365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Further Study Today

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am

For all that happened yesterday, I am pleased. I really pulled the gastroc, but ample ART and working with inserts has limited ( or will limit) the downtime that normally occurs. I took each 10 minute segment and did an inventory. I did have to stretch 3 times during the run ( 10 seconds each), but at the 47 minute mark, it was really like holding on for dear life. It was tightening up like crazy, but I made it. The knot was huge all last night, but I spent 20 minutes with the stick ( boy that thing works) and today, it has decreased. The agenda for the day is this:

60 minute bike ride ( I am thinking 13.5-14.5 miles)
ART after I pick my son up
30 minute run ( maybe 50 minute if I can do it) while he is asleep
20 minutes Pilates
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Rough

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Well the 60 minute bike ride was rough. The odometer on the bike stated 15 miles and if that is the case, goodness I did a good workout. That was 600 calories burned. I did my ART and was told to run for 30 minutes tonight. The tightness is gone, so we shall see what happens. I was told that if there is no tightness, come back next Tuesday, if so, tomorrow.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 pm

So far, so good. Crossing fingers that things heal quickly.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Well the 60 minute bike ride was rough. The odometer on the bike stated 15 miles and if that is the case, goodness I did a good workout. That was 600 calories burned. I did my ART and was told to run for 30 minutes tonight. The tightness is gone, so we shall see what happens. I was told that if there is no tightness, come back next Tuesday, if so, tomorrow.

Hey Michael I hope that 30 minute run went well for you tonight and the the tightness stayed away.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 am

Schuey wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:Well the 60 minute bike ride was rough. The odometer on the bike stated 15 miles and if that is the case, goodness I did a good workout. That was 600 calories burned. I did my ART and was told to run for 30 minutes tonight. The tightness is gone, so we shall see what happens. I was told that if there is no tightness, come back next Tuesday, if so, tomorrow.

Hey Michael I hope that 30 minute run went well for you tonight and the the tightness stayed away.

Well I wanted to run. The treadmill was there. I did not for my wife's patients canceled on her and we had family time ( So You Think You Can Dance..LOL). I do have 50 minute run planned for today. I hope I can bike too. We shall see.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty No Running

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 am

I was in court all day long ( Adoption stuff), so no running. I was going to do a slow 5 miler this morning and come back with a slow 5 miler today. So far, nothing is hurting ( the Achilles aches a little). We shall see.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:50 am

Good luck with the Achilles.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Pushed Run Back To 3 PM

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:52 am

I did not run this morning. Again, I think it is hesitancy. I will get over this. I will go to the YMCA early enough to get my run and bike in. I will also be more adventurous on Saturday, maybe mixing up the pace a bit. I will get back to 7-7:30 pace, but again, I am thinking the week of July 11....

Today:
Run for 50 minutes..I will start at a 10 minute pace and mix it down to 9:30 to see how it feels
Bike for 30-40 minutes to get the knots loose.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Still Working Back to Normalty

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Actually, folks use normalcy. The word was supposed to be normalcy, but President Harding got it wrong. Now...look...LOL. The workout was good. I actually made it through the whole run with out a spasm or having to stretch. That is a big deal. 5 miles at 50:00. I know it is slow, but heck, from not running to this, this is good. I will take it. Tomorrow, 5 miles at 50:00. Next week, we will slowly work back to 9 minute pace. The week after that, 8 minute pace. By the way, 50 minutes on the bike right after. 12 miles in the book on that one. I have 10 miles running and 38 miles biking.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Nice workout! I'm a fan of SYTYCD.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:Nice workout! I'm a fan of SYTYCD.

Well, me, not so much. I watch because my son and wife like it. LOL.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Still Aways To Go

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:33 pm

I can say this. I know I am coming back. I was able to run .50 miles at an 8:30 pace today before it started tightening up. I was then able to do a mile at a 9 minute pace before I had to back off to a 10 minute pace. I really did a good job on this gastroc. It will get better, I know it. It is just going to take some time. I am still thinking I am on track for my first 7:30 pace run the last week of July. That is my thinking now. To help me in this recovery, I bought a 114.00 dollar indoor bike from Walmart. It is a Marcy ME. Now before you all start to laugh, I need this bike on one hour rides on Sunday and three 50 minute rides during the week. This will keep my stamina up during this time and keep me fresh during the year. I have 5 miles this week.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-ME-708-Upright-Exercise-Bike/11820042
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Thinking On A 5th of July

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:16 am

I was thinking ( and going over) about my timeline to get back to where I was. This week will be at a 10 minute pace, working toward a 9 minute pace by this Saturday. I am sure I will have to massage, ice and use ART all week to get there. Also, my orthotics will be adjusted again. Sigh. Next week should be me at a 9 minute pace working toward an 8 minute pace. The week of the 18 th should be my first foray into a 7:30 pace and then I am thinking the week I am off, 7:30 pace and below. That is my schedule. Will my body let me, I sure hope so. The 50 minute run will commence at 4 pm today.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:23 am

Glad you didn't have any issues on your run and it looks like you are headed in the right direction. By the way, off topic but will this fall be an El Nino or La Nina because I am going to scream if we have another La Nina year this year. Last year was awful with the up/down/up/down all fall/winter. So far this summer has been one thing.....UP!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 am

Joel H wrote:Glad you didn't have any issues on your run and it looks like you are headed in the right direction. By the way, off topic but will this fall be an El Nino or La Nina because I am going to scream if we have another La Nina year this year. Last year was awful with the up/down/up/down all fall/winter. So far this summer has been one thing.....UP!

I am trying. This is frustrating, but it will get better slowly. I have been dealing with this since 1991, so I know of this slow process. Weatherwise, I am thinking this will be a El Nino year. All research is pointing toward that. We are in a neutral period, believe it or not. It is period between the two extremes. It is called La Nada. I swear. LOL. I am thinking it will be cool and wet late fall into winter.

June 21, 2011: Record snowfall, killer tornadoes, devastating floods: There’s no doubt about it. Since Dec. 2010, the weather in the USA has been positively wild. But why?
Some recent news reports have attributed the phenomenon to an extreme "La Niña," a band of cold water stretching across the Pacific Ocean with global repercussions for climate and weather. But NASA climatologist Bill Patzert names a different suspect: "La Nada."

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/24jun_wildweather/
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:49 pm

So at least the adoption is going smoothly?

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Adoption

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 am

Liz R wrote:So at least the adoption is going smoothly?

Oh boy. As with this whole case, there are STILL bumps and bruises. At least he is ours for good. Adoption, well that will take awhile. We are thinking October to December now. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Day To Reflect

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 am

Took yesterday off. I did not want to, but work made it necessary that I did. Today, 5 miles at 50:00. I can tell you that the plan is to go for 30 minutes and then slowly bump it up to a 9:30 pace by the time the 50 minutes is over. Come to find out, I did slightly pull my gastroc muscle. I do have ART this evening. Oh and get this. I was supposed to get my bike July 12. Nope, I will get it today ( got it at 9:14 am). It will take some time to put it together, but at least I can do bricks at home.

Last edited by Michael Mitchell on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am

La Nada...how about LA FREAKIN HOTTA!!! Mad

You do know I am going to hold you to that El Nino prediction...bring on the wet and cold, it is soooooooo much better than this mess we are in now.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Great...LOL

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:18 am

Joel H wrote:La Nada...how about LA FREAKIN HOTTA!!! Mad

You do know I am going to hold you to that El Nino prediction...bring on the wet and cold, it is soooooooo much better than this mess we are in now.

Ok, I will try and produce. This has been horrible. Oh get this, the hottest June would have been the 8 th hottest August. Right now, we are headed for the hottest July ever. Will it ever cease? There are hints ( just hints) that we might be undergoing a slight pattern change. Stay tuned on that one.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:44 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Joel H wrote:La Nada...how about LA FREAKIN HOTTA!!! Mad

Ok, I will try and produce. This has been horrible. Oh get this, the hottest June would have been the 8 th hottest August. Right now, we are headed for the hottest July ever. Will it ever cease? There are hints ( just hints) that we might be undergoing a slight pattern change. Stay tuned on that one.

So this June was the hottest? I am glad I missed 1/2 of it while in Alaska then because the rest of it SUCKED and so far July has SUCKED TOO...I mean really we are hovering around 97-100 every day and it is only July. If August continues this trend we could see 105-110...BLEH!!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Hot

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:53 am

Yeah..it was hot. You missed it. The problem it three-fold. First, there is a stubborn high pressure ridge that will not go anywhere. That lends itself well with the La Nada. Essentially, things do not move as fast as in other climate patterns. Second, the jet stream is way up in the CONUS ( Contiguious United States). Normally, we get some interaction with it. This year, none. Lastly, we have been a drought for what seems forever. With the dry conditions, it does not take much to heat up the land. The heat just radiates back and makes it rough. The rain and or seabreeze fronts that we usually get, do not get started because one, no moisture to work with and two there is a cap from all this heat and it is just as hot up in the air as it is on the ground. I am not sure we will see 110. Not that I think we cannot, I just think we will slowly see a pattern change. That will have us seeing more precipitation and thus keep some of the temperatures down.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Yeah..it was hot. You missed it. The problem it three-fold. First, there is a stubborn high pressure ridge that will not go anywhere. That lends itself well with the La Nada. Essentially, things do not move as fast as in other climate patterns. Second, the jet stream is way up in the CONUS ( Contiguious United States). Normally, we get some interaction with it. This year, none. Lastly, we have been a drought for what seems forever. With the dry conditions, it does not take much to heat up the land. The heat just radiates back and makes it rough. The rain and or seabreeze fronts that we usually get, do not get started because one, no moisture to work with and two there is a cap from all this heat and it is just as hot up in the air as it is on the ground. I am not sure we will see 110. Not that I think we cannot, I just think we will slowly see a pattern change. That will have us seeing more precipitation and thus keep some of the temperatures down.

I make it my business never to complain about the heat since I complain all winter long, but you're really living in an inferno down there. It looks like a "perfect storm" of factors coming together. I hope you do get that precipitation that you're hoping for.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Who knows Seth? I am just seeing and noticing the changes....
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 6 Empty Starting To See A Flicker

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm

A flicker of hope. Today I was optimistic for the first time since I pulled the muscle. First, I did not have to stretch it during the run. Very happy about that. Second, the calf seems to be ok. The knot is in the gastroc. You say, well that it is still there. Yes, but I can work that out. I have run a 7:30 pace with the knot. The Stick and ART will so be done on myself...by myself. I have 10 miles this week. Oh by way, my bike is here. I am not "one that is handy", so I am waiting on my wife to help me put it together. She has that talent. She told me that I could put it together, but she bet that it would fall apart after one ride. I will wait on her.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next