365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virgin London Marathon 2013

+16
Dave P
amyjoann
Alex Kubacki
T Miller
Mark B
Jerry
Matt W
fostever
Chris M
jon c
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
Chris Coleman
KBFitz
20 posters

Go down

Virgin London Marathon 2013 Empty Virgin London Marathon 2013

Post  KBFitz Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:55 pm

In my first marathon (Philadelphia 2000) I hit ‘the wall’ at mile 18, sat down after finishing and couldn’t get up. I was basically immobilized the following day. Thankfully I didn’t hit the wall in any of my 21 marathons that followed, but I did perfect the crash and burn. You would think that a marathon veteran would know how to run a marathon well. I do and have done so a few times. But I generally go out too fast, feel good through 20 miles and gradually unravel thereafter.

So in the run-up to last Sunday’s Virgin London Marathon I thought it would be high time to nail the 26.2 mile distance. This meant I would need to show a lot of restraint in the early miles, pay attention to nutrition and hydration throughout and consume NSAIDs on the run. [I do not endorse or recommend this last bit—I do so to preempt swelling in my ankle.] While I was in good shape, my tune-up races showed that I was not quite back to the excellent form I was in before I ran the JFK 50 Mile in November. Nonetheless, I went in aiming to establish and hold a 7:15/mile pace for a 3:10 finish.

Race day dawned with chilly calm 36°F conditions under a brilliant cloudless sky. Temperatures would rise to 46°F at the 10am start on their way to a 58°F mid-afternoon high with a slight breeze. I joined a throng of roughly 36,000 runners taking the tube to the start in Greenwich Park. The journey went off without a hitch. We were treated to close-up views of several buildings including the Shard and the Gherkin that have dramatically altered central London’s skyline in the past decade. On the way into the park we were cautioned not to wee in people’s gardens.

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London10

I didn’t see any weeing. I didn’t wee either.

Like the New York City marathon, London has three assembly areas. Unlike New York, the assembly areas in London are spacious and well-managed. Moreover London employs a mass start—no waves—all runners in the mass race start together at 10am. The elite men lead out the blue start. Celebrity runners lead out the green start followed by us Good For Age runners. Fast Good For Age runners lead out the red start.

The Virgin London Marathon took place only six days after spectators and supporters at the Boston Marathon had been viciously attacked by two bombs set off at the finish line. In solidarity with the victims, runners and their supporters and the city of Boston, race organizers included small black ribbons in all kit bags for runners to affix to their running vests. In a very moving gesture of respect and solidarity, a thirty second moment of silence was observed shortly before the start. I can’t put into words how moving this was. No flyover. No national anthem. Just complete silence for reflection and respect. It steeled my resolve to run this race well … with restraint early on.

And we’re off! …slow as molasses in January. The small roads in the first few miles are thick with humanity of the runner kind. I thanked my comrades for keeping me honest. We merged with the blue start at 1200 meters and I had barely warmed up, crossing the first mile mark in 7:33. The only significant hill on the course drops 120 feet in one mile just before the 5K merge with the red start. By that time I was on pace (7:12/mile) and feeling very good.

At 10K, on pace, we passed the Royal Observatory Greenwich—home of the Prime Meridian and Greenwich Mean Time. Spectators packed the gangway as we circled around the Cutty Sark just up the road. Water stations didn’t use cups. Rather, Lucozade and water were handed out in small plastic bottles. As a trail runner I’m accustomed to carrying a bottle. I did so throughout and was able to keep thoroughly hydrated whilst skipping plenty of water stops. Neat.

As we wound our way around the Cutty Sark on the south bank of the Thames in mile 7, spectators began to cheer for me. They shouted ‘Go Kev!’ Hey, I liked it! But they weren’t cheering for me, of course.

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London18
Mile 6.3--Cutty Sark--A Mark between two Kevs

I told my namesake who had ‘KEV’ printed on his vest that I should stick with him and asked him for his finish time goal. He said 3:15 and noted that the Runner’s World pace team leader was right behind. I glanced off my left shoulder and there he was. Now I was spot on pace for a 3:10 finish. The worst thing a pacer can do in a marathon is to run too fast in the first half of the race. He was doing just this, providing [in my opinion] a real disservice to his team by setting them up to crash & burn. So I told him: ‘you’re on 3:10 pace, you know.’ He said he knew that and he planned to slow later. This is only one of the reasons I don’t run with pace teams. Within a mile the crowds weren’t cheering for Kev anymore as the 3:15 pace team had indeed slowed.

I cruised easy and on pace through 15K and 20K through Bermondsey and up onto the Tower Bridge over the Thames to the north bank, crossing the half marathon split at 1:35:06 …perfect.

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London10
Mile 12.5—Tower Bridge

I slowed momentarily after the half as I had some difficulty digging a naproxen out of my wrist wallet. But no worries, one must do what one must do.

Just before the mile 14 mark I was delighted to see the three race leaders coming back at me on the highway early in their 22nd mile. I didn’t recognize any of them, which I thought strange. Then about a minute back I saw the unmistakable Lilesa who was clearly working followed by Kebede who looked smooth and machine-like. What I didn’t know at the time was that the men’s race was just about to open up. Kibede was to maintain his smooth form and overtake all for the win some 23 minutes later.

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London11

Meanwhile I had entered a labyrinthine part of the course as it snakes its way through the Docklands on the Isle of Dogs from mile 16 to mile 20. My GPS watch went nuts here as we ran through long underpasses and canyons formed by tall buildings. Even so, I was fully aware that I had begun to slip off pace by about 5 seconds per mile. This didn’t concern me much. My muscles didn’t ache, my ankle was fine and I was not breathing hard. What did concern me was that I had begun to feel the precursor to a side stitch. My experience at the Marine Corps Marathon in 2010 was front and center. At that race I went through the half two minutes earlier (at 1:33), was forced by a bad side-stitch to walk for 30 seconds in mile 18 and suffered a serious blow-up in the last three miles. That experience taught me that pushing to hold 7:15/mile pace was likely to bring on the same unfortunate fate. So I decided to maintain the same level of effort—just below my lactate threshold—and hope for the best.

And it worked. The side stitch didn’t develop. But I did pay a price. From 30 to 40 km (roughly mile 19 to mile 25) I averaged 7:26/mile and gave back more than a minute.

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London12
Mile 23—London Bridge

I got a lift on the Embankment in mile 25 from the massive cheering crowds and from the fact that I didn’t feel bad at all and was passing many runners. After completing 25 miles the gloves were off, so to speak. I jettisoned the water bottle and went for it. I was flying from Westminster up onto The Mall in front of Buckingham Palace and even did my own little Kebede-like finish line salute …only an hour and five minutes later. I felt good, so why not?

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London16
Mile 25.5—Westminster............................Mile 26.1—The Mall

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London17
Mile 26.2—Finish on The Mall

I finished in 3:11:51, missing my 3:10 goal by nearly 2 minutes, but I was very pleased. I didn’t crash and burn. And I set a personal best time by more than a minute. (My prior best time at the marathon distance was 3:12:53 at Steamtown in 2009.) So Old Man Time hasn’t caught me yet.

A fine race experience. Because the organizers of the Virgin London Marathon pay attention to every detail, it's hard to imagine how they could make it run any smoother. Two thumbs up.

Last edited by KBFitz on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added image Mark btw 2 Kevs)
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Virgin London Marathon 2013 Empty Re: Virgin London Marathon 2013

Post  KBFitz Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Official Splits

Split...-Time Of Day….Time....Diff...min/km...min/M

10:23:03..
00:22:22..
22:22..
04:29..
7:11.9
10:45:35
00:44:54
22:32
04:31
7:15.2
11:08:08
01:07:27
22:33
7:15.5
11:30:53
01:30:12
22:45
04:34
7:19.3
HALF
11:35:47
01:35:06
04:54
04:29
7:11.1
11:53:38
01:52:57
17:51
04:35
7:21.7
12:16:26
02:15:45
22:48
04:34
7:20.3
12:39:32
02:38:51
23:06
04:38
7:26.1
13:02:38
03:01:57
23:06
04:38
7:26.1
Finish time
13:12:32
03:11:51
09:54
7:15.5
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm biased of course, but what a great race report. By now, you really have mastered the art of marathon, but your description of London makes me want to go back next year. So I shall. I was hoping to do Boston, but I think it would be wrong to stand in the way of people with a better reason for being there. Anyway, London is where I was born, so I have a particular affinity.

A good PB, leaving just enough room for another PB next time. Also some good photos. I don't do good photos any more!
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Well Kevin, now I know why I didn't have my pacer (i.e: guardian angel), to help me find my way to the finish line in another brutal Boston! You were missed in Boston, and not just by me.
The London organizers did a wonderful job in honoring the victims of the terrorist attack in Boston. The running community felt a whole lot smaller knowing that thousands of runners in London paused for a moment to remember and reflect.
As for your marathon, congratulations on a PR and for coming pretty close to what looks like a perfectly executed race. I loved your report, along with the great photos...and love those fashionable shades! You looked great!
Again, congratulations on a great race, and thanks for providing us with a terrific read.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Great job on the race!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Wonderful report Kev, and congrats once again on a fantastic race! I'd say you won this time, not the marathon. The hairdo could use some work though Wink. See you at JFK.

(And Chris, thanks - I was born in Boston, so a good reason for me to go back as I can't get into London any easy way that I see. Marathon Tours is now charging an extra $250 fee to be part of the "Continent Club" if you want an entry to London. Way to take advantage of us Yanks, if you ask me.)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Fantastic job, Sir Kevin. I'm holding back Old Man Time from getting to you. He's all over me.

Glad you had a good race and PR. And regarding 1L's hair comment, it would be nice to have that problem.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 pm

What a great report and nicely executed race! Congrats Kevin! It's nice when a plan comes together.

Your descriptions of the race makes one want to give this marathon a go. I'm sure it's a bit difficult to gain entry. Thanks for the pics as well.

PB's at our age aren't easy to come by. Outstanding.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Man, what a great report and super execution on a race plan! This sooooo makes me want to run London, my favorite (non hometown) city in the world. Offline you have to walk me through the "Good For Age" process and how I, um, can enter as a UK resident. Help me crack the code! When are you back and ready to do a long run to catch up? Drop me a line and you, Scott and I will get together for a run and some food afterwards and I want to hear more details about your UK Adventure.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Great report, Kev! Your pace, approach, travails, and yes, age, basically mirrors my own. When you spoke of the oncoming side stitch and dancing on the edge of that demon near the end it was exactly like a small chunk pluck straight out of my yet to be written Boston 2013 report. What a superbly run and executed PR race, huge congrats. I DVR'd the race and the actual elite pacers had them at a 2:01 pace for a good portion of the first half which seemed to have some damaging effects on the late race leaders. What a finish by Kebede! I'm kind of intrigued by the 3 separate start routes, interesting. One thing that truly disturbed me was them starting the wheel rims after the women's elite which created a collision at the first aid station between Tiki Gelana and Josh Cassidy altering their races.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Great race, Kevin! You did a nice job of sticking to your plan and listening to your body en route to a new PB! It's always rewarding when discipline and good judgement pay off. Keep up the good work and best of luck in your future endeavors. I hope to see you at another race sometime soon.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Kevin, unbelievable PR!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:21 am

A fantastic race report for a fantastic race, Kevin. The marathon distance may have bitten you in the butt a few times over the years, but it was you nipping at its heels this time. And to continue to PR after so many previous races? Impressive. And encouraging. Smile

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 am

Kevin, you killed it. I don't know how you do it but it sounds as though you're becoming a wiser runner and it's really showing in your races. Does this make you think that you could do JFK again? Great race and I wish you continued success in your running. See you at JFK!
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Great report and great race. Again amazing after taking time off after JFK from the injury. Congrats on a great run.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 pm

what a great race I laughed so hard about the no weeing warnings in the gardens thats great affraid It's so funny you mentioned that your a trail runner because I've been running more trails and was thinking you can pretty much wee anywhere on trails What a Face easier for you guys than us girls though. Thanks for grat pics and reports I hope I can look that effortless so late in a race, I hope the trails will help with that great job again!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Well done Kevin!

I'm another one trying to best my marathon time from 2009.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun May 05, 2013 10:58 pm

This was really just fantastic, Kevin. Great job on the patience and great execution throughout the race. Once a goal is missed, it's easy to miss by a lot but you kept going strong. Congratulations all around.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun May 19, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks all.

I really enjoyed running the London marathon this year. So much so that I'm giving serious consideration to running it again next year. It's so well organized that all a runner need do is train and execute. I've never finished a marathon stronger. While I wasn't going really fast, I was fast relative to others at the time.

Virgin London Marathon 2013 London11
Nuff said.

If my training goes well, I may just take a serious shot at fininshing in 3:0x next year.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun May 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I loved reading your report and the pictures went well with it. You really killed it out there and certainly no crash and burn at all. Age ain't got crap on you! Nice job.

Also, I like the little stat above on how many people you passed and passed you. Very cool.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 am

Went searching for a race report during my short break and came upon yours, Kevin, that I apparently missed.  Congrats on the PR and most importantly making it through consistently feeling well.  I'm a tad bit envious of your race pics...you look like a racer/runner unlike mine that always appear that I'm taking a walk break.  Smile  London is on my bucket list.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Great job Kevin!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down