365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Pace Others

+26
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Dave P
KBFitz
Chris M
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
jon c
mul21
JohnP
charles.moman
Neil Ruggiero
Penelope
GregC
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Nick Morris
healdgator
Seth Harrison
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
30 posters

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 4 Empty Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:.... there were some definite hills there.

Did Chris tell you it was flat? I'm just curious Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:

Yeah we heard that one from Chris before! Evil or Very Mad
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm

sounds like a good run with some friends!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 pm

sounds like a great run Jim...sometimes it's nice to break up the alone time with some running with friends. Plus it sounds like it was a great scenic route...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am

Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Looks like you had a nice time running with Chris and Kevin. That's what it's all about. Different scenery too can make it that much better too.
Alex, if I had gone out to run myself I never would have known about this place or found it. Running with Kevin and Chris made it easier, even if the pace was tough given the heat and humidity. There is also the fact that I am a hill wimp from Chicago and there were some definite hills there.

Hope you are able to get some runs in on the W&OD before you head back to Chicago. Thinking about it from where you will be running from, it will be a better run to head WEST first (away from DC). There's a large hill right near where you will start which is no fun but there's a lot less road crossings going that way and its a more peaceful uncrowded portion of the W&OD.

Great seeing you and running with you yesterday. Let's get the DC run details worked out for next week.

I was on the W&OD yesterday, .5 miles from the hotel, and headed west. I know the hill you are talking about, but overall it was a decent place to run. Not as much fun as Tuesdays run, but it will do.

OK, let me look at where I will be staying and get back to you. I know it is close to the metro and the class is close to the White House.

KBFitz wrote:Jim, let Chris and I know where you'll be staying in DC and what type of run you would like to do. We've got some nice shaded trails in Rock Creek Park (where our elite Ethiopians train) and of course we have the National Mall (mostly unshaded). Early mornings are best for any type of run this time of year ... but state your preferences and we'll come up with something to satisfy. Cheers!

OK, will check on it as soon as I get a chance. Running yesterday evening in this weather wasn't fun. Are you and Chris looking forward to the fried bananas this weekend?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:

No, he did say there were some hills. He said he preferred the out section, but I preferred the back section.

Schuey wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:

Yeah we heard that one from Chris before! Evil or Very Mad
Fortunately there were no big surprises and the trail was a fun one.

Julie wrote:sounds like a good run with some friends!
It sure was.

Nick Morris wrote:sounds like a great run Jim...sometimes it's nice to break up the alone time with some running with friends. Plus it sounds like it was a great scenic route...
The running with friends on such a varied and scenic trail was great.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Happy times running with friends. Smile
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 am

Dave P wrote:Happy times running with friends. Smile
Agreed!

Wednesday I did 6.27 miles on the W&OD trail and 4 miles yesterday. It is too hot to do much longer than that. Hopefully tomorrow it will be cooler for the long run in Chicago.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 am

I hear you on the heat. When it is extremely hot, I haven't gone more than six at one time. I may add another run in the evening, but more than that will simply exhaust me at least at this point. As you say, hope it cools some over the weekend.

Glad you can run with friends sometimes. I live in a small town so usually train on my own. Occasionally a buddy will ride bike along with me which is nice, but not too often.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:38 am

jon c wrote:I hear you on the heat. When it is extremely hot, I haven't gone more than six at one time. I may add another run in the evening, but more than that will simply exhaust me at least at this point. As you say, hope it cools some over the weekend.

Glad you can run with friends sometimes. I live in a small town so usually train on my own. Occasionally a buddy will ride bike along with me which is nice, but not too often.

Wednesday I originally planned on 8 and ran out 4 miles, but by the time I was a little over 6 miles decided to walk it in and stop at a store along the way for a big Gatorade. I should have been carrying some fluids.

I am lucky that I do the long runs during Chicago Marathon training with a group as a pace team leader. It motivates me to not miss a run and keep my pace slow/consistent. Tomorrow we will slow it down for our 12-16 mile run.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

I know exactly the 7-11 where you stopped! I have bought many a Gatorade there. No bathrooms, though! Gotta use the gas stations next door. Tuesday seems to work best for me for a DC run next week. That work for you and Kevin? I could be talked into doing in early AM although evening probably is the easiest for me. But whatever works, including a different day if needed.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Chris M wrote:I know exactly the 7-11 where you stopped! I have bought many a Gatorade there. No bathrooms, though! Gotta use the gas stations next door. Tuesday seems to work best for me for a DC run next week. That work for you and Kevin? I could be talked into doing in early AM although evening probably is the easiest for me. But whatever works, including a different day if needed.
Cool! I will send you an email with where I will be staying and teaching next week in a couple of minutes.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Please carry some or a lot of fluids on your runs over an hour. It is just brutal outside why make it harder.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Please carry some or a lot of fluids on your runs over an hour. It is just brutal outside why make it harder.
Excellent point Kenny, thanks! I know better, but once in a while a reminder doesn't hurt. I traveled out here and didn't bring anything to carry fluids.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I am tired from the trip from DC and probably got 4-5 hours sleep last night. I lead the 9:00/mile pace group and we did 14-16 miles with miles 12-14 at a faster speed. We took the pace relatively easy as the humidity was high, but the temps were nice in the 70s.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 am

Yesterday evening I ran an easy 5 miles on a street near my hotel in DC. This evening I will be running with Kevin and Chris again. It will be hot, sunny and humid, but at least it won't be solo.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Yesterday evening I ran an easy 5 miles on a street near my hotel in DC. This evening I will be running with Kevin and Chris again. It will be hot, sunny and humid, but at least it won't be solo.

Hope you guys have fun tonight. Wish I was down there to join you for the run and dinner.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:19 pm

have a fun run with your friends! I always have water now even for shorter runs and the night before fill it half way and freeze it. Just top it off with cool water before leaving and you have cooler water for most of the run. I'm sure you already know that but it does help.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 am

Seth Harrison wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Yesterday evening I ran an easy 5 miles on a street near my hotel in DC. This evening I will be running with Kevin and Chris again. It will be hot, sunny and humid, but at least it won't be solo.

Hope you guys have fun tonight. Wish I was down there to join you for the run and dinner.

Seth, even though I tripped on the trail when we were out for just shy of 10 miles it was a great run. The trail had a nice hill profile and enough roots and rocks to keep your attention. Kevin and Chris had mentioned you normally trip on a trail when it isn't as difficult when you stop focusing as much and that is what happened to me. I think you would have enjoyed the trail, the nice shade and the lower humidity. The place we went to eat is in Kevin's neighborhood and was very good, I had twin burritos.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:50 am

Julie wrote:have a fun run with your friends! I always have water now even for shorter runs and the night before fill it half way and freeze it. Just top it off with cool water before leaving and you have cooler water for most of the run. I'm sure you already know that but it does help.

Julie, I had a lot of fun on the run. I didn't bring water, but hydrated a lot before the run. We had water at the start/finish and 2 other places along the run. Chris and Kevin both have some nice trails that they run and there isn't anything comparable in my neighborhood. That is a great suggestion about freezing the water and topping it off before the run.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Sounds like run to run with 365ers. Keep up the good work!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Sounds like run to run with 365ers. Keep up the good work!

It sure makes the running a lot more fun and it feels easier too. I have now run on 2 trails I might not have experienced if not for Kevin and Chris. Thanks guys.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:19 am

Jim Lentz wrote:Kevin and Chris had mentioned you normally trip on a trail when it isn't as difficult when you stop focusing as much and that is what happened to me. I think you would have enjoyed the trail, the nice shade and the lower humidity. The place we went to eat is in Kevin's neighborhood and was very good, I had twin burritos.

I've done a good job of tripping on smooth trails and extremely technical trails!
Looks like you guys had a fun evening.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 am

you live near a lot of 365 runners, don't you? I find some of my closest friends are my running friends. We run together often enough we have time to communicate with what's going on with our families and everything and running just lends itself to good conversation. Glad you're enjoying some new trails we just have so many mosquitoes here they're not my favorite area right now.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am

Seth Harrison wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Kevin and Chris had mentioned you normally trip on a trail when it isn't as difficult when you stop focusing as much and that is what happened to me. I think you would have enjoyed the trail, the nice shade and the lower humidity. The place we went to eat is in Kevin's neighborhood and was very good, I had twin burritos.

I've done a good job of tripping on smooth trails and extremely technical trails!
Looks like you guys had a fun evening.

Bingo, Seth on both points!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next