365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+3
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 12 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:49 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I was surprised that Maffetone was even commenting on it.  His opinion could become a workable solution to many more people than to go more hard core.  I do think that a greater limitation of added sugar will help a great deal.  This includes Gu and Larabars, as well.  Cooking more from scratch would help a good deal, as well. 

Triglycerides under 100 shows a limitation on processed carbs.  A1C under 5.5 shows that you're not pre-diabetic.

There's another speaker named Dr. Tim Noakes.  He's a South African doctor who is diabetic, so he has to keep his carbs low.  He's written a few running books on nutrition with LC/HF.

Maybe in 20 years saturated fat won't have as much of a stigma.  But it'll take acceptance by the AHA, which means the companies that make statins will have to stop brow beating cardiologists.

My triglycerides have bounced around a lot, depending on diet.

Prior to diet/lifestyle changes in 2005, they were 131. In the midst of South Beach changes, they fell to 59. Five years later, after lapsing quite a bit, they bounced up to 156 then fell to 94 five years after that as I started eating better. Not sure what they are now. Not sure they ever checked A1C.

Noakes is an interesting character. He used to be all-in on the carbs-as-fuel approach, but has since done a 180 and gone LC/HF. He also thinks we hydrate too much.
He thinks we hydrate too much with Gatorade, then hydrate at thirst.  Early in their careers, both Maffetone and Noakes were on to low carb as the way to go back in the 70's separately.  But didn't doubt those with more experience, so they let it go.
Mark B wrote:And since Uncle Phil (Maffetone, not Knight, or Banks) got me thinking...

---

Low HR Run: 90 minutes (6.94 miles)

Weather: Cool and cloudy. 51-54° Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket/vest. No fuel or fluids during run.

It almost felt cold when I started out this morning, which was ridiculous but not unexpected. It's been a while since I ran when it was almost in the 40s. It's good knowing that I'll warm up as long as I get moving. Smile

I needed to make this a low HR run. I've been pushing paces and HRs lately, and I know that most of my miles need to be fully aerobic. I needed to remind my legs that they can go slow enough to make it work.

Mission... accomplished. I slowed down quite a bit in the 90-mintue run (from 11:24 to 12:55/mi), with some brief walking breaks to keep my drifting HR in check, but I kept my average close to my target of 138 throughout. I'd rather it be AT 138, or lower, but this was good for a start.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134
Cool.  How are the Topos working out?

The Topos are working out pretty well, though I don't think they'll be my forever shoe. They still don't quite fit my foot shape, so I can get some pain in my fifth metatarsal area after wearing them. I'm looking forward to when Nike releases those shoes I was testing earlier this year, because those fit me quite well.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 am

XT: Core and calves

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Modified side-leg lifts. + 8 extra each side
-Double-leg bridge "marching" while keeping pelvis steady.
-Single-leg bridge dip, each side. (new!)
-Supine leg lift, keeping TA engaged and pelvis aligned
-Prone leg lift, same as above
-Half-squat using theraband around knees.
-Partial one-legged squat, each leg. (new!)
-Side-step using theraband around knees.
-Ankle flexion using theraband.
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.
-22 counter pushups. (new!)

Standing Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:23 pm

You can sign up at this website http://ketosummit.com then Wednesday and Thursday, you can watch any of the talks for free.  There are around 24 or so to watch.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Mark B wrote:XT: Core and calves

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Standing Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side)

That's a lot of core/calf work!!  And you're adding new stuff as well.  Pushups! cheers

Good for you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:58 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:XT: Core and calves

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

That's a lot of core/calf work!!  And you're adding new stuff as well.  Pushups! cheers

Good for you.

Thanks, Nancy! I got recruited into the whole #22pushups fad, so I added them to the mix. I need to start doing them, anyway. I've got T-rex arms.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 am

Barefoot: 3.1 miles

Weather: Overcast with a little rain. 53° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket, hat.

Had to take advantage of a rainy morning to get out for a barefoot run. Running with wet feet helps teach you good form, since mistakes are magnified when the skin is soft. I caught an imperfect landing on my left foot today that was causing needless shear stress on a spot just behind my toes. Adjusting toe lift and lift off seemed to help.

I tried to make this a mostly low HR run, but I admit that I erred toward the end. Still, the splits were nice and even. 10:30, 10:31, 10:34. That's pretty dialed in.

Average HR for entire run: 141

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:00 am

Mark B wrote:Barefoot: 3.1 miles

Weather: Overcast with a little rain. 53° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket, hat.

Had to take advantage of a rainy morning to get out for a barefoot run. Running with wet feet helps teach you good form, since mistakes are magnified when the skin is soft. I caught an imperfect landing on my left foot today that was causing needless shear stress on a spot just behind my toes. Adjusting toe lift and lift off seemed to help.

I tried to make this a mostly low HR run, but I admit that I erred toward the end. Still, the splits were nice and even. 10:30, 10:31, 10:34. That's pretty dialed in.

Two errors in one run.  Tisk, tisk.  It's a miracle you weren't arrested by the Running Gestapo.  You know, pushups as punishment are in vogue, these days.

Speaking of pushups, I'm still doing them since mid-July, rarely in one sitting, but I can do 26 in one sitting.  I got behind and had to catch up.  The heart sure was beating!  These are all knee pushups, too.  I'm up to 5 on a traditional pushup.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:11 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Barefoot: 3.1 miles

Two errors in one run.  Tisk, tisk.  It's a miracle you weren't arrested by the Running Gestapo.  You know, pushups as punishment are in vogue, these days.

Speaking of pushups, I'm still doing them since mid-July, rarely in one sitting, but I can do 26 in one sitting.  I got behind and had to catch up.  The heart sure was beating!  These are all knee pushups, too.  I'm up to 5 on a traditional pushup.

Any type of pushups are better than no pushups! Years ago, I used to do pushups most every morning. It's amazing how a skill fades away when you neglect it for, oh, a decade. Wink

Thanks for the running enforcers notion: I'm imagining Phil Maffetone and Barefoot Ken showing up on my doorstep unannounced one day. Shocked

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Easyish run with faster finish: 4.27 miles

Weather: Cool and muggy. 55° Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket (shed after two miles)

I thought about making today a rest day, but ambition won out and I headed out between rain showers for what I'd planned to be a low HR run. My legs had other ideas. They were locked in to the 10:30ish pace I was doing yesterday. Whenever I tried to slow down to get my HR down, my legs would speed up again. I had to take several walking breaks to keep my HR from reaching 10 bpm above my target. Of course, as soon as I'd start up again, my legs would pop into the mid-10 range.

I even switched my Garmin to show my "instant" pace to force myself to slow down. That worked a little, but I finally gave up in the last half mile and just let my legs go. I gradually let my pace increase until I was into the mid-7s right at the end of the four miles.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 131. Max: 167

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Mark B wrote:Easyish run with faster finish: 4.27 miles

Weather: Cool and muggy. 55° Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket (shed after two miles)

I thought about making today a rest day, but ambition won out and I headed out between rain showers for what I'd planned to be a low HR run. My legs had other ideas. They were locked in to the 10:30ish pace I was doing yesterday. Whenever I tried to slow down to get my HR down, my legs would speed up again. I had to take several walking breaks to keep my HR from reaching 10 bpm above my target. Of course, as soon as I'd start up again, my legs would pop into the mid-10 range.

I even switched my Garmin to show my "instant" pace to force myself to slow down. That worked a little, but I finally gave up in the last half mile and just let my legs go. I gradually let my pace increase until I was into the mid-7s right at the end of the four miles.

Damn those legs!!! 

Say, could you let me borrow them for one teensy weensy marathon in January?  Kthxbye.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:01 am

ounce wrote:

Damn those legs!!! 

Say, could you let me borrow them for one teensy weensy marathon in January?  Kthxbye.

Sure thing! Just make sure to gas 'em back up before you return them.  Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:54 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Damn those legs!!! 

Sure thing! Just make sure to gas 'em back up before you return them.  Approval
You bet!  I'll even wash them and put some ArmorAll on them. Very Happy
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 pm

We headed over to your side of the big hill Friday night to watch a football game at our old high school (Sandy).  We were prepared for a long cold night and a good trouncing by highly ranked Wilsonville.  Ha...it was warm...after the rain stopped.  AND Sandy won!  We had 3 great nephews on the field.

To continue our first post irrigation weekend we watched the boys so that Kevin and Natalie could attend the Oregon State game...go Beavers!  Nice overtime win!!

Enjoy the rain...it's coming...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:50 am

nkrichards wrote:We headed over to your side of the big hill Friday night to watch a football game at our old high school (Sandy).  We were prepared for a long cold night and a good trouncing by highly ranked Wilsonville.  Ha...it was warm...after the rain stopped.  AND Sandy won!  We had 3 great nephews on the field.

To continue our first post irrigation weekend we watched the boys so that Kevin and Natalie could attend the Oregon State game...go Beavers!  Nice overtime win!!

Congratulations to the nephews! I'd say congrats to the Beavs, too, but I'm a Duck and well... those sorts of things just don't happen. Wink

I'm looking at the forecast with fascination. Glad I got the lawn mowed when I did. My weatherunderground forecast is predicting a LOT of rain starting Thursday when the atmospheric river arrives. As in, 1.52'' of rain on Thursdsay, 1.06'' Friday, 1.1'' Saturday, 0.7'' Sunday, 0.54'' Monday, 0.37'' Tuesday. I know Ounce is used to seeing 10'' of rain in an hour, but for the Pacific Northwest, this is going to qualify as a soaking.

Didn't get a run in yesterday -- I had some gut issues and didn't want to have to duck behind somebody's rhododendron for an emergency pit stop. I'm doing better today; I'm about to do my core work, and I hope to get out for a walk at lunch.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:25 am

XT: Core and calves

Upping the effort level a bit.

12-10-8 of:
-Modified side-leg lifts. (2 series of 12/10/8 sets each side.)
-Single-leg bridge dip, each side.
-Partial one-legged squat, each leg.
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Walk: 4 miles

Weather: Spectacular. Sunny, breezy and 64 degrees.

It was a beautiful fall day, so I couldn't help but extend my lunch walk to the maximum possible distance along the Columbia River, all the way down to the old World War II Kaiser Shipyard and back. I pushed the pace a little, taking advantage of the cooling breeze to not completely pit out my work clothes. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:47 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:We headed over to your side of the big hill Friday night to watch a football game at our old high school (Sandy).  We were prepared for a long cold night and a good trouncing by highly ranked Wilsonville.  Ha...it was warm...after the rain stopped.  AND Sandy won!  We had 3 great nephews on the field.

Congratulations to the nephews! I'd say congrats to the Beavs, too, but I'm a Duck and well... those sorts of things just don't happen. Wink

I'm looking at the forecast with fascination. Glad I got the lawn mowed when I did. My weatherunderground forecast is predicting a LOT of rain starting Thursday when the atmospheric river arrives. As in, 1.52'' of rain on Thursdsay, 1.06'' Friday, 1.1'' Saturday, 0.7'' Sunday, 0.54'' Monday, 0.37'' Tuesday. I know Ounce is used to seeing 10'' of rain in an hour, but for the Pacific Northwest, this is going to qualify as a soaking.

Didn't get a run in yesterday -- I had some gut issues and didn't want to have to duck behind somebody's rhododendron for an emergency pit stop. I'm doing better today; I'm about to do my core work, and I hope to get out for a walk at lunch.
"Slide-ageddon" or "Slide-mageddon" now, at an intersection near you.

(In the Trump tradition)...Not just 10" an hour, but 20" or 30" per hour.  It's UnbeLIEVable!!! Rolling Eyes

We do like those up to 0.75" a day soaker rains.  Enough to pacify the grass and the wrecker drivers.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:12 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

(In the Trump tradition)...Not just 10" an hour, but 20" or 30" per hour.  It's UnbeLIEVable!!! Rolling Eyes

We do like those up to 0.75" a day soaker rains.  Enough to pacify the grass and the wrecker drivers.

Yup. The Hyundai Hydroplane Races are a sight to see! 

I'm sure the local TV stations will go bezerk over it, though we in the print medium are more blasé. "Oh, it's raining... in October? In Western Washington? Who'd have thought it?" (Hard to convey sarcasm in writing, but there you go.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I'm sure the local TV stations will go bezerk over it, though we in the print medium are more blasé. "Oh, it's raining... in October? In Western Washington? Who'd have thought it?" (Hard to convey sarcasm in writing, but there you go.)

Hmmm...I may get wet on Sunday.  Katie and I are registered for the Girlfriends Half.  I've run it several times and it's always been nice weather...  I'm not sure I know how to run in the rain! scratch
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hmmm...I may get wet on Sunday.  Katie and I are registered for the Girlfriends Half.  I've run it several times and it's always been nice weather...  I'm not sure I know how to run in the rain! scratch

One word: BodyGlide.

Temps will be in the low 50s, so you don't need to bundle up. But do bring a trash bag poncho for the starting grid so you don't get too wet and chilly before the race starts. Once you start, you'll be fine. These sorts off conditions are actually kind of fun to run in, though you'll end up looking like a drowned rat afterward. They tend to yield good times, also, provided it's not too windy.

Oh, yes: A hat will be handy to keep the rain off your face. 

Also, of course: Dry clothes for afterward! And a towel.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:27 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Temps will be in the low 50s, so you don't need to bundle up. But do bring a trash bag poncho for the starting grid so you don't get too wet and chilly before the race starts. Once you start, you'll be fine. These sorts off conditions are actually kind of fun to run in, though you'll end up looking like a drowned rat afterward. They tend to yield good times, also, provided it's not too windy.

And of course COLOR CO-ORDINATION.  you just can't see yellow too well!!!

I prefer a dry cleaning bag to a Hefty bag.  Easier to customize, bib number is still visible, and when the rain is over, you can rip it off as if you were Superman!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:30 am

Oh, Mark, our local TEGNA station posted on their website and FB about the Lhasa Apso in your town that got skinned (because it was KGW that reported it).  That'd be a tough one to report.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:55 am

ounce wrote:Oh, Mark, our local TEGNA station posted on their website and FB about the Lhasa Apso in your town that got skinned (because it was KGW that reported it).  That'd be a tough one to report.

Yeah. On the awful scale, that was pretty high. Some serial killer in training, it seems.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:56 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

And of course COLOR CO-ORDINATION.  you just can't see yellow too well!!!

I prefer a dry cleaning bag to a Hefty bag.  Easier to customize, bib number is still visible, and when the rain is over, you can rip it off as if you were Superman!

Good suggestion! Never mess with the Supers.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Walk: 3.2 miles

Weather: Sunny and 61. 

I didn't get a pre-work run in this morning (the fact that it was 36° may have had something to do with that), but I made it out for a nice walk after lunch. We have days of rain coming, so it was nice to get out without getting soaked.

I walked over the Interstate Bridge into Oregon, looped under the freeway and headed back on the opposite side, giving me good views both upstream and downstream.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next