365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 5 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:47 am

ounce wrote:Well, young lady, you might be on the verge of overdoing things.  Maybe think about hiring a clerk or getting some high school or community college person that's on an accounting track to learn some of your bookkeeping tasks.  Just don't tell me that it'd be easier to just do it, rather than teaching someone.

And maybe let Marty pick up a task or two.  You're better off vertical than horizontal.  Pride is a booger.

LOL  Am I that transparent?

Marty and I went to a farm safety seminar a few years ago that included an activity to help us determine our management style.  Marty and I were both as far into the "Get out of the way. I'll do it myself." corner as you could get.  The fact that we left jobs in the valley in 1989...Marty was a carpenter in commercial construction and I was a licensed tax consultant...to pursue Marty's dream and we struggled to keep our heads above water for a long time made it hard to delegate.  We always laughed that our contribution to our kids college education was a solid work ethic and the ability to qualify for need based financial aid.

Things started to improve in 2006 but at that time I was still getting up early to pack lunches and work in the fields alongside the seasonal workers while maintaining the household and keeping up with the bookwork.  It was 2009 when Marty had a bad fall and shattered his arm just below the shoulder the week before we were scheduled to start planting carrots that he begrudgingly admitted that we needed more help.  We hired a full time worker but when Kevin came home in 2013 I was still changing irrigation water for a couple hours morning and night and Marty, Kevin, and I were still doing 90% of the tractor work.  When I had my cardiac event and couldn't change water the boys made the necessary adjustments and since then I've been careful not to accept responsibility for water unless we're really short handed.  Marty is still struggling to give up the reins but Kevin is encouraging him to give more responsibility to the hired help.  I understand Marty's attitude...we invested out life in this operation...but also realize that we need to let Kevin make more of the decisions and grow this into his farm.  Kevin had been away from the farm for several years and the operation had changed considerably so he spent the first couple years just doing what Marty told him but he's really stepped up the last year or two and suggested some changes that Marty is very pleased with. 

Long story I know.  The short story is...it's a long and complicated process but we're working at it.

I am aware of the risk of overdoing it.  My training is going really well and I'm enjoying it much more now that I'm involved in the masters swim and a few group biking and running activities.  I'm still working on finding the balance between training and the rest of my life.  I promise to be careful...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 am

Fri - Swim 1850 yds  Well that was interesting.  Coach Sara gave us a lightweight exercise band tied into a loop.  We had to put it around both legs just below the knees and then kick!  What!!  The goal was to get us to initiate the kicking motion from the hips rather than the knees.  She was pleased with the results.  We were happy when we got to take them off. Exclamation
    - Bike 11.5 to/from pool.  First day without annoying winds in a long time.  I wanted to go for a long bike ride but responsibilities at home took priority.

Sat - 13 mi @ 10:48 HR 146/163  Breezy but the strong winds held off till after I finished.  This run went much better than expected!

Last minute group bike ride organized for later today.  I'm tempted but I'm going to try to resist the temptation.  I need to plant garden and get some things done in the yard before the rain arrives.  I could probably do both but I realize that a rest day is probably more important than a few more miles on the bike.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 pm

We so got to get your story out:  http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/21/84-year-old-jimmy-green-completes-boston-marathon-after-suffering-heart-attack/#.WPyiuWMsZMQ.facebook
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:We so got to get your story out:  http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/21/84-year-old-jimmy-green-completes-boston-marathon-after-suffering-heart-attack/#.WPyiuWMsZMQ.facebook

Funny how similar yet how different our stories are.  My heart attack is old news now.  If my story is ever told I want it to be the story of my return to Boston...and I care more about returning than getting my story out there.

When I got home from Boston there was a message from BAA asking if I was OK.  I returned the call and apparently they knew I had a medical issue and knew that someone had a heart attack but because of privacy issues didn't know if it was me or not.  They just wanted to know if it was me and wanted to know if I was OK.  The name and number of the person who called was floating around on the desk for quite some time.  I may still have it but I'm not sure.  Might come in handy if I can find it.

I just need to keep running and remind myself not to overdo it and hopefully my story will unfold the way I want it to.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 pm

That is what I mean - when you return in 2019 (or 2018 when you qualify and we appeal for an entyr)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, young lady, you might be on the verge of overdoing things.  Maybe think about hiring a clerk or getting some high school or community college person that's on an accounting track to learn some of your bookkeeping tasks.  Just don't tell me that it'd be easier to just do it, rather than teaching someone.

And maybe let Marty pick up a task or two.  You're better off vertical than horizontal.  Pride is a booger.

Marty and I went to a farm safety seminar a few years ago that included an activity to help us determine our management style.  Marty and I were both as far into the "Get out of the way. I'll do it myself." corner as you could get.  The fact that we left jobs in the valley in 1989...Marty was a carpenter in commercial construction and I was a licensed tax consultant...to pursue Marty's dream and we struggled to keep our heads above water for a long time made it hard to delegate.  We always laughed that our contribution to our kids college education was a solid work ethic and the ability to qualify for need based financial aid.

Things started to improve in 2006 but at that time I was still getting up early to pack lunches and work in the fields alongside the seasonal workers while maintaining the household and keeping up with the bookwork.  It was 2009 when Marty had a bad fall and shattered his arm just below the shoulder the week before we were scheduled to start planting carrots that he begrudgingly admitted that we needed more help.  We hired a full time worker but when Kevin came home in 2013 I was still changing irrigation water for a couple hours morning and night and Marty, Kevin, and I were still doing 90% of the tractor work.  When I had my cardiac event and couldn't change water the boys made the necessary adjustments and since then I've been careful not to accept responsibility for water unless we're really short handed.  Marty is still struggling to give up the reins but Kevin is encouraging him to give more responsibility to the hired help.  I understand Marty's attitude...we invested out life in this operation...but also realize that we need to let Kevin make more of the decisions and grow this into his farm.  Kevin had been away from the farm for several years and the operation had changed considerably so he spent the first couple years just doing what Marty told him but he's really stepped up the last year or two and suggested some changes that Marty is very pleased with. 

Long story I know.  The short story is...it's a long and complicated process but we're working at it.

I am aware of the risk of overdoing it.  My training is going really well and I'm enjoying it much more now that I'm involved in the masters swim and a few group biking and running activities.  I'm still working on finding the balance between training and the rest of my life.  I promise to be careful...
Delegating was the toughest thing for me to do and do consistently.  I got used to it, even to work with a high school to see if any high school students interested in bookkeeping or clerking that wanted to learn something and get paid for it.

Kevin is the perfect person to learn the books, if he doesn't already.  It'll lessen the possibility of him getting fooled, plus it'll give you a backup person when you and Marty go away again.  It's a win win!  Nothing new to you, I'm sure.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Delegating was the toughest thing for me to do and do consistently.  I got used to it, even to work with a high school to see if any high school students interested in bookkeeping or clerking that wanted to learn something and get paid for it.

Kevin is the perfect person to learn the books, if he doesn't already.  It'll lessen the possibility of him getting fooled, plus it'll give you a backup person when you and Marty go away again.  It's a win win!  Nothing new to you, I'm sure.

Yes, delegating is the hard part Doug.  Kevin has taken over the bookwork while Marty and I have been away.  And he can do payroll in a pinch.  His wife Natalie has been expressing an interest in doing more of the office type work...or at least being able to do more.  She pretty busy as she still works half time remotely for Parsons (she's an engineer) and has two busy boys and another on the way.  I'm working on training her to do payroll.  It's complicated during carrot planting but I think she'd do fine during a normal week.  She has taken over the safety training and compliance which is a big help.  She's got experience in that area so it was a good fit.

I might just go to Alaska with my Mom next month and see how they manage without me. Wink
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I behaved myself on Sunday and didn't do any training.  I just planted garden, pruned roses and pruned fruit trees.  I was exhausted and found several muscles that were not happy by day's end.  I recovered surprisingly quickly. 

Mon - Swim 2550 yds  All fins!  And I made it through the entire workout without cramping. Surprised
       - crappy weather for biking and I was pretty tired so swimming was all I did!

Tue - Pilates  I don't remember if I mentioned that coach Sara chooses a theme each month...planks, abductors, balance...this month is circus month.  We do as much as we're able with a small ball that adds instability to the workout or forces us to use an extra muscle to keep the ball in place.  It's fun.
      - 8 mi @ 10:56  HR 146/164  I decided that I'd been pushing the pace and doing quite a bit of faster running.  Maybe on the verge of overdoing it a bit.  So I decided to do a sort-a-long run instead of faster stuff today and to keep it interesting instead of turning around at my normal spot I kept going.  I ran to the fire station...nice...but then I had to come home.  There is a very large, very intimidating hill that I had to navigate to get home.  Slowed the pace a bit but managed it quite well.  Got caught in a rain storm but other than getting cold I survived...guess I'm not made of sugar after all.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Safety compliance and training.  Ah, that brings back memories where I was volunteered to do safety at one company.  I actually enjoyed it and got to fly to Albuquerque for an OSHA 500 course.  It was in the summer.  I remember heading back to the airport and hearing a couple of locals moaning about the extra humidity, that day.  The humidity doubled from 5% to 10%!!!! affraid  Shocking.

Variety in Pilates is wonderful.  Great that you're enjoying it.

A 'very large and very intimidating hill' is something I'd just like to drive on a dry, 40+ degree day, please.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 am

The "Oregon Beef hill" (on the way home from the fire station) is more of a mental challenge than a physical one.  I'm glad I tackled it on Tuesday.

Wed - Core/strength  It's been difficult to find time for Marty and I to do this but we managed to fit it in before he headed out to work.
       - Swim 2100 yds.  Race pace workout...ie intervals.  These workouts are shorter but tough mentally and physically.  I was pleased with my effort and results.

I was able to get the last two fruit trees pruned.  I'm still a bit stiff and sore from all the yard work but I'm getting caught up.  Weather has been pretty nasty plus I'm feeling nervous about the quantity of training I've been doing the last few weeks so I chose not to bike yesterday.  I'm pretty happy with both the quantity and the quality of the training I have under my belt at this point in time.  I don't want to mess it up by pushing to hard. 

Just for fun a spent a few minutes looking back at my pre-cardiac event training records.  It was faster but shorter with very little easy effort miles.  I think the transition into more easy effort miles and making sure that I take the time to warm up and cool down was/is good.  I probably still don't do as much easy effort running as some would recommend but I'm doing way more than I've ever done in the past.  My paces are slower...I'm comparing with training done in 2013 and 2014 when I was younger...but the good news is my HR is also significantly lower.  I'm seeing lower HR numbers even during up tempo efforts.  Do I have room for improvement?  Of course!  Could I benefit from even more easy effort miles?  Of course!  Should I try to slow the pace even further to a level that is truly low HR?  Of course!  Training...just like life...is a long and complicated process.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Boy, I need to visit here more often. I've missed so much!

I'm with Ounce on your life stress situation, and his idea for reaching out. Think of it as starting your succession strategy. One day you and Marty are going to want to retire, and you're going to go nuts if you haven't established how things are going to go with the kids -- and the kids are going to go nuts if you two are micromanaging things even after you've stepped away. 

I like the story of you returning to Boston. That will resonate with folks and be a great lesson for others.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Training is a n=1 experiment.  For as much as newbie training should follow an already established training plan, ruts require change to get out of the rut.  Change can be established change or freaky, what the hell are you doing type of change.

Your heart should be well conditioned to expect the freaky from you.  All of us are doing something freaky in our training because we all want to excel and my freaky isn't your freaky nor Mark's nor Miche1e's.

What am I trying to say?  Beats the hell out of me. Exclamation  But we will put in our 2 freaks worth.

By the way, would those be lemon trees you're pruning?  How much are you trying to prune?  (I don't know nuffin about fruit trees).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Mark B wrote:Boy, I need to visit here more often. I've missed so much!

I'm with Ounce on your life stress situation, and his idea for reaching out. Think of it as starting your succession strategy. One day you and Marty are going to want to retire, and you're going to go nuts if you haven't established how things are going to go with the kids -- and the kids are going to go nuts if you two are micromanaging things even after you've stepped away. 

I like the story of you returning to Boston. That will resonate with folks and be a great lesson for others.
Thanks Mark...not worried at all about the story...just getting there.

We are working on a succession plan and considering how difficult the process is it's actually going quite well.  We're making progress...at a rate that's comfortable for all of us.

As far as retirement goes...that's not in Marty's plan.  He wants to drop dead driving the combine!  We are both slowing down quite a lot actually.

ounce
Training is a n=1 experiment.  For as much as newbie training should follow an already established training plan, ruts require change to get out of the rut.  Change can be established change or freaky, what the hell are you doing type of change.

Your heart should be well conditioned to expect the freaky from you.  All of us are doing something freaky in our training because we all want to excel and my freaky isn't your freaky nor Mark's nor Miche1e's.

What am I trying to say?  Beats the hell out of me. Exclamation  But we will put in our 2 freaks worth.

By the way, would those be lemon trees you're pruning?  How much are you trying to prune?  (I don't know nuffin about fruit trees).
Doug...as far as training goes, I'm actually quite pleased with how things are going.  I'm nervous about doing to much.  Not because of my heart but just because I may want this a bit to much.  I'm just trying to be aware of the danger of overtraining.

No lemon trees here!  We're way to far north and to high in elevation!  Way to cold.  We had a hard frost this morning and have been known to get frosts into late June/July.  And they hit again as early as September and by October they are a regular occurrence.  Apple and pear trees do pretty well here but occasionally they'll get hit by a frost during blossom and we won't get much off them.  Cherries, plums, peaches, and apricots are grown in the area but are pretty hit and miss.  It's fun but a lot of work!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 am

Thur - Pilates
        - 5 mi @10:57 HR 145/163  Didn't feel all that great so opted for an easy run again.  HR reflects the fact that I wasn't able to relax and/or that I wasn't 100%.

Fri - Core/strength
     - Swim 2600 yds.  "Beat the split" was what Coach Tim posted on the board.  Long intervals that got more challenging as the workout progressed.  This was a tough workout...fun but tough!

Sat - Bike 31 mi HR 122/147  Decent weather for a change and I hadn't been on my bike all week so I headed out on the scenic overlook route.  I struggled to relax and enjoy the ride.

Sun - I wanted to run today but it was obvious that I needed a recovery day. pale

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim about 2250 yds.  This was a kicking workout with fins again but I woke up with cramps a couple times overnight so I wasn't hopeful.  I cramped early in the workout and just took off the fins and swam easy for the hour.  I didn't count laps or watch splits or anything.  Just swam at an easy pace.

Tough week but the last field is now planted.  I did my part. 

I've struggled with cramps a bit in the past but this is ridiculous.  I know the swim fins are a contributing factor but I've been waking up with cramps at night and my diaphragm muscles cramped the other day.  That's painful!  I'm hydrated...waking up at least once if not twice to pee at night.  I'm eating bananas, nuts, and taking additional electrolytes.  I asked Dr. B if he thought the statins could be an issue and he doesn't think so as it's normally the large proximal muscles (hamstrings and quads) that cramp as a side effect of statins.  I'm having the most trouble with calves and arches.  RHR is in a good range.  I will admit that I haven't felt the greatest but come on....

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 02, 2017 8:14 pm

nkrichards wrote:As far as retirement goes...that's not in Marty's plan.  He wants to drop dead driving the combine!  We are both slowing down quite a lot actually.

Well, in that case, tell Marty to make sure the combine is pointed AWAY from the house when his time comes.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:As far as retirement goes...that's not in Marty's plan.  He wants to drop dead driving the combine!  We are both slowing down quite a lot actually.

Well, in that case, tell Marty to make sure the combine is pointed AWAY from the house when his time comes.
This predicament has actually been discussed at length.  We've decided that the combine is more valuable than anything we own...including the house...so preventing damage to the combine is the top priority.  Marty has strict instructions to make sure he is not headed toward Willow Creek Canyon (200' drop off on the edge of our back fields) when he kicks the bucket.  We can repair the house.  Kevin has informed him that if he starts running into power poles or running over irrigation pipe that he'll have to take his driving privileges away.  One of Kevin's friends loves to tell the story of when his grandfather ran into a power pole.  He just turned the key off and went to the house and never said a word to anyone. Shocked

Tues - Pilates
        - 4 mi @ 11:15  HR 146/159  Tuesday was a hectic day and I wasn't able to get out the door for my run till 6:00 pm...after dinner.  It was warm and I was tired so I kept the run short and at an easy effort.  HR shows otherwise but I'm not surprised.  It's amazing how many things affect the HR.

Wed - 5 mi @ 11:04  HR 148/161  Got out the door early for another short, easy effort run.  I was hoping that the cooler weather would allow me to keep my HR lower but it was over 60 degrees by the time I finished and it was humid (50%).  I know Doug...  I felt like I was running in a sauna.
       - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool  It was actually nice biking weather.
       - Swim 1950 yards.  All drill work.  We used various combinations of the fins, the paddles, the buoy, and even the parachute (acts as an anchor and really makes you concentrate on correct form).  It was a fun workout.  After using the chute we would swim a fast interval...it was amazing how much faster we swam compared to our normal fast intervals.  It's a nice trick to make us use correct form.  I could tell that I was on the verge of cramping when I used the fins for to long so I eased back or took them off for an interval and was able to pretty much avoid cramping.

I've been really concentrating on hydrating and also taking some supplemental electrolytes.  I sure hope that I can get this cramping thing under control!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Today was a challenging day.  Maura invited me to bike to Gateway after Pilates.  I was expecting a ride similar to our masters swimmers group ride with the gals a few weeks ago.  Nope.  Just me, Maura, and her husband Stan.  They organize and lead those multi-day rides with monster hills!  Gulp.  Off we went.  I ended up doing just under 42 miles and was able to maintain a 15 mph average speed.  We did have one hill climb that was much longer/harder than anything I've ever done before.  I felt OK.  I'm sure that Stan and Maura slowed their pace for me but Maura commented that I was a very strong rider.  Very Happy  I really felt like I handled the distance and the hill climb very well.  I will admit that my legs are a bit rubbery this afternoon and I was probably getting close to doing to much.  I went to the edge without falling off the cliff.  Maura said next time we'll ride back down that big hill and up the other side and then repeat so that we get in a total of 3 hill climbs...

The weather was great.  The views were fantastic.  We rode hard but also chatted a bit.  It was fun...and I think it was good triathlon training and good cross training for my marathon. 

Off to the shower and then I plan to watch Emma's track meet and Owen & Royce at soccer practice.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 06, 2017 6:32 pm

When I woke up Friday morning my body wasn't about to let me forget that I'd pushed hard on my bike ride the day before.  I went ahead and biked to/from the pool (11.5 mi) for swimming.  Our workout was only 2150 yards but it was a challenging one.  I did better than expected but I did struggle at the end.  (Mostly because Coach Tim was ribbing me about starting to easy to make sure I could finish well so I pushed harder than normal during the early part of the workout.)

Today was fun.  CORK, RORK, PORK, and MADras Runners...affectionately known as MORK...all got together for a group run at Eagle Crest.  It was a trail run along the Deschutes River so we decided it was a DORK gathering.  Great trail, chilly but great weather, and fun group.  There were over 30 runners...10 from Madras!  RORK provided coffee, donuts, and fruit afterwards.  It was an out and back and we all just ran our own pace and whatever distance we were comfortable with.  I got in just over 5.5 miles and maintained a pretty decent pace (10:07) considering it was a trail run with some ups, downs, rocks, and roots.  They plan to do something similar at least a couple times a year and will rotate so the different Running Klubs each have a chance to host and show off their favorite trail.  I got to see the Prineville Oregon Running Klub (PORK) shirts.  They are awesome with a flying pig logo.  I'm going to have to figure out how to get one.

Off to share rhubarb pie with the family.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Up early to do my core/strength workout with Marty.
Followed with 7 mi @ 11:05 HR 143/156  I felt like I needed to make an effort to get more miles in this morning as my mileage has been lower than I'd like.  The goal was to keep it easy effort.  I did better and even though it may not technically qualify as a low HR run it's pretty darn close for me!

Yard work the rest of the day.  I'm tired and sore and ready for bed.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am

Mon - Swim 2250 yds.  Monday is usually fin/kicking day and I was dreading this as I knew cramping would be an issue as tired as I was.  Fortunately Coach Tim alternated fins/kicking with fast 50 intervals without the fins.  I did well!
       - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.  Easy effort.

I feel like I'm walking a very fine line between optimum training and over training.  I realize that my actual running miles are meager compared to most people prepping for a marathon but it's a step up for me.  And I've also increased my swimming and biking.  It's the combination of everything...including life in general...that adds up and has me a bit wary.  I've been able to dial back and train at an easy effort when I felt it was needed.  I'm keeping a close eye on my resting HR.  It bounces a couple beats per minute occasionally but overall it's settled in nicely at 50bpm and stayed pretty consistent.  I'm tired but not exhausted...and I'm taking a break next week! 

I'm taking my Mom to Alaska for a week.  It's a small ship cruise on the inland passage that she's been wanting to do.  There will be very little opportunity to train as the ship is to small and our excursions are all group excursions...kayaking or hiking.  No cell service.  No wifi.  Just glaciers, whales, and a chance to spend some time with my Mom.  It will be good for me.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 am

You've been having a great couple of weeks of training, Nancy. Those bike and swim workouts sound pretty intense! I wouldn't worry about your relative lack of running miles at this point in the process. Those rubbery legs are telling you that you're doing it right! Very Happy

Have a great trip to Alaska. But I wonder what sort of cross-training you can sneak in up there? Wrestling with a grizzly bear for a salmon, maybe? Enjoy the time with your mom.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Enjoy that Alaska trip!  Even though my daughter and I were on a larger cruise ship - we basically did all the hikes and bike rides that we could do rather than the stuff really geared to tourists. We cannot wait to go back.  

And I ran on the treadmill once and did two spin classes on the boat - it was the right balance for 10 days away.

Have fun!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Your legs should love you for taking them along to Alaska for rest.  Rest is part of training.  Do what your mother tells you to do, now.

So, what does rhubarb taste like?

Mark's tussle with a bear reminds me of a little girl who got bit on the leg by an 8' gator, this week.  She remembered her training from Gatorland, south of Orlando, on what to do.  While the gator chomped on her leg, she stuck two fingers in each of the gator's nostrils.  The lack of air caused the gator to open its mouth and she pulled her leg out.

Miche1e might've seen the story on TV, like I did.

So Mark, why don't you test that theory with a bear!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 10, 2017 8:11 pm

ounce wrote:Your legs should love you for taking them along to Alaska for rest.  Rest is part of training.  Do what your mother tells you to do, now.

Mark's tussle with a bear reminds me of a little girl who got bit on the leg by an 8' gator, this week.  She remembered her training from Gatorland, south of Orlando, on what to do.  While the gator chomped on her leg, she stuck two fingers in each of the gator's nostrils.  The lack of air caused the gator to open its mouth and she pulled her leg out.

I did indeed see that story on TV.  So that is what she did - I might need that when I swim in the river at the tri in Augusta.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 pm

ounce wrote:Your legs should love you for taking them along to Alaska for rest.  Rest is part of training.  Do what your mother tells you to do, now.

Where we're running this weekend, we're more likely to encounter a mountain lion. I think I'd rather tangle with the gator.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum