365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gotta Get Up And Try Chicago 2013

+11
amyjoann
Mark B
Chris M
Dave P
Chris Coleman
mountandog
Penelope
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Schuey
15 posters

Go down

Gotta Get Up And Try Chicago 2013 Empty Gotta Get Up And Try Chicago 2013

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Gotta Get Up And Try 

Where there is desire
There is gonna be a flame
Where there is a flame
Someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You gotta get up and try and try and try

Summer of 2005 seems like yesterday but yet it was a long time ago, the same goes for October 9th, 2005. This was the summer and fall that I decided to run and did run my first Chicago Marathon. As I reflect back, I remember sitting on my coach knowing that I had to make a huge lifestyle change or most likely I might not be here today writing this! It just happen to be that for some crazy reason I felt like I could complete a marathon and it so happen to be on my grandma’s 78th birthday. Back on that day I did complete my first Chicago Marathon, I did become hooked and on that day Oct 9th, 2005 the streak began!
I was really excited about this years edition of the Chicago Marathon, I felt like I was finally get back into the swing of things. For the first time for over a year training seemed to become more consistent although my weekly mileage was down. So, it’s safe to say that I was looking forward to race day to be able to evaluate my fitness level. I was thinking that a sub 3 would be very doable and so that was my goal. Everything was falling in place with getting ready for race day and all systems were a go. 

Then BAM 5 days before race day the unthinkable happened! Just like so many other times before (8x for Chicago to be exact) I went out on a Wednesday and did my normal race day prep run. The only difference this year since my mileage was down I decided to shorten this run to 6 miles instead of 9 and kept the intensity part of this run to 3 miles (in the past it would range from 2.5 to 4 miles). These 3 miles were done at 6:29, 6:27 and 6:24 and as I completed this part of the run I felt great. Nothing during this segment or right after completing these 3 miles gave me any sign that anything was wrong. It was then during my cool down back home that I thought to myself that my Achilles on my right leg felt a little tight. Still at the time I didn’t think very much about it. By time I got upstairs, I looked at Lisa and said I think I have a problem! My achilles seemed to tighten up even more by the time I got home.  

With all this going on I decided to play it safe and took Thursday off from running and said I would take it day to day as for running up to race day. Friday had come and I could still feel the tightness and soreness, again I decided not to run. It was also at this time I started to feel a little wore about what was going on. I spent time looking back at my training and everything that I had done over the last month. There was nothing that jumped out at me that was so different in my training. Was this just one of those freak things that was taking place? By time Saturday came around things felt much better and I went out for a shake out run, this was a tough choice. To be honest I think I should have not run on Saturday also but I just felt that not running for 3 days beforehand and not have grasp on how sore my achilles was would have not benefited me for Sunday. Late Saturday night I was really considering not starting my 9th Chicago Marathon. I remember going to bed feeling as if I would not be doing my pre-race prep and that the streak would end. 

Ever worried that it might be ruined
And does it make you wanna cry?
When you're out there doing what you're doing
Are you just getting by?

For the first time on race day morning I didn’t wake-up before the alarm clock went off. When it did I got out of bed went to bathroom and then for the first time on race morning I went back and laid down in bed. Lisa asked what are you doing? I said I’m going back to bed and I’m pulling the plug on today, the streak is over! Lisa hit me in the arm and told me to get my ass out of bed and that I was running today. She was like what do you have to lose? Why not line-up start the race and if you have to take your first DNF then do so. She continued to tell me not to worry about your pride or ego and just go out and run easy and finish your 9th Chicago and keep the streak alive if you can! It all made sense to me, I figured what did I have to lose? Heck the start line is 5 minutes from our house and if things were bad at 2.5 miles it was only a 5 minute walk home and if things were not good I could run to the half and that is only a 10min walk home. Then I realized that I still had another out between 17 and 18 miles to were from Halsted St it was only 15min walk home from there but after that I felt as if I would then be committed to finishing the race. The good thing was that I now felt like I had options and that it was truly was worth going out and giving it a shot and see what happens. 

As always I left the house at 7:00am and did my easy jog over to the start. While doing this I noticed that the achilles didn’t feel that bad, yes I felt it and yes it felt tight but I felt like ok I can start this race. I made it into my corral by 7:10am and started getting my head right for the race. Although it was a little different because I didn’t know what pace I could hold that would be comfortable for my achilles and it was strange knowing that I didn’t have that feeling like I’m going to kick this person or this persons ass standing next to me. I have to admit that I’m truly a sight to see before a race when I’m competing (just ask, Chris, Matt W or Dave-O, they have all seen it before). Then I received the true sign that I wasn’t and shouldn’t push the pace on this race day. What happened? Well when I started my Garmin, I got the “LOW BATTERY” message. HaHaHa for some reason my Garmin didn’t charge the night before. 

Before I knew it the horn was going off and it was now time to make my 9th journey through the streets of Chicago!! Even though with everything going on with my achilles, I was still excited and love running through Chicago on race day. There is just so much energy and excitement and you can just feel it go through your body!!  I felt good but know that I would not be able to push the pace from the feedback I was receiving back from achilles and looking at my Garmin I pretty much know that about a 6:50 pace would be the threshold to were I could manage things without my achilles blowing up. It was at this pace or slower that I didn’t feel to much tension, soreness or pain. This was the first time that I thought well maybe the goal of sneaking in right under 3 hours would still be doable. Then it happen my Garmin went dead around 1.50 miles into the race, I remember laughing to myself and going well the day just became a little harder! This would  be the first time that I would run a race with out any feedback. I’ll be the first to tell you that I don’t obsess over looking at my watch on race day but I do use to manage pace and time at given points. 

Funny how the heart can be deceiving
More than just a couple times

After the Garmin shutdown things really went smooth for the rest of my day until with 12k left to go. It had to be around 20 mile mark that I could feel a little more pain and tighness in my achilles therefore I made the decision that it would be wise to slow the pace to were the achilles felt better. Beside that the last 6 miles went by find and I really felt strong, I really wanted to push the pace some more but just knew that my achilles wasn’t going to have any part of that. 

So in the end I remember just taking in the crowds on Michigan Ave and seeing my proud wife and daughter cheering and yelling my name as I was getting ready to make the turn onto Roosevelt! As I ran up Roosevelt and made the turn onto Columbus and seeing the finish line in the distance I was taken back in time. My mind went back to the Oct 9th, 2005 and the first time I saw the finish line and feeling that sense of pride and accomplishment of finishing my first Chicago Marathon. Then I remember Oct 22nd,2006 when at the same point I knew I was going to BQ for the first time. Then the thoughts of Oct 7th, 2007 hit me and I could remember how dam happy I was to see the end was truly near. Then there were the years 2008 and 2009 when I felt the accomplishment of knowing that I was still running and finishing marathons. Next up was Oct 10th, 2010 and battling a little warm day and feeling the pride that I rallied to come back and run a new PR on 80 degree day and finishing in 2:53. Then there was Oct 9th, 2011 when I felt so proud and honored to cross the finish line with Chris McKee. It was also on this day that my neckless opened up and I lost my charm that carried my dog Trinity’s ashes and I lost it right after the first mile. It was a sign from Trinity that it was time to let her go and race on my own. That day started out with so much hope and promise of me pacing him to his first sub 3 and then things went bad after 22 miles. Somehow we both stayed strong and did what we had to do to cross the finish line together, it was bitter sweet feeling. Oct 7th, 2012 I reflected on how I started to tear up seeing the finish line and the thoughts of seeing my daughter and rest of my family finish number 8. 

Then came Oct 13th, 2013 I had felt some proud of myself on this day knowing that I battle for 26.2 miles to now finish my 9th Chicago Marathon. Not only did I battle the pain I felt but all day long I had battled the urge to push the pace, the urge to race against others that I knew I could run faster then, battle the urge to race the person next to me that I know would help push me to the end and most of all the urge to battle the most of all worthy opponent the race course and my own mind. When it was all said and down I didn’t run a PR, I didn’t run sub 3 but I did run a 3:02:46 and only give back 2 minutes from the half. I did all this with a inflamed and hurting achilles and without no watch! It is safe for me to say that Oct 13th 2013 will forever be a race that will always stick on in my memory and will be in the top 5 of all marathons I have run. This day will always remind me that it’s all about getting out and giving it a TRY! 

Where there is desire
There is gonna be a flame
Where there is a flame
Someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You gotta get up and try try try

Last edited by Schuey on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Gotta Get Up And Try Chicago 2013 Empty Re: Gotta Get Up And Try Chicago 2013

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm

First off Martin, you have a very wise wife.  Second, this is one of those races that really made you work mentally and because of that, I think that you walked away a better runner/racer.  It sucks that the timing of your injury happened to be the week before the race, but the good news is that you came out of the race without further injuring yourself.  Now heal up and get ready to take on JFK!!!

Good work!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Wow, Martin congrats yet again!  Excellent job of using your mental toughness to get you through which only bodes well for JFK! And yes Lisa is a wise woman as I know you wouldn't have run if it had been up to you, and kudos to the Garmin for dying and letting you run by feel which is the best training that you can have.

As for the achilles, get on the towel stretches (loop the towel around the toes, pull back and hold) and roll the foot (just like with PF), both of those things along with some Nsaids if it is really tight work for me.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Stop training ultra...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Congrats on your 9th! Each is special in its own way.  I can only imagine how difficult to do the race without a garmin may be, but in some ways it could be freeing--it's almost like with your achilles and the garmin, you were meant to just enjoy this one in a more relaxed way, and not be after a certain pace or goal.  Here's to keeping the streak going!! And to Lisa from allowing you to go back to bed. Smile
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 am

Yeah to the streak.  Sorry I missed you.  See you in Boonesboro.  Hell of a story, hell of a race.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 am

A really good race, just after getting injured. Perhaps you had a better idea than Garmin about what you were capable of. Perhaps they make the things unreliable to give us more chance to run by feel. Perhaps not. Just a thought Smile
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Yeah for Lisa! - what a good wife to give you a kick in the a$$.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:03 pm

What up, buddy?   Just saying HI to say WOW what a tremendous race again and kudos to Lisa for kicking you in the ass to get out there and try.  And you did more than just try.....fantastic job of taking what the day handed you and working with it.  That's distance running and racing in a nutshell, isn't it?  That memory of us living together through my giant crash and burn at Chicago has actually become a good memory for me.  We went for it big time that day and I fell apart but its still a great and treasured experience for me.   You da man!

News for you.....you know how I always have to miss the JFK day itself because of the soccer tournament.  NOT THIS YEAR!  Yup, her tournament is the weekend before so I am IN to be part of your crew and I'd love to help in any way I can that day, including running stretches of the race with you if that is an assist.  We'll work out the details as the race gets closer but we are all excited to have you guys visit us and now I get to come out and play on JFK Day as well!   Fun!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Chris M wrote:What up, buddy?   Just saying HI to say WOW what a tremendous race again and kudos to Lisa for kicking you in the ass to get out there and try.  And you did more than just try.....fantastic job of taking what the day handed you and working with it.  That's distance running and racing in a nutshell, isn't it?  That memory of us living together through my giant crash and burn at Chicago has actually become a good memory for me.  We went for it big time that day and I fell apart but its still a great and treasured experience for me.   You da man!

News for you.....you know how I always have to miss the JFK day itself because of the soccer tournament.  NOT THIS YEAR!  Yup, her tournament is the weekend before so I am IN to be part of your crew and I'd love to help in any way I can that day, including running stretches of the race with you if that is an assist.  We'll work out the details as the race gets closer but we are all excited to have you guys visit us and now I get to come out and play on JFK Day as well!   Fun!
Awesome!!!!!  See you soon.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:31 pm

The streak was more important than the finishing time.

Congrats to you for seeing that, heading out and still having a great experience.

And hats off to Lisa for slugging you in the arm and getting your ass out of bed that morning! She knew this was something you needed to do, even if you didn't realize it at the time. That little mental assist made all the difference.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 pm

great race! you just gave me hope that my own achilles will behave and I will have a great marathon,I've only got one shot to run this one so I'm giving it all I have thanks
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Perty good with that bum Achilles! You weren't faking that injury just for effect were you? lol Way to smoke that course again, Schuey!!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:06 pm

That was a great read Schuey, great race under less than ideal circumstances. Hope to meet up with you guys next Boston.
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks for sharing your experience - hard to believe that you just sort of winged it like that and still did so well!  Good lesson for me - sort of a HTFU moment...  Great run and (yet another) marathon!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

Martin, your race was a perfect example of what running is about. You wakeup not feeling like running it,  your watch dies, but you get a little kick in the butt from Lisa and toe the line.  You end up throwing down a great time running it on feel.  Great job and hopefully that Achillies gets better for JFK. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down