365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hanson Plan

+2
ounce
John S
6 posters

Go down

Hanson Plan Empty Hanson Plan

Post  John S Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:47 pm

I wanted to get some feedback on the Hanson plan from those of you who have employed it.  I'm using the advanced plan outlined in the book.  I will be running Grandma's this June.  My goal is to break 3 hours.  I've used Pfitz's mid mileage plan to a 3:09 a couple of years ago.  I'm six weeks in and so far like where my fitness is at.  I'm a little nervous about topping out at 16 miles on my long runs though.  
John S
John S

Back to top Go down

Hanson Plan Empty Re: Hanson Plan

Post  ounce Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't know Hanson's plan, but what if you upped the mileage on the long runs by a couple of miles each run, so you get up to 20 on the week that you'd do 16?

But I don't know about Hanson's plan, nor the themes of the plans.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:06 pm

ounce wrote:I don't know Hanson's plan, but what if you upped the mileage on the long runs by a couple of miles each run, so you get up to 20 on the week that you'd do 16?

But I don't know about Hanson's plan, nor the themes of the plans.

They work on a cumulative fatigue program and pushing the long run out further than prescribed is not only difficult, but would probably result in needing to back off the next weeks runs. I've not personally done it, but others here have with some success.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John S Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes, the cumulative fatigue concept is what drew me to the plan.  That, and I wanted to try something different.  I don't plan on modifying the plan at all.
John S
John S

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:05 pm

I used Hansons last year when I trained for Missoula. I felt that it got me in incredible shape. However, I did bonk and die at just past mile 16. Now, before that freaks you out, I also think my issue was not the 16 mile cap. I simply went out too fast for a monster several mile long hill that came up at mile 13. Later that year, I made my goal just fine with not a lot of training and I think the Hanson's training had gotten me in such good shape to allow for that. I also got a couple of big half marathon PRs last year, once while training for Missoula, and again that fall.  Missoula did leave me not wanting to ever cap things at 16 again though. Psychologically I need some 20s.

I am now training for Bayshore in May using a modified Hanson program. I am doing all of the Hanson's speed and strength work, but my long runs are on a 9 day apart schedule and I am doing 2 16 milers, an 18 miler and two 20s (I had multiple 14s before all of that for long runs). I basically put together all the things that I felt worked best for me in the past and mashed them all into one program. I'm feeling pretty good right now with the program.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Used it for Boston 2012, I did survive the 87F temps but slow for me finish and walking like 90% of runners on that day! So hard to tell, felt in great shape though and PR'd in a 10 mile 2 weeks later.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 am

I really like the Hansen plan. I used it last year for Chicago and am using it again now for Boston. It does work on cumulative fatigue but if the 16 mile cap does bother you, you can add some slow miles to the run. For example, my long run pace with their plan is 8:42. I might add 2 miles warm-up at 10:00 and a recovery mile at 10:30. It doesn't feel like it adds to the fatigue but does get a few more miles on it.

Last year at Chicago,  training was going great and then I developed a first ever case of PF 4-5 weeks before which definitely stopped some training. I don't know the exact cause but I wonder if the regular long MP runs contributed to it. This training period, I have been doing calf stretches 2-3 times a week and have not had any reoccurence of it. I missed my goal time in Chicago by 5 minutes or so but I attreibute that to the PF. Overall, I felt really good running it.

One thing that was hard for me was the long MP runs during the summer. Between the heat we had and numerous windy days, it was very difficult to get these in outside so I had to resort to the treadmill sometimes for those especially in the heat of the summer. All in all, I really like the plan and am also doing the advanced one.

Mentally, I think it's a little difficult to accept the plan because the tempo paces are only 10 seconds faster than MP and even the speed workouts are not as fast as most other plans. But it's that cumulative fatigue item that makes it unique. So if at all possible, it's good to maintain their schedule and not move days around as that messes with the fatigue thing.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John S Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to hear some testimonials from experienced runners. This helps increase my confidence in the plan. When this cycle is done and the race is finished I'll be sure to report how Hanson worked for me.
John S
John S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down