365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Think I'll Go To Boston...

+8
Julie
Tom H
Mark B
Nick Morris
ounce
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 8 Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  Nick Morris Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Mark B wrote:This is a silly question, but how is all this sub-zero weather affecting your day-to-day life?

I know you're in Wisconsin, and are thereby required to affect an attitude of casual indifference ("If you dress right, it's no big deal, don't you know...") but really... the whole routine of going to the grocery store, work, etc., sounds rather challenging. Are surfaces that slippery when it's so cold? Or is it too dry?

Big jacket....Large heating bill

The air is really dry, which with the cold, creates chapped lips, hands, and dry skin. The roads do not get slippery when it is this cold. The only time they get slippery is when snow or ice get added to the equation. The one thing that the cold does do to the roads is when the temps fluctuate from the bitter cold to warm they tend to shift and cause huge cracks or potholes. Also, road salt doesn't just damage your vehicle, it damages the roads, as well.

Life pretty much sucks here when it snows or is bitterly cold...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:This is a silly question, but how is all this sub-zero weather affecting your day-to-day life?

I know you're in Wisconsin, and are thereby required to affect an attitude of casual indifference ("If you dress right, it's no big deal, don't you know...") but really... the whole routine of going to the grocery store, work, etc., sounds rather challenging. Are surfaces that slippery when it's so cold? Or is it too dry?
And I guess all the vehicles have engine block heaters and the garages are heated?

No, most vehicles to not have engine block heaters, but a lot of garages are insulated and/or heated.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Same here in NE OH, but it is generally not quite as cold as where Nick is, and we are very dependent upon what goes on with the Lake. We tend to be more humid than WI, and therefore, generally not quite as cold along the lake.  Inland is colder and dryer, but the snow line typically ends about an hour south of here and Columbus usually only gets dustings in the winter.  With this weeks storm that affect KY, TN,NC, Columbus only received 2" of snow.  

Erie is 99% frozen now which will affect our weather differently than a few weeks back when it was only 70% (I could still see open water then).  It will get icy here some mornings because that Lake can generate some "wet" stuff even from cold air.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:30 pm

Today was a rest day...big weekend ahead with 10 miles tomorrow and 18 on Sunday. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow, but only last for tomorrow before getting cold again.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:

And I guess all the vehicles have engine block heaters and the garages are heated?

No, most vehicles to not have engine block heaters, but a lot of garages are insulated and/or heated.
So are most houses built with central air that's piggybacked ('might as well' attitude) against a heat pump or whatever is the most efficient method of heating a house?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:23 pm

A good weekend of running. I did 10.15 miles on Saturday and followed i up with 18.35 miles on Sunday. Both runs were along my hilly route, but with yesterday's run, I had to incorporate another loop. the last 4 miles had me repeating the two of the four largest hills along the route. (My 14 mile loop has 15 distinct hills and 4 very large and long hills) The second time around, the hills truly sucked, but I know that it is good for me in the end. I was definitely tired at the end of the run, but have recovered very well today. I figured that I would have a little soreness here and there, but not so the case. I plan on working out any kinks with an easy 3 mile recovery run after work.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Core work and weight training was preceded by a very easy 3 mile recovery run. 8 weeks out from Boston and things are going to start to get tougher, as I get to that point in the training cycle.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Let's hope the conditions improve for you guys soon.

I found this very interesting piece from NASA that talks about just what has cause my ridiculously mild winter and your mini ice age. It's a super-strong ridge of high pressure that some meteorologists have taken to calling "the RRR" (for "ridiculously resilient ridge"). It causes the jet stream to veer far north, bringing the Pacific Northwest conditions more akin to California, and then swinging back down and delivering polar desert temperatures to your neck of the woods.

Eight weeks to go until Boston? Let's hope it melts by then! Shocked
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Props on your training perseverance, Nick. I keep waiting out the dangerous wind chills leading me to the dreadmill. Arrow
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:48 am

fostever wrote:Props on your training perseverance, Nick. I keep waiting out the dangerous wind chills leading me to the dreadmill. Arrow

Thanks! I just think that running mid to long runs on a treadmill is more torture than what Mother Nature throws at me. Hopefully it is making me stronger.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 am

Rest day yesterday. It's perfect timing as my Wednesday run now moves up to 8 miles tonight.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:57 pm

You need to get stronger, Nick - I only weigh 124 lbs but it is a lot to carry for 26.2 miles.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:You need to get stronger, Nick - I only weigh 124 lbs but it is a lot to carry for 26.2 miles.

Whew, so all this training is not for nothing then? I feel better now Wink
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Light snow showers all day equates to a slippery run this evening. I set off in 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of snow with light snow falling and temps around 10 degrees. As I have found from previous years of running in snow, that my pace slows around 30-40 seconds per mile, while my effort stays the same. I think that it is relatively equal to running a more technical trail. Anyways, outside of the snow and cold, it was a pretty decent run. I finished 8.33 miles, but am definitely ready for spring to arrive.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I only weigh 124 lbs but it is a lot to carry for 26.2 miles.

And with this, 1L wins the Internets. Very Happy

---

Focus on effort and not speed, Nick, and you'll be amazed at how fast the pace picks up when you can go fast without skidding sideways off the road. Keep it up!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I only weigh 124 lbs but it is a lot to carry for 26.2 miles.

---

Focus on effort and not speed, Nick, and you'll be amazed at how fast the pace picks up when you can go fast without skidding sideways off the road. Keep it up!
I wish I could come back with a really nice one on Miche1e's comment, but I did all my thinking in Mark's blog, a few minutes ago.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

---

I wish I could come back with a really nice one on Miche1e's comment, but I did all my thinking in Mark's blog, a few minutes ago.

Nice!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 pm

24 hours passed and with a little sunshine and shoveling, the sidewalks and bike trail cleared up pretty well. Enough to have the footing be multiply times better than the night before. Temps were colder tonight than last, but the footing helped a lot. I completed 6.25 miles. The days are longer and that means it was brighter out tonight when I finished the run.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:04 am

Woot! Maybe one of these months, it'll even warm up above freezing!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Rest day today...Big weekend of running scheduled, which includes my first 20 miler of the training cycle. Along with that, I have a 10 mile run scheduled to boot.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Rest day today...Big weekend of running scheduled, which includes my first 20 miler of the training cycle.  Along with that, I have a 10 mile run scheduled to boot.

Hope the big weekend of running has gone well...and that you're surviving the weather!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 am

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Rest day today...Big weekend of running scheduled, which includes my first 20 miler of the training cycle.  Along with that, I have a 10 mile run scheduled to boot.

Hope the big weekend of running has gone well...and that you're surviving the weather!

Thanks Nancy!! So far, so good. As far as the weather goes, I am hoping that this storm that comes through early tomorrow morning is the last one. I know that it is supposed to warm up on Friday and the melting process with begin.

Until then, my worry is that I am supposed to fly to Detroit tomorrow for a business meeting. Not sure if that will happen with the winter weather advisory.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Biggest weekend of running since October, complete. Saturday had me running a cold 10.45 miles along my hilly route. I suppose that I can stop referencing my hilly route, as 85% of my runs this training cycle have been along my hilly route. It was a good run on a cold and windy day.

Then, Sunday was my first 20 miler of the training cycle. It was a little warmer outside with off and on sun and temps making it up to the mid 20s by the end of my run. I was tired at the end of the run, but I did not feel as fatigued as I did when I finished my 18 miler last weekend. To me, that means progress...and forward progress is great progress.

Also, I dropped 3 1/2 lbs. this past week. I am now down 13 1/2 lbs. since the beginning of January. I had been stuck at around the same weight for the last couple of weeks, but was able to crash through that wall in a big way.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Nice progress Nick.  Doesn't it feel great when you sense that improved fitness.  Nice job on the weight loss as well!  How's the fund raising going?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice progress Nick.  Doesn't it feel great when you sense that improved fitness.  Nice job on the weight loss as well!  How's the fund raising going?

Thanks Nancy! I still chugging along on the fundraising train and am sitting at the $5k mark. This weekend should be a decent increase, as I have a few larger donations happening.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next