365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissertating And Running

+9
Schuey
Dave P
Kenny B.
dot520
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
13 posters

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Quickie

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 am

Week before last....30 miles...Last week...21 miles....Yep...Today...14 miles..will do 10 miles today.....Biked 135 minutes this week. More at 10..LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Must Be Alert

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 am

Well, we went to San Antonio for Spring Break. I did not run those two days. I did run 5 straight days, so I did get 35 miles in last week. All at an 8 minute pace, but the mileage was done. I did have 45 minutes of biking last week, so that was done. This week, I did run on Sunday (56 for 7) and Wednesday (55:18 for 7 miles), so I have 14 miles for the week. One saving grace is that the NCAA Tournament is on, so that will be good. Second, all of the next four runs will be at the Lake Houston YMCA, so I will not overheat. Smile. The pollen is terrible here, so everyone is feeling me, even me. I was totally tired at the end of my run yesterday. I have 75 minutes of biking this week. I will add that Saturday will be funky. We have a soccer game at 1 pm. We are Washington DC, by the way. I will run...I think at 4 pm...I think...Until tomorrow...see ya...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Goodness Gracious Fred, Where Have You Been?

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 am

I am here. It has been a long while. Ok, first, let us catch up with the numbers. The last three weeks. 14, 30 and 33. Yep, those are the numbers. Getting better. I have been in a huge funk. Last week's biking was turrible. LOL. 30 minutes. That was it. Now, let us get to this week. I tried to run Sunday. I really did. After two miles, my legs were toast. Very weird. I just said, "nope, we are done". LOL. Yesterday. I was ready. Treadmill finally got fixed. I was ready. My mind was not. Legs were, mind was not. It happens. You cannot push the mind. So, I bagged it. That left me with two miles running this week and no biking. My brother in law and myself talked about doing P90X. Well, as you know in the past, I get through one day and I am like, "nahhhh". I know many runners that use it ( not all of it, but what is prescribed for them). Well, I was up at 4:45 am this morning. Got it done. Did I do the 20 and 30 reps they were doing. Certainly not. I did 5 and 7 and stated, I will get better with time. Just like running. After that, I saw I had 30 minutes to get my biking in. I did. It was hard and sweaty, but I did it. So far so good. It seems ( right now) that the P90X must have lit something under me. I will run in the 5 pm hour at home. My plan is a 7:48 pace for 7 miles. I will slowly get faster this week. I have to get back to a 7:30 pace. Dissertation...so far, still working on it. Revisions to the introduction and chapter one are going on. I am just writing everyday. That is the plan. By the way, I may race this October. The last two years of the Monster Mash, I have been hurt. I want to try and race for my child. The last time I raced, he was a toddler and did not come out. We shall see. I have to be in 6:45 shape ( my plan) to race. We shall see on the P90X. I will take it one day at a time. Lastly, soccer. My son scored a goal in a 1-1 tie two weeks ago. Our team is ok. We are 1-2-1. We won our first game last week. Both coaches were out, so I had to coach. Somehow, I did it. It was totally the kids though. Will catch up later today.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Too Tired To Give A Poop

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Been up since 4:45 pm. Fun. Ran today. I had to hurry the run up, so I ran a 38:55 for 5 miles. Last mile was at a 7:41 pace. Fastest since November. Told you I have been in a funk. Tomorrow, I have to get up at 4:45 to do the Plyometrix with my brother in law. I am doing this more for him than me. I will run 7 miles at Lake Houston tomorrow. Not sure of the pace, but with a warm up, that will give me 13 miles for the week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty P90X Is The Devil..LOL

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Goodness gracious. First, Plyometrics is hard, but liveable. Second, my brother in law is done for the day. I am not. I still have to run this evening. Lucky duck. I am tired and sore, but ok. I am just going to get the 7 miles in. I am adjusting, so the pace will be easy. 8 minute pace for 7 miles. That is it. Done. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty P90X

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 am

Still trucking along. I hate it. I am now through day five. Yeah, day five. For Land's Sake, that Yoga is nasty. I did 45 minutes of it. Ughh. I ran 5 miles yesterday at 39:00. It was humid. I did not like. I will run 7 miles this afternoon. That will give me 23 miles for the week. We are taking Easter off ( My BIL will do 30 minutes of walking, I will run for 7 miles) . I have to go to Santa Fe (Texas) for my family's Easter lunch. That is 65 miles away. I am just going to run and leave. LOL. Oh yeah, I have legs and back tomorrow. Yea me.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Ending On A Semi Positive Note

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 am

Yep. 15 miles. Disappointed no. It was ok. I am fine. I biked 60 minutes for the week. Sunday, ran a 47:30 for 6 miles in hot steamy conditions. I am happy. Today, 7 miles at 5 pm at a 7:42 pace. I have 6 miles this week. P90x tomorrow morning.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Where Have You Been Mack?

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:03 am

Busy, dang it. Ok, I ran 30 miles last week. That was a positive. Took my boy to his first track meet. He liked it. ( at 5 years old, who knows...LOL). He liked the speed events more than the distance. Figures. Now, back to the negatives. First, P90x can be the devil. I swear. We did Plyometrix and it hurt my knees and my calf (upper right). It took me out of running on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Yep. I got 30 minutes of biking on Sunday at least. So, I am coming back from this. It took out my brother in law too. His back is down and he still is not correct. I told him to go see my DC/PA for ART. We shall see. Today. Well, the P90x was cancelled at 5 am. Got up at 6 am. Did 30 minutes of biking. Ok, pretty good. Ran for 2 miles in 18:30. Even better. Calf was hurting, but ok. I started from a walk and finished with an 8:20 minute pace. I was happy I could run. LOL. Today, will be a 56 minute run, even paced, just trying to get the mileage in. That is the plan for the next three days. Just get the mileage in. Nothing frilly. I have 2 miles this week.

Last edited by Michael Mitchell on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Not Sure What Is Going On

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Yeah, really not sure. LOL. Ok, I started from scratch today. No miles for the week. First, my brother in law is still suffering from the Plyometrix. I am too, but mine is my calf, his is his back. We shall see if we are doing anything tomorrow. I biked for 30 minutes. Not bad. Felt good. Got on the treadmill this morning and ( I sound like I have told you all this before...oh well..lol) and started walking. Knee was semi bothering me as was the calf. Started running. Ok, so far so good. Got it all the way to an 8:20 pace. Ok, so far so good. Finished two miles in 18:30. Ok, sounds good. Got home late this afternoon. Gotta love Houston traffic. Started my run at 5:25 pm. I have to really huff it to get 7 miles in before my son and wife come home from soccer practice. Start at an 8 minute pace. The caffeine kicks in. Before I know it, I am running at a 7:30 pace. No, that is not a typo. I have not run that fast since early December. Hum. I finish at 53:55 for 7 miles. Humm. Not bad I say. Tomorrow could be a 53:30. Smile. I have 9 miles. I will run 2 miles yet again tomorrow morning and 7 in the afternoon. I am happy. Thank you. Also, the dry air is doing wonders for me.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Re: Dissertating And Running

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

It looks like you're trying to beat yourself to death here (is water boarding part of P90X, by any chance?), but nobody can argue with the fact that you're getting results.

Enjoy the spring weather while you can. And watch that calf!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Mark B wrote:It looks like you're trying to beat yourself to death here (is water boarding part of P90X, by any chance?), but nobody can argue with the fact that you're getting results.

Enjoy the spring weather while you can. And watch that calf!

Calf much better. Woo Hoo. No more Plymetrix. We are doing Ab Ripper X in its place.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Life Gets In The Way

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 01, 2014 4:40 pm

For Wednesday. I overslept. Yeah, I know. Also, I did not want to do any P90X. Still having nightmares over Plyometrix. Well, I was going to run 2 miles then go to work. My MIL slept over (my wife and she stayed up to buy cheap tickets at 1 am. Great job United..LOL) and we did not want to wake her. I decided to take some mental health hours and I waited. Well it got to nine and I decided, ok let us bag it until the afternoon. Well, I had to go back to work for a mandatory meeting. It was supposed to last one hour. HA. It went two hours. I get back home just in time to pick the little one up and get pizza. Sigh. I got up at 4:30 am this morning. We did chest and arms. It was ok. We are stronger. How can I tell? I can do chair pull ups ( I think that is what they are called). I could not do them the first time. Then got home. Ran 2 miles. Felt good. 18:10 with the last mile at an 8:06 pace ( I start from a walk then gradually get faster. It is the morning you know.) Today. When I leave here in 20 minutes, take the 42 minute ride home ( gotta love Houston). Get home 10 minutes before 5 pm. Get loose. Hopefully I can start at 5 pm or if not 5:05. The plan is a 7:42 pace for the first 30 minutes and then 7:36 pace for the next 23 minutes. That should get us home in 53:30. We shall see. I have 11 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Life CONTINUES to get in the WAY

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri May 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Great googla moogla. Well, I can say this. This week is just crazy weird. Lost my run in the afternoon, yet again. Why? Impromptu meeting with my associate director. Folks in my department are getting ansy and need to air out stuff. Well, that took 30 minutes. So, I am leaving at 4:30 pm. Then I get home at 5:30 pm. Family gets home at 5:45 pm from swimming practice. No run. No stinking run. Sigh. Well, I figure, I am going to air it out these last two days. I do not care. I did Ab Ripper X at 5:30 this morning. Dear Lord in Heaven. Well, let us say it will take awhile to even get close. Then I ran 5 miles. Yep. Started walking and finished with a 41:30 for 5 miles. Last two miles were at a 7:54 pace, so somewhat happy. Will do 7 today at home at 4:30. The minimum pace will be 8 minute pace. If I can follow two runs on Saturday, I will have 35 miles. At least I have something to hang my hat on. Sheesh. I have 16 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Hey, even if your legs turn to deconditioned noodles, at least you know you'll have beach-ready abs this summer!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri May 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Mark B wrote:Hey, even if your legs turn to deconditioned noodles, at least you know you'll have beach-ready abs this summer!

That is one way to look at it. Another way is I die trying. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Can 24 Miles Be Done In Two Days?

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri May 02, 2014 7:36 pm

That is the big question. So far, I am halfway there. I am ok. Not worn out, but still wondering. I ran a 54:15 for 7 miles. Not bad when you see that the first three miles were gone through in 24:00. The last five miles were at 38:45. I am getting faster. Yes I am. Tomorrow is, I think, legs and back. Oh what fresh hell is this. LOL. Then, I have to get home and run 5 miles. The recipe is not to hurt myself. LOL. I am thinking between 40-42 minutes. Then, go to my son's soccer game at 1 pm. Then run 7 miles at 5 pm. That will give me 35 miles for the week. Why am I doing this? First, I want to prove to myself I can. Second, I cannot believe what hole work and life put me in this week, so I am running mad. Smile. Will catch up with you after the 5 mile run tomorrow morning. I have 23 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Catching The Whole Scene Up

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 08, 2014 10:30 am

Well, the last week ended on 30 miles. I was worn out. I only was able to do 7 miles to give me 30 miles. Sunday, I was still sorta just there. I ran 2.5 miles . Monday, I ran 2 miles and on Tuesday, 5 miles at 38:55. By Wednesday, I was still only mentally half there. I ran a 38:55 again, but the last three were at a 7:30 pace. You must remember, in this funk I have now, I am walking the first .25 miles. LOL. Today, I started slow. I knew it. I was tired and I hate morning runs, but the way the days have been treating me, I would rather get something in. Passed the first mile in 10:18 and then I got serious. Smile. I finished in 40:55 with the last mile at a 7:24 pace. Add the humidity and that was not bad. I have 20 miles this week. I plan to run 7 miles today, but with the rain ( Love Houston) and me leaving at 4 pm, goodness only knows when I will get home. We also have to register my son for kindergarten at 6:30 pm. I am supposed to have my run done and meet them at McDonalds by 6 pm, but again, who knows with traffic. Also, I have to grade 120 final exams today. Fun. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Best Laid Plans

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am

I knew it. I knew. Rain and Houston and traffic. Lovely mixture. Well, I will say this. The morning run at least allowed me to get some work done. No run. Not even close. I left at 4 pm. Got home at 5:20 pm. Yep. 30 miles. Oh well. At least I ran. I have to learn to love morning runs. This morning. It was another bad traffic day. This was a Friday. Goodness me. Also, humid outside. Lovely. The run started off as usual, walking then slowly progressing faster. By the two mile mark, 18:30. By the four mile mark, I was running at a 7:19 pace (fastest since October, woo hoo). I ended with a 40:30 for 5 miles. Not too bad. It was hot. It was humid. I was soaked. I am done. Smile. Now, I have to grade finals all day today. I also want to run 7 miles at 4:30 pm. I am happy for the week so far. I guess the "getting at least 5 miles in the morning" will help the weeks when there is no way I can run in the afternoon. Sigh. I have 25 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Ending and Beginning

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 am

Well, I ended with a 5 miler on Saturday to give me 30 for the week. I can say this, I have a fresh approach to running mileage. Get the mileage done in the morning and the rest will take care of itself. Now, on Sunday and Wednesday, I ran in the afternoon, but using that approach, I have 25 miles right now. So far so good. All five 5 milers were in 40 minutes. That is ok, but getting there was the fun part. All of the them had sub 7:40 paced 4 milers, so we are getting there. All of them had 9:30 first miles, so negative splits. This morning it was 48 degrees. Yes, 48F. For Houston. Oh my gosh. I was not going to let this waste. ( That being said, I ran a 40 minute 5 miler yesterday, with the first mile at 9:18 and the last four at 30:45 in 70 degree weather. Amazing. I loved it). This morning, first mile at 10:18. I progressively got faster until I was at a 7:42 pace finishing. Great weather this morning. Just delish. Today, I will run at 5 pm. I know I come home exhausted, but I will use the same formula I have with the first five milers. Start slowish and gradually get faster. I am hoping for a 53:12 today for 7 miles. Talk at you later. Oh today, I have to:

1. Back up my courses I teach on my hard and flash drive. We have a new system and I have to have them at the ready in case all heck breaks loose.
2, Turn in HR stuff to my COO
3. Get five pages of chapter three of my dissertation ready for my coach tomorrow
4. Turn in a grade change
5. Make a FAQ for my HR File

Fun. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 am

Ye cats, Michael. With your schedule and commute, I can't figure out how you find the time to use the restroom, let alone run.

So with that in mind, I think this morning running experiment may work out well for you. I've done it before myself, and while it was difficult at first, I found my body adapted to it fairly well. Another upside for you, of course, is that it'd give you some running time when it's not the heat of the day. (Yes, I know it'll be as humid as the bottom of a swimming pool, but still.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Aren't you done teaching now for the summer so that you can finish up the dissertation?  Just wondering?  And that sounds like delish weather anywhere.  We have had absolutely awful weather this week here in Ohio - highs in the upper 80s with super high humidity, thunderstorms, tornadoes, frogs, locusts, plague - you name it.  Keep up the crazy good work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Mark B wrote:Ye cats, Michael. With your schedule and commute, I can't figure out how you find the time to use the restroom, let alone run.

So with that in mind, I think this morning running experiment may work out well for you. I've done it before myself, and while it was difficult at first, I found my body adapted to it fairly well. Another upside for you, of course, is that it'd give you some running time when it's not the heat of the day. (Yes, I know it'll be as humid as the bottom of a swimming pool, but still.)

Time management, I guess. Still cannot get my course to back up. Ugggh. Dadgummit. The HR issues will figure itself out by 12:30 pm. My dissertation, I am just going to work on it to episodes of Gunsmoke while I work on my Fall budget at the same time. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Aren't you done teaching now for the summer so that you can finish up the dissertation?  Just wondering?  And that sounds like delish weather anywhere.  We have had absolutely awful weather this week here in Ohio - highs in the upper 80s with super high humidity, thunderstorms, tornadoes, frogs, locusts, plague - you name it.  Keep up the crazy good work.

Yeah, my chair is giving me Summer One off. Summer Two, three classes. So yeah, my dissertation coach has the next three weeks mapped out. Also, my son and wife are going to Honduras to see family. I was told, Run, Write and Work until them get back June 26. Fun.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 12 Empty Last Chance at Paradise

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat May 17, 2014 10:59 am

Yep. Did not run yesterday. Wanted to. Felt like I owed it to myself. No go. Ok, this morning.  Started the first mile at 9:15. Now remember kids, I start my morning runs at a walk (13 minute pace). Then I get faster in increments of .5. Well, by the 3 mile mark, I was at 24:45 and I was thinking, woo hoo. I ramped up to a 7:30 pace and I finished at 39:45. I was happy. I have 30 miles for the week. Now, this afternoon. After my son's last soccer game at 1 pm, ( They are 3-3-1. They are playing the team that pasted them 5-1 in the first game of the season. This should be interesting. My son is now full time goalie and since that game, he has only let 4 goals go in all year long. We have no offense, but hey..LOL) we have a final get together and we are going to keep the team together for the fall. This could make us scary as they all grow older. I will start at a 8 minute pace then get faster. The goal is a 7:14 pace to end the 7 miler. We shall see.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat May 17, 2014 11:04 am

Mitchell -- I have wondered for years, but never asked, why is 7 miles your go to run?
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next