365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Days of the Phoenix

+13
Dave P
Chris M
Jim Lentz
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
mountandog
mul21
Mark B
ounce
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
17 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Days of the Phoenix - Page 7 Empty Re: Days of the Phoenix

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Jim - 7:20ish. 

Writing this from the junction of I-76 and I-80. 1260mi down, ~1500 to go. Have run 14mi Hahahaha. Long trip report forthcoming.
Nice!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

I guess he's noticed how gas prices have dropped.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 am

I really hope he used his Garmin to track this trip... that sort of data is vital to a quality race trip report.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Dunno, but he will be here in an hour or so and get a taste of RURAL western NY - might shock his system to know that not all of NY is the city.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Dunno, but he will be here in an hour or so and get a taste of RURAL western NY - might shock his system to know that not all of NY is the city.

And the Prodigal Son returns.  Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Despite Michele's warnings, NY was actually a nice change from Chicago - sorry, Chicagoans - which neither of us felt particularly affectionate towards. Chautauqua was reminiscent of Americana childhood summers, which we both enjoyed. 

We arrived at Kevin's last night, had a fun dinner at a Salvadoran place he suggested, and came back for drinks and a chat. Ran 5.1mi in Rock Creek this morning. The apartment search begins in earnest on Monday, as most places are closed on weekends. 

No Garmin data for the drive, Mark. I'm not THAT neurotic.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Days of the Phoenix - Page 7 Mike_a10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Smile  I'm a huge goob in this picture.  Was definitely feeling better about life after spending a day hanging out.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Smile  I'm a huge goob in this picture.

Oh, look! Here I am. Not saying anything. Nope! Not me. Not anything at all. Days of the Phoenix - Page 7 Whistl10

(Great shot, BTW. Glad you two got to meet up with 1L!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Smile  I'm a huge goob in this picture.

Oh, look! Here I am. Not saying anything. Nope! Not me. Not anything at all. Days of the Phoenix - Page 7 Whistl10

(Great shot, BTW. Glad you two got to meet up with 1L!)
+1
What a nice way to show leadership by Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Bullies.

12mi on Rock Creek/down to the Basin today.  Got lost trying to get down to the trail and spent a couple miles wandering through Georgetown, but eventually I made it there.  Tried to pull it down to MP, but after a couple miles, it was obvious that the travel + cold picked up during travel weren't going to allow that.  A somewhat rough run overall, but hey, we're still in transition.  

Busy day apartment hunting and hopefully getting an application in tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Busy indeed, and we may have good news soon.

5.5mi heading up Rock Creek towards the trails.  Immediately rolled my ankle on some roots (after taking the "strenuous" path) and later ran into some hills, some nearly impassable terrain, etc.  Kind of cool, kind of obnoxious.  Might have to get Kevin to show me around.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 am

Good luck on the apt search and try not to get injured until you do. Cool
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Try not to get injured until I'm injured?  I'll do my best Wink

We put an application in late last night.  Fingers crossed.  We have a very sure back-up if this one doesn't work out.  Knock on wood.  

8mi in a downpour this morning.  It decided to start raining - very hard - the minute I started and didn't let up until... now, ish.  So, I was the lone, soggy, crazy-eyed dude on the path.  At least it was in the 70s, so the run was actually rather pleasant.  

Running with Kevin and Chris on Thursday - maybe I'll learn how NOT to trip on stuff.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Try not to get injured until I'm injured?  I'll do my best Wink

We put an application in late last night.  Fingers crossed.  We have a very sure back-up if this one doesn't work out.  Knock on wood.  

8mi in a downpour this morning.  It decided to start raining - very hard - the minute I started and didn't let up until... now, ish.  So, I was the lone, soggy, crazy-eyed dude on the path.  At least it was in the 70s, so the run was actually rather pleasant.  

Running with Kevin and Chris on Thursday - maybe I'll learn how NOT to trip on stuff.
Be careful, Chris might push you down like he did with me.  Shocked
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Ha!  I'll have to ask him about that tomorrow morning.  

No word on the application, and I even e-mailed the guy.  Maybe a bit antsy.  

6.75mi recovery this morning.  Legs felt a little flimsy, but I also realized I haven't been eating nearly as much as normal the past couple weeks.  My shorts even fit looser.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 am

"I did not push him!" - Chris McKee.  You'll have to duke this one out with him, Jim. Wink  He did laugh, though.

10.2mi with the two of them, Aileen joining us for 3 before breaking off to finish with 5.  Really pleasant, beautiful day today.  Kevin guided us through "the most beautiful street in DC" (Ross Dr NW), and proceeded to put in a little dig for the last .5mi - maybe that was because I said that Chris looked the best out of all of us, despite only being prepared for 4-5mi.  

Unfortunately, it looks like DC August will be returning this weekend and hanging around.  Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:12 pm

At least you got cool weather to run with them. Those 2 know some really nice places to run out there.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 am

Yeah they do.  We got Kevin talking about 20-milers and I think I may have signed up for a death run earlier than expected.  Chris said that once/if we move to VA, he has plenty to show us.

Speaking of, we put our deposit in yesterday, so I guess we have a place to live!  We may have to deal with painters for a couple days, but it'll be nice to have a permanent address.  We pick a move-in date next Monday.  

4mi recovery this morning.  Too nice of a day not to run, too much free time to justify sitting around ALL day.  It's going to get stupid (high humidity, high dew point, high temps) starting tomorrow through next week.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Yeah they do.  We got Kevin talking about 20-milers and I think I may have signed up for a death run earlier than expected.  Chris said that once/if we move to VA, he has plenty to show us.

Speaking of, we put our deposit in yesterday, so I guess we have a place to live!  We may have to deal with painters for a couple days, but it'll be nice to have a permanent address.  We pick a move-in date next Monday.  

4mi recovery this morning.  Too nice of a day not to run, too much free time to justify sitting around ALL day.  It's going to get stupid (high humidity, high dew point, high temps) starting tomorrow through next week.

We have a lot of stupid down here, too. Smile   Ask them if you need to do any basic hurricane prep (water, canned food, flashlights, etc.).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:31 am

Heat, humidity, hurricanes...  Why did I move again?  Oh, right, adventure!  But in all seriousness, DC is starting to settle in, day by day.  

I'm trying to make more of an effort to switch over to eastern time, since I seem to be stuck somewhere in the middle of the country (waking up around 7:30-8am lately instead of my "usual" 6-6:30).  Today's alarm at 6:30 wasn't exactly welcomed, but it wasn't too terrible.  But considering work will be starting soon and I'll be needing to leave the house early...  Adulthood!  

An upside of earlier mornings is a little cooler weather, which made today's 9mi tempo run feel much easier than it could have.  After a 3mi warm-up, went for 1.75mi, 1.5mi, and 1.5mi, each with a .5mi recovery interval.  My legs weren't what I'd call "smooth," but I was never gutting it out until the very end of the last one, which is the hill leading to Kevin's house (.5mi @ ~5-6%).  I might regret the enthusiasm on tomorrow's long run, but I had to take advantage of finally feeling relatively normal again.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:43 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Heat, humidity, hurricanes...  Why did I move again?  Oh, right, adventure!  But in all seriousness, DC is starting to settle in, day by day.  

I loved visiting DC when my son was living there but I could never live there!  He lived on the corner of Connecticut and Tilden...I think I have the streets right.  It was very close to the zoo and Rock Creek Park so we spent a lot of time there.  There was a fantastic pizza place a few blocks from his house...on Connecticut heading away from town...I don't know my directions back there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm going to have to start showing up here again!  Sorry I've been MIA for a few months.  Running with Mike and Kevin is the perfect thing to boost enthusiasm for all things running.  Great seeing them and catching up.  I'm in any day for a repeat run.  Cool that Mike and Aileen will be our neighbors now and Kevin and I will be pulling Mike into lots more long runs and local races soon.  Check out the first 5 routes on the attached link.  We will literally cover EVERY mile (Ok, not ALL of the C&O one out to Cumberland...) of these rail trails during upcoming runs.   And we need to take the two of them out to the same place we took Jim out near my house (the off road trails by the Potomac River in Great Falls Park).  So many routes to run - we best get to it!

http://bikewashington.org/trails/index.htm
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 am

Nancy - We almost rented a place about a mile up Connecticut from your son's.  But it was a bit far from everything, despite being a great, quiet neighborhood.  Was the pizza place 2Amys, by chance?  Seems to be the favorite of many locals here.

Chris - You underestimate me if you think I haven't already mapped out 5-6 different loops utilizing every trail within running distance of my new place. Wink  I actually found that site a few months ago when we first committed to moving here; very cool.  There's a free fold-out map available on one of the DC-funded cycling websites, which I plan on getting.  All that said, local knowledge is always welcome, so I'll be holding you to all your promises.  If I'm not mistaken, the Great Falls area is the location of The North Face Endurance Challenge 50-miler in April.  Aileen won't let me run it, haha.

---

18mi today, and it went as well as it could have.  Reminded myself early to take it easy for the first 5 or so and to mentally break it into 3-mile segments.  The first 3 were to be effortless (and they were), the next 3 still very easy (again, they were), and the last 12 at whatever effort felt right.  After a pit-stop at mile 6.5, I felt like I could give a bit more, so miles 7-12 became an impromptu "sorta-easy" effort (~8:10-8:00 pace).  I noticed my hamstrings starting to tighten up, which was a little worrying since I hadn't done 18 in over TWO YEARS, so I made sure to back off for 13 & 14.  At this point, I figured a fast-finish was in order, since things felt good and smooth and the gel I took at 9 was finally kicking in.  15-17 were at GA effort, ~7:40 pace, with a short steep hill to finish the interval before a mile cool down back to the house.  

The legs are definitely coming around for peaking time, so I'm excited to see what the next month brings.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Chris M wrote:I'm going to have to start showing up here again!  Sorry I've been MIA for a few months.  Running with Mike and Kevin is the perfect thing to boost enthusiasm for all things running.  Great seeing them and catching up.  I'm in any day for a repeat run.  Cool that Mike and Aileen will be our neighbors now and Kevin and I will be pulling Mike into lots more long runs and local races soon.  Check out the first 5 routes on the attached link.  We will literally cover EVERY mile (Ok, not ALL of the C&O one out to Cumberland...) of these rail trails during upcoming runs.   And we need to take the two of them out to the same place we took Jim out near my house (the off road trails by the Potomac River in Great Falls Park).  So many routes to run - we best get to it!

http://bikewashington.org/trails/index.htm
Yeah.  I told Mike and Aileen to run that Vienna Turkey Trot.  It had to be one of, if not the, hilliest 10K I've ever run including many a hilly course in GA.  Now don't beat each other up too much.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next