365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+3
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 7 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Mark B wrote:So, after yesterday's misadventure, I broke down and emailed my doctor, letting him know the problem and wondering if getting some imaging would be a good idea.

He responded, as usual, by saying 1) I should wear a boot, 2) I might need to use crutches, 3) MRIs of that area aren't very helpful in diagnosing injury and 4) stress fractures, tears, sprains such are all treated he same way, so what's the point of sussing out the exact cause?

My doctor makes me crazy sometimes.

Anyway, he did deign to authorize an X-ray, which I got today, and he relented on the crutches if I'm not in pain while wearing the boot -- and he said I'd probably only need to wear the boot for five days to give it a chance to rest/heal.
I think the boot suggestion is partly to keep me from trying to "test" it again. If he could put a Denver boot on me, he would. Or an anchor. Suspect

I'd argue the point, but I really didn't expect such a big flare-up yesterday. It was eye-opening.

I won't hear back on the X-ray until sometime early next week, and who knows if anything will show up. At least by then, I will be mostly through my period of captivity.

No!  Not the boot!  That's not good news at all.  Sounds like you may have done more damage than you realized. 

Stay cool this week...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:29 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:So, after yesterday's misadventure, I broke down and emailed my doctor, letting him know the problem and wondering if getting some imaging would be a good idea.

He responded, as usual, by saying 1) I should wear a boot, 2) I might need to use crutches, 3) MRIs of that area aren't very helpful in diagnosing injury and 4) stress fractures, tears, sprains such are all treated he same way, so what's the point of sussing out the exact cause?

Anyway, he did deign to authorize an X-ray, which I got today, and he relented on the crutches if I'm not in pain while wearing the boot -- and he said I'd probably only need to wear the boot for five days to give it a chance to rest/heal.
I think the boot suggestion is partly to keep me from trying to "test" it again. If he could put a Denver boot on me, he would. Or an anchor. Suspect

I'd argue the point, but I really didn't expect such a big flare-up yesterday. It was eye-opening.

I won't hear back on the X-ray until sometime early next week, and who knows if anything will show up. At least by then, I will be mostly through my period of captivity.

No!  Not the boot!  That's not good news at all.  Sounds like you may have done more damage than you realized. 

Stay cool this week...

I'll do my best. Far cooler here than the rest of the country!

I hope to get X-ray results on Monday or Tuesday. We'll see if they show anything.

BTW, I think the boot is the runner's version of the "cone of shame." Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Update: I heard back from the doctor today. He said the X-ray showed no sign of a fracture. He wants me to wear the boot for his initial recommended time and ease back into activity cautiously. Yeah, yeah. I know.

I've got one more day of boot duty, and I'll be glad to be out of it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Stay cool this week...

I hope to get X-ray results on Monday or Tuesday. We'll see if they show anything.

Nah, more like keeping your foot out of your mouth or some other cavity.
Mark B wrote:Update: I heard back from the doctor today. He said the X-ray showed no sign of a fracture. He wants me to wear the boot for his initial recommended time and ease back into activity cautiously. Yeah, yeah. I know.

That's a good consolation prize.  Maybe we should start an injury thread.

By the way, in your race report, there's a typo.  In the Forest Service section, third paragraph, third sentence, it says:  "Which probably would have bene okay...."  I wouldn't mention it usually, but since there's the possibility of a Pulitzer or copied into the Mount Hood website, I don't want it to be reason not to get it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:12 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Stay cool this week...

Nah, more like keeping your foot out of your mouth or some other cavity.
Mark B wrote:Update: I heard back from the doctor today. He said the X-ray showed no sign of a fracture. He wants me to wear the boot for his initial recommended time and ease back into activity cautiously. Yeah, yeah. I know.

That's a good consolation prize.  Maybe we should start an injury thread.

By the way, in your race report, there's a typo.  In the Forest Service section, third paragraph, third sentence, it says:  "Which probably would have bene okay...."  I wouldn't mention it usually, but since there's the possibility of a Pulitzer or copied into the Mount Hood website, I don't want it to be reason not to get it.

Good catch! Thanks. Always good to have an extra set of eyes on those things. Shocked

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Welcome.  After all, I am an Oxford comma-trained editing person.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:20 pm

ounce wrote:Welcome.  After all, I am an Oxford comma-trained editing person.

Ah, the Oxford comma... We don't use them in journalism writing, which drives some grammarians crazy.

BTW, I finished my five days in the boot yesterday. I'm trying to be very careful as I move around and not push it too much. I'm thinking that I was getting a bit energetic in my walks and stretched the recovering whateveritwas to the point to where it seized up in an instant of self-protection.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am

I'm pleased to see that you've been out of the boot for a day or two and you haven't attempted any long runs yet...or have you made the attempt and just not posted?

I know how frustrated I would be...take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:30 pm

I'm sure Mark is being a good boy and staying out of das boot!  But if he doesn't show up soon, we might have to play tic-tac-toe.   Twisted Evil
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:52 pm

Tic tac toe? I think at least you'd try hangman... that whole word guy thing.

Anyway, I have been very careful with my ankle since it was freed from the boot Tuesday night. It was pretty stiff from all that clumping around. I gave it a test yesterday, doing two laps around the medical complex while Alita was having her ear surgery. I ended up walking about a half a mile, carefully, with no ill effects afterward. I'll be similarly careful going forward.

Alita's surgery went well. She had a stapedectomy to restore hearing in one ear. She handled the anesthesia and monkeying with her ear well, which is good, since severe nausea is a big side effect of this procedure. She gets dizzy easier than before, but that should settle down. We won't know for several weeks how much the procedure will help her hearing, but it generally has a 95% success rate... so we're hopeful.

Thanks for checking in. Been a bit distracted this week.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Glad to hear about Alita's successful surgery.  I miss not hearing things in stereo.  And not too shabby about your ankle.  Keep progressing forward!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 pm

ounce wrote:Glad to hear about Alita's successful surgery.  I miss not hearing things in stereo.  And not too shabby about your ankle.  Keep progressing forward!

Wait, what? You have hearing loss in one ear? What happened?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 pm

It happened 4 years ago, while running.  The hearing just stopped in my right ear.  Sudden Hearing Loss syndrome, it was called.  I have about 15% hearing in that ear.  Sometimes it comes in handy, but I've lost perception of direction of noises.  No way to correct.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:06 am

ounce wrote:It happened 4 years ago, while running.  The hearing just stopped in my right ear.  Sudden Hearing Loss syndrome, it was called.  I have about 15% hearing in that ear.  Sometimes it comes in handy, but I've lost perception of direction of noises.  No way to correct.

Wow! That's awful. Sorry.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:08 am

One note:

Alita is under doctors orders to not even walk for a week, and to do nothing strenuous for two weeks as she recovers from her surgery, despite really wanting to keep at it.

I am out of the boot but playing it very safe as whatever injury I gave myself heals up, despite having a horrible case of raceus interruptus. I want to go-go-go!

So, in other words, we're both going stir-crazy. Pity Alec. Wait. He's 15. He's already stir-crazy.

Pity the cats. affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:44 am

Y'all need to go see some movies.  Try "Captain Fantastic" and "Star Trek:  Beyond."  "Star Trek" would be a good test for dizziness.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:45 pm

ounce wrote:Y'all need to go see some movies.  Try "Captain Fantastic" and "Star Trek:  Beyond."  "Star Trek" would be a good test for dizziness.

I think we'll wait on the big screen until Alita can hear out of both ears again. Right now, one ear is full of packing.

Still, we might break down and watch Deadpool with with Alec at home..

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Y'all need to go see some movies.  Try "Captain Fantastic" and "Star Trek:  Beyond."  "Star Trek" would be a good test for dizziness.

I think we'll wait on the big screen until Alita can hear out of both ears again. Right now, one ear is full of packing.

I enjoyed it.  Innuendos out the wazoo.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

And some hot lead right UP the wazoo. Ouchie!

Fun movie. Felt too short. Embarrassed parents fled the room at the sex scene, leaving teenager behind. Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Two activities, catching up.

From last Thursday: Walk: Half mile.

A very easy, tentative walk around a medical building while Alita was having ear surgery inside. I'd just taken my boot off a couple of days before and I was seeing how it felt. I kept it very easy and slow. It was okay, though I was a bit stiff from a week in a boot.

From today: Walk: 2 miles (carefully)

Weather: Overcast with a few sun breaks. 69°

Taking a longer walk to test out the foot and ankle. I could perceive the injured area after the walk, so two miles is definitely my maximum for the next few outings. No pain, though, so that's good.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Fun movie. Felt too short. Embarrassed parents fled the room at the sex scene, leaving teenager behind. Laughing
...but thinking to themselves, "Ooh, let's try THAT!"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:32 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Oh thank heavens I've stopped drinking coffee, or else I'd be wiping off my computer screen right now...

lol!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Oh thank heavens I've stopped drinking coffee, or else I'd be wiping off my computer screen right now...

lol!
One never knows when one is going to be a whiff or a home run.  

Maybe you ought to send Alec out for more popcorn and when he asks why, tell him in a deadpan manor, "Well, we want to get that technique down now, for later."  Then observe his reaction.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:07 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

lol!

Maybe you ought to send Alec out for more popcorn and when he asks why, tell him in a deadpan manor, "Well, we want to get that technique down now, for later."  Then observe his reaction.

It'd be something like this: affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

lol!

It'd be something like this: affraid

Sounds like a movie I'll be crossing off my list!

I hope you and Alita get back on your feet soon...I enjoy hearing about your outings much more than your movie choices...

Take care and don't rush it.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next