm not rushing things along to quickly but I do feel like I'm making steady progress.  Running miles are up compared to past years at this point but paces are intentionally slower.  I'm putting more time/effort in at the pool than past years.  I need to up my biking miles but I'll get there as the weather improves.  I've been more consistent with the core/strength work and added the Pilates. 

I'm really enjoying the Pilates.  It's a fun social activity plus I think Sara does a good job giving us a good variety, watching our form and increasing the difficulty as we're able.  She's been concentrating a bit on one area each month.  December was core month.  January was hip abductors.  February was balance.  March is shoulders.  We spend a little extra time on her chosen area but still maintain a pretty good balance.  I hope that I'm able to continue to fit it into my schedule as things get busier on the farm.

Hope these boys allow me to relax a bit the next day or so.  They are 2 and 4. Fortunately they have preschool in the morning, Royce still naps in the afternoon and Owen enjoys "writing" so he entertains himself for short periods of time.  They are fun...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:52 pm

"Pity bib" - no such animal for anyone on these boards...except me. Very Happy
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 pm

ounce wrote:"Pity bib" - no such animal for anyone on these boards...except me. Very Happy
Anyone that sets a goal to run for over 10 hours is impressive no matter what the speed!

Finished out the week with...

Fri - Pilates
     - Swim 2050 yds.  Sara coached and we did pretty much all drill work including some backstroke.  Definitely out of our comfort zone but very good for us!  It was challenging to say the least.

Sat - Eagle Bakery Group run  5.2 mi @ 10:28  HR 147/164  Blustery winds and spitting rain...and the route was hilly!  We just kind of naturally split up into 3 loose groups.  I ended up running in the middle group with a couple younger ladies and although it was a bit faster than I've been running it was fine for the distance.  We chatted quite a bit and I enjoyed it.  Not sure about this cinnamon roll afterwards.  I don't eat that much sugar in a week!  I got smarter this time and took it home to share.  A couple runners from Redmond (neighboring town) joined us.  I had an enlightening conversation with Dan about his heart attacks...yes two!  They were much scarier than mine but he's looking good.

Sun - Bike 14.8 mi @ 15.3 mph HR 127/163  This was a scheduled rest day but I looked at the weather forecast for next week and the sun shining on the mountain and changed my plans.  It was chilly but I dressed warm and enjoyed the ride.  Increased the distance a bit today but I'm working my way up slowly.

Owen (the 4 year old) had nightmares Thursday night so I didn't get a lot of sleep.  Poor kid...no wonder he struggles to go to sleep.  I enjoyed having the boys for the two days but grandkids seem to be way more tiring than my own kids were!

Good week.  I'm tired but not exhausted...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 am

Nice week! And smart about sharing those cinnamon buns. Those things can be so sweet!

Sorry about the grandkid and the nightmares... poor kid. And poor grandma! That'll tire you out fast.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 am

I haven't had any cinnamon buns or rolls in a long time.  I do manage a chocolate shake though, about 1 a month, and hopefully they will put in the extra squirt of chocolate I ask for.

I'd sure be curious to know what kind of adjustments can be done to limit nightmares in wee ones, if any.  It doesn't take too many hours awake to get behind the 8 ball on sleep.

Nancy, I've seen fields southwest of town with corn about 4 fingers tall, at this point.  Which begs the question, how did you fare on last year's family corn contest?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice week! And smart about sharing those cinnamon buns. Those things can be so sweet!

Sorry about the grandkid and the nightmares... poor kid. And poor grandma! That'll tire you out fast.

ounce wrote:I haven't had any cinnamon buns or rolls in a long time.  I do manage a chocolate shake though, about 1 a month, and hopefully they will put in the extra squirt of chocolate I ask for.

I'd sure be curious to know what kind of adjustments can be done to limit nightmares in wee ones, if any.  It doesn't take too many hours awake to get behind the 8 ball on sleep.

Nancy, I've seen fields southwest of town with corn about 4 fingers tall, at this point.  Which begs the question, how did you fare on last year's family corn contest?

Mark and Doug...I probably should just run and skip the cinnamon roll completely but I enjoy the social time after the run.  It really is more sugar than I enjoy.  Maybe I'll stick to just coffee next time.  I don't think that would offend anyone.

Doug...we did win the family corn contest again...but just by a couple days.  It's easy to beat Mom and my brother as they still live in Sandy where it's much cooler and things just don't mature as fast.  It's always close with our son, Gary, who lives next door.  We have a slight advantage as our garden has a bit more of a southern exposure and has been a garden longer so the soil is healthier.  The soil temperatures are way to cold to plant corn here yet but we should try and get some of the earlier more cold resistant crops (peas, carrots, beets, spinach etc) in the ground. 

Speaking of planting carrots...we'll be starting to plant the steckling carrots next week.  That's the ones where we actually poke thousands of live carrots in the ground.  We're scheduled to plant 58 acres this year.  We also planted 95 acres of seed to seed carrots last August.  They look good coming out of the winter.  We were lucky to have a good snow cover during the really cold temperatures.  All the carrot seed will harvest in September.

Grandkids have been keeping me busy.  We had the boys again on Tuesday night so that Kevin and Natalie could pick up some equipment in Othello (about a 5 hour drive).  No nightmares this time.  Owen did come in my room at 2:30 to ask if it was morning yet but he went back to bed quickly.  To add to the excitement I got a call from DIL Shannon on Tuesday evening saying that she was sick and Gary was on the way to pick Izzy up from gymnastics.  That left Abby (8 year old) without a ride to the swim party/awards night.  Marty and I loaded up the boys and we all went.  She got an award for swimming more then 60 lengths in 45 minutes during the swim-a-thon.  She swam 74 lengths.  She was pretty excited so I'm glad we took her.

I'm managing to fit in most of my training.  I hope to get out for a run this afternoon as the weather is nice today.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 am

It's been a busy week and I've tried to be flexible to get my training in when the weather is cooperative and I'm not occupied with farming/family obligations.  It's been a good week so far.

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim 2750 yds.  Fin/kicking workout.  Calves cramped again so I finished without fins.

Tue - Pilates
      - 6 mi w/6 x 30 second striders  After several weeks of relatively low HR training I was looking forward to adding a bit of speed.  I got out later than I had hoped but enjoyed this run.  Speed during the striders varied depending on terrain but I kept the average just under 8:00.  It felt awkward at first.  It's been awhile since I've done anything even close to speedy.

Wed - Swim 2250 yards
       - Bike 17 mi @ 14.6 mph  HR 124/156  Added a bit more distance to my bike ride.  My legs are still adjusting to biking and the route I bike is pretty hilly but time in the seat will get me where I want to be.

Thur - Core/strength  We missed this workout on Wed. because the boys were here so I doubled up and did this and Pilates.
        - Pilates
        - 8 mi @ 10:57 Avg HR 145.  I decided to move my long run to Thursday as Saturday is going to be busy and the weather is questionable.  I headed out feeling good and enjoying the sunshine.  At mile 8 I glanced down and saw the stats recorded above.  Woohoo.  I may have gotten a bit carried away.  Mile 9 @ 10:50 HR 151.  Mile 10 @ 10:50 HR 154.  Mile 11 @ 10:21 HR 157.  Mile 12 @ 9:41 HR 162.  Total for the run 12 mi @ 10:47 HR 149/170.  It's been a long time since I've done any running for a significant distance under an 11:00 pace.  I know that even the first 8 miles don't qualify as a true low HR run but for me that's pretty decent.  It did feel good to pick up the pace and finish fast!

I'm paying for that fast finish this morning.  Nothing serious but I can tell I stressed my body more than I have recently.  It's a good feeling.  I looked back at previous training.  I'm way ahead in mileage as compared to any year in the past.  My HR was lower last year but I was on the beta blocker so that isn't a good comparison.  During my peak in 2013 my HR during training was higher.

I don't know if it's the higher volume at an easier pace for the last several weeks or the additional core/strength and Pilates that I've been doing but I'm feeling much stronger.  It will be very interesting to see if the feeling continues as I start to add in more up tempo training.

Swimming later this morning.

Ultreya...

Edited to add:

Tough swim this morning.  After a 600 yard warm up he had us doing the following:

• 400 smooth
  • 300 Fast
  • 300 smooth
  • 300 Fast
  • 200 smooth
  • 300 Fast
  • 100 smooth
  • 300 Fast
  • cool down

The goal was to keep all the fast 300's fast and not fade as our rest became shorter.  I was really feeling the effects of my long fast finish run yesterday.  My 300's should have been 5:45-5:50.  Not today.  They were 5:55, 5:60, 5:60, 5:57.  No that's not a typo.  6:00 is really slow...5:60 sounds much better.  I was actually pretty pleased that I was able to maintain the speed that I did and I finished OK.  It was a much longer, harder workout than we normally do and I was pretty pooped when I started it.

I had hoped to get in a short bike ride this afternoon but I decided against it.  I'll go for a short walk to get the legs moving but I've had a couple HARD days and need to step back a bit.

Time for a walk and then maybe a nap!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Your story is definitely worthy - Nancy.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/mar/26/sextearns-rare-bostmarathspecial-entry/419599/#
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Your story is definitely worthy - Nancy.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/mar/26/sextearns-rare-bostmarathspecial-entry/419599/#

Can't disagree with their decision to give him a bib!  It is nice to know that this is not something totally out of the ordinary.  I'd prefer to earn my bib if I can earn it safely but it is nice to know there are other options out there.

Farming is in full swing.  Carrot planting is always one of the most hectic times on the farm!  Other than not having time to blog, my training is going OK.  I've missed out on some core work but kept up with the rest pretty well.

I was pretty pooped on Saturday but I realized that I'd had 3 very tough days in a row with my longest bike ride, longest run, and longest swim in a very long time.  So I made sure my run and bike were pretty easy on Saturday.

Sat - 5 mi @ 11:30 HR 139/154
      - Bike 12.1 mi @ 14.4 mph  HR 122/150
Nothing to exciting...just kept them both at an easy effort.

Sun - Drove to Vale to get a new puppy.  It was a very long day...15 hours including visiting with old friends.  Skeeter is a border collie.  I think the long day and hours in the car were harder on me than training runs!

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim 2000 yds.  No coach this week.  Kept it easy...felt off.

Tues - 7 mi w/3 @ 9:46  HR during 3 faster miles was 155/164  Overall HR average 145.  I've been wanting to try some MP miles just to see if I still could.  They were on my schedule last week but I didn't feel ready so this was the day.  The paces were 9:52, 9:53 and 9:34 on rolling hills.  Pretty happy with this as MP is actually 10:00.  Granted it was only 3 miles but still...

Wed - Swim 2500 yds.  Maura put a workout on the board for us as Tim and Sara have the week off.  It was almost entirely drills.  My calves cramped a bit and I had to abandon the fins for the last few laps but it was a fun, challenging workout.

I've been feeling a bit off lately.  I have pushed pretty hard but eased off and stepped back over the weekend.  I'm not worried just a bit nervous.  I'm still able to train OK and my resting HR is staying where it belongs so I'm thinking it's just caused by getting out of my routine (Sunday trip to Vale) and the stress of carrot planting.  I'll be cautious for a few days.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Not much of an off-season for you, is it? I'd have thought you'd have a bit more time before getting into the thick of farming again. No wonder you're feeling a bit off, though. You just added a bunch of activity to your life again! (And that 15-hour day? Oof.)

The new pup will love the farm. So much room to be a dog! Do you think he'll be a running dog?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Yeah, I think Skeeter just might get tired enough...after hours and hours of running and running and running.  Not to mention herding the grandkids and some of the workers.  They're so smart, fast, and eager to please.  Get one of those ball throwers to give your throw some extra distance!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Excuse me - where are the puppy pictures?????  My daughter has taken a job in Atlanta and will live here in the condo we bought (even when I'm back in OH for the fall) and wants to get a puppy. We lost our dog in December, 2015, and I'm ok without, but she is really pushing for one.  Soooooo, please post a picture so I can live vicariously through yours.  I'm not sure I'm ready for the commitment.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Excuse me - where are the puppy pictures?????  My daughter has taken a job in Atlanta and will live here in the condo we bought (even when I'm back in OH for the fall) and wants to get a puppy. We lost our dog in December, 2015, and I'm ok without, but she is really pushing for one.  Soooooo, please post a picture so I can live vicariously through yours.  I'm not sure I'm ready for the commitment.
Did you daughter give up on Tennessee?

And will your daughter take the puppy out every morning to pee?  Will she clean up after the dog voids everywhere? Laughing
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, she gave up on Tennessee - can't take those rednecks - lol.  And that is the point regarding the puppy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Mulligan... - Page 4 Skeete11
Mulligan... - Page 4 Skeete10

I'm not sure I did this the way Mark taught me...but I think this will work.  Introducing Skeeter...and Owen & Royce.  I have no plans to run with Skeeter.  He's a farm dog!  His job is to hang out on the farm and bark when people show up...especially at night when they are uninvited and lurking around the fuel tank.  He is also supposed to keep the deer and raccoons out of the garden.  Two important lessons at this point are (1) the boundaries of the farm where he's supposed to stay...so I don't want to take him outside those boundaries.  And (2) he needs to bond with Marty so we're trying to make sure Marty is the main caregiver and companion.  But we all take turns giving him a bit of attention.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 pm

It has been an absolute zoo around here!  But I've been getting my training in...and having a blast.  I joined an awesome group bike ride on Friday.  I'll try to post more details later.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Wow...what a day!  Spring is always windy here but this is just crazy!

Brief update...

Thurs - 6.5 mi w/8 x :30 striders  Avg strider @ 7:18  HR 144/169  Feels good to get out there and move!

Fri - Core/strength
     - Swim 1850 yds
     - Bike 33 mi.  Group ride...very social.  I'll try and post details and a photo.  I really enjoyed this.

Sat -10 mi @ 11:13  HR 143/163  Jello legs after my bike ride yesterday.

Sun - Rest

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim 2350 yds
       - Bike 12 mi @ 15.4 mph  HR 140/177

Tues - Pilates
        - 6.5 mi w/8 x :30 striders  Avg strider @7:15  HR 152/174

Wed - Swim 2450 yds.  Tough workout with fast intervals.  I was pleased with the results considering how tired I was.
       - Bike to/from pool (11.5 mi)

Thurs - Pilates
         - 6.5 mi w/4 @ 9:38  HR 152/165  Jumped out of the tractor at 5:00 for what was supposed to be 4 mi @ MP.  I may have been a bit excited...and I'm paying for it this morning.

Fri - Core/strength
     -  Off to swimming shortly.  I'm going to have to go a bit early and cut the workout a bit short as I have grandkid commitments all afternoon/evening.

The good news is my resting HR is staying at a very appropriate level...right around 50.  I'm training harder and getting sore/tired but recovering well.  I'm fitting in pretty much all my training even though we're really busy on the farm.  I will admit that I've been lax on my stretching/rolling and I need to get on top of that.

See puppy pictures a couple posts above...I'll try and post a photo of our group bike ride later.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 am

Busy weekend with the grand kids but I did manage to fit in some nice training.

Sat - 12 mi @ 11:30.  HR 144/159 The goal was to keep it slow and easy and I did OK.  HR a bit higher than I would have liked but not bad.

Sun - Bike 30.6 mi.  I intended to bike closer to 25 mi but I missed the turn to the shortcut.  This was a long slow slog in very unpleasant headwinds.  I didn't worry much about speed and kept the effort as easy as I could.  I did get the time in the seat that I need!  And I was glad to be home at the end of it.

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim 2250 yds.  Challenging interval workout.  I was hoping for an easy swim.  Coach Tim doesn't do easy swims.  I settled in and swam pretty well considering how tired I was.

I've been putting in some time in the tractor including Monday afternoon.  We're hoping to finish the carrot planting today.  Rain is in the prediction for early afternoon.  I hope we can finish before it arrives.  It would be a hassle to have to stop with only an hour or two left!!  Struggled to find a good crew earlier but they have settled in and are doing pretty well now.

Off to Pilates and then I'll jump back in the tractor to help out until the rains hit.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:09 am

Tractor time is making things tough!  But I needed to force myself to take a step back week so maybe it's all for the best.  We did finish planting carrots on Tuesday.  A few more hectic days as we work ground and get the last of the spring crops planted.  Water arrived in the ditch late yesterday afternoon.  We don't plan to start irrigating till Monday.  Spring time on the farm...

Tues - Pilates, a surprise birthday coffee get together with the swim group and then I spent the rest of the day in the tractor.

Wed - Core/strength
       - Swim 2800 yds  Mostly kicking!
       - Back in the tractor

Thur - Pilates
        - Marty offered to take me to Bend (an hour away) for my birthday lunch and errands as it had rained a bit overnight.  I didn't really have time but he doesn't offer often so off we went.  I got my bike serviced and got a new tire, ran some errands and we had a nice lunch.  Time well spent.
        - 6.5 mi w/8 x 400  Avg 2:04 (@ 8:17)  HR 152/173  Dashed off for some speed work when we got home from town.  Went very well considering it was my first sustained effort at speed work in a long time.  I do these on rolling hills rather than on the track so don't expect super fast splits.  Pleased with this workout.

Fri - Core/strength
     - Swim 2350 yds  Mostly with paddles!
     - Bike 11.5 to/from pool
     - Back in the tractor

Two group events today!  I'll let you know how it goes...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:17 pm

Saturday was fun.

4 mi @ 11:38  I started with the Eagle Bakery run.  There were lots of walkers and fast people but only one other runner with goals similar to mine.  She's a friend of my kids and recently had a baby.  We opted to run the "M" hill going up and over and then returning the same way.  She needed to walk a bit on the return trip but it was a challenging run and we took it slow so we could chat.  I had a very small piece of coffee cake instead of a full cinnamon roll and headed to the next event.

5 mi trail run @ 10:25  The Canyon Crawl is normally a 7 mile walking event but they advertised it as a run or walk this year.  The creek was running high and they didn't think it was safe to cross so they bused us to an access road and we only ran 5 miles.  The access road was steep and rough and had lots of loose rocks.  That first mile was very difficult.  Once we hit the actual trail conditions improved.  Once again lots of walkers and speedsters and only one other runner with similar goals.  Rich is in his late 60's or early 70's and I know him from the local events but don't know him well.  We jogged along together for the first 2.5 miles and then he needed to walk so I jogged on by myself.  I enjoyed getting to know him better.  Once we got to the lake our pre-ordered lunches were waiting for us at the café and once everyone arrived and ate they bused us back to town.  I visited with several of the speedy runners over lunch.  The trail did expose a few muscles that I haven't been aware of while running exclusively on roads.

I'm a bit self conscious about wearing my Boston shirt but I decided that I'd wear it this weekend.  I'm glad I did...it started a very nice conversation with Jamie (she started MADras runners).  Jamie finished Boston in 2013 shortly before the bomb went off.  We were both feeling a bit melancholy on our Boston anniversary.

So thoughts for the week:

• This social stuff is getting a bit scary.  I've never been a very social person and I'm actually starting to enjoy it.
  • It was time for a step back week and a step back week it was.
  • My resting HR had been creeping up...not enough to concern me but enough to make me take notice.  That trend has reversed and it's creeping back down nicely. 

Hope everyone had a happy Easter.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 am

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim 2600 yds.  After the warmup the workout had lots of kicking and 2000 yds with fins.  I made it through 1500 yds with the fins before I started to feel some cramping and pulled the fins to finish the workout barefoot.  No cramping once I removed the fins.
       - Bike 11.5 to/from pool

Tue - Pilates
      - 6.5 mi w/4x800  Avg 4:21 HR 155/176  Tough workout...maybe to tough.  I need to be careful that I don't push to hard during individual workouts.

So irrigation water has arrived.  Marty and I discussed maybe trying to get up early 2 or 3 days a week so that we could continue to do our core/strength workout.  Not sure I'll be able to cope with getting up that early...I struggle to get enough sleep as it is.  I can do the core work later in the day if I'm motivated but that doesn't help Marty.  We'll have to see how it goes as we settle into our summer routine.

I'm learning how much life's stresses affect my HR and recovery.  As we've transitioned into our busy time of year I've been struggling to get my training in while keeping up with my office responsibilities and help out on the tractor when they need me.  Marty has been as supportive as possible but I still feel like I need to carry my weight on the farm.  I've been tired...partly from increased training stress...but I think primarily from increased stress in the rest of my life

We did get rain on Monday night so I was able to take the time to watch the pre-recorded Boston marathon.  Fun to watch even though I already knew the outcome.  I also was able to make a huge dent in my to-do list.  It had been getting ridiculously long!  I've still got several things to do to finish up the list but should be able to make more progress today.  And then I need to tackle the task of budgeting for the coming season so they can make some equipment purchasing decisions.

Guess I better tackle that to-do list during the time I have before swimming...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Wed - Swim 2300 yds  Coach Sara downloaded one of Katie Ledecky's workouts.  Tim and Sara both swam it early Wednesday.  It was an IM workout and since we pretty much just do freestyle Tim had to make some adjustments so that we could do it at masters.  It was a TOUGH workout.  Tim mentioned that he thought I was doing my early intervals to easy to make sure I could finish as fast or faster than I started.  He's probably right but boy did I have to work at doing them all just a few seconds faster.
       - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.  I was exhausted after our swim and there was a headwind going home.  Damn those hills!

Thur - Pilates
        - 7 mi w/5 @ 9:47 HR 151/167  The goal was 5 miles at MP (9:55-10:00) today.  My last attempt at a 4 mile MP run ended up being at a 9:36 pace so I was conscious of the need to slow down a bit.  This was still a bit fast but I was at 9:55...right on target...until I sped up to 9:13 for the last mile.  I guess as long as I don't go to fast until the end and as long as I can speed up at the end then I'm not doing to much harm.

It's spring time in Central Oregon!  (No, that does not mean the sun is shining.  It means the wind is blowing.)

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Well, young lady, you might be on the verge of overdoing things.  Maybe think about hiring a clerk or getting some high school or community college person that's on an accounting track to learn some of your bookkeeping tasks.  Just don't tell me that it'd be easier to just do it, rather than teaching someone.

And maybe let Marty pick up a task or two.  You're better off vertical than horizontal.  Pride is a booger.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum