365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleep and Training

+6
Michael Enright
JohnP
Julie
Jerry
Mark B
Nick Morris
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Julie Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Julie wrote:Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?

Neither. We just support each other. We tell others this is a running club, but think about it, it is really a support group, just like those for alcoholists, drug addicts etc. You name it.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Jerry wrote:
Julie wrote:Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?

Neither. We just support each other. We tell others this is a running club, but think about it, it is really a support group, just like those for alcoholists, drug addicts etc. You name it.

I get that. And I'm fine with off topic and randomness, I definitely lean that way. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Julie wrote:
Jerry wrote:

I get that. And I'm fine with off topic and randomness, I definitely lean that way. Very Happy

To bring it full circle Smile  This past Saturday night I did not get as much sleep as I normally would prior to a long run.  I got a little less than six hours and I could feel it a little on the run.  But I persevered and knocked out the 14 at a 7:58 with a fast finish.  I am not sure if I want to not get adequate sleep (for me) every night before my long runs, but I got it done this past weekend.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

I've run on no sleep lots. I figured as long as I was awake and up I may as well run, right?  But it sure is nice to get a good night's sleep.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:54 pm

All kidding aside, this actually is a topic of interest to me because I ran into a brick wall of sleep deprivation when school got out for the summer - which meant I was pushing my midweek runs to early morning - at the same moment one of my coworkers went on vacation, leaving me with 2+ weeks of night shifts. Seriously bad timing.

After enough nights with 5-6 hours of sleep (following my last big weekend of running), it was too much. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically ill due to total body fatigue. I had to drop a run last week so I could get at least a couple hours more sleep. 

I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

At any rate I took vacation days for  all of race week, so I should be rested and ready come race day.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Mark B wrote:All kidding aside, this actually is a topic of interest to me because I ran into a brick wall of sleep deprivation when school got out for the summer - which meant I was pushing my midweek runs to early morning - at the same moment one of my coworkers went on vacation, leaving me with 2+ weeks of night shifts. Seriously bad timing.

After enough nights with 5-6 hours of sleep (following my last big weekend of running), it was too much. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically ill due to total body fatigue. I had to drop a run last week so I could get at least a couple hours more sleep. 

I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

At any rate I took vacation days for  all of race week, so I should be rested and ready come race day.

Try to get some nap time over the weekend. I seriously thought about napping in the car working hours. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Mark B wrote:I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

I really think this probably contributed to my over training issue a couple years ago when getting ready for Chicago.  I have trouble staying asleep and rarely get more than about 7 hours.  Adding a 16 week cycle where I averaged 62 miles a week (a lot for me) to the sleeping issues probably helped push me over the edge.  The whole work thing really is a pain, but I suppose I'll have to hang on to the job to be able to keep buying running shoes!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Jerry wrote:I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.

In Texas? That sounds toasty. 

I have a coworker who heads out for lunch to a nearby park. He eats his lunch and takes a little snooze. At the same time, I'm usually trying to see how many miles I can walk without pitting out my work clothes. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Mark B wrote:All kidding aside, this actually is a topic of interest to me because I ran into a brick wall of sleep deprivation when school got out for the summer - which meant I was pushing my midweek runs to early morning - at the same moment one of my coworkers went on vacation, leaving me with 2+ weeks of night shifts. Seriously bad timing.

I have been there, too.  I ended up having to take a day off from running to try to get my body back to full strength.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 am

Mark B wrote:
Jerry wrote:I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.

I have a coworker who heads out for lunch to a nearby park. He eats his lunch and takes a little snooze. At the same time, I'm usually trying to see how many miles I can walk without pitting out my work clothes. Smile

One has to turn on the AC in the car of cause. That's how I noticed someone actually was in the "empty" vehicle.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am

Jerry wrote:
Mark B wrote:

One has to turn on the AC in the car of cause. That's how I noticed someone actually was in the "empty" vehicle.

I have seen some of my co-workers do this, as well.  Although, I think is because they were up partying the night before.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2