Welcome to the I-Team (formerly 365Runners)
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter G

+2
Michele "1L" Keane
mountandog
6 posters

Go down

Alter G Empty Alter G

Post  mountandog Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:34 pm

I had an interesting experience today.  I ran on the anti-gravity treadmill, Alter G.  One of the Hanson-Brooks runners has a PT business and he invited me to try it.  It was pretty cool.

You wear this girdle type contraption over your normal shorts and then you get zippered in and vacuum pumped.  It's a pretty hefty machine.  I ran at 85% (meaning it suspended my weight by 15%).  That's the minimum recommended level as anything heavier you might as well just run on a regular TM.  Overall the girdle felt comfortable, kept the family intact and after a couple of miles you don't even know you have it on.  One downside is you sweat like crazy.  I'm not a big sweater, but I was soaked when I stepped out of it.  On the plus side, there is no way you're going to trip, fall down or fly off the machine.  After I ran, a 99 yr old man, was in there and they bumped it up to 15%, so he was basically running on air, but really safe as the girdle kept him upright the whole time.  He turns 100 in 6 months and wants to go for a mile walk.

I had a workout scheduled (8x800 @ 6:00/pace) so I thought this would be a perfect tryout.  It was also a nice break from running 7 days in a row on a TM and this definitely broke up the routine.  The workout seemed really easy.  I feel like I cheated on the workout, which I probably did.  I weigh about 165 and this simulated a weight of about 140.  Now that would be cool to be able to run at that weight.  I ran the last 800 at a 5:40 pace and could have done it faster.  The machine held me a bit more upright than I normally run (which is a good thing) but I can tell that my stride was a tad different.  Maybe a bit higher knee, not really sure, but one knee definitely was a sore after.  I'm told this is normal because your gait is modified a bit.

Anyway, it was a fun experience.  If you have the chance to try it, don't pass it up.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Alter G Empty Re: Alter G

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm

I ran on one when I was rehabbing my achilles. Loved the little tutu that you had to wear to get all zipped in.  The miles did seem to fly by on the mill though.  My chiro hasone and I have considered using it for recovery runs as you can rent it by the hour.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:34 pm

That sounds kinda fun!!

I know that the anti-gravity treadmills are normally used when rehabbing injuries. Are there any other times that someone might use one?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm

yeah - when you want to run fast than you can.  I'm gonna try it again in see if I can run a sub 2:30 half mile.  Might have to go to 70% or 80% but what the hell.  You gotta have some fun doing this running thing.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Recovery runs after a race.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 pm

That does sound like a good experience though I am hoping I never need to use one, not that I'd know where to find one around here.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Gee, with my Compartment Syndrome (when it acts up), I would love to own one. Shoot, I could see 5 minute miles again. I have not seen those since my freshman year in college (1985).
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down