365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleep and Training

+6
Michael Enright
JohnP
Julie
Jerry
Mark B
Nick Morris
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Julie Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2680
Points : 8350
Join date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Julie wrote:Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?

 Neither. We just support each other. We tell others this is a running club, but think about it, it is really a support group, just like those for alcoholists, drug addicts etc. You name it.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006097
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Julie Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Jerry wrote:
Julie wrote:Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?

 Neither. We just support each other. We tell others this is a running club, but think about it, it is really a support group, just like those for alcoholists, drug addicts etc. You name it.

 
I get that. And I'm fine with off topic and randomness, I definitely lean that way. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2680
Points : 8350
Join date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Julie wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Julie wrote:Is this getting a bit off topic? Is this because of the new star system?

 Neither. We just support each other. We tell others this is a running club, but think about it, it is really a support group, just like those for alcoholists, drug addicts etc. You name it.

 
I get that. And I'm fine with off topic and randomness, I definitely lean that way. Very Happy

To bring it full circle Smile  This past Saturday night I did not get as much sleep as I normally would prior to a long run.  I got a little less than six hours and I could feel it a little on the run.  But I persevered and knocked out the 14 at a 7:58 with a fast finish.  I am not sure if I want to not get adequate sleep (for me) every night before my long runs, but I got it done this past weekend.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13832
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Julie Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

I've run on no sleep lots. I figured as long as I was awake and up I may as well run, right?  But it sure is nice to get a good night's sleep.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2680
Points : 8350
Join date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:54 pm

All kidding aside, this actually is a topic of interest to me because I ran into a brick wall of sleep deprivation when school got out for the summer - which meant I was pushing my midweek runs to early morning - at the same moment one of my coworkers went on vacation, leaving me with 2+ weeks of night shifts. Seriously bad timing.

After enough nights with 5-6 hours of sleep (following my last big weekend of running), it was too much. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically ill due to total body fatigue. I had to drop a run last week so I could get at least a couple hours more sleep. 

I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

At any rate I took vacation days for  all of race week, so I should be rested and ready come race day.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8028
Points : 19174
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 59
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm

 Mark B wrote:All kidding aside, this actually is a topic of interest to me because I ran into a brick wall of sleep deprivation when school got out for the summer - which meant I was pushing my midweek runs to early morning - at the same moment one of my coworkers went on vacation, leaving me with 2+ weeks of night shifts. Seriously bad timing.

After enough nights with 5-6 hours of sleep (following my last big weekend of running), it was too much. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically ill due to total body fatigue. I had to drop a run last week so I could get at least a couple hours more sleep. 

I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

At any rate I took vacation days for  all of race week, so I should be rested and ready come race day.

 Try to get some nap time over the weekend. I seriously thought about napping in the car working hours. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006097
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006097
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Mark B wrote:I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

 I really think this probably contributed to my over training issue a couple years ago when getting ready for Chicago.  I have trouble staying asleep and rarely get more than about 7 hours.  Adding a 16 week cycle where I averaged 62 miles a week (a lot for me) to the sleeping issues probably helped push me over the edge.  The whole work thing really is a pain, but I suppose I'll have to hang on to the job to be able to keep buying running shoes!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 6504
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Jerry wrote:I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.

In Texas? That sounds toasty. 

I have a coworker who heads out for lunch to a nearby park. He eats his lunch and takes a little snooze. At the same time, I'm usually trying to see how many miles I can walk without pitting out my work clothes. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8028
Points : 19174
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 59
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Mark B wrote:All kidding aside, this actually is a topic of interest to me because I ran into a brick wall of sleep deprivation when school got out for the summer - which meant I was pushing my midweek runs to early morning - at the same moment one of my coworkers went on vacation, leaving me with 2+ weeks of night shifts. Seriously bad timing.

After enough nights with 5-6 hours of sleep (following my last big weekend of running), it was too much. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically ill due to total body fatigue. I had to drop a run last week so I could get at least a couple hours more sleep. 

I could totally get the notion of increasing sleep as mileage increases... I just can't understand how anyone with a job and a family would find the time to get it.

At any rate I took vacation days for  all of race week, so I should be rested and ready come race day.

I have been there, too.  I ended up having to take a day off from running to try to get my body back to full strength.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13832
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 am

Mark B wrote:
Jerry wrote:I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.

In Texas? That sounds toasty. 

I have a coworker who heads out for lunch to a nearby park. He eats his lunch and takes a little snooze. At the same time, I'm usually trying to see how many miles I can walk without pitting out my work clothes. Smile

 One has to turn on the AC in the car of cause. That's how I noticed someone actually was in the "empty" vehicle.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006097
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am

Jerry wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Jerry wrote:I actually have seen people do just that, sleeping in the car on parking lot.

In Texas? That sounds toasty. 

I have a coworker who heads out for lunch to a nearby park. He eats his lunch and takes a little snooze. At the same time, I'm usually trying to see how many miles I can walk without pitting out my work clothes. Smile

 One has to turn on the AC in the car of cause. That's how I noticed someone actually was in the "empty" vehicle.

I have seen some of my co-workers do this, as well.  Although, I think is because they were up partying the night before.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13832
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Sleep and Training - Page 2 Empty Re: Sleep and Training

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum