365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More running, less sleep?

+2
John Kilpatrick
grennifer
6 posters

Go down

More running, less sleep? Empty More running, less sleep?

Post  grennifer Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 pm

I am starting to pick my mileage back up running wise, which for me means less sleep.

No, I am not getting up at 3am to run. But, whenever I run longer distances I can't sleep the following night. Yesterday, after running 10 miles, I slept about 3 hours that night. In January I ran an ultra and slept only about an hour the night after.

Why is it that the more I run, the less I can sleep.

Help.
grennifer
grennifer

http://perseverancerunner.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

More running, less sleep? Empty Re: More running, less sleep?

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 pm

When do you normally run? I know I do a lot of evening workouts and then it takes me a while to wind down and be able to sleep. Sort of sucks, I agree!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:44 pm

If it's disrupting your sleep that much, you're putting on too much, too fast. Ease it up until your sleeping resumes normally then bump the miles SLOWLY. That's a very clear sign of overreaching and bordering on overtraining.

That said, I sleep less per night (7-8 hours usually) now that I run lots than I did before I started running (9-10 hours).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:24 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:If it's disrupting your sleep that much, you're putting on too much, too fast. Ease it up until your sleeping resumes normally then bump the miles SLOWLY. That's a very clear sign of overreaching and bordering on overtraining.

That said, I sleep less per night (7-8 hours usually) now that I run lots than I did before I started running (9-10 hours).

I thought of the same thing that insomnia was one of the over training signs. One doesn't conclude it, but you can back off a little to see what happens.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:25 am

I'm a horrible sleeper these days - aside from the "piling on too much theory" could you be disrupting your internal clock by waking at different times?

I get up at 4:20 when I have to do a longer mid week run, and it seems that more often than not I get up around then on weekdays regardless.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 am

just sleeping 2-3 hrs in one night is different than just sleeping 7 or 8 hrs at night. Maybe you have too much on your mind? Or something is too much...
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  grennifer Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:13 pm

I appreciate all of your comments. I don't really think I am over-training. All I did was a 10 mile run, which for me is not anything special. No matter how gradual I go, it seems whenever I begin to plus up for a marathon I never sleep well the night after an LSD.
grennifer
grennifer

http://perseverancerunner.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down